PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Plans For Cotts?

wsox3505
01-02-2006, 01:17 AM
I was trying to figure out why KW would even consider trading a starting pitcher now, even if it's for Tejada. Granted, if Conteras is being dangled, clearly it's because he will be a free agent after 2006, but he is still crucial to the wsox playoff aspirations this season. I'm of the opinion that having 5 starters+Mccarthy and Uribe is better than having tejada, unless. . . .

A possible explanation is that KW feels that Cotts will be an adequate insurance policy in case a starter goes down in 2007. Could he become insurance (i.e. potential #6 starter) if JC is traded before the season and step in if a starter gets hurt as early as THIS season? I was just thinking that maybe Cotts is being groomed in such a way by the front office. The bullpen probably couldn't handle losing Cotts this season to the rotation, but 2007 is different. Thoughts?

knocko94
01-02-2006, 01:35 AM
I don't think Cotts will ever be a starting pitcher again. He doesn't have enough pitches in his repertoire to hang.

He'll stay in the pen and excel.

SOXSINCE'70
01-02-2006, 09:47 AM

Agreed.He's too valuable to put in the starting rotation.
He also,at one point last year,was better at getting right handed
hitters out as opposed to lefties.:o: :o:

veeter
01-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree, I don't see Cotts as a starter.

JorgeFabregas
01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
So, where in the charter of Planet White Sox does it say that they need to go into next season with 6 starters, or 5 starters and an emergency starter? Sure, one could get injured, but that's a risk every team in the MLB takes.

Chitown Hitmen
01-02-2006, 10:20 AM
We need to sign him to a long-term deal. He is a great pitcher, after showing that from '05.

The Deacon
01-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I was trying to figure out why KW would even consider trading a starting pitcher now, even if it's for Tejada. Granted, if Conteras is being dangled, clearly it's because he will be a free agent after 2006, but he is still crucial to the wsox playoff aspirations this season. I'm of the opinion that having 5 starters+Mccarthy and Uribe is better than having tejada, unless. . . .

A possible explanation is that KW feels that Cotts will be an adequate insurance policy in case a starter goes down in 2007. Could he become insurance (i.e. potential #6 starter) if JC is traded before the season and step in if a starter gets hurt as early as THIS season? I was just thinking that maybe Cotts is being groomed in such a way by the front office. The bullpen probably couldn't handle losing Cotts this season to the rotation, but 2007 is different. Thoughts?

I've read several times that the SOX intention is to make Cotts a starter eventually. I'm not sure how I feel about it. If Cotts can turn the corner and become an excellent starter he'll be more valuable to the team. However, after watching him start a couple of times in 2004, I'm not sure he'll ever become a GREAT starter.
The only thing we know for sure is that he will definitely will not be seeing the starting rotation in 2006 unless we find another solid lefty out of the pen.

soxtalker
01-02-2006, 11:01 AM
I've read/heard that also. I get the impression that it is probably what Cotts wants to do. If he wants a chance at starting pitcher, he probably has pitched well enough that some team will give him that chance. And he must be getting within a year or two of free agency.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I doubt that Cotts will be a starter, especially since we don't have another quality LHP for the bullpen, yet... I think if there will be another trade, it will be to help out the bullpen, not a Tejada deal. Hermanson, Cotts, Jenks, Politte, and McCarthy will not be enough for the whole season and Uribe is fine right now.

Lip Man 1
01-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Ozzie was asked about this and said he is staying in the bullpen.

Lip

HomeFish
01-02-2006, 01:47 PM
So, where in the charter of Planet White Sox does it say that they need to go into next season with 6 starters, or 5 starters and an emergency starter? Sure, one could get injured, but that's a risk every team in the MLB takes.

Other teams have guys in their farm system who could be called up to start. We don't.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Other teams have guys in their farm system who could be called up to start. We don't.

http://images.art.com/images/-/Dilbert---Just-Shut-Up--C10114871.jpeg

HomeFish
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
http://images.art.com/images/-/Dilbert---Just-Shut-Up--C10114871.jpeg

And exactly which of our minor leaguers do you believe could come up and start in 2006?

WhiteSoxFan84
01-02-2006, 02:29 PM
And exactly which of our minor leaguers do you believe could come up and start in 2006?

No team has Johan Santana's or Roy Oswalt's waiting in their minor league systems. But they do have servicable pitchers in the waiting. And we do as well, and they are: Sean Tracey, Tim Redding, Josh Stewart, and Arnie Munoz (should be improved from 2004).

Brian26
01-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't think Cotts will ever be a starting pitcher again. He doesn't have enough pitches in his repertoire to hang.

:jerry

"We don't want to waste him as a starter against the Tigers."

Brian26
01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree, I don't see Cotts as a starter.

:jerry

"Unless we've got a chance to sweep against the Yankees."

SoxFan76
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM

Yeah, we have 6 starters on the major league roster.

Just go away already.

DSpivack
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, we have 6 starters on the major league roster.

Just go away already.

He's saying in case of injury.

Also, I see Cotts as a closer someday, but never a starter.

SoxFan76
01-02-2006, 04:04 PM
He's saying in case of injury.

Also, I see Cotts as a closer someday, but never a starter.

My bad, I was quick to jump all over Homefish.

HomeFish
01-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah. I'm really big on the idea of staying with 6 starters, because of the unmatched insurance it gives us.

The 5th Starter Black Hole of 2004 was something that traumatized me, something that left a pernament scar on me. I don't want to have to live through that again. With Six starters, the odds that I have to are diminished greatly.

But if we trade a starter, and then have just 5 starters, and one gets injured, I don't see how we could possibly get a decent replacement out of our farm system. The three names mentioned so far are far from being even mediocre Major Leaguers.

Daver
01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Lance Broadway could be rushed up if needed, but you would probably end up with another Kip Wells type failure.

forrestg
01-02-2006, 05:01 PM
All pitchers report to spring training in Febuary. Garcia and Buehrle will be gone some of the time for the baseball classic. I'm guessing that during the offseason that cotts could be working on a new pitch to add to his repetoire and he also may get a few starts at spring training when 2 of our aces our absent.

Domeshot17
01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Listening to Ozzie talk about Cotts it sounds more and more like he has a long future ahead of him as a setup/closer type ( the ozzie hybrid we saw last year).

I dont fret too much about sp insurance. When Broadway was drafted it was said he would rise through the minors quickly because he didnt rely on velocity as much as command, very buehlre esque.

Besides if someone gets hurt, we can go get Aaron Small

Exit_Only
01-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I've read/heard that also. I get the impression that it is probably what Cotts wants to do. If he wants a chance at starting pitcher, he probably has pitched well enough that some team will give him that chance. And he must be getting within a year or two of free agency.
OMFG :(:

Either a year or two from free agency, or been in the league one or two years. Same thing.

Exit_Only
01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
No team has Johan Santana's or Roy Oswalt's waiting in their minor league systems. But they do have servicable pitchers in the waiting. And we do as well, and they are: Sean Tracey, Tim Redding, Josh Stewart, and Arnie Munoz (should be improved from 2004).

IIRC, Stewart is no longer with the organization.

doublem23
01-03-2006, 12:25 AM

Other teams aren't World Champs, either.

Tragg
01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
There may be a lot of solid reasons why he wouldn't be a good starter; however, his failure in his 2 or so starts in 2004 is not one of them, imo.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Josh Stewart

I think Stewart is in Japan now. He isn't with the Sox anymore.

HomeFish
01-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Other teams aren't World Champs, either.

Very true. And why are we World Champs? Because we had 5 quality Major-League Starters at all points during the season.

Domeshot17
01-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Last Year we also were lucky enough to get a full season out of our big 4 and had McCarthy as a back up to El Duque. This year we have 5 sp who havent shown much wear and tear and Bmac who should have a pretty fresh arm. We have Hermanson, who I am honestly not sure how his back is healing, but he has been both an adequete starter and a dominating reliever. Broadway could rise quickly as well. We all know KW isnt done with the bullpen, needing to add another left hander and also needing to pick up a replacement for Viz ( Bajaneau could fill that role). To me, We know we have Politte and Cotts in the 7th and 8th and the wide and tall one in the ninth, so that could open up Hermanson as an emergency starter if needed. Cotts seems like plan 5 or 6 as emergency sp.

Plus, Ozzie is our manager, and he is a big if it isnt broke dont fix it guy. Cotts and his role are far from broken. Ontop of that, listening to him he (a) loves chicago (b) loves his team mates and (c) admitted liking pitching 60+
times a season

And whoever thought Cotts was nearing free agency He has only 2 full years of major league experience ( his 13 inning stint did not qualify him as a rookie in 2003). He is ours for a few more years

jehosaphat
01-03-2006, 01:57 PM
There may be a lot of solid reasons why he wouldn't be a good starter; however, his failure in his 2 or so starts in 2004 is not one of them, imo.

Right - you said it well. And one more thing - he excelled so much as a reliever that I would guess his career goals are now pointed to being a closer. He's such a quality guy, that of course he would be more than willing to start if Ozzie wants or needs him in this role. However, when Cotts has another year like the last one - you may find teams in 2007 falling all over themselves trying to get him. Cotts came a helluva long way in 2005, and he's not going back.

Flight #24
01-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I believe I've heard comments from KW and/or Coop a couple of times that they "could get someone from the 'pen" as a starter down the line or if they traded one of their current 6.

I suppose that could be Hermanson, but I'm guessing it's Cotts. As wonderful and valuable as he is as a reliever, if they think he can be an effective starter, that's a far far better use of him. Think about it this way - if Neal can be a solid #4 type pitcher (or better), that's the equivalent of an FA that would make say $7M in today's market. I think you can find a lockdown setup guy (not a closer) for a lot closer to $3M than $7M. If he wants to close - too bad. He has to beat out Jenks here, and the Sox aren't letting him go unless htye get a ton in return.

Plus I don't know where, but I believe I've heard specific comments that the org views Neal as a starter long-term. I can believe that wouldn't even consider it in '06 barring injury, but 07-08 I'd guess he's at least considered depending on the status of the Broadway/Tracey/etc group.

wsox3505
01-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I believe I've heard comments from KW and/or Coop a couple of times that they "could get someone from the 'pen" as a starter down the line or if they traded one of their current 6.

I suppose that could be Hermanson, but I'm guessing it's Cotts. As wonderful and valuable as he is as a reliever, if they think he can be an effective starter, that's a far far better use of him. Think about it this way - if Neal can be a solid #4 type pitcher (or better), that's the equivalent of an FA that would make say $7M in today's market. I think you can find a lockdown setup guy (not a closer) for a lot closer to $3M than $7M. If he wants to close - too bad. He has to beat out Jenks here, and the Sox aren't letting him go unless htye get a ton in return.

Plus I don't know where, but I believe I've heard specific comments that the org views Neal as a starter long-term. I can believe that wouldn't even consider it in '06 barring injury, but 07-08 I'd guess he's at least considered depending on the status of the Broadway/Tracey/etc group.

I agree with what you're saying. This is why I started this thread. . .for some reason, I remember someone saying that Cotts would be considered for the rotation down the line. I think he could become a great starting pitcher and would be more valuable to the team in that role. Maybe management will not allow him to start until after signing him to an extension, otherwise they would have to pay him more in free agency, especially if he proves himself capable of starting. (He's already one of the best lefty relievers).