PDA

View Full Version : KW to stand pat for now ?

White Sox Randy
01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Does anyone else have the feeling that KW is done making any moves - unless a desperate team offers him something that he can't refuse ?

I think that KW is fine with the 6 starters and giving McCarthy more time to develop and buying the team some insurance.

The position players seem settled with maybe a battle between Gload and Borchard for the last spot.

I thought that the bullpen needed some help but with McCarthy there, only a lefty is needed and Munoz might be ok.

It seems like they feel that with the starters being so good that they don't have a need for such a deep bullpen - and after what they did in the playoffs, who can argue ?

They might be all set. Anyone else agree ?

munchman33
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Yeah, if we carry six starters, then McCarthy is in the pen. Which means their is only one job up for grabs. It's not as dire a situation as some people like to make it out to be.

HomeFish
01-03-2006, 01:27 PM
He can't stay pat with 2 holes in the bullpen.

Tekijawa
01-03-2006, 01:33 PM

Yeah especially with starters who can pitch well into the 7th inning, and on any given day could regularly throw a CG out there... I'd feel fine with 3 pitchers in the bullpen, so who's the odd man out? Jenks, Cotts, Hermanson, or Polite?

Honestly people we have no HUGE HOLES and certainly nowhere near what every other major league team has... I think the Cubs would have killed to have 4 reliable arms in the pen like we do this year, especially with our staff! I say give the 2 remaining spots to guys from the minors that may or may not be ready! Heck, they'll probably only get 15-20 innings, in blow outs, at the most this season!

HomeFish
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah especially with starters who can pitch well into the 7th inning, and on any given day could regularly throw a CG out there... I'd feel fine with 3 pitchers in the bullpen, so who's the odd man out? Jenks, Cotts, Hermanson, or Polite?

Hermanson is unlikely to be a reliable reliever for much of the 2006 season, if ever again. His back injuries are beginning to effect his stuff. It's a sad situation, because I really grew to like him in 2005, but I no longer feel that he is reliable. And, of course, Marte is gone and has no replacement.

Any one of our bullpen guys could always have trouble and/or revert to inferior pre-2005 historical norms. Its nice to have a wealth of arms in there so somebody could step up.

You can never have too much pitching, after all. Your "good enough" attitude is a dangerous thing in baseball.

Jjav829
01-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Does anyone else have the feeling that KW is done making any moves - unless a desperate team offers him something that he can't refuse ?

I think that KW is fine with the 6 starters and giving McCarthy more time to develop and buying the team some insurance.

The position players seem settled with maybe a battle between Gload and Borchard for the last spot.

I thought that the bullpen needed some help but with McCarthy there, only a lefty is needed and Munoz might be ok.

It seems like they feel that with the starters being so good that they don't have a need for such a deep bullpen - and after what they did in the playoffs, who can argue ?

They might be all set. Anyone else agree ?

*checks calendar*

January 3rd? Kenny done? No way. We still have well over a month until Spring Training. Kenny would go bored just sitting around for all that time. :cool:

I meant that half-jokingly. I suppose it is possible that Kenny is done. I think he will still work on trying to find another lefty reliever and I think he probably wants some resolution to the Contreras situation. Plus he may very well be working hard on a Tejada deal right now.

munchman33
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Hermanson is unlikely to be a reliable reliever for much of the 2006 season, if ever again.

Tell me again where you got your medical degree?

I'm sure Kenny has a significantly more enlightened perspective of the Hermanson situation than you do. And if he's not doing anything about, that says a lot about the outlook on Hermanson's back.

spiffie
01-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Honestly people we have no HUGE HOLES and certainly nowhere near what every other major league team has... I think the Cubs would have killed to have 4 reliable arms in the pen like we do this year, especially with our staff! I say give the 2 remaining spots to guys from the minors that may or may not be ready! Heck, they'll probably only get 15-20 innings, in blow outs, at the most this season!
Problem is that every guy in the pen gets a good amount of work, because if there is any flaw, or more accurately, one point of concern in setting up the roster that one can often point to in Ozzie's in-game managing it is his ability to burn through the pen. He gets very enamored with one-batter matchups. So you do need to have steady arms from top to bottom in the pen. One more effective, proven bullpen arm seems to me a must-get before the season begins. If the very last spot is unproven, so be it, but to have 2 holes in the pen seems a bit risky to me.

Palehose13
01-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Nope. Tomorrow is Wednesday...I wonder what is going to happen. :cool:

A. Cavatica
01-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Once and for all...

WE WILL NOT KEEP 6 STARTERS. WHAT YOU HAVE READ IS CALLED 'POSTURING'.

A starter not named McCarthy will be traded by the end of spring training. I would not be shocked to see KW trade for another All-Star caliber position player, but we're obviously in the market for a reliable arm or two in the 'pen and a veteran outfielder. Marte and Vizcaino have not been replaced, Gload has no shot at a job and Borchard doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Tekijawa
01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Tell me again where you got your medical degree?

Hollywood Upstairs Medical College!

http://members.aol.com/klepperco7/simpsons/simpimg/nick_riviera.gif

Madvora
01-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I could see KW holding on until the trading deadline. Every other year I thought that was a stupid idea, but this year we actually have more than we know what to do with. If someone wants Contreras, his value will only go up by the deadline (if he doesn't get hurt before then.) Who knows if that's what KW would want to do in the stretch run though, because we would most likely just get prospects, then again if we have an injury ourselves, that's an easy way to make a replacement.

The Deacon
01-03-2006, 05:11 PM

If we stand pat, we only have 1 hole in the pen. McCarthy will fill Viz's role.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Kenny's not done. Still bullpen work to finish up. THEN he'll be done.

Lip