PDA

View Full Version : Is Hermanson healthy?

OG4LIFE
01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I hope people don't forget Hermy's 34 saves and the job he did out of the pen last year. take him out of the equation and you could make a case that the sox dont make the postseason.

i havent heard any news on the health of his back... is he going to be 100% at the start of the season? getting back a healthy hermanson would be a big addition from the team we went through the playoffs with, in addition to thome, vazquez, and mackowiak.

some of his impressive #'s:
57.1 IP, 2.04 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, only 4 HR allowed and 17 BB, .222 BA against

Fred Manrique
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree 100% that if he's healthy and can return to his 2005 form, we're sitting pretty in the bullpen, especially if McCarty ends up taking Vizciano's innings. It would be nice to get another lefty, but Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Hermanson, and McCarty looks great to me.

kevin57
01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I've been wondering the same question.

Because of so many other big-time moves, Hermanson's condition has been under the radar screen.

He said something during a post-season interview that concerned me. He said that he's "gotten used" to the back pain as something that will just be a part of his future. It's hard to believe he could be as effective next year if his back simply is untreatable.

Chitown Hitmen
01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
I think he would be healthy, considering the time he has had to recover, since it's not anything severe. He should take on his regular closing role, or if not, Bobby Jenks might take it possibly.

OG4LIFE
01-02-2006, 01:17 PM
He said something during a post-season interview that concerned me. He said that he's "gotten used" to the back pain as something that will just be a part of his future. It's hard to believe he could be as effective next year if his back simply is untreatable.

this interview is also the same thing that has me worried. i recall reading somewhere (i'm sorry i do not remember where or have the source) that there really isnt anything that can be done, surgery or other kind of treatment. anyone else know what i'm talking about?

OG4LIFE
01-02-2006, 01:18 PM
I think he would be healthy, considering the time he has had to recover, since it's not anything severe.

what exactly was his injury? bulging/inflammed disk(s)?

Lip Man 1
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
My recollection is that the injury is in the lower back, nothing can be done to correct it and that Dustin has to continue with his daily exersizes or he'll have serious issues with it.

Basically the White Sox won't know about him until he gets out there and throws. Can he pitch in back to back days? Will he still have his velocity?

All the more reason why Williams simply has to protect himself and pick up another arm or two for the bullpen. The way Ozzie can go through his bullpen and with the trades of Marte and Vizcaino he simply must protect himself and the club.

Lip

DickAllen72
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I've been wondering about Hermanson's health as well. I must have heard Don Cooper interviewed on the radio a half dozen times since the Series ended and NO ONE ever asks about Dustin!

I wish someone would ask Coop or Dustin himself on the Saturday Sox radio show.

HomeFish
01-02-2006, 01:52 PM
If you've read any of my posts on the bullpen, you know that I consider Hermanson a black hole -- that is, I consider him as good as gone and think we absolutely need to find a replacement.

I don't know if Kenny is going that far, but since he got insurance for the injured Crede, I sure hope he does the same for Hermanson. Otherwise, it could be a long season.

There are still two bullpen holes to fill (three if a starter is traded), and Kenny hasn't done anything about it.

buehrle4cy05
01-02-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't know if Kenny is going that far, but since he got insurance for the injured Crede, I sure hope he does the same for Hermanson. Otherwise, it could be a long season.

I agree that Kenny needs to sign another reliever, but even if Hermanson is hurt, the bullpen shapes up:
9th- Jenks
8th- Cotts/Politte
7th- Politte/Cotts
6th and earlier- McCarthy

KW is going to sign somebody else. And if he doesn't, I wouldn't go jump off a cliff.

HomeFish
01-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I agree that Kenny needs to sign another reliever, but even if Hermanson is hurt, the bullpen shapes up:
9th- Jenks
8th- Cotts/Politte
7th- Politte/Cotts
6th and earlier- McCarthy

KW is going to sign somebody else. And if he doesn't, I wouldn't go jump off a cliff.

We still need somebody in the Damaso Marte spot. And the BMac spot, if we trade a starter. And we can't let Dustin get replaced by nothing.

Cotts and Politte would very quickly wear out if they were the only guys used out of the bullpen like that.

TomBradley72
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I see Jenks/Cotts as the "closers" for this bullpen. Politte/Hermanson as the 7th/8th inning "set up" guys...BMac as the "long man"/"swing starter" in case of injury/doubleheaders, etc....the 6th guy will hopefully be a decent LH they pick up before Opening Night. This would lighten the load for Hermie a bit...and might help him deal with his chronic back problems.

NorthSideSox72
01-02-2006, 05:26 PM
I think he would be healthy, considering the time he has had to recover, since it's not anything severe. He should take on his regular closing role, or if not, Bobby Jenks might take it possibly.

Not anything severe? He has a herniated disc in his lower back, which is either untreatable or would require high-rish surgery, and in the meantime is painful and restricts movement. And he is a pitcher. It's a chronic problem, and while it may temporarily get better, it won't improve with age. He'd be in the small minority if he could come back and have a healthier year than last year with that kind of problem. I appreciate what he did for the Sox in '05, but it should be pretty obvious that he lost some speed and pitch movement last year, and this year is likely to be worse.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. He's a great guy to have around when healthy.