PDA

View Full Version : The Exploding Scoreboard:A poll.

Sox-on-TV44
01-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I know The "Exploding Scoreboard" is like the holy grail as far as us Sox fans are concerned.But what version of the board do you love?
1.1960-75.
http://majorleaguemodels.com/images/billveecks1960monsterin1967.gif

2.1976-81
http://majorleaguemodels.com/images/billveecks1960monsterinthelate70s.gif
3.1982-90
http://majorleaguemodels.com/images/cpjumbotron80s.gif
4.1991-current
http://majorleaguemodels.com/images/sb-uscellular.jpg

or
5.ALL OF THE ABOVE!

I loved the 1976 version!

Law11
01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I like the fact the clock is in the early ones.
The clock now is blocked if your on the 1st base side.

Plus it has a traditional feel to it.

tebman
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
You gotta love the original 1960-75 board for its sheer outrageousness: lights dancing in all different directions, roman candles, fireworks, and over-the-top sound effects (hear it here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) -- scroll down to the July 5, 1964 and May 2, 1965 games).

The current board is an opportunity missed, I think. It's downright tasteful and polite compared to its ancestor. But I'm happy that the concept has survived all these years.

A.T. Money
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I would have voted for the current one had it actually been a scoreboard. Once they made it a giant TV, it wasn't as cool.

I love the way it lights up and everything, but it doesn't have the SCORE anymore. Booooooooo.

So I chose the 80s version, because I'm not old enough to know the other versions.

Hitmen77
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I would have voted for the current one had it actually been a scoreboard. Once they made it a giant TV, it wasn't as cool.

I love the way it lights up and everything, but it doesn't have the SCORE anymore. Booooooooo.

So I chose the 80s version, because I'm not old enough to know the other versions.

I agree. The current scoreboard is just a giant TV screen and what is really a problem for me is that the actual "scoreboard" is now obstructed for many seats down the 3rd baseline.

HomeFish
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I've only seen the current one (which has changed significantly since I first saw it), but the 1976 one looks the best.

Is it true that in the old park the fireworks came out of the actual scoreboard, rather than from outside the park like now?

Chicken Dinner
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
And what's wrong with a giant TV???

Hangar18
01-03-2006, 01:36 PM
I agree. The current scoreboard is just a giant TV screen and what is really a problem for me is that the actual "scoreboard" is now obstructed for many seats down the 3rd baseline.

I wholeheartedly voted for #1 and #2, as these were the "Scoreboards" that got the SOX notoriety when it LIT UP and SHOT FIREWORKS into the air.
The new one is nothing but a glorified WideScreen TV with Advertising all over it. ALSO, the CLOCK is missing from the scoreboard. Also, inexplicably, a Pinwheel is missing (8 were on the original) and somehow
there are only 7 on this board. When the stadium was being constructed,
and the workers only saw 7 pinwheels to hoist onto the board, they probably saw it was uneven, so put the last lone pinwheel in the middle, where it NEVER was on previous scoreboards.....

WinOrDyeTrying
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
76-81. The 1982 one is too square, and I loooove the pinwheels.

Fenway
01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
not many scoreboards get a Sports Illustrated cover :smile:

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1960/0704_large.jpg

voodoochile
01-03-2006, 01:52 PM
The 82-90 one is the one I most remember. So it is my favorite, but that original version looks WAY cool. All dark just waiting to explode. Later versions things stayed lit all the time so they didn't hide the treasure like the original did.

TomBradley72
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Definitely an opportunity for "renovation" sometime down the line....looking at the new ballpark configuration (ie. fan deck, fundamentals, etc.)...an overall redesign of everything that looms above the concourse (ie. billboards, various scoreboards, etc.)....there are some basic things wrong right now...can't see the clock, the 9 inning line score, overall look....

batmanZoSo
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
If I were to go by quality of picture it would have to be the early one. Man that is cool. :cool:

Honestly though, they're all pretty good in their own way. It really evolved over the years.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
# 2 - it was the 1st scoreboard I ever saw at my first baseball game of my life. And I remember almost crapping in my pants when the fireworks/bombs went off. Then, right after that, we headed into the bleachers!! Ah...memories...

