PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Juan Uribe

Lillian
01-01-2006, 07:49 AM
With all of the speculation about the Tejada trade, I wanted to focus on the real assessment of Uribe, his prior stats, potential, and some of the intangibles that he brings to the game. Please indulge me.

If you include his Post Season Stats from this past year, he ended up with:
AB Hits 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO OBP AVG

523 133 28 3 17 78 39 85 .307 .254

Now add that to his terrific 2004 stats, which were as follows:

502 142 31 6 23 74 32 96 .327 .283

And it's not as though he had not shown signs of good offensive production prior to coming to the Sox from Colorado. He did hit .300 his rookie year, and his 15 doubles, 11 triples, 8 homers and 53 RBI's, in just 273 AB's, project
to 30 doubles, 22 triples, 16 homers, and 106 RBI's.

Remember that he broke his foot and missed the first two months of his last season with the Rockies, which was 2003. Nevertheless, he still managed to put up some pretty good numbers. Although he did hit just .253, he had
19 doubles, 3 triples, and 10 homers in just 87 games. That is just a little more than half a season, so again he did produce.

It is well known that he did not communicate well with his manager and coaches, while at Colorado, primarily because of the language barrier, which has been resolved in Chicago, under Ozzie's tutelage.

I watched him play in all of his Spring training games at Tucson, in 2004, when he first came over. I was very impressed. I had never seen him play, and he was very exciting. He was playing second base then, and I remember thinking that he was going to break a first baseman's hand with his canon shot throws from such a close range. That arm of his is really extraordinary, and is a tremendous asset, especially in turning the double play.
I saw all four of his homers that Spring, and the ball seemed to jump off of his bat. He has very strong hands.
When the 2004 campaign started, Uribe carried the Sox in April, with a .393 average, and lot's of extra base hits. I thought at the time, "wow, this kid is going to be something.
Now I know that he has had a bad habit of chasing breaking balls away, and that he has been a free swinger, but this new leg lifting timing device that he and Greg Walker discovered late last year, seems to be making a big difference. The guy has tremendous natural talent and tools. He has to have a lot of natural ability to overcome those horrible fundamentals! Have you ever seen a player who plays the way he does? He doesn't do anything conventional, or the way that you would teach a youngster to execute. But hey, isn't that half of the fun of watching him?

At any rate, I just think that a lot of you are underestimating this kid's upside. Remember, we are talking about a short stop, and a good defensive one at that. How much offensive production do you need at that position?
I believe that he will ultimately produce offensive numbers, at least comparable to what he accomplished in 2004, and the upside is considerable.
I think that he could be an impact player on offense. He has that much talent. What do you think?

ilsox7
01-01-2006, 08:32 AM
What's your point?

If this has to do with Tejada, well Uribe is good, Tejada is better. Trying to argue against that assertion is foolish.

Tragg
01-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Nice Post Lillian. It's nice to see analysis of a Sox player and one that demonstrates that a Sox player is a good player.

The team that gets Uribe, if he is traded, will get a good player, better than many SS out there. The amount of Sox talent that would have to be forfeited in upgrading to all-star performer should a lot less than were Uribe a powerless Mendoza-line hack (as Uribe would likely be included in the upgrade).
One year ago, we actually downgraded from near allstar and all star to good, in order to free up other positions. Sort of the opposite of what's suggested in the Tejada trade.

ilsox7
01-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Nice Post Lillian.

Sometimes we/I forget that a switch to Tejada would not a move from a bad to an all-star player, but a move from a good player to an all star player. The amount of Sox talent that would have to be forfeited in upgrading to all-star performer should a lot less than were Uribe a powerless Mendoza-line hack (as Uribe would likely be included in the upgrade).
One year ago, we actually downgraded from near allstar and all star to good, in order to free up other positions. Sort of the opposite of what's suggested in the Tejada trade.
I don't think anyone here disputes this. We all know that Juan is a good player with some decent potential. But he is not better than Tejada. I dunno, I guess I just feel that this Tejada thing is getting way overblown. If we get him, great...we will be a better team. If we don't get him, we are still a great team with just as good of a chance to win it all next year.

Also, all indications are that getting Tejada would not handcuff us with other acquisitions. Ownership is increasing payroll significantly. The only cost would essentially be one of our 6 starters and maybe a prospect.

