PDA

View Full Version : Cubs, Red Cubs and Mariners deal?

getonbckthr
01-04-2006, 01:51 PM
A buddy of mine just mentioned he heard rumors of a deal involving these 3 teams with Patterson, Ibanez, Reed and Arroyo being mentioned. Anyone with information on this 1?

DaleJRFan
01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
typical rumor mill crap from mlbtraderumors.com... the webmaster there probably lifted it from a Cubs board.

Chek2002
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
From mlbtraderumors.com:

A reliable source told me today about a three-way deal that is "imminent." It's always risky to throw around "imminent," but I'm just quoting him here.
Here's the scenario:
BOS gives: Bronson Arroyo (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/bronson-arroyo.shtml), Tony Graffanino (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/tony-graffanino.shtml), PTBNL
BOS gets: Jeremy Reed (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/jeremy-reed.shtml), Will Ohman (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/will-ohman.shtml)
CHC gives: Corey Patterson (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/corey-patterson.shtml), Ohman
CHC gets: Raul Ibanez (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/I/raul-ibanez.shtml), Graffanino, cash
SEA gives: Reed, Ibanez, cash
SEA gets: Arroyo, Patterson, PTBNL
Let's evaluate. There's no doubt the Cubs would be making out like bandits in this trade. Corey Patterson is useless to them, even as a fourth outfielder. 28 year-old lefty Ohman tossed a solid 43 innings this year, and seems recovered from his January 2002 Tommy John surgery.

Uncle_Patrick
01-04-2006, 02:09 PM
I heard about this rumor, too, only I heard that Reed would end up with the Cubs.

kittle42
01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
A friendly favor to ask:

STOP READING MLBTRADERUMORS.COM BECAUSE IT'S A BUNCH OF CRAP.

And, if for some reason you still want to read the completely fabricated drivel posted there, for heaven's sake, keep it to yourself!

Thanks! :wink:

Chicken Dinner
01-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Why would SEA give up Reed to get Patterson??

SoxSpeed22
01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Why would SEA give up Reed to get Patterson??Is there really that much of a difference?

Tragg
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Is there really that much of a difference?
Yes - Reed is a quality defender and isn't a proven major league flop, in contrast to Patterson.
I'd much rather Reed over a lot of that sort of player, including willy taveras. AT least Reed walked 10% of the time.
I thought Graff was a free agent; did he accept arbitration or something?

SoxSpeed22
01-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I thought Graff was a free agent; did he accept arbitration or something?Yes, he accepted.

Tragg
01-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes, he accepted.
Smart move, because he was somehow listed as a class A free agent and no one would have given up draft choices to sign him. Of course that begs the question - how in the world is a so-so utility player (or a so-so regular) a class A free agent?

The Deacon
01-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Is there really that much of a difference?

Not much. Patterson is a year older(25),has more experience and has put up at least decent MLB numbers. He did after all hit 24HRs, 70+RBI and 32SBs in a season. If I was a team I would definitely take a flyer for the right price on Patterson. I'm sure he'll do better once he gets out of the Urinal.
The jury is still out on Reed but it isnt looking very good. He didnt show much this year.

getonbckthr
01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
They get Arroyo as well.

ShoelessJoeS
01-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Not much. Patterson is a year older(25),has more experience and has put up at least decent MLB numbers. He did after all hit 24HRs, 70+RBI and 32SBs in a season. If I was a team I would definitely take a flyer for the right price on Patterson. I'm sure he'll do better once he gets out of the Urinal.
The jury is still out on Reed but it isnt looking very good. He didnt show much this year.
:tealpolice:
Patterson's defense is atroscious and he strikes out close to 150 times a year. Good stats for a leadoff hitter.

Tragg
01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
They also give up Ibanez, who isn't a bad hitter at all. The last 5 seasons he's had 340+ OBP and double digit homers. Nothing great, but better than some of these free agents like preston wilson. That would be a nice trade for the Cubs especially, as someone pointed out below, Patterson has zero value to the Cubs - he will not play there again. It would have been similar to us swinging a deal for Willie.

The Deacon
01-04-2006, 05:36 PM
:tealpolice:
Patterson's defense is atroscious and he strikes out close to 150 times a year. Good stats for a leadoff hitter.

Patterson does K alot. His defense is average. I personally dislike Patterson but he also has 40-40 potential and frankly that cant be denied at the age of 25. One major problem is that everyone assumes he is a leadoff hitter; he isn't.

santo=dorf
01-04-2006, 06:33 PM
but he also has 40-40 potential and frankly that cant be denied at the age of 25. One major problem is that everyone assumes he is a leadoff hitter; he isn't.
Steve Phillips, is that you? He's never stole 40 bases (he doesn't have a shot because his career OBP is am atrocious .293,) and his career high in homers is 24, only 40% short of the 40 homer plateau.

BTW, Patteson will be 27 next August, had a salary of $2.4 million last season, and just flat out sucks.

1951Campbell
01-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Yeah! Reed's a first ballot HOFer!

The Deacon
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Steve Phillips, is that you? He's never stole 40 bases (he doesn't have a shot because his career OBP is am atrocious .293,) and his career high in homers is 24, only 40% short of the 40 homer plateau.

BTW, Patteson will be 27 next August, had a salary of $2.4 million last season, and just flat out sucks.

Actually it's Gord Ash. Hey, I never said I liked Patterson. In fact, I said i DISliked him. My only point in talking about Patterson in the first place is that Jeremy Reed has not proven himself to be any better than him. Reed may very well end up better than Patterson, but like I said initially, Patterson has a better track record at this point and that really isnt saying much.

Fenway
01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
from the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/01/no_way_on_3way.html

January 04, 2006
No way on 3-way
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff
The hot stove rumors are out there. There's a 3-way trade outlined today on the mlbtraderumors.com blog:

"Cubs/Red Sox/Mariners Trade Possible

A reliable source told me today about a three-way deal that is "imminent." It's always risky to throw around "imminent," but I'm just quoting him here.
Here's the scenario:
BOS gives: Bronson Arroyo, Tony Graffanino, PTBNL
BOS gets: Jeremy Reed, Will Ohman
CHC gives: Corey Patterson, Ohman
CHC gets: Raul Ibanez, Graffanino, cash
SEA gives: Reed, Ibanez, cash
SEA gets: Arroyo, Patterson, PTBNL"

My understanding is that this trade is a nonstarter. Ain't happening.

A friendly favor to ask:

STOP READING MLBTRADERUMORS.COM BECAUSE IT'S A BUNCH OF CRAP.

And, if for some reason you still want to read the completely fabricated drivel posted there, for heaven's sake, keep it to yourself!

Thanks! :wink:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-04-2006, 09:08 PM
I think this qualifies as the dumbest "rumor" yet.

This offseason has to be the one with the most BS rumors I've ever heard in my life. And whoever is running that website (cubtraderumors.com) is just going out of his way to give his fellow goofy Cub fans hope.

Stop. Reading. That. Crap.

Go look at his archives and read all his rumors. How many of them turned up to be true? Don't count the ones he got from the Boston Herald, New York Times, or Chicago Tribune. Just count the ones where he states "A reliable source informed me...."

kittle42
01-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Stop. Reading. That. Crap.

Go look at his archives and read all his rumors. How many of them turned up to be true? Don't count the ones he got from the Boston Herald, New York Times, or Chicago Tribune. Just count the ones where he states "A reliable source informed me...."
Unfortunately, a handful of folks on WSI have more fun not taking that advice.

Exit_Only
01-05-2006, 01:13 AM
My only point in talking about Patterson in the first place is that Jeremy Reed has not proven himself to be any better than him. Reed may very well end up better than Patterson, but like I said initially, Patterson has a better track record at this point and that really isnt saying much.

Actually, your original point was that you'd take a flier on Patterson. Trading Jeremy Reed for him is not a flier.

brick1119
01-05-2006, 11:25 AM

On the flip side of that, that's what would drive me crazy about being a Cubs fan. We keep hearing about the great Felix Pie, but then they trade for Juan Pierre. Why trade for one and then keep the other???? I've got friends who are losing their hair and taken up smoking over the Cubs' moves. Heh heh.

All that being said, I don't even think they are insanely redundant enough to then go out and get Jeremy Reed too. Just doesn't add up.