TheOldRoman
01-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Also, inexplicably, a Pinwheel is missing (8 were on the original) and somehow
there are only 7 on this board. When the stadium was being constructed,
and the workers only saw 7 pinwheels to hoist onto the board, they probably saw it was uneven, so put the last lone pinwheel in the middle, where it NEVER was on previous scoreboards.....
This scoreboard was only designed to have 7 pinwheels. It is not a big deal, and they weren't "inexplicably left off". The current scoreboard has much bigger pinwheels than the older one. If you look at it, there is no room to put another pinwheel on each side (while removing the center one). The extra pinwheel is not the problem.

It is amaxing to see how much bigger the 80's scoreboard was than the previous ones. The originals just barely came past the upperdeck, but the 80's one was HUGE, it really towered over the stadium.

The current scoreboard is actually bigger than the 80's one. It doesn't look as big because the park is much bigger, and there is the metal work around the board. The scoreboard needs to be bigger. Much bigger.

I love the current shape of the scoreboard. With it's current color scheme, it is great. There is no more beautiful site than seeing the scoreboard lit up at night, especially after the Sox hit a homer. They need to maintain the same shape, but make the scoreboard about twice the size. They should extend it so it takes up about half of the advertising boards on either side, and make it 30 or so feet higher. Then, include both the in game and out of town scores into the scoreboard. It would eliminate the ads on either side of it, but they could be replaced with ads in the spots where the other scoreboards used to be.

Hangar18
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
This scoreboard was only designed to have 7 pinwheels. It is not a big deal, and they weren't "inexplicably left off". The current scoreboard has much bigger pinwheels than the older one. If you look at it, there is no room to put another pinwheel on each side (while removing the center one). The extra pinwheel is not the problem.

The scoreboard needs to be bigger. Much bigger.

I love the current shape of the scoreboard. With it's current color scheme, it is great. There is no more beautiful site than seeing the scoreboard lit up at night, especially after the Sox hit a homer. They need to maintain the same shape, but make the scoreboard about twice the size. They should extend it so it takes up about half of the advertising boards on either side, and make it 30 or so feet higher. Then, include both the in game and out of town scores into the scoreboard. It would eliminate the ads on either side of it, but they could be replaced with ads in the spots where the other scoreboards used to be.

The missing pinwheel and clock always make me do a double-take, like one of those "whats-wrong-with-this-picture" kind of things. I finally realized after a couple years that the CLOCK and PINWHEEL were missing. I asked Brooks about the missing pinwheel, and he never realized it until I pointed it out. YES, get the advertising off of there, or at least make it more subtle and creative (Get Elgin or Timex to do the clock?) Put scores on the board now instead of giant beer messages. The shape of the board is good, and I agree, make it bigger and bolder.

eriqjaffe
01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Is it true that in the old park the fireworks came out of the actual scoreboard, rather than from outside the park like now?Yep. They came out of the posts that had the pinwheels mounted on them. The current scoreboard doesn't do that (the fireworks are launched from outside the park behind the scoreboard) because of fire codes.

I voted for the 76-81 one, since it's the one I remember from when I was a little kid going to the park. I have very strong memories of the "Sox-O-Gram" on the left side...

skobabe8
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM

It is amaxing to see how much bigger the 80's scoreboard was than the previous ones. The originals just barely came past the upperdeck, but the 80's one was HUGE, it really towered over the stadium.

The current scoreboard is actually bigger than the 80's one. It doesn't look as big because the park is much bigger, and there is the metal work around the board. The scoreboard needs to be bigger. Much bigger.

AMEN!

Great poll, by the way. I voted for the '76 version. This is a topic that I am very passionate about and can't help but think about every time I go to a game. The scoreboard was once prominent and glorious. Today its a shell of its former self. I have the exact same vision as TheOldRoman when it comes to what it should look like.

Baby Fisk
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM

True. The current scoreboard doesn't "loom" over the new park as previous scoreboards did.

TheOldRoman
01-03-2006, 02:48 PM
The missing pinwheel and clock always make me do a double-take, like one of those "whats-wrong-with-this-picture" kind of things. I finally realized after a couple years that the CLOCK and PINWHEEL were missing. I asked Brooks about the missing pinwheel, and he never realized it until I pointed it out. YES, get the advertising off of there, or at least make it more subtle and creative (Get Elgin or Timex to do the clock?) Put scores on the board now instead of giant beer messages. The shape of the board is good, and I agree, make it bigger and bolder. As much as I hate the massive billboards all around the outfield, I don't mind ads on the scoreboard that much. I challenge anyone to find me a scoreboard outside of the Urinal or field level ones that isn't completely surrounded by ads. In almost all cases, the ads are now incorporated into the design of the board. I am fine with that. There has always been advertising in baseball parks. Hell, there are ads at the top of the original scoreboard.

However, our current board is nothing more than a few giant ads and a tv screen. It has no content, and the ads are overpowering because of it. They should make it like the original scoreboard. Put all the scores on it, including ingame and out of town. Then, but a huge video screen on top of that. Then put advertisements all around them. It would be a lot of work, but it would look a lot better.

tebman
01-03-2006, 02:54 PM
The scoreboard has evolved quite a bit since 1960. Like these sound clips (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) from 7/5/64 and 5/2/65 demonstrate, it utterly dominated the ballpark when it erupted in the early days. Smoke hung over the old ballpark for quite a while after a home run, since they were launched from directly behind the board.

I remember for a time in the '60s there was a sign that rose up on rails from behind the clock that lit up "TILT!" One time Veeck had a flock of homing pigeons released from inside the board as part of a stunt. I recall another time when smoke poured out of it too, but the smoke was a nuisance so they gave it up. I remember Roman-candle type spurts coming out of the tops of those mortars on the old board. The big aerial fireworks were launched from a space directly behind the board just inside the ballpark wall -- I watched a guy loading it up before a game in the '70s. The lights around the clock, across the bottom, and up and down the mortars, chased up, down, back and forth in constantly-changing patterns. The board's face also had a number of randomly-flashing strobe lights going at the same time.

"Unbridled goofiness" was the best way to describe it. Veeck was trying to emulate a pinball machine hitting a jackpot score. That hellzapoppin' quality is what the current version of the board doesn't have, and I know that with the current state of the art there are a lot more things the board could do in that tradition.
:nuts: :party: :wired:

Fenway
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
If you look closely at this photo, one of the orginal pinwheels is now happily retired in Cooperstown

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/history/2005/images/sacred_ground_002.jpg

Pureone
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
1976-81 had a really nice looking scoreboard. The old one's have a nice vintage feel when you look at them.

chisoxfan64
01-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I miss walking up and down the ramps behind the scoreboard at Old Comiskey.

C-Dawg
01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
"Unbridled goofiness" was the best way to describe it. Veeck was trying to emulate a pinball machine hitting a jackpot score.

That's exactly what was cool about the old scoreboard. The lights would light up, first going right around the clock, and then along the angled top and bottom rows of the scoreboard. The pregame video this season captured just a glimpse of it. That's what was so special about the old scoreboard - a home run would be hit, and then everyone would turn and watch those little lights make the circle around the clock.... so cool!

Palehose13
01-03-2006, 05:00 PM
The 82-90 one is the one I most remember. So it is my favorite, but that original version looks WAY cool. All dark just waiting to explode. Later versions things stayed lit all the time so they didn't hide the treasure like the original did.

Yep. Ditto.

kevin57
01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I love the scoreboard even without his moronic criticism, but the fact that Moronotti hates the scoreboard makes it all the sweeter to me.

I want Mags back
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
i voted current, since im 16 and have only seen that one. I really think the Sox screwed up by making it a big TV. the 'tron should go in left with scores on the real thing in center. The Mcdonalds logo pisses me off. They should have either a clock, sox logo, or US cell. logo in that spot. Oh yeah, can we get the other 2 pinwheels back

DumpJerry
01-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Those sound clips were great! Was it my imagination or did the fireworks have some extra "boom" in them last year during the postseason?

Lip Man 1
01-03-2006, 05:37 PM
The first and second versions without question.

Lip

Baby Fisk
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
http://majorleaguemodels.com/images/sb-uscellular.jpg

Boy that John Doe sure has a nice family.

Realist
01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
You gotta love the original 1960-75 board for its sheer outrageousness: lights dancing in all different directions, roman candles, fireworks, and over-the-top sound effects (hear it here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) -- scroll down to the July 5, 1964 and May 2, 1965 games).

The current board is an opportunity missed, I think. It's downright tasteful and polite compared to its ancestor. But I'm happy that the concept has survived all these years.

That's exactly why I voted for the original one too.

paciorek1983
01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I've always wanted to do a poll on this subject, but never did. I voted for the original, even tho I barely remember it. In rating them, I would go in the exact order of oldest to newest.

The current board is too bland for me. It seems too polite, as otheres have put it. I am in favor of the so called "scoreboard" being one of the next renovation projects.

Realist
01-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Boy that John Doe sure has a nice family.

I wonder if Exene Cervenka did that for him. I know they're divorced but from what I understand, they're still friends. :cool:

paciorek1983
01-03-2006, 08:05 PM

I agree with you on making the board bigger. But, i do think that they should make sure that they at least add two more pinwheels if not more.

Whenver they renovate ithe scoreboard, it should be the biggest baddest mother of all scoreboards!!

paciorek1983
01-03-2006, 08:11 PM
AMEN!

Great poll, by the way. I voted for the '76 version. This is a topic that I am very passionate about and can't help but think about every time I go to a game. The scoreboard was once prominent and glorious. Today its a shell of its former self. I have the exact same vision as TheOldRoman when it comes to what it should look like.

I'm passionate about this topic as well!! The time will come when the scoreboard is renovated.

I think someone needs to start a "design the next exploding scoreboard contest"!:bandance:

Fenway
01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I have to admit I always look forward to games from Comiskey on TV with the hope the White Sox would set the board off.

I remember that Veeck said he would set the board off if Ted Williams homered in his last visit there but did not.

and who can forget the Yankees lighting sparklers in the dugout after they hit a homer

we be jake
01-03-2006, 11:14 PM
The newest is the weakest but it gets kudos for staying with the theme, and it presided over the championship season -- so it's stayin' for a long time I hope. :cool: we be jake

Max Power
01-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I went with the late 80's one because that's what I grew up with. I remember the first time I saw/heard it go off. I was like, "Now I really want to see some more home runs."
Current one is a bit bland. I do like that the pinwheels are being used more around the park and in more Sox merchandise. They're a White Sox original.

doublem23
01-04-2006, 05:00 AM
I only remember the current set-up, but I think you need to go with #2, solely based on the first appearance of the pinwheels.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-04-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm passionate about this topic as well!! The time will come when the scoreboard is renovated.

I think someone needs to start a "design the next exploding scoreboard contest"!:bandance:

To be quite honest...if the Sox ad agency comes here to feel us out on print or media ads, and the VP of marketing comes here and sets up special events for us, and SOMEONE in the organization was reading here about green seats, maybe, just maybe, this idea will come up in the not too distant future.
I for one, would love to see it bigger, badder...but in deference to its past, with an analog clock at the top, return of the Sox O Gram, etc etc etc....IMHO, that would cap renovations in a BIG way.

cubhater
01-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I voted for the 76-81 one, since it's the one I remember from when I was a little kid going to the park. I have very strong memories of the "Sox-O-Gram" on the left side...