Lillian
01-01-2006, 09:02 AM
The point is that I don't think some here are making a fair assessment of Uribe's value. Remember that the proposed trade is not Uribe for Tejada. It is for our Ace starter and Uribe. I'm personally not that concerned about the need to upgrade our starting shortstop, especially at the expense of a dominating starter like Contreras. Of course, Tejada is a better offensive player than Uribe. I never suggested that he wasn't. Uribe is however a very good defensive shortstop, and a decent offensive player for that position. Moreover, he has shown enough promise in his brief career, at age 26, to be considered a potentially good offensive player.

ilsox7
01-01-2006, 09:07 AM
The point is that I don't think some here are making a fair assessment of Uribe's value. Remember that the proposed trade is not Uribe for Tejada. It is for our Ace starter and Uribe. I'm personally not that concerned about the need to upgrade our starting shortstop, especially at the expense of a dominating starter like Contreras. Of course, Tejada is a better offensive player than Uribe. I never suggested that he wasn't. Uribe is however a very good defensive shortstop, and a decent offensive player for that position. Moreover, he has shown enough promise in his brief career, at age 26, to be considered a potentially good offensive player.

Ok, I don't think anyone here (well anyone who is sane) is or would dispute that. As for the pros and cons of the trade, there are a million posts on it. I agree that you bring up good points, but I think that the argument has been hashed and re-hashed. Some people think Tejada isn't worth a good pitcher, some think he is. All that is left is to see what KW thinks.

Lillian
01-01-2006, 09:22 AM
I agree that the rumored trade has already been "hashed, and re-hashed" in previous threads. That is why I was hoping that this thread could focus upon an assessment of Uribe. You'll note that I didn't discuss the trade in my original post for this new thread.
If anyone has any further insight, or perspective regarding Uribe, I would appreciate your input.

ilsox7
01-01-2006, 09:28 AM
I agree that the rumored trade has already been "hashed, and re-hashed" in previous threads. That is why I was hoping that this thread could focus upon an assessment of Uribe. You'll note that I didn't discuss the trade in my original post for this new thread.
If anyone has any further insight, or perspective regarding Uribe, I would appreciate your input.
I think Juan's value to the team is very well noticed amongst us Sox fans. He is Top 5 in the game defensively, has some nice pop in his bat, and has shwon flashes of being able to hit for average. He needs to be more selective.

Probably one of his biggest attributes is his reasonable contract. He's a bargain right now for the next couple of years. Again, I think everyone here realizes this and does not dispute it at all. If they do, they're not of sane mind.

Tragg
01-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Also, all indications are that getting Tejada would not handcuff us with other acquisitions. Ownership is increasing payroll significantly. The only cost would essentially be one of our 6 starters and maybe a prospect. And Uribe. Starter plus Uribe plus prospect. And that starter could be the only young and cheap one we have. Some of us are concerned not about trades this year, but keeping the Sox in the game for the next 10.

Also, she wrote a a detailed, well thought out fact based analysis of a Sox player. Why does that deserve a harsh rsponse? It should be applauded, considering the amount of drivel on this board (much from me, I know) in comparison.

And there are legitimate questions about Tejada's attitude.

ilsox7
01-01-2006, 09:44 AM
And Uribe. Starter plus Uribe plus prospect. And that starter could be the only young and cheap one we have. Some of us are concerned not about trades this year, but keeping the Sox in the game for the next 10.

Also, she wrote a a detailed, well thought out fact based analysis of a Sox player. Why does that deserve a harsh rsponse? It should be applauded, considering the amount of drivel on this board (much from me, I know) in comparison.
First, I didn't mean it to be harsh. I apologize if it was. I was just trying to understand the point behind it. It was a good analysis of Uribe, but I felt as though it was coming from a defensive position. Like someone had or has been attacking Uribe as a player. And I have not seen much of that at all around WSI. Almost universally, Uribe is appreciated and well-liked by the fans. We see his great defensive value and potential with the bat.

I realize the trade would cost us Uribe, but I do not consider that a loss when Tejada would be his replacement. So essentially, the trade costs us a starting pitcher and a propsect. Now, if that starting pitcher is JC, then the decision comes down to whether or not KW thinks we can win with 5 very good pitchers and Tejada. If that starting pitcher is Garcia or Vazquez, I would think KW has plans to extend JC for 2-3 years, thus keeping the rotation in place through at least 2007.

I think it is unlikely that Tejada is traded to the Sox. And that is just fine by me. I love our pitching and I think Uribe is a good player. I also do not think you'll find many people who will be distraught at the though of not getting Tejada. We have a damn good team either way.

veeter
01-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I love Juan Uribe. Noone is a better defensive shortstop. He must stay.

