PDA

View Full Version : Anderson: How does he compare?

mike squires
01-01-2006, 11:13 PM
A day after the Thome/Rowand deal I was exiting the gym and one of the guys who knew I was a Sox fan asked me about the deal. I told him I wasn't sure yet and told him to ask me this time nexzt year. After having some time to think about it I like the deal and I thin we'll get more production from him and he'll draw some walks for Paulie to drive him in. I was discussing this with my wife tonight but she isn't sold on it. She said, "There few people who will go into a wall like Aaron does."

That got me thinking. Have we seen enough of Brian Anderson to make a determination on how he fits in to the sox brand of baseball? Will he be a grinder? Will he charge head first into a wall?

Just curious. Things have been quiet around here lately. Talk amongst yourselves.

1951Campbell
01-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, he's been around the team (and Rowand) a decent amount. I don't see anything to make me think he won't be a wall-crashing type of guy. I guess time will tell.

ondafarm
01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I saw Anderson play plenty in the minors. Anderson is a far smarter and more natural player than Rowand. He gets better jumps and will position better than Rowand. He won't run into walls as much as Rowand because he will be in position to make the play faster and will not need to be at a dead run just before getting the ball.

gr8mexico
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure if B.Anderson will be the starting CF. I have a feeling that Owens might be in charge in CF. Owens has everything Ozzie wants @ the #2 spot speed and he would add another LH bat to the lineup. Owens hit .331 in AA last year and .292 the year before in single A. I think Owens has alot of potential and Ozzie is very impress with the way Owens is playing for Joey's team in Venezuela.If Owens has a good spring training Ozzie wont have a problem handing the job over to him. http://www.tsn.ca/images/elements/pix.gif

batmanZoSo
01-02-2006, 12:27 AM
I saw Anderson play plenty in the minors. Anderson is a far smarter and more natural player than Rowand. He gets better jumps and will position better than Rowand. He won't run into walls as much as Rowand because he will be in position to make the play faster and will not need to be at a dead run just before getting the ball.

Do you think he's a competent center fielder or is he more likely to be a corner, with Owens playing center?

I have yet to see him in person, so I can't really judge his defense. But it doesn't strike me that hustling will be a problem with him. He seems like a pretty hard-nosed kind of player.

pearso66
01-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Do you think he's a competent center fielder or is he more likely to be a corner, with Owens playing center?

I have yet to see him in person, so I can't really judge his defense. But it doesn't strike me that hustling will be a problem with him. He seems like a pretty hard-nosed kind of player.

While I've never seen him play, I have heard that Anderson is a superior defensive player to Rowand, even in center.

dugwood31
01-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Anderson has a higher offensive upside, I think. Aaron's 05 production was more typical than his 04 production, I'm guessing. Defensively, it's close enough to be a wash, according to everything I've read.

Daver
01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Anderson is a CFer, not a converted RFer like Rowand.