PDA

View Full Version : This writer might be a WSI member

FanofBill
12-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Some of the things that he discussed has been talked about here, such as the Sox did not make the SI cover's story.

This is part of a whole article from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pennermain31dec31,0,2997415.story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pennermain31dec31,0,2997415.story)

"And in a stunning triumph that reversed a curse of more than 80 years, the Sox actually won the World Series.

So who hit the rewind button instead of play when 2004 gave way to 2005?

Was 2004 so wonderful a sports year, so undeniably and indelibly memorable, that, in a secret-ballot vote, it was decided to just replay it in 2005?

(Or was everybody so bored that no one noticed that the highlight loop on "SportsCenter" was simply one long rerun?) In truth, there were some tweaks.

For one, the Series-winning Sox were White, not Red, this time around. How could you tell? Oh, there were a few minor things. First, the East Coast media didn't drop into the fetal position at the sight of the White Sox winning it all, even though Chicago's championship drought (dating to 1917) was longer than Boston's (1918) and was arguably more implausible (Scott Podsednik? Geoff Blum?).

Also, the White Sox's amazing ride to the championship 11 victories in a dozen postseason games by a team overshadowed in its own hometown by the Cubs didn't even warrant Sports Illustrated's cover. No, that cover was devoted to previewing an event that happens every year and sometimes twice a year a game between the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots. (Worth noting: New England is on the East Coast. The White Sox are not.)"

MarySwiss
12-31-2005, 09:20 PM
WOW! Except for the "reverse a curse" claptrap, NICE! If this writer isn't a WSI member, he--or she--should be.

And ya gotta love the last couple of sentences!

RadioheadRocks
12-31-2005, 09:27 PM
Awesome article! :D:

chisoxmike
12-31-2005, 10:29 PM
If he was a WSI member, he would not have said something about a curse.

TDog
12-31-2005, 11:07 PM
If he was a WSI member, he would not have said something about a curse.

People who talk about curses in relation to the White Sox demonstrate that they simply don't know much about the White Sox. They believe that because the Red Sox and Cubs celebrate the notion of curses, that curses are a part of the game for teams that have long periods without a championship. This thing for curses must be fairly recent. I don't recall anyone talking about a curse on the Phillies before they won their only championship in 1980. I think that team went 93 years without a championship. But I have heard talk now of the Yankees being cursed, because they didn't properly reward employees after their last World Series win.

I haven't heard if the Indians (with the second-longest championship drought -- 40 years shorter than the longest) are cursed. I have heard that the Indians have one of the deepest rotations in baseball and could win it all in 2006.

Whitesox029
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
People who talk about curses in relation to the White Sox demonstrate that they simply don't know much about the White Sox. They believe that because the Red Sox and Cubs celebrate the notion of curses, that curses are a part of the game for teams that have long periods without a championship. This thing for curses must be fairly recent. I don't recall anyone talking about a curse on the Phillies before they won their only championship in 1980. I think that team went 93 years without a championship. But I have heard talk now of the Yankees being cursed, because they didn't properly reward employees after their last World Series win.

I haven't heard if the Indians (with the second-longest championship drought -- 40 years shorter than the longest) are cursed. I have heard that the Indians have one of the deepest rotations in baseball and could win it all in 2006.
You're exactly right. I believe it was Ozzie who said "We di'nt have no curse...just a lot of horse**** teams"

Nellie_Fox
01-02-2006, 02:13 AM
I have heard talk now of the Yankees being cursed, because they didn't properly reward employees after their last World Series win.That's a curse I can hope is true!

ode to veeck
01-02-2006, 11:03 AM
"we don't need no stinkin' curses!"

DenverSock
01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Some of the things that he discussed has been talked about here, such as the Sox did not make the SI cover's story.

This is part of a whole article from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pennermain31dec31,0,2997415.story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pennermain31dec31,0,2997415.story)

"And in a stunning triumph that reversed a curse of more than 80 years, the Sox actually won the World Series.

So who hit the rewind button instead of play when 2004 gave way to 2005?

Was 2004 so wonderful a sports year, so undeniably and indelibly memorable, that, in a secret-ballot vote, it was decided to just replay it in 2005?

(Or was everybody so bored that no one noticed that the highlight loop on "SportsCenter" was simply one long rerun?) In truth, there were some tweaks.

For one, the Series-winning Sox were White, not Red, this time around. How could you tell? Oh, there were a few minor things. First, the East Coast media didn't drop into the fetal position at the sight of the White Sox winning it all, even though Chicago's championship drought (dating to 1917) was longer than Boston's (1918) and was arguably more implausible (Scott Podsednik? Geoff Blum?).

Also, the White Sox's amazing ride to the championship 11 victories in a dozen postseason games by a team overshadowed in its own hometown by the Cubs didn't even warrant Sports Illustrated's cover. No, that cover was devoted to previewing an event that happens every year and sometimes twice a year a game between the Indianapolis Colts and New England Patriots. (Worth noting: New England is on the East Coast. The White Sox are not.)"

Nice Post fan of Bill.

:D::D:

FanofBill
01-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Nice Post fan of Bill.

:D::D:

Thanks. I don't post a lot but I try to contribute from time to time.
By the way, here is a good article from a converted Cubs fan.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/12/the_windy_citys.php (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/12/the_windy_citys.php)

"
When the game began, the stadium was truly brought to life. We stood on our feet in the top of the first inning, as Jose Contreras blew away the Astros' biggest threat, Lance Berkman. Then again in the bottom half of the inning, when Jermaine Dye's solo home run ignited the 41,206 fans. Much of the game is now a blur, lost in the simple memories of sitting in the seats. This team had sucked me in.
I can definitively say that for the rest of my life, no memory will top the eighth inning of that Game One. Bobby Jenks, who had become my favorite White Sox player, was brought in with two outs. Wily Taveras was on third, Chris Burke was at first, and would soon move to second. At the plate was Jeff Bagwell, one of the 1990s greatest players. Every White Sox fan, and hopefully every Chicagoan, was on their feet. And for five pitches, Jenks challenged Bagwell with triple-digit heat. On the fifth pitch, he won.
Ultimately, the same fate would be handed to Adam Everett in the ninth inning to win the game. And just four days later, the White Sox won the World Series in the way their season started: a 1-0 win. The conversation I had with my father -- a lifelong White Sox fan -- on the phone, seconds after the game ended, is my baseball memory of 2005. The man who taught me the game of baseball, who I had always thought had seen everything the game had to offer, was floored. And so was I. I fell in love with that team. "