Crede_Fan
01-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Agreed!!

Chitown Hitmen
01-01-2006, 11:54 AM

How about Omar Vizquel, Wil Cordero even, Derek Jeter, and Cesar Izturis IMO are better defensively.

Crede_Fan
01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
How about Omar Vizquel, Wil Cordero even, Derek Jeter , and Cesar Izturis IMO are better defensively.

Not a chance!

Corlose 15
01-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I'd take Uribe over Jeter. IMO Derek Jeter is the Tom Brady of MLB.

Anyways, I think Uribe can still be a solid offensive player. I think the Sox are better with Contreras and Uribe than Tejada. No doubt Tejada is a great player but I think Contreras is gonna be a monster this year. Thats just a feeling based on last year. I'm interested to see how Uribe does in the 2 hole in spring training, if he can be an adequate replacement for Iguchi, then the offense gets that much better by unleashing Tadahito towards the bottom of the order.

Chitown Hitmen
01-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Not a chance!

Well, I just looked at their stats, and IMO it's hard to choose which one is better.

Derek Jeters stats:
G PO A E DP FP
1520 2319 3896 160 803 .975
Juan Stats
G PO A E DP FP
598 1012 1758 71 415 .975

Ok, I'm going with Juan better, so I take back Derek being better.

Chitown Hitmen
01-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Anyways, I think Uribe can still be a solid offensive player. I think the Sox are better with Contreras and Uribe than Tejada. No doubt Tejada is a great player but I think Contreras is gonna be a monster this year. Thats just a feeling based on last year. I'm interested to see how Uribe does in the 2 hole in spring training, if he can be an adequate replacement for Iguchi, then the offense gets that much better by unleashing Tadahito towards the bottom of the order.

Are you kidding, you would really have a free-swinger like
Juan Uribe hit number two in the order? He won't be doing nearly as good as a job as Tada did. We will score less runs, juan just will not get the job done that much.

The Deacon
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
How about Omar Vizquel, Wil Cordero even, Derek Jeter, and Cesar Izturis IMO are better defensively.

Jeter? Please. Talk to any honest Yankees fan and they will tell you Jeter is one of the most overrated defensive players in the game. He just has the luxury of being a media darling. If he makes a great play, it's on ESPN for the next week. If Jeter would have went into the stands like Uribe did in Game 4, ESPN would be calling it the play of the year. There are plenty of better defensive SS than Jeter. Tejada, Arod, and Uribe being 3 that you didnt mention.

Corlose 15
01-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Are you kidding, you would really have a free-swinger like
Juan Uribe hit number two in the order? He won't be doing nearly as good as a job as Tada did. We will score less runs, juan just will not get the job done that much.

Umm, thats why I said if Juan can be a serviceable replacement. Ozzie has already talked about his desire to bat Uribe 2nd so Iguchi can be somewhere he's more comfortable. If Uribe can be a serviceable 2nd hitter, Iguchi will become another solid run producer in the 6 or 7 spot. Uribe has the physical tools to do it, whether he can is unknown at this point.

DickAllen72
01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
What's your point?

If this has to do with Tejada, well Uribe is good, Tejada is better. Trying to argue against that assertion is foolish.

While watching the Sox post season game replays, consider this: Take away Contreras and Uribe and replace them with Tejada. Do the Sox do better or worse?

Daver
01-01-2006, 12:43 PM
The best SS in all of baseball plays third base for the Yankees.

Brian26
01-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Wil Cordero- That's got to be a typo.

Brian26
01-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Talk to any honest Yankees fan

That's like finding a needle in the haystack :D:

kwolf68
01-01-2006, 01:19 PM
What bothers me about many so-called sports fans is they complain that players have no sense of loyalty to teams. As I watch those fans who easily want to trade away our players (players who gave us our first Title in 88 years) for possible fools gold it is obvious to me us fans aren't loyal either.

Why should we expect our players to be loyal to us when we are trying to scuttle them off for the next wunderkind. The guy who will make us the next '27 Yankees.

Juan Uribe was masterful in post season. He hit well and made two stunning defensive plays in the clinching game. He is young and still loaded with great potential. I think he is a perfect fit for the White Sox.

Trading for a short stop (even one like Tejada) makes absolutely no sense. Not only do we have Uribe, but two of our best position prospects in the minors (Valido, Lopez) are both short stops.

