PDA

View Full Version : Burnitz now to Pirates

soxfanreggie
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2278782 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2278782)

Reported before that he would accept a $10-12 million, 2 year deal with Baltimore but now that he would accept a $6 million, 1 year deal with the Pirates with an option for 2007.

OzzieBall2005
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Not bad at the corners......Burnitz, Bay, Randa, Casey

RKMeibalane
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM

The Pirates are still a long way from being competitive again, but these changes should at least make the team watchable.

SABRSox
01-03-2006, 08:33 PM

Jason Bay now has lineup protection, something he's never had. He'll be a good one to own in fantasy next season. Borderline 1st round pick...

santo=dorf
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I believe this is the biggest free agent (money wise) Pittsburgh has ever signed. :o:

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
2006 Pirates:

SS Jack Wilson
3B Joe Randa
1B Sean Casey
LF Jason Bay
RF Jeromy Burnitz
2B Jose Castillo
CF Chris Duffy
C Humberto Cota

Plus, adding Carrera, Marte, and Hernandez, with a solid pitching staff that already has excellent stuff, this team could be a real pleasant suprise in the NL, especially with Jim Tracy at the helm. I am really liking the makeup of this team, even the bench looks good.

The Bucs and Brew Crew are my picks to shock the NL in 2006. I hope the overpaying Cards, cubs, and Disastros finish behind both of them.

The Dude
01-04-2006, 01:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2278782 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2278782)

Reported before that he would accept a $10-12 million, 2 year deal with Baltimore but now that he would accept a $6 million, 1 year deal with the Pirates with an option for 2007.

You know, most will laugh but this team has the talent to finish 2nd and could surprise people. I think at the very least, they will finish ahead of the Flubs, Reds, and Brew Crew

Hangar18
01-04-2006, 10:24 AM
2006 Pirates:

SS Jack Wilson
3B Joe Randa
1B Sean Casey
LF Jason Bay
RF Jeromy Burnitz
2B Jose Castillo
CF Chris Duffy
C Humberto Cota

Plus, adding Carrera, Marte, and Hernandez, with a solid pitching staff that already has excellent stuff, this team could be a real pleasant suprise in the NL, especially with Jim Tracy at the helm. I am really liking the makeup of this team, even the bench looks good.

The Bucs and Brew Crew are my picks to shock the NL in 2006. I hope the overpaying Cards, cubs, and Disastros finish behind both of them.

Im not sold on this team. Humor me and tell me more about their pitching staff ......

dropkick371
01-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Im not sold on this team. Humor me and tell me more about their pitching staff ......Zach Duke's looking to be the star of the pitching staff, with an 8-2 1.81 ERA in his rookie season. He was called up in July of last year.

Kip Wells had about the worst year possible last year, (8-18, leading the leagues in losses, with 5.09 ERA). He more or less fell apart at the end of the year and most expect him to do much better in '06, if only because he can't do any worse.

Oliver Perez was doing well before kicking a laundry cart, resulting in a broken toe which had him on the DL for a good chunk of the season. I'm looking for him to pick it up if he can stay away from carts.

Paul Maholm was brought up at the end of the year, but most seem to think he'll be a great compliment to Duke, with a 3-1 2.88 ERA in the time he was up (which isn't really even long enough to justify including his major league numbers, but went 7-3 with a 3.30 ERA in 22 minor league starts and was named the Pirates Minor League Pitcher of the Year).

Victor Santos will most likely close out the starters, having been acquired from the Royals in the Rule 5 draft.

Most Bucco fans are somewhat worried about aquiring Burnitz, if only because he's 37 and, as with Randa, doesn't really help us beyond 2006. I'm very cautiously optimistic about the Pirates chances in '06, but Littlefield is finally doing something other than making completely awful trades, so we'll see how it goes.

soxinem1
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Im not sold on this team. Humor me and tell me more about their pitching staff ......

I didn't pick them to win the WS, or even their division. But with Houson possibly weakening a little they could win the WC.

Though a little raw, this staff, stuff wise, is among the best in MLB, and many of those young pitchers have done quite well the last couple months.

They have two lefties in the pen with great stuff (Gonzalez and Marte) and their entire bullpen, except Torres and Vogelsong, will probably average well over a K an inning. They may be a little lefty heavy, but that's a good problem to have, because they are all tough on righties too. As a staff, they remind me a lot of the 1990 White Sox.

If they could get Wells to just win 13 or so, this can be a real tough team. Plus that IF is one of the underrated defensive ones in the NL, I think they can suprise. Plus now they have a manager who can manage and run a game with the best of them. The sure look better than the 2004 Dodgers, except for Gagne, and they won the Division.

We shall see.

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I didn't pick them to win the WS, or even their division. But with Houson possibly weakening a little they could win the WC.

Though a little raw, this staff, stuff wise, is among the best in MLB, and many of those young pitchers have done quite well the last couple months.

They have two lefties in the pen with great stuff (Gonzalez and Marte) and their entire bullpen, except Torres and Vogelsong, will probably average well over a K an inning. They may be a little lefty heavy, but that's a good problem to have, because they are all tough on righties too. As a staff, they remind me a lot of the 1990 White Sox.

If they could get Wells to just win 13 or so, this can be a real tough team. Plus that IF is one of the underrated defensive ones in the NL, I think they can suprise. Plus now they have a manager who can manage and run a game with the best of them. The sure look better than the 2004 Dodgers, except for Gagne, and they won the Division.

We shall see.

These are both good arguments, this team very well could gel and take an Us-vs-the world mentality, seeing how low their payroll is compared to the Tribune Entertainment Corporation and the Cardinals. Will be very interesting .............

Chisox003
01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
I've been on the Brewers band-wagon for awhile, but who else is joining me and jumping on with the Pirates? They might, just might, have a shot at this thing....:o:

Go Brew Crew and Buccos!

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Go Brew Crew and Buccos!

I'll climb aboard and cheer for the Brew Crew, but its going to take some time for me to warm to the dumbest team in baseball the last few years, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Some of the trades they made, especially with the Cubs, were just so shockingly bad, even I was angry about the trade-and Im not even a Pirates fan!! Imagine how those people felt. Ramirez/Lofton for Bobby Hill? They deserve every 100 loss season theyve got comingto them. But i'll follow with morbid curiousity

soxinem1
01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I'll climb aboard and cheer for the Brew Crew, but its going to take some time for me to warm to the dumbest team in baseball the last few years, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Some of the trades they made, especially with the Cubs, were just so shockingly bad, even I was angry about the trade-and Im not even a Pirates fan!! Imagine how those people felt. Ramirez/Lofton for Bobby Hill? They deserve every 100 loss season theyve got comingto them. But i'll follow with morbid curiousity

Hey don't forget the Bucs got Jose Hernandez in that deal too!! Plus, Randall Simon was a decent little pick up in 2003 that they just gave to the cubs.

In all seriousness, I think they wanted to dump Ramirez because of his Clayton-like attitude. Littlefield didn't care who he got, he just wanted to dump his salary and his half*** attitude.

If the grass gets any higher on wiggley's INF to cover for Ramirez total lack of range, they will get cited by the city for an improperly maintained lawn!

SOXintheBURGH
01-05-2006, 07:56 PM

I am one of those people. I puked that night, I remember it vividly. I found out about the trade at about 1:00 in the afternoon and started drinking bottom shelf whiskey.

dropkick371
01-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey don't forget the Bucs got Jose Hernandez in that deal too!! Plus, Randall Simon was a decent little pick up in 2003 that they just gave to the cubs.

In all seriousness, I think they wanted to dump Ramirez because of his Clayton-like attitude. Littlefield didn't care who he got, he just wanted to dump his salary and his half*** attitude.

If the grass gets any higher on wiggley's INF to cover for Ramirez total lack of range, they will get cited by the city for an improperly maintained lawn!That, and pressure from the owners not to spend any money whatsoever. I won't put up much of an argument against Littlefield being one of, if not the worst GMs in baseball, and certainly wouldn't argue with the Nuttings and McClatchy being among the worst owners, but hopefully moves this season will allow the Bucs to at least put up .500.

Or the owners will get out after they've made enough from the All-Star game this year and will sell to someone whose name isn't "Ogden".

That said, the Ramirez trade was as though Littlefield went to the house of everyone in Pittsburgh and punched a kitten.

SOXintheBURGH
01-05-2006, 08:21 PM
That, and pressure from the owners not to spend any money whatsoever. I won't put up much of an argument against Littlefield being one of, if not the worst GMs in baseball, and certainly wouldn't argue with the Nuttings and McClatchy being among the worst owners, but hopefully moves this season will allow the Bucs to at least put up .500.

Or the owners will get out after they've made enough from the All-Star game this year and will sell to someone whose name isn't "Ogden".

That said, the Ramirez trade was as though Littlefield went to the house of everyone in Pittsburgh and punched a kitten.

100% absolutely correct.
Cheers. :gulp:

soxinem1
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
That, and pressure from the owners not to spend any money whatsoever. I won't put up much of an argument against Littlefield being one of, if not the worst GMs in baseball, and certainly wouldn't argue with the Nuttings and McClatchy being among the worst owners, but hopefully moves this season will allow the Bucs to at least put up .500.

I agree with you. It makes you wonder what one has to do to be approved as an owner of a MLB team. I feel bad when most (not including a certain NS team) of the old franchises struggle repeatedly after a long history of success, and this team needs an owner who cares a little more. I know Pitt has always been a football town, however this team drew decently in the days when 2 Million fans was a lot to draw.

But I still can't believe they signed Burnitz! He and Casey will be the highest paid guys in team history, won't they?

If they by some miracle do suprise and play the Sox in the 2006 World Series I would root for the Sox, of course, but I would root for them over anyone else.

I feel bad for the real fans of the team, and hope they can become contenders again, if just to knock a few other teams off their comfy perches.

StillMissOzzie
01-06-2006, 01:07 AM
I believe this is the biggest free agent (money wise) Pittsburgh has ever signed. :o:

How soon we forget the Jason Kendall signing, not that he's still with the Pirates anymore...:o:

SMO
:rolleyes: :gulp: