Bears
Hawks
Bulls
Cubs
Sox.

Get on it folks....

Tekijawa
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm sorry... but this is a Bears town... I'm a Bigger Sox fan than a Bears fan but I know that this is still a Bears town!

Law11
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
But 6%??

Ouch...

chisoxmike
01-03-2006, 12:38 PM
This is a bull question. Whatever 'season' its in, people will vote accordingly. Now since the Bears are hot, people will be voting for the Bears. If this was late october, november, I bet the Sox would've have a stronger showing.

Optipessimism
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Anything that ranks hockey above baseball screams lunacy.

Fenway
01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I shared this blueprint that Comcast had of Chicago back in November 2004

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41758

In setting up Comcast Sports Net in Chicago, Comcast is working on this blueprint based on ratings from the old FSN.

They rank the teams as follows

1. Bears universal appeal in city

2. Cubs huge following in NW and N suburbs and in lakefront communities. Also fans travel from entire US to see Wrigley.

3. White Sox fanbase solid in SW and W burbs and parts of Indiana. If team can advance in playoffs the Gen X crowd may shift from Cubs.

4. Bulls fans may still go for the glitter at United Center but have no great desire to watch team lose and lose

5 Blackhawks 35 years ago may have been most popular team in Chicago. Refusal to televise home games has lost 2 generations of fans. AHL Wolves show more pulse.

Sox-on-TV44
01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
That poll sucks!

Yeah,I can see the Bears winning that poll.But The Scrubs!!!??:angry:

Law11
01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
That poll sucks!

Yeah,I can see the Bears winning that poll.But The Scrubs!!!??:angry:

Thats whats steamin me.. I figured the Bears like the earlier post mentioned but cmon...

Gammons Peter
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
C'mon people, get the vote out

Dolly
01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I just voted, and here are the results so far:

Which one of our teams gets the most love? Chicago is first and foremost a...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 57.6%
Bears town (617 responses)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 0.5%
Blackhawks town (5 responses)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 1.4%
Bulls town (15 responses)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 30.0%
Cubs town (322 responses)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 10.5%
White Sox town (113 responses)

1072 total responses

Come on, Army!!! We can't let the Flubs get THREE TIMES our votes!!!!
But it is not letting me vote more than once!!! HELP!!! :o:

Tekijawa
01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Come on, Army!!! We can't let the Flubs get THREE TIMES our votes!!!!
But it is not letting me vote more than once!!! HELP!!! :o:

All Iowans know Chicago is a Cubs Town! Let them win something other than the "Juan Pierre Sweepstakes" this year. 2nd place is the highest they've placed in almost 3 years now! Let them have something before they realize how bad they really have it and start showing up in our stadium... Cubs town??? Sure! Just stay up north where you belong Cubs Fans!

Hitmen77
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Sox are now up to 11%. Slowly inching up there.

hold2dibber
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I voted for the Sox, but I don't really believe it. Clearly the Sox aren't as popular as the Bears or the Cubs. That's just reality - although the tide is clearly changing and, as between the Sox and Cubs, it is cyclical (the Sox were more popular than the Cubs in the early '90s, for instance).

WinOrDyeTrying
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
How can I vote multipal times?

Dolly
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
All Iowans know Chicago is a Cubs Town! Let them win something other than the "Juan Pierre Sweepstakes" this year. 2nd place is the highest they've placed in almost 3 years now! Let them have something before they realize how bad they really have it and start showing up in our stadium... Cubs town??? Sure! Just stay up north where you belong Cubs Fans!NO!!!!! Must........keep.......voting...........

DaleJRFan
01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
the Cubs can retain their ambiguous title of "Chicago's baseball team" so long as the Sox remain "World Champions". Bogus press-created titles are completely trite and arbitrary when the "other team" 8 miles south wins it all....

http://whitesoxfans.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/whitesoxwscelebration.jpg

read it and weeeep, Cub fans.

kittle42
01-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I voted for the Sox, but I don't really believe it. Clearly the Sox aren't as popular as the Bears or the Cubs. That's just reality - although the tide is clearly changing and, as between the Sox and Cubs, it is cyclical (the Sox were more popular than the Cubs in the early '90s, for instance).

Agreed. But apparently, some here believe it is just as important to win the "Popularity Championship" as it was to win the World Series, even after bashing Cub fans for thinking the same. Pathetic.

SouthSideIrish
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM

It seemed to work for me, but I can tell if it was necessarily me upping the vote count, or someone else voting at the same time. I deleted my cookies and all files, that seemed to do the trick.

I seem to recall doing this right after I started stopping by this place, almost 5 years ago now...there was some poll as to the best baseball player in Chicago, or something like that.

All you had to do then was click on your selection, and hold down the button on your mouse, and it would keep submitting your vote. You could vote literally hundreds of times that way.

Ahhhh, the good old days

mterraza
01-03-2006, 03:04 PM
The few, the proud, the Sox fans. Quite honestly, I can care less if this isn't a Sox town. :cool:

buehrle4cy05
01-03-2006, 03:06 PM
the Cubs can retain their ambiguous title of "Chicago's baseball team" so long as the Sox remain "World Champions". Bogus press-created titles are completely trite and arbitrary when the "other team" 8 miles south wins it all....

http://whitesoxfans.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/whitesoxwscelebration.jpg

read it and weeeep, Cub fans.

POTW:thumbsup: Cub fans can enjoy the fact that they are "Chicago's team."

That doesn't bring you World Series Championships, which is the one thing that matters.

Dick Allen
01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Geez folks, just remember who's originating this poll.

Dolly
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Agreed. But apparently, some here believe it is just as important to win the "Popularity Championship" as it was to win the World Series, even after bashing Cub fans for thinking the same. Pathetic.The "Popularity Championship" has nothing to do with it, as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy my elbow room at the park (although I can't complain about the extra revenue that will be put back into the team, either). This is a Cubune poll, intended to make it look like Chicagoans still don't care about the Sox, even after they just won the World Series. This is about making some noise as a Sox fan, and sticking it to the Cubune!!! I don't want to give 'em an inch!!!

rdivaldi
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Chicago is and will always be a Bears town. Anyone who votes differently doesn't live here, or is a baseball fan trying to rankle the other side of the city.

kevin57
01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I hate to say it, but I can't honestly vote the Sox in this poll. They're asking for which team is most popular. While the Sox have certainly risen--a lot--since the Championship, I would say Da Bears are #1 and yes, Flub fans, while not knowledgeable or especially loyal, command the "imagination" of this town.

kittle42
01-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I hate to say it, but I can't honestly vote the Sox in this poll. They're asking for which team is most popular. While the Sox have certainly risen--a lot--since the Championship, I would say Da Bears are #1 and yes, Flub fans, while not knowledgeable or especially loyal, command the "imagination" of this town.

Rational thinking rules!

In a completely objective order:

1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Sox
4. Bulls
5. any college team in any sport or even minor-league hockey team (multiple-way tie)
40. Blackhawks. :(:

MarySwiss
01-03-2006, 06:24 PM

Nobody seems to have figured this out, and my question is the same. I voted this morning, and every time I tried to go in and vote again, nothing worked. I thought that perhaps if I didn't vote for a few hours, that might make a difference, but uh-uh.

So I tried signing in to my Yahoo account and voting from there. That worked--once. My best guess is that each e-mail addy can only vote once. After that, they're blocked.

Anyone have a way around this?

MarySwiss
01-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Forgive me, but what exactly does that mean?

LongLiveFisk
01-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Agreed. But apparently, some here believe it is just as important to win the "Popularity Championship" as it was to win the World Series, even after bashing Cub fans for thinking the same. Pathetic.

I agree...let them win some silly popularity contest. It proves nothing to me except maybe that there are too many dumb people living in the city I call home.

Cubs, you can have this silly title if it means that much to you. But it will never hold a candle to the one the Sox just captured. :bandance:

dlee120
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM

Forgive me, but what exactly does that mean?

This is my interpretation of it....

cub fans without knowing much (about the game i assume), and the inability to stick with thier club still dictate what is percieved as real...that being the cubs are the greatest team ever and are far superior to the team 8 miles to the south.

i think that makes sense.

MarySwiss
01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I agree...let them win some silly popularity contest. It proves nothing to me except maybe that there are too many dumb people living in the city I call home.

Cubs, you can have this silly title if it means that much to you. But it will never hold a candle to the one the Sox just captured. :bandance:

Sorry, but I disagree. True Sox fans everywhere know how stupid this poll is. But that does not mean that we should sit back and meekly allow the Tribune to perpetuate this myth throughout the country via the Internet. On general principles.

MarySwiss
01-03-2006, 06:50 PM
[quote=MarySwiss]

This is my interpretation of it....

cub fans without knowing much (about the game i assume), and the inability to stick with thier club still dictate what is percieved as real...that being the cubs are the greatest team ever and are far superior to the team 8 miles to the south.

i think that makes sense.

Okay, yes it does. However, see my post above. They can only "dictate what is perceived as real" because of silly-ass polls such as this one. And that is why I think it is important, not because I give a rat's ass what a bunch of pathetic losers think, but because I do believe that when the corporation that owns the Cubs runs a poll in their house organ--well, for want of a better word--that's immoral.

LongLiveFisk
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorry, but I disagree. True Sox fans everywhere know how stupid this poll is. But that does not mean that we should sit back and meekly allow the Tribune to perpetuate this myth throughout the country via the Internet. On general principles.

Yeah, of course the Trib is behind it, I don't doubt that. I haven't even looked at the stupid thing but if it's set up where you can vote more than once in this poll it proves nothing...you can have a few overly dedicated individuals with WAYYYY too much time on their hands voting for one team.

GoSox2K3
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM

Some here just need to lighten up. Did anyone say this poll was just as important as winning the World Series?:?:

I see nothing wrong with voting Sox in these meaningless online poll for nothing other than to attempt to thumb my nose at Cub fans. That doesn't mean we value this poll above winning the World Series. If you don't care about the poll, then don't vote.

Law11
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Some here just need to lighten up. Did anyone say this poll was just as important as winning the World Series?:?:

I see nothing wrong with voting Sox in these meaningless online poll for nothing other than to attempt to thumb my nose at Cub fans. That doesn't mean we value this poll above winning the World Series. If you don't care about the poll, then don't vote.

I just posted this whole thing at the start for kicks. The 2 million at the parade speaks for itself. No more poll posting from me...

Realist
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Vote White Sox. When the White Sox Army is called upon, it's not about what's right or being objective. The Army must win at all costs.

White Sox Interactive: Totally Biased.

GoSox2K3
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
In setting up Comcast Sports Net in Chicago, Comcast is working on this blueprint based on ratings from the old FSN.

They rank the teams as follows

1. Bears universal appeal in city

2. Cubs huge following in NW and N suburbs and in lakefront communities. Also fans travel from entire US to see Wrigley.

3. White Sox fanbase solid in SW and W burbs and parts of Indiana. If team can advance in playoffs the Gen X crowd may shift from Cubs.

4. Bulls fans may still go for the glitter at United Center but have no great desire to watch team lose and lose

5 Blackhawks 35 years ago may have been most popular team in Chicago. Refusal to televise home games has lost 2 generations of fans. AHL Wolves show more pulse.

I think we're starting to see that shift now - but it will be gradual. Since the Cubs have grabbed such a big share of the market over the past 20 years, we're not going to see all these Cub fans just disappear overnight. HOWEVER, winning the World Series has had a huge effect in shifting the momentum to the Sox.

Look for the Sox to win over the fandom of more and more kids, people with newly found interest in baseball, and newcomers to Chicago. It wasn't just winning the World Series, but how they did it....wire to wire, 11-1 playoff run, Don't Stop Believin', Walkoff HRs, Breathtaking victory parade....this has help capture the imagination of new fans.

And if the Sox follow up their '05 success with at least another pennant in the near future and the Cubs continue as they have for the past 60 years, then I think you'll really see that shift accellerate.

Dolly
01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Vote White Sox. When the White Sox Army is called upon, it's not about what's right or being objective. The Army must win at all costs.

White Sox Interactive: Totally Biased.YES!!! That's what I was trying to say in my previous post!!! Totally biased, just the way we like it!!! Isn't that the reason we're all here anyway? :D:

SOXSINCE'70
01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Even though I know this is a "Bears town",I still voted for the Sox.
And the total was at 12 % after my vote.Why can't I vote multiple
times??Why,why,why?!?!?!:whiner: :whiner: :D: :D:

LongLiveFisk
01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Even though I know this is a "Bears town",I still voted for the Sox.
And the total was at 12 % after my vote.Why can't I vote multiple
times??Why,why,why?!?!?!:whiner: :whiner: :D: :D:

I guess I stand corrected on this. I just figured it was another "stuff the ballot box" thing. Anyway, I went and voted for the Sox to help their numbers, even though I also believe it's a Bears town.

Oh well....better the Bears than the friggin' Cubs!

mrs. hendu
01-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't care whose town this is - we're the World Champs. :cool:

FoulkeFan
01-03-2006, 09:06 PM

White Sox Interactive: Totally Biased.

Exactly.

Jurr
01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
****!!! We can get Podsednik in the All Star game, but we can't win this thing? COME ON!!!!

LongLiveFisk
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
****!!! We can get Podsednik in the All Star game, but we can't win this thing? COME ON!!!!

Yeah..where are those Red Sox fans when you need them? :cower::o: :D:

Frankfan4life
01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
YES!!! That's what I was trying to say in my previous post!!! Totally biased, just the way we like it!!! Isn't that the reason we're all here anyway? :D:I'm with you guys. It's about being proactive and showing we're out here in big numbers. For so many years Sox fans were beaten down by the media so much so that a lot of us believed that few of us existed. I'm tired of the media trying to slap us with their own label. The victory parade proved that we've got numbers and it's high time the media started acting like it.

thomas35forever
01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
The Cubune is just trying to convince people that nobody cares about the Sox, and their plan is working. I can see the Bears being first, but there are obviously a lot of yuppies in this town.:mad:

gobears1987
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Come one. We need the people who wrote the programs to screw the Cubune poll for the All Chicago team that had Crede beating Aramis!!!!!!!!

we be jake
01-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Nothin' good at the trib since Royko!!

Frankfan4life
01-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm with with you gobears. I was voting alone for a while then my internet connection broke down. It's still a little shaky but I'm going to try to go at it again. Since I have to delete cookies, I can't vote and stay logged on to WSI at the same time.

Frankfan4life
01-03-2006, 11:57 PM
What happened to the poll? I can't find the poll anymore. All I see is a poll about Kurt Hinrich. Has anyone else got that problem?

Frankfan4life
01-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Nevermind, I found it. But, it looks like I'm voting alone again.

Hitmen77
01-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Sox are now at 16.8%.

By the way, I noticed that the Bulls are measuring just barely above the Blackhawks here.

kevin57
01-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Sox are now at 16.8%.

By the way, I noticed that the Bulls are measuring just barely above the Blackhawks here.

Shows how quickly a 'dynasty' can end. :tongue: