PDA

View Full Version : are we starting to become the yankees

repeat06
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
With the payroll going up and the sox trading for big names do you think we are starting to become the yankees. :(:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
With the payroll going up and the sox trading for big names do you think we are starting to become the yankees. :(:

Please....not a good 4th post to start your career off here.
Making moves to PROTECT what you won vs. trying to BUY a title are two completely different things.

HomeFish
01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
There's a big difference between $100 million and $200 million.

The White Sox are not the Yankees. They will never be the Yankees. They do not have the rich history or winning tradition of the Yankees, nor do they have the same kind of revenue streams. There is simply no comparison at all to be made, except perhaps for both being in the same league, playing the same sport, and using certain Cuban pitchers.

Even when the White Sox -do- spend big money, it is (I would argue) with an entirely different philosophy than the Yankees of late.

EDIT: Moreover, we also have a modern ballpark and names on the back of our jersey. And a World Championship in the 21st century. The Yankees don't, though they're getting the first one soon.

Dolly
01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
What????? Sorry, I've never used this tag before, but....
:threadsucks .....hard.

Ron Karkovice
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
What????? Sorry, I've never used this tag before, but....
:threadsucks .....hard.

I think you can also add one of those teal police pictures. This has got to be a joke.

voodoochile
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
You mean are the Sox going to win 27 world championships in the next 100 years doing whatever it takes and spending whatever it takes to win at all costs?

I damned well hope so...:rolleyes:

jehosaphat
01-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Only in the sense that we are going to be contenders year after year after year........

You can start worrying about this when the Sox players no longer have hair on their face
:dtroll:

Fenway
01-03-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.piscesposters.com/russ/baseball/2001/paintedfaces.jpg

samram
01-03-2006, 02:22 PM
You mean are the Sox going to win 27 world championships in the next 100 years doing whatever it takes and spending whatever it takes to win at all costs?

I'll have what he's having.

Chicken Dinner
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
When was the last time you've seen the Yankees invest in pitching?

DaleJRFan
01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
When was the last time you've seen the Yankees invest in pitching?

They've invested quite a large sum of payrole on pitching... BAD, overrated pitching. Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright... all ring a bell...

Dan Mega
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM

Or the Sox could settle for 27 simulated championships like the Northsiders!

KRS1
01-03-2006, 02:43 PM
There is a smart conservative way to have a big payroll, like locking in key pieces of your team to long-term deals(see AJP, Paulie, Jon and our whole pitching staff). Then there is an aggresive, non-conservative and just dumb way to handle your finances like handing out 20mil to guys like Giambi and a 43 year old RJ, or 10+mil to to Jared Wright and Carl Pavano. For those who compare our contract with Jon to that of Pavano are too dumb to see we gave and average of 10 to a young guy who has improved at a good rate and shows signs of getting much better, whereas Carl was a 30 year old starter who had 1 good season at a not so young age and really never showed any improvement on his 'stuff'.

Baby Fisk
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Please, please, please, never liken the White Sox to the Yankers.

01-03-2006, 02:53 PM
They've invested quite a large sum of payrole on pitching... BAD, overrated pitching. Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Jaret Wright... all ring a bell...

Javier Vazquez...

SouthSide_HitMen
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www.piscesposters.com/russ/baseball/2001/paintedfaces.jpg

This is what I think of when I think of Yankee fans:

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2005-08/18891101.jpg

(Check out the Liverpool fan in the background!)

DSpivack
01-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Javier Vazquez...

We're paying him, what, $7 million a year? Quite a bit different than the Yanks. Although, I still think they got unlucky considering his stuff and track record.

santo=dorf
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM

Randy Johnson was a very good pitcher in 2005. Granted he gave up more homers than normal and didn't win 30 games like Kruk predicted but he was 4th in wins, 2nd in WHIP, 4th in K/9, 2nd in K's, 5th in IP, and 5th in K/BB

Uncle_Patrick
01-03-2006, 03:45 PM

This is silly. Even with a higher payroll and couple of trades, the White Sox are long way off from being the Yankees. The White Sox have half the payroll and far, far fewer "big names" than the Yankees.

This can't be serious. I've only heard one other person compare the White Sox to the Yankees, and that was a psychotic Twins' fan who has a hard time with reality and who believes that it was unfair for the White Sox to have the highest payroll in the AL Central.

:dtroll:

batmanZoSo
01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
There's a big difference between $100 million and $200 million.

The White Sox are not the Yankees. They will never be the Yankees. They do not have the rich history or winning tradition of the Yankees, nor do they have the same kind of revenue streams. There is simply no comparison at all to be made, except perhaps for both being in the same league, playing the same sport, and using certain Cuban pitchers.