I can see the value in bringing in Thome and Mackowiak, because those two players filled certifiable needs. However, Tejada does not. I love Uribe and the way he has worked hard to improve. At the beginning of last year he was not swinging the bat well, but by the end of the year he was becomming a real force. To raise you average that late in the season from .228 to .253 means you're hitting the ball well.

Let's keep Uribe. We can win with him, because we did win with him. And he's only getting better.

NeverForget42
01-01-2006, 01:25 PM

thats a good comparison in that

a.) they both have rings
b.) they are both media darlings

But I still think Tom Brady is one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL, where Jeter is not in the upper eschelon of his position in the MLB.

I would take Uribe over Jeter in a heartbeat.

Jeter's play that ESPN called one of the best of the year was hardly terrific especcially since they called him of the toughest players in baseball for 'diving' into the stands, but the thing is Jeter left the game after words due to a few cuts on his pretty-boy face

Jeter couldn't hold a torch to anyone on the WhiteSox in the toughness categorey.

Not to mention that when Daniel wright acctually completely laid himself out 180 degrees into the stands arm outtreched and caught that foul ball was one the most ridiculous plays I have ever seen. Plus, Uribe's play in the WS where he fell into the stands was basically the same play play as Jeter's and didn't even make the TopTen on SportsCenter.

WinOrDyeTrying
01-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Plus, Uribe's play in the WS where he fell into the stands was basically the same play play as Jeter's and didn't even make the TopTen on SportsCenter.

I remember that play. Very Jeter-esque, if you ask me.

beckett21
01-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't percieve any argument for Miguel Tejada as specifically an argument against Juan Uribe.

I've been a fan of Uribe's ever since he came here. His defense is superior to Tejada's. However, Miguel Tejada is probably one of the top 5-10 offensive threats in the game today, and he is in the prime of his career. His defense is not that much of a downgrade, and would be more than offset by his offense. Just look at Miguel's numbers--they speak for themselves. I also don't buy into the steroid *allegations,* sorry. Call me naive I guess.

Tejada is probably one of the few SS that I would sacrifice Uribe for. Definitely not a knock on Uribe. If Tejada doesn't come to the Sox I hope Uribe is at short for a long time.

I will be satisfied either way.

TheOldRoman
01-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't percieve any argument for Miguel Tejada as specifically an argument against Juan Uribe.

I've been a fan of Uribe's ever since he came here. His defense is superior to Tejada's. However, Miguel Tejada is probably one of the top 5-10 offensive threats in the game today, and he is in the prime of his career. His defense is not that much of a downgrade, and would be more than offset by his offense. Just look at Miguel's numbers--they speak for themselves. I also don't buy into the steroid *allegations,* sorry. Call me naive I guess.

Tejada is probably one of the few SS that I would sacrifice Uribe for. Definitely not a knock on Uribe. If Tejada doesn't come to the Sox I hope Uribe is at short for a long time.

I will be satisfied either way. I agree with you. I love Uribe, but Tejada is a huge offensive improvement.
However, Tejada is not all he is cut out to be. He is a great hitter, but he doesn't take walks. His career high in walks is only 66. That is especially poor when you consider he played in Oakland, where they are coached to take every pitch. For someone who has a career average of .280, a .338 OBP is not spectacular. Ideally, we would have a .400+ OBP in the three hole. (Thome has a .281 career average, but a .408 OBP. Frank put up a RIDICULOUS .427 career OBP).

Compare Tejada to Bobby Abreu, who was reportedly offered for Contreras. Obviously, Abreu isn't a shortstop, but he does play great D, and puts up huge numbers. Bobby has a .303 career average, and a .411 OBP. THAT is the kind of production I would pay $10mil plus to have in the three hole. I don't know if Abreu could play CF, or if Scotty would be serviceable in CF with a gold glover on each side. However, if this offer is real, this is the one you have to take. Abreu is by far a superior offensive player than Tejada.

beckett21
01-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree with you. I love Uribe, but Tejada is a huge offensive improvement.
However, Tejada is not all he is cut out to be. He is a great hitter, but he doesn't take walks. His career high in walks is only 66. That is especially poor when you consider he played in Oakland, where they are coached to take every pitch. For someone who has a career average of .280, a .338 OBP is not spectacular. Ideally, we would have a .400+ OBP in the three hole. (Thome has a .281 career average, but a .408 OBP. Frank put up a RIDICULOUS .427 career OBP).

