PDA

View Full Version : New Game Times

Dub25
01-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Any one know why the Sox went back to 1:05 starts on Sundays? I do like the 7:35 starts for Friday games.

ewokpelts
01-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Any one know why the Sox went back to 1:05 starts on Sundays? I do like the 7:35 starts for Friday games.
Because some people complained that the 2:05 stars were too late. In fact, it was BETTER for them attendance wise, as well as convienent for fans. I loved having extra time on my sunday mornings.
Gene

thomas35forever
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Because some people complained that the 2:05 stars were too late. In fact, it was BETTER for them attendance wise, as well as convienent for fans. I loved having extra time on my sunday mornings.
Gene

Couldn't put it any better myself.

delben91
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Gene

Those of us on the east coast, or at least I, will enjoy the 1:05 starts. With the time difference, a 2pm eastern game on the east coast will be grand, for much the same reason a 2pm central time game would be grand for you folks around Chicago.

samram
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Those of us on the east coast, or at least I, will enjoy the 1:05 starts. With the time difference, a 2pm eastern game on the east coast will be grand, for much the same reason a 2pm central time game would be grand for you folks around Chicago.

Yeah. Waiting until 3 sucked. Getting the game over by 4:30 or 5 Eastern will leave a lot more time to do stuff on Sunday evenings during the summer. I mean, really, the Sox should be scheduling games for the convenience of people 600 miles away.:D:

ChiSoxGirl
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I LOVE the 7:35p start times on Fridays. Coming from Des Plaines and wanting to arrive for BP, it takes me AT LEAST an hour to get to the ballpark (sometimes and hour & a half! :angry:) more often than not, so this will help with the traffic situation on the Kennedy a little bit.

In regards to the Sunday games going back to 1:05p, I'm not a fan. Again, wanting to get to the ballpark for BP, I'll have to be there by 11:15a (11:30a at the latest), meaning I don't get to sleep in as long as I would this year when the gates didn't open 'til 12:30p. But will this curb me from going to as many games as I did this year? Absolutely not! :bandance: As sleep deprived as I was during the playoffs and World Series, getting up a little earlier on my Sundays will pale in comparison to the crazy (lack of) sleep schedule I was keeping in September & October!

itsnotrequired
01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I like the 1:05 start, especially for Sundays. Sunday night is my "wind-down" time and the more the better. A 1:05 start will allow me to catch the game at the park and be home 4:30-5:00 (assuming MB is not pitching). Perfect time for making dinner and catching the Sunday shows (Simpsons, et al).

Ron Karkovice
01-04-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't care what time they start. I will be there. (mostly on my couch as I only go to 5-8 games a year)

soxgirl617
01-04-2006, 08:13 AM
I like the 1:05 start, especially for Sundays. Sunday night is my "wind-down" time and the more the better. A 1:05 start will allow me to catch the game at the park and be home 4:30-5:00 (assuming MB is not pitching). Perfect time for making dinner and catching the Sunday shows (Simpsons, et al).

I agree. I dislike the 2:05 start time, as that's right in the middle of the day. The 1:05 start still gives you plenty of time to have breakfast and (if you choose) go to church in the morning, while not eating up your whole day. Applause for the change!

salty99
01-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I like both time changes. They usually do a survey of season ticket holders about game times so a majority of those people most likely wanted the changes.

Deuce
01-04-2006, 08:30 AM
The time changes rule. I have a 5 hour drive back to St. Louis after the Sunday games, so the hour will really come in handy.

Deuce

SoxFan78
01-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Put me down for liking the change also. Games that start at 2:05 end around 4:45-5:15 which means I wouldn't get home till around 6:00 PM, then it felt my whole night was gone. I like this alot with my split season package.

GO SOX!

01-04-2006, 08:56 AM
The Shawdows seemed to be a problem with the 2:05 start, by 4:30, it was a dark cloud around home and sunny at the pitching mound....thats why I don't like the 3pm start either....7:35 on Friday is great, no more sneaking out of work early and rushing home and back.....

Sad
01-04-2006, 09:03 AM

same here...
living in MI a 1:05 game gets me that extra hour at home I look forward to after a game & driving back from the park... I plan to attend a few Sunday games again this season...

cubhater
01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
No complaints about the 1:05 Sunday starts since it gives me an extra hour for the post-game pool party at my neighbor's place!:bandance:

mweflen
01-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I prefer 1:05 because it gives you an extra hour for the rest of your day, whatever you may need to do.

White City
01-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Granted, down here in Georgia, that might be a more relevant question than in Chicago. :redneck

There has to be some Sox fans that go to church and will now find it harder to go to Sunday games. I'm not implying that this number of fans is equal to or greater than the number who take long drives after the game, and thus will appreciate the earlier start time.

Just curious how much this might have factored into the schedule change to 2:05 in the first place.

mantis1212
01-04-2006, 10:54 AM
I LOVE the later Friday night starts. For someone who works in Schaumburg (or anywhere in the burbs), dealing with Friday evening traffic makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get to the game on time.

TDog
01-04-2006, 11:04 AM
The time changes rule. I have a 5 hour drive back to St. Louis after the Sunday games, so the hour will really come in handy.

Deuce

When I was in Wisconsin, I went to a lot of Sunday Sox games with the 1:05 start. When the games were over, my priority was getting home as early as I could. Sundays are the best days for people to trek distances for Sox baseball. I never understood the later start.

In Alaska, Sunday Sox home games will start at 10:05 a.m. I could get the ballgame out of the way, leaving time to do things in the afternoon. Good move.

alohafri
01-04-2006, 12:13 PM

Amen. Gets me home in time to finish grading homework AND get my Teri Hatcher fix.

As far as the 7:35 time on Friday, it gives me a bit more time to tailgate before Friday games, but it could make Friday nights a little longer, thus make Saturday mornings in the pro shop very interesting!

steff
01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
1:05 cuts into Zook's golf schedule so he's not too happy about it.

I don't care either way.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I like both time changes. They usually do a survey of season ticket holders about game times so a majority of those people most likely wanted the changes.

They usually do, but I don't recall seeing one on this. I hate the change and prefer the 2pm start. Getting the extra morning time was nice. We could even do lunch at home as a family, leave at 12:30 and still have plenty of time. Whether you get home at 5pm or 6pm, who cares on the back end? What do most people do on Sunday night? NOTHING anyway!

steff
01-04-2006, 12:50 PM
They usually do, but I don't recall seeing one on this. I hate the change and prefer the 2pm start. Getting the extra morning time was nice. We could even do lunch at home as a family, leave at 12:30 and still have plenty of time. Whether you get home at 5pm or 6pm, who cares on the back end? What do most people do on Sunday night? NOTHING anyway!

You're right.. there was no survey on this change.

soxgirl617
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Granted, down here in Georgia, that might be a more relevant question than in Chicago. :redneck

There has to be some Sox fans that go to church and will now find it harder to go to Sunday games. I'm not implying that this number of fans is equal to or greater than the number who take long drives after the game, and thus will appreciate the earlier start time.

Just curious how much this might have factored into the schedule change to 2:05 in the first place.

As I noted earlier in the thread, a 1:05 start time still gives you plenty of time to go to church and still make the game (unless you insist on a noon service, or something.) I don't think the move back will hurt, and it gives more family time, or wind down time, or laziness time, in the evening.

goofymsfan
01-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I LOVE the 7:35p start times on Fridays. Coming from Des Plaines and wanting to arrive for BP, it takes me AT LEAST an hour to get to the ballpark (sometimes and hour & a half! :angry:) more often than not, so this will help with the traffic situation on the Kennedy a little bit.

In regards to the Sunday games going back to 1:05p, I'm not a fan. Again, wanting to get to the ballpark for BP, I'll have to be there by 11:15a (11:30a at the latest), meaning I don't get to sleep in as long as I would this year when the gates didn't open 'til 12:30p. But will this curb me from going to as many games as I did this year? Absolutely not! :bandance: As sleep deprived as I was during the playoffs and World Series, getting up a little earlier on my Sundays will pale in comparison to the crazy (lack of) sleep schedule I was keeping in September & October!

I changed my work hours so I no longer have to miss the afternoon games. Won't be getting much sleep, but I'll be seeing lots of baseball!

DannyCaterFan
01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I love the idea of 7:35 Friday night starting time. I have said for years that part of the reason we had attendance problems is that the 7:05 start time does not leave much time for the average person to get home from work and then negotiate the traffic back to the ballpark. I can remember when night games started as late as 8:05 back in the sixties.

I want Mags back
01-04-2006, 06:10 PM
the best was the 3:05 start on Memorial day. My family didnt know what to do, and i was like "Lets go to the game" had it of been at 1:05 it would have been long soldout by when we got their, since i suggested it about noon

Dub25
01-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Amen. Gets me home in time to finish grading homework AND get my Teri Hatcher fix.

As far as the 7:35 time on Friday, it gives me a bit more time to tailgate before Friday games, but it could make Friday nights a little longer, thus make Saturday mornings in the pro shop very interesting!

Good call on the extra tailgating. However, does anyone think extra Friday tailgating will result in a rowdier crowd? I know it's only an extra half hour but amatuers can do some damage with that extra time.

samram
01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
the best was the 3:05 start on Memorial day. My family didnt know what to do, and i was like "Lets go to the game" had it of been at 1:05 it would have been long soldout by when we got their, since i suggested it about noon

Yeah, but if the game was at 1, you would have decided to go earlier in the day.