PDA

View Full Version : Preston Wilson to Astros

kittle42
01-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2279370)

1951Campbell
01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Nothing like 148 K's to shore up a poor offense.

Tragg
01-03-2006, 10:46 PM
The Astros will start making more serious moves next year, once they are rid of Bagwell's $18mill albatross. The Wilson deal is 1 year for a reason.

Regardless of Bagwell's salary, however, McClain isn't exactly opening up the checkbook for a team that has been drawing great for the last few seasons, especially since he preached for that "If you come, I'll spend the money".

spiffie
01-03-2006, 11:49 PM
The Astros will start making more serious moves next year, once they are rid of Bagwell's $18mill albatross. The Wilson deal is 1 year for a reason.

Regardless of Bagwell's salary, however, McClain isn't exactly opening up the checkbook for a team that has been drawing great for the last few seasons, especially since he preached for that "If you come, I'll spend the money".
Well, they do have to keep 15-20 million aside in case Clemens comes back on May 1.

ChiSoxRowand
01-04-2006, 12:00 AM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

They already have Tavares, Lane, and Burke for the outfield. Plus Berkman if bagwell is healthy next year.

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

They already have Tavares, Lane, and Burke for the outfield. Plus Berkman if bagwell is healthy next year.

Burke is really a 2B, they may be preparing for life w/out CB.

But honestly, unless Wilson can play SS, who cares?

Tragg
01-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, they do have to keep 15-20 million aside in case Clemens comes back on May 1. They should be raising payroll, though, just like we are. That stadium of theirs is jammed every night. And given that they won't raise payroll, I'd redirect that $15 million from Clemens, if I were them.

CPditka
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I know the speculation belongs in whats the score but.... is this move a precursor to Willy Taveras(sp) and some others being traded to the Sox for Jose C.?

Tragg
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I know the speculation belongs in whats the score but.... is this move a precursor to Willy Taveras(sp) and some others being traded to the Sox for Jose C.? Sure hope not;

OzzieBall2005
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Sure hope not;

I have no idea where this Willy Taveras bashing is coming from. He just turned 24 on Christmas Day. He would have lead this team in batting average last year and woulda been 2nd in steals. Everyone on this board can bark back at me, "Bad OBP....blah....blah..." He's young, fast, and Ozzie wants a faster player for the 2 hole. Remember, its not what we want. Ozzie is the most outspken manager on regards of voicing publicly what kinda team he wants to manage. Now if we could get Gallo and a prospect on top of it, i would welcome it w/ open arms. Not to mention the deflated payroll that goes along with it.

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 02:51 PM
I have no idea where this Willy Taveras bashing is coming from. He just turned 24 on Christmas Day. He would have lead this team in batting average last year and woulda been 2nd in steals. Everyone on this board can bark back at me, "Bad OBP....blah....blah..." He's young, fast, and Ozzie wants a faster player for the 2 hole. Remember, its not what we want. Ozzie is the most outspken manager on regards of voicing publicly what kinda team he wants to manage. Now if we could get Gallo and a prospect on top of it, i would welcome it w/ open arms. Not to mention the deflated payroll that goes along with it.

I agree with your reasoning. Trying to put a basher at every position is something we've done before, for several years actually, and got nowhere. So putting Tejada at SS is not necessary, but having a guy like Taveras would be okay, and if the deal was right I'd be in favor. But other than the SB, I think Anderson may have a better upside.

We made enough changes, we really need a couple bullpen guys and would feel better if one were established before ST.

If we keep trading everyone, the ring ceremony will last about 45 seconds!!

CanBuehrleWait
01-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Another one of those low risk high reward deals. For 4million this is not a bad gamble for Houston. IF he can stay healthy he is more then capable of putting up monster numbers. 2 years removed from putting up 140 rbis on a horrible Rockies team. Yadda Yadda so on so forth.

Tragg
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
I have no idea where this Willy Taveras bashing is coming from. He just turned 24 on Christmas Day. He would have lead this team in batting average last year and woulda been 2nd in steals. Everyone on this board can bark back at me, "Bad OBP....blah....blah..." He's young, fast, and Ozzie wants a faster player for the 2 hole. Remember, its not what we want. Ozzie is the most outspken manager on regards of voicing publicly what kinda team he wants to manage. Now if we could get Gallo and a prospect on top of it, i would welcome it w/ open arms. Not to mention the deflated payroll that goes along with it. For a player with no power, batting average is pretty irrelevant because a walk is as good in most cases as a hit. So in TAveras' case, OBP is particularly relevant. The 2 hole hitter needs to get on base, and a good way for a slap hitter like Taveras to do that is via walking, which he doesn't do very well. And the fact is we traded for a masher named Jim Thome; and what we need are players who can get on base in front of him so that he and Konerko can drive them in.

I know what Ozzie said, but I'd bet we do less stealing and bunting with Thome/Konerko batting 3rd and 4th (or Tejada/Thome/Konerko batting 3, 4, 5).

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I know what Ozzie said, but I'd bet we do less stealing and bunting with Thome/Konerko batting 3rd and 4th (or Tejada/Thome/Konerko batting 3, 4, 5).

Thome third? I don't know, don't you think he K's a way bit too much for third? I think fifth might be better for him, maybe Dye or Gooch in the third spot would be better.

Plus, Oz says he wants to try Uribe at #2, and he may pop a few here and there, but he's definitely no on base king. Maybe Crede or AJ batting second would be better. They are not OB guys either, but they make better contact than Iguchi or Uribe.

Well, I guess that's what ST is for, right?

JUribe1989
01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Wilson is a complete pull hitter and a fly ball hitter. He could hit 30+ HR easily in to the left field Landry's Crawford Boxes.

ilsox7
01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Thome third? I don't know, don't you think he K's a way bit too much for third? I think fifth might be better for him, maybe Dye or Gooch in the third spot would be better.

Plus, Oz says he wants to try Uribe at #2, and he may pop a few here and there, but he's definitely no on base king. Maybe Crede or AJ batting second would be better. They are not OB guys either, but they make better contact than Iguchi or Uribe.

Well, I guess that's what ST is for, right?

Thome will have the best OBP on the team, though. May want him on base for PK all of the time.

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Thome will have the best OBP on the team, though. May want him on base for PK all of the time.

True, point taken.