Compare Tejada to Bobby Abreu, who was reportedly offered for Contreras. Obviously, Abreu isn't a shortstop, but he does play great D, and puts up huge numbers. Bobby has a .303 career average, and a .411 OBP. THAT is the kind of production I would pay $10mil plus to have in the three hole. I don't know if Abreu could play CF, or if Scotty would be serviceable in CF with a gold glover on each side. However, if this offer is real, this is the one you have to take. Abreu is by far a superior offensive player than Tejada.

Good points.

If the Sox could get Abreu for Contreras, that would be a brilliant move. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that Abreu is far superior offensively than Tejada, but your points are well taken.

I certainly can see where the case can be made that he is better offensively, and that he would be a better overall fit for this club. I don't necessarily dispute that.

If we're strictly talking Tejada v. Uribe though, all other things being equal I'd take Tejada without hesitation.

Jjav829
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM

I will be satisfied either way.
:worship: :worship: :worship: Thank you, beckett.

Everyone read this post. Then read it again and again and again. Then make sure you understand it.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Tejada trade around here. I think that he would be a great acquisition. That doesn't mean I have anything against Uribe. I like Uribe. IMO he is the best defensive shortstop in baseball. While he is hard to watch at the plate sometimes, I do think he can improve. That said, Tejada is one of the top 10 players in the game. He's a true difference maker and would upgrade this team immensely. While I think our lineup is solid right now, we do have to consider the fact that Thome is no lock to put up great numbers and let's face it, Jermaine Dye has a history of suffering injuries. While I think both will have good years, there is the possibility that one or both could suffer injuries. It's not like it would hurt us to have a deeper offense in case one or both of those players has a bad year.

TheOldRoman
01-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Good points.

If the Sox could get Abreu for Contreras, that would be a brilliant move. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that Abreu is far superior offensively than Tejada, but your points are well taken.

I certainly can see where the case can be made that he is better offensively, and that he would be a better overall fit for this club. I don't necessarily dispute that.

If we're strictly talking Tejada v. Uribe though, all other things being equal I'd take Tejada without hesitation.
Well, I may be naive in the fact that I see Uribe putting up Tejada-type numbers in the future. I think he could work his way up to a .300 average with 25-30 homers. Obviously, Tejada is far superior offensively to Uribe at this point in time, so the trade is an upgrade.

However, If we get Tejada, he will bat 3. His average looks good in the 3 hole, but not his OBP. If we trade for Tejada, he becomes our franchise player. I don't want the Sox spending $10 million plus a year on a 3 hitter unless he is a beast with a .400 OBP and 35+ homers a year. Tejada is an upgrade, but the money can be spent better elsewhere.

TheOldRoman
01-01-2006, 02:36 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Thank you, beckett.

Everyone read this post. Then read it again and again and again. Then make sure you understand it.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of the Tejada trade around here. I think that he would be a great acquisition. That doesn't mean I have anything against Uribe. I like Uribe. IMO he is the best defensive shortstop in baseball. While he is hard to watch at the plate sometimes, I do think he can improve. That said, Tejada is one of the top 10 players in the game. He's a true difference maker and would upgrade this team immensely. While I think our lineup is solid right now, we do have to consider the fact that Thome is no lock to put up great numbers and let's face it, Jermaine Dye has a history of suffering injuries. While I think both will have good years, there is the possibility that one or both could suffer injuries. It's not like it would hurt us to have a deeper offense in case one or both of those players has a bad year.
Well, if the Sox have the option of dealing Contreras and Uribe for Tejada or keeping Uribe and getting Bobby Abreu (assuming Levineline was right), which trade would you make? Tejada is a difference maker, but Abreu has put up considerably better numbers than Miguel. I think Abreu, of his career .303 average and .408 OBP would look much better than Tejada in the three hole. As I said, I don't know if Abreau would be serviceable in CF, or if Scotty would be serviceable in CF with a gold glover on each side of him. The defense might take a slight hit, but this trade or a Tejada trade is about upgrading our hitting. I thinik Abreu is the better deal.

HomeFish
01-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Well, I may be naive in the fact that I see Uribe putting up Tejada-type numbers in the future. I think he could work his way up to a .300 average with 25-30 homers. Obviously, Tejada is far superior offensively to Uribe at this point in time, so the trade is an upgrade.

25 homers? Yeah, he can probably put that up. .300 average? No way, with the way he hacks at the plate.

Uribe can hit for power and has an absolute cannon for an arm. I don't think anyone here disputes that. But a guy who hits for average he is not.

However, If we get Tejada, he will bat 3. His average looks good in the 3 hole, but not his OBP. If we trade for Tejada, he becomes our franchise player. I don't want the Sox spending $10 million plus a year on a 3 hitter unless he is a beast with a .400 OBP and 35+ homers a year. Tejada is an upgrade, but the money can be spent better elsewhere.

I see somebody has been spoiled by having Frank Thomas around all these years. Remember, if we get Tejada we have two 35+ homer guys right behind him.

Jjav829
01-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, if the Sox have the option of dealing Contreras and Uribe for Tejada or keeping Uribe and getting Bobby Abreu (assuming Levineline was right), which trade would you make? Tejada is a difference maker, but Abreu has put up considerably better numbers than Miguel. I think Abreu, of his career .303 average and .408 OBP would look much better than Tejada in the three hole. As I said, I don't know if Abreau would be serviceable in CF, or if Scotty would be serviceable in CF with a gold glover on each side of him. The defense might take a slight hit, but this trade or a Tejada trade is about upgrading our hitting. I thinik Abreu is the better deal.

I'd take Tejada. He's a couple years younger and plays a position that is much tougher to get offense from while not sacrificing a lot of defense. It's nothing against Abreu, and Abreu does put up the better numbers, but if you can get that offense from your shortstop and still get good defense, you do it.

beckett21
01-01-2006, 02:43 PM

Given the contract Rafael Furcal just got, Tejada would be an absolute steal. Bordering on criminal.

I love Uribe as much as the next guy, but I think that it is a bit ambitious to expect those types of numbers out of him. Tejada puts those kind of numbers up in his sleep, year in and year out. Uribe has potential and showed much better plate discipline later in the season, but it would be a lot to ask of him to carry the offense. Too much IMO. It would be a bonus, not something I would count on.

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely. But Tejada would be a steal given the current market. Like Jjav said, the team will be counting a lot on Thome having a rebound year and Dye staying healthy and continuing to perform at his current level. Neither is unreasonable, but neither is a lock either.

Like I said, I'll be content either way. I have no problems with Uribe, and if he's here for the long haul that's fine by me. If KW can spin off Contreras for Abreu, that's fine too. I still think Tejada is the best player of the bunch overall at this stage of their careers.

Dan Mega
01-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Jeter? Please. Talk to any honest Yankees fan and they will tell you Jeter is one of the most overrated defensive players in the game. He just has the luxury of being a media darling. If he makes a great play, it's on ESPN for the next week. If Jeter would have went into the stands like Uribe did in Game 4, ESPN would be calling it the play of the year. There are plenty of better defensive SS than Jeter. Tejada, Arod, and Uribe being 3 that you didnt mention.

If any player from the NY/Boston area does something spectucular the media practically makes movies and writes books about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Ozzie gave Uribe a free ride the entire 2005 season letting him bat #9. With Rowand gone and a rookie supposed to play everyday in centerfield, can Ozzie afford to let Uribe swing away batting #9 for a full season next year, too? I doubt it.

Tejada instantly becomes the franchise player in the Sox everyday line up. Comparing any #9 hitter to what he brings to the team is just plain silly.

veeter
01-03-2006, 07:22 AM
What bothers me about many so-called sports fans is they complain that players have no sense of loyalty to teams. As I watch those fans who easily want to trade away our players (players who gave us our first Title in 88 years) for possible fools gold it is obvious to me us fans aren't loyal either.

Why should we expect our players to be loyal to us when we are trying to scuttle them off for the next wunderkind. The guy who will make us the next '27 Yankees.

Juan Uribe was masterful in post season. He hit well and made two stunning defensive plays in the clinching game. He is young and still loaded with great potential. I think he is a perfect fit for the White Sox.

Trading for a short stop (even one like Tejada) makes absolutely no sense. Not only do we have Uribe, but two of our best position prospects in the minors (Valido, Lopez) are both short stops.

I can see the value in bringing in Thome and Mackowiak, because those two players filled certifiable needs. However, Tejada does not. I love Uribe and the way he has worked hard to improve. At the beginning of last year he was not swinging the bat well, but by the end of the year he was becomming a real force. To raise you average that late in the season from .228 to .253 means you're hitting the ball well.

Let's keep Uribe. We can win with him, because we did win with him. And he's only getting better.Excellent post. I say we challenge the old Dodger infield for time staying intact. Crede, Uribe, Iguchi and Konerko: a nice solid group.