Same here, it's another fabulous memory as a kid at the ballpark.

paciorek1983
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
To be quite honest...if the Sox ad agency comes here to feel us out on print or media ads, and the VP of marketing comes here and sets up special events for us, and SOMEONE in the organization was reading here about green seats, maybe, just maybe, this idea will come up in the not too distant future.
I for one, would love to see it bigger, badder...but in deference to its past, with an analog clock at the top, return of the Sox O Gram, etc etc etc....IMHO, that would cap renovations in a BIG way.

You're right I can see it happening. I'd love to see an analog clock on the scoreboard as well. I think we'd have that clock by now if Mcdonald's wasn't so against it.

Also, regarding the clock, and this poll, I am disappointed to see that the 80's version is leading at this point. You younger guys who voted for it really need to see some footage of the the two older boards. I'm sure it's being voted on because that's the one you recognize, but I voted for the first one and I barely remember it. I probably should have voted for the second one consdidering how obsessed I was during it's life at Comiskey. Oh well.:(:

soxfanatlanta
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Same here, it's another fabulous memory as a kid at the ballpark.

+1

I remember the first time I saw it go off; the whole ballpark shook...no, it actually wobbled a bit. I wonder now if that was not the safest of times for Old Comiskey. :wink:

johnr1note
01-04-2006, 02:39 PM
I love the exploding scoreboard, but any discussion of it brings back memories of my Grandfather, who hated it and everything that Bill Veeck stood for. My Grandfather felt that "organ music belongs in funeral homes," and the exploding scoreboard was a baseball sacrelige. He blamed Veeck for destroying the 59 pennant winners in efforts to trade for a "slugger," and felt all of Veecks other innovations were just for show. Despite the reverence Mr. Veeck holds in this town, my Grandfather was right about tradiing away the future of the team in the early 60s.

IronFisk
01-04-2006, 02:47 PM
The first design was great, however, out of purely personal reasons, I voted for the 80's version. This scoreobard awed me the first time I really remember visiting Comiskey, after years of my dad taking me to the Urinal. I was in love with the idea of actually being entertained between innings, and having instant replay and all. Purists on here could care less for the fluff, but it sure the heck made an impression on this young teen at the time.

Whitesox029
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Being young, I couldn't say I like the original all that much because of the lack of pinwheels, which I've always associated with it. Then again, the current one doesn't really explode, but it's the only one I've gotten to know that well (I did get to see the 82-90 version, but having been born in 87, I had only just turned 3 when I saw my final game at the old park, so my memories are very very foggy).

pinwheels3530
01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I voted for the 80S version, I like that design the best.

tebman
01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Being young, I couldn't say I like the original all that much because of the lack of pinwheels, which I've always associated with it. Then again, the current one doesn't really explode, but it's the only one I've gotten to know that well (I did get to see the 82-90 version, but having been born in 87, I had only just turned 3 when I saw my final game at the old park, so my memories are very very foggy).

So many Sox fans under the age of 35 or so don't have a memory of Veeck's original board. That's a shame, because it was high-five, dance-in-the-aisle fun when it went off. Loud, bright, and in your face. The chase lights were made up of 150W floodlamps, the kind you might use to light your backyard. The fireworks were loud. The sound effects were Monty Pythonesque with their over-the-top silliness. It would have been a hoot and a half to have that kind of display when Podsednik hit his walkoff or when Blum hit his extra-inning shocker.

This is Bill Veeck's description from his book, "Veeck As In Wreck:"

"We built a scoreboard at Comiskey Park with 10 mortars bristling from the top for firing Roman candles. Behind the scoreboard, the fireworks crew shot off bombs, rockets, and anything else they happened to think of. Nor was shooting rockets and bombs all our talented scoreboard could do. Far from it. In flipping its top, the scoreboard never flipped the same way twice. Unpredictability was part of its charm..."

"In the front of the board, there were colored "strobe" lights that flashed on and off crazily. The lights were controlled by a tape, which meant there were an infinite number of patterns they could be made to follow." "With a speaker system, we could obviously play any kind of sound track, or combination of sound tracks, that suited our mood and purpose."

"Try to picture it. The ball has disappeared over the fence, the batter is rounding first base and the lights have already begun to chase themselves madly up and down and around the board. From the speaker come the strains of the Messiah chorus, but just as it has built to its marvelous climax, there is a moment of silence (as the amplifying system is pushed up) and then, in a beautiful and booming choral arrangement:
HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!" "...The Lone Ranger Galloping Theme...And as the last HALLELUJAH fades away there is a BOOM! And a BOOM! And a BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!...as the bombs explode and the rockets splash across the sky."

(edit: I should say, if Blum had hit his extra-inning shocker in Chicago. Mea culpa.)

chisox77
01-04-2006, 08:29 PM
With respect to tradition and the romance of the past, I endorse today's scoreboard. A vote for progress!!

Wsoxmike59
01-04-2006, 09:06 PM
They all look nice, but I voted for the current board. I love it. The replays look so clean and clear and show off the beauty that is U.S. Cellular Field.

I emailed Brooks before the start of the 2004 season and I complimented the Sox on all the renovations they had done to date.

I told him hands down my two favorite were the new wrought iron roof (a classic beauty) and the scoreboard.

I also begged him to have the Sox show MORE REPLAYS on the jumbotron. I said even it it's a routine grounder to SS, I want to watch it again. I can't reiterate this enough.

I told him countless times I've been to a game where you get distracted, either someone stands up to buy a beer, or your gabbing with the person next to you....even if you miss an out you'd like to see it & get the same replay the person watching at home on TV is getting.

Besides, the replays really do show how nice the ballpark has become over the last 5 years.

mike squires
01-04-2006, 11:59 PM
I got to go with the 80's one. Probably cause that is the one I grew up with. I remember my first game when Luzinski hit the roof when I was 10, I held on to the yellow railing and could fell the vibration of the fireworks. I could feel the boom inside me.

I was going to start a thread on the fireworks, but the ones that went off during the payoffs and series (maybe they've always been like this, but they were beautiful...they were just so explosive and fast...I've got to say, I haven't seen fireworks in any other ball park better than Comiskey.

VenturaSoxFan23
01-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I picked the second one, the first scoreboard I remember. Made me a scoreboard watcher from then on. Didn't have to crane your neck to the right field stands to see what other games were going on; they were all right there in front of you!
The DiamondVision (third one) was pretty cool and innovative for its time. I seem to remember at the beginning they had a Union 76 logo where they have the Coke ad in that particular picture. ("Go with the spirit, the spirit of 76.")

Fenway
01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I didn't realize the scoreboard didn't have fireworks in the 70's

At age nine, after the great Veeck purchased the franchise to prevent it from moving to Seattle, I wrote a letter thanking him and asking him to please reinstate the exploding scoreboard (the previous owner, John Allyn, had decided fireworks were too costly). I still have the letter Veeck sent me back. It read in part: "The scoreboard will be exploding again -- hopefully on Opening Day."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/10/26/sox.win/

tebman
01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I didn't realize the scoreboard didn't have fireworks in the 70's...
If that's true, I think it was just a brief period before Allyn sold the team. Remember, Allyn couldn't even make the next payroll when he met with Veeck in late 1975 to talk about selling the Sox to Veeck's group.

I was at games in the mid-'70s (can't remember which years) when the scoreboard did indeed still do its happy dance after a home run. It was among the few bright spots the Sox had at that time.

doogiec
01-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I didn't realize the scoreboard didn't have fireworks in the 70's
ttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/10/26/sox.win/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/marty_burns/10/26/sox.win/)

I fairly certain this only happened for less than one season (part of '75). IIRC, they actually played a tape of fireworks exploding over the loudspeakers. Also, IIRC, they blamed the lack of fireworks on a problem with the supplier, but everyone knew the only problem the supplier had was wanting to get paid.

Railsplitter
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
The first one, of course. To paraphrase Kellog's Corn Flakes: the original is best.

Sox-on-TV44
01-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I fairly certain this only happened for less than one season (part of '75). IIRC, they actually played a tape of fireworks exploding over the loudspeakers. Also, IIRC, they blamed the lack of fireworks on a problem with the supplier, but everyone knew the only problem the supplier had was wanting to get paid.

Yeah,when I heard a old tape from Sept. of 1975 game Vs. the Twins at then-White Sox Park on WMAQ.And I thought it was me but,but there was no "booming" fireworks sounds after Jorge Orta went postial on a Bert Blyeleven fastball.John Allen was more cheaper than Jack Benny at the time I guess.

BTW:If anyone has additional pictures of either scoreboard,that would be great!Please post them!

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2006, 04:57 PM
So many Sox fans under the age of 35 or so don't have a memory of Veeck's original board. That's a shame, because it was high-five, dance-in-the-aisle fun when it went off. Loud, bright, and in your face. The chase lights were made up of 150W floodlamps, the kind you might use to light your backyard. The fireworks were loud. The sound effects were Monty Pythonesque with their over-the-top silliness. It would have been a hoot and a half to have that kind of display when Podsednik hit his walkoff or when Blum hit his extra-inning shocker.

This is Bill Veeck's description from his book, "Veeck As In Wreck:"

"We built a scoreboard at Comiskey Park with 10 mortars bristling from the top for firing Roman candles. Behind the scoreboard, the fireworks crew shot off bombs, rockets, and anything else they happened to think of. Nor was shooting rockets and bombs all our talented scoreboard could do. Far from it. In flipping its top, the scoreboard never flipped the same way twice. Unpredictability was part of its charm..."

"In the front of the board, there were colored "strobe" lights that flashed on and off crazily. The lights were controlled by a tape, which meant there were an infinite number of patterns they could be made to follow." "With a speaker system, we could obviously play any kind of sound track, or combination of sound tracks, that suited our mood and purpose."

"Try to picture it. The ball has disappeared over the fence, the batter is rounding first base and the lights have already begun to chase themselves madly up and down and around the board. From the speaker come the strains of the Messiah chorus, but just as it has built to its marvelous climax, there is a moment of silence (as the amplifying system is pushed up) and then, in a beautiful and booming choral arrangement:
HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!" "...The Lone Ranger Galloping Theme...And as the last HALLELUJAH fades away there is a BOOM! And a BOOM! And a BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!...as the bombs explode and the rockets splash across the sky."

(edit: I should say, if Blum had hit his extra-inning shocker in Chicago. Mea culpa.)
Something I discovered.When I heard the clips from 1971-72.When Carlos May hit a homer off of Ed Farmer (Then from Cleveland),among the BOOM!and BANGS from the board,I swear I thought I heard a tape of Harry Caray screaming "HOOOOOOLY COW!!!!!",over and over again.Can anyone comfirm that?

Lip Man 1
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I can. Yes that was Harry recorded coming out of the scoreboard with different incantations of Holy Cow!

Lip

soxfan1965
01-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I'd say the first one compared with what else was around the league at that time. Going to Comiskey was fun, a bit off the beatin' path compared with the blandness of Wrigley at that time. Being a north side not-far-from-Wrigley Sox fan, I was proud to know I had the experiences that my other Cub-loving classmates didn't at behind-the-times Wrigley: the tasty greasy fried chicken in the left field picnic area, Andy the Clown belting out calls, Bat Days, the outrageous sounds from the scoreboard with the fighter airplane sounds with the fireworks, and of course the team. The scoreboard, among other things, was kind of like a Riverview (Amusement Park) experience on the South side.

PKalltheway
01-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I voted for the new one since that's all I can remember (the old Comiskey's last season was when I was just two) but I would have loved to see the first version. It just looked so big.:cool: The new version is still pretty cool though and I think it holds its own compared to its predecessors.