Even when the White Sox -do- spend big money, it is (I would argue) with an entirely different philosophy than the Yankees of late.

EDIT: Moreover, we also have a modern ballpark and names on the back of our jersey. And a World Championship in the 21st century. The Yankees don't, though they're getting the first one soon.

I consider 2000 to be the 21st century. And if it isn't, when was it decided that the Yankees were going to win it all soon? Why wasn't I informed about this?!

chisoxfan64
01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Ummmmmm

No!

TheDarkGundam
01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I consider 2000 to be the 21st century. And if it isn't, when was it decided that the Yankees were going to win it all soon? Why wasn't I informed about this?!
He means they are getting a new ballpark soon.

SoxSpeed22
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Notta chance. Thome was a big name 3 years ago, Vazquez was never a big name, Contreras was labeled a big dissapointment and our players that we had at first are the ones that we are keeping. Most of the spent money this year, was used to keep our players that got us to the top, Garland, Konerko, Pierzynski. Only when we start signing big name free agents for ridiculous contracts do we become the Yankees.
Say hello to the ****house.

The Deacon
01-03-2006, 04:42 PM

I hope so. The Yankees are in the playoffs every year. I'd be quite happy with that.

RichFitztightly
01-03-2006, 09:51 PM

You know what... I'm gonna back this guy for a minute. I've said on more than one occasion this off-season that this must be what it's like to be a Yankee fan. Here's my thinking, while as a team you can't compare the Sox to the Yankees, these past 2 off-seasons consisted of block-buster deals that left no doubt the people in charge had no other motivation than to win. That hasn't always been the case in this city.

This is a similar philosophy to what the Yankees have. This year, there seems to no obstacle in Kenny's way to procure the best team possible, that also is very Yankee-esque. There is still some concerns about a budget in Chicago, which forces the Sox to rely on other means of attracting baseball talent other than just out-bidding opponents. The biggest difference between the Sox/Yankees in my mind is that the Sox have better baseball people with a better sense of constructing the best team. Also, the Sox are finding that their budget is growing which lessens the likelyhood of losing a player strictly because of money concerns.

Finally, another reason why I feel like a Yankee fan right now is that if the season were to start today, I feel the Sox have the strongest team heading into the season. This is a feeling that was once the sole propriety of Yankee fans.

I don't think we're the Yankees of now, but hopefully we become like the Yankees juggernaut of the 90's which was a team that complimented each other and fought to win by any means necessary. But with the baseball minds employed in our organization, I hope the front office stops before they start over-paying an all-star team of individuals.

Palehose13
01-03-2006, 09:55 PM

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind being hated for being a champion.

BNLSox
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM

You beat me to it!

The Yanks may frustrate us all and be evil, but they want to win, and hell thats better than half the league.

NonetheLoaiza
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind being hated for being a champion.

I think that one of the keys is that once you win a championship, not only fans, but also players take notice. There is a sudden realization that the team is committed to winning, especially if they do what Kenny has done this offseason so far. It's going to attract players that want to play for a winner. So in that respect, the Sox are becoming like the Yankees. The only difference is that Kenny doesn't just go out and get the biggest name because his owner told him too. Kenny seems to have a great baseball mind. If that gets us hated, I'm fine with that. The only difference, I think, is that people resent losing out on every player to the Yankees because those teams don't have enough cash. The Sox don't really play that game.

However, I wouldn't mind winning 27 championships...in a row...

Tragg
01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Becoming the Yankees is great.

It's becoming the Mets or the Orioles that must be avoided.

Fredsox
01-04-2006, 08:20 PM
In 104 seasons the Yankees havew won 39 pennants and the aforementioned 26 World Series. Per Baseball Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/)

New York Yankees (1913 - 2005) - 26 World Championships, 39 Pennants, and 45 Playoff Appearances
New York Highlanders (1903 - 1912)
Baltimore Orioles (1901, 1902)37.5% of the time they are either winning the championship or playing for it. THAT is something special. It is easy to see why their fans can be arrogant, I think I would be too if we had a record like that.

OK, we've got 3 rings, only 23 more to go!

kevin57
01-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Before the 2005 season the Sox were in the middle of the payroll pack. When the dust settles and all the FA's are signed, I'll bet about a third of all MLB teams will still have higher payrolls.

Lip Man 1
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
If, by your question, you mean having an 'attitude' about not accepting losing or mediocrity, about contending for a post season spot seemingly every season and for wanting to be the #1 franchise in your own home city then I certainly hope so.

Lip

Hangar18
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
If it means 23 more World Championships .......... im all for it :D: