PDA

View Full Version : Also new from SW Florida

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Im new as of today. Im retired Chicagoan now living in SW Florida. Been a die hard Sox Fan since 1953. First game was in July 1954. sat behind Minnie in left field. I still wake up every morning and pinch myself and realize that the Sox are World Champions. Lot of my friends down here are Red sox fans and some can be quite obnoxius but everyone of them called me and congradulated me on the White Sox Championship. Some bought me souvenirs, I felt like I was the owner of the Sox:smile:

ilsox7
01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Where in SW FLA?

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Bonita Springs, between Naples and Ft Myers. Always manage to see Sox when they play the Devil Rays in St Pete.

ilsox7
01-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Bonita Springs, between Naples and Ft Myers. Always manage to see Sox when they play the Devil Rays in St Pete.
Cool. I've spent quite a bit of time on Sanibel. Nice area.

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Its a great area but population is exploding and the roads are a nightmare especially in season.

ilsox7
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Its a great area but population is exploding and the roads are a nightmare especially in season.

Yea, if I am ever there during season I stay on island and just use the bike to get around.

SoxFan76
01-02-2006, 02:59 PM

My grandparents live in Estero, also very close.

Lip Man 1
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Little Nell:

How close do you live to Greg Luzinski?

Lip

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Luzinski lives about 10 miles south of me.

beckett21
01-02-2006, 08:12 PM
:welcome:

My folks moved to Naples 3 years ago, and haven't looked back.

I get down there once or twice a year. Absolutely love it.

Red Barchetta
01-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Welcome! I am a recent Chicago-SW Florida transfer. I moved in April 05' to Sarasota area (Lakewood Ranch/Bradenton).

I still kept my season tickets as I share a package with some friends so I was able to see about 10 games including the ALCS series against the Angels. I also went to the three games against the Rays in St. Pete so I was able to get my SOX fix.

I did feel a little left out after our SOX won the series. I only received a few congratulations from folks in my office (Tampa). Most folks are east coast transfers so once the Red Sox and Yankees were out, it was on to football.

That's OK, I know Chicago was nuts and I plan to go back next season for a few more games. No way am I giving up my share in the ticket package! :D:

On the flip side, it's sort of fun being only one of a few people (off-season) actually wearing a SOX hat and other SOX gear. I ran into another SOX fan at the local Home Depot two weeks after we won the series. We both immediately recognized that we were true long-time SOX fans (both from Chicago) because I was wearing my old "C" red/blue hat and he had the old navy SOX block logo hat on. We had a nice 30 minute talk about everything SOX.

MiamiSpartan
01-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Welcome Nell. I agree with you that it's nice over on your coast, but the traffic is a real SOB...I'll be heading up to Tampa to watch the Sox this year, also, if my work schedule allows it...

nevr say dye sox
01-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey Nell welcome, my parents have a house in the West Bay Club on 41 and Williams Rd. A lot of Chicago people in that area. I love going down there, but the traffic is horrible during season. I tell you, I thought driving in Chicago was dangerous. When you drive down there make sure you look both ways while crossing intersections. A majority of the people down there should have their licenses revoked. It amazing, these people can't even see. Just a warning to all who go down there, the blue hairs cannot see the stop lights, so when sitting at a light and it turns green, count to one thousand three before go go through, I've seen way to many close calls, and what gets me is these people who are driving don't even know that they almost caused an accident. Be CAREFUL!

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Ive been down here 12 years now and the traffic has gone from bad to insanity.

gobears1987
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Bonita Springs, between Naples and Ft Myers. Always manage to see Sox when they play the Devil Rays in St Pete.I just flew home from Naples. My paternal grandparents have a condo in that development that is on Imperial Golf Course Drive and my maternal grandmother is renting one off of Wiggins Pass so I know that area.

I agree on the traffic though. Don't drive on Pine Ridge unless you want to die. The Florida drivers are crazy. At least they can see over the wheel on the West coast. East coast is bad.

Red Barchetta
01-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey Nell welcome, my parents have a house in the West Bay Club on 41 and Williams Rd. A lot of Chicago people in that area. I love going down there, but the traffic is horrible during season. I tell you, I thought driving in Chicago was dangerous. When you drive down there make sure you look both ways while crossing intersections. A majority of the people down there should have their licenses revoked. It amazing, these people can't even see. Just a warning to all who go down there, the blue hairs cannot see the stop lights, so when sitting at a light and it turns green, count to one thousand three before go go through, I've seen way to many close calls, and what gets me is these people who are driving don't even know that they almost caused an accident. Be CAREFUL!

Welcome again Nell. I'll also add to the Florida driving scene...it's crazy. When I moved from Chicago last April the crazy driving was the first thing I noticed. I have a 40 mile commute into Tampa and below are a few observations differing SW Florida from Chicago...(1) There is no concept of slower traffic staying to the right in SW Florida. Chicago at least had some understanding of this concept, however I have seen semis hauling logs in the 4th left lane of the expressway with no cars in front of them and literally causing traffic jams. (2) Disappearing Lanes - Many side roads and non-expressway routes have lanes that "disapear" and turn into left only and right only turn lanes. With all the seasonal drivers and tourists this type of road design helps encourage accidents as drivers are forced to switch lanes when wanting to drive straight. (3) Overhead signals - Funny how they only string one light over an intersection. If you're turning left, you can't even see if the light has change and lastly (4) A volitile mix of drivers that include elderly, non-English reading drivers, road cowboys with chipped up pickups and 4X4s and work trucks literally falling apart on the roads. Be careful out there!

After close to 20 years of non-eventful driving in Chicagoland, I've already had two flat/sheered tires and a ladder fall off a truck in front of me driving 70 mph plus.