Vazquez

Fredsox
12-31-2005, 10:48 AM
In order of preference to be traded:

Contreras
McCarthy
Vasquez
Garcia

Really hate to see Freddy be a part of any trade. Although Vasquez was not a part of the WS staff, he is locked up for a couple of more years. McCarthy is great potential and a guy who has performed well overall, but he has not the track record. Contreras obviously because of his contract situation would be my first choice. I'm also leery about his long-term success capability as he was only successfull for half the year (but boy was he ever successful....).

SOXBOY
12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
I would think it would be either Contreras or Vazquez.Garica or BMac i think is a big mistake.

HotelWhiteSox
12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
I know it wouldn't be this order, but my preference:

- Vazquez (I just don't like him)
- Garcia (I love him, but it starts to get too particular when he has to be on the road to be successful, and you have to set up your rotation so he gets more days games. Plus annoying how he can't get up against weak opponents)
- Contreras (may make most sense salarywise and when matching talent in the trade, I think he's the ace of many ML staffs)
- McCarthy (young, potential, and salary would put him at the bottom for me)

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 11:10 AM
I voted for Contreras,only because he has to prove the second half
wasn't just a fluke.I'm also not sure of his age,either.34??36??
37?? 40?? Just how old is this guy??

MadetoOrta
12-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Gotta keep McCarthy because his upside and he's cheap. The decision was difficult between Jose and Vazquez, but I too keep Vazquez because he's locked up for 2/3 years. Should Jose have another good season, you're talking $13-15 million for an old pitcher. Here, we're getting real value. In fact, a superstar in return.

Chitown Hitmen
12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I voted Vazquez, how ever I doubt you are going to see him go this off-season. Hey, I got a question guy's. Has there ever been a guy picked up by free-agency, and also let go or traded that same off-season? Like the Met's get Sammy Sosa in the 05'-06' off-season, and they trade him that same off-season.

dickallen15
12-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Contreras has got to be older than his reported age, just look at his face. That said, the guy is a physical specimen. He hasn't lost anything off his fastball, and if Roger Clemens can pitch effectively when he's 43, there is no reason to think Contreras couldn't pitch well 3 or 4 more seasons.

peeonwrigley
12-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Contreras has got to be older than his reported age, just look at his face. That said, the guy is a physical specimen. He hasn't lost anything off his fastball, and if Roger Clemens can pitch effectively when he's 43, there is no reason to think Contreras couldn't pitch well 3 or 4 more seasons.

Agreed. If the Sox are moving anyone I would love for it to be Vazquez.

TheVulture
12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
How about none of the above?

WSox597
12-31-2005, 01:56 PM
If they had to move someone, Vazquez first, followed by Garcia. Garcia scares me out there sometimes. You never know which Garcia is going to the mound. I think he is a free agent pretty soon, too.

I'd keep Contreras and McCarthy for the reasons stated by others.

I'm not at all unhappy with our shortstop, though.

beckett21
12-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't want to see any of them go, but the only logical answer to the question in my opinion from a White Sox point of view is Contreras.

He is the only one not signed through 2007, and his signing demands appear exorbitant at this point in time. The question is, would Baltimore take him or would they insist upon McCarthy?

When Garland signed, he left Jose as the odd man out. If anyone goes, unfortunately it looks like it would be him.

getonbckthr
12-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Contreras cause he is the oldest. Because of age, contract status and contract demands I feel its a no-brainer.

getonbckthr
12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I voted Vazquez, how ever I doubt you are going to see him go this off-season. Hey, I got a question guy's. Has there ever been a guy picked up by free-agency, and also let go or traded that same off-season? Like the Met's get Sammy Sosa in the 05'-06' off-season, and they trade him that same off-season.
No, when you sign someone he must remain on your roster til I believe May.

nitetrain8601
12-31-2005, 05:10 PM
McCarthy
Buehrle

Vazquez
Garcia
Count

dickallen15
12-31-2005, 06:04 PM
No, when you sign someone he must remain on your roster til I believe May.
They traded for him. They could trade him away whenever they want.

Lip Man 1
12-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Can someone please post the link where 'Rogers said the Sox were getting Tejada next week.'

Thank you.

Lip

DaleJRFan
12-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Can someone please post the link where 'Rogers said the Sox were getting Tejada next week.'

Thank you.

Lip

Even if Phil Rogers did say/publish such a claim, didn't Fenway post a similar quote from a NY writer? According to that post, he's "almost 100% surely" going to Boston in some ridiculous 4 team deal with Boston/TB/Mets and Orioles.

Johnny Mostil
12-31-2005, 09:37 PM

Thank you.

Lip

It appears he said this on WSCR, not in print (see http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64501, toward end).

ATXBMX
01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051231tejada,1,2496345.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Johnny Mostil
01-01-2006, 08:54 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051231tejada,1,2496345.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Ah, I'd missed this. Thanks. Off-topic, but here's something I'd forgotten about:

Baltimore has had eight consecutive losing seasons, including 4-32 and 25-48 dashes to the finish line in 2002 and 2005.

That 4-32 finish, according to baseballreference.com, was the worst in history, much less the worst by a team that was at .500 or above when it began its finishing, um, kick . . .

getonbckthr
01-01-2006, 12:38 PM
They traded for him. They could trade him away whenever they want.
The question was if you get a free agent in the offseason can you trade him that same offseason, that was the question I was answering. I know we got Vasquez in a trade.

Flight #24
01-01-2006, 09:54 PM
McCarthy ought to be last on the list for any team not named the "Yankees". In order, of Sox preference, it would have to be Contreras-Vazquez-Garcia, but that's likely not the order of preference for any other team.

What could make a ton of sense would be to send Vazquez+Uribe+prospects, giving the O's 3 years of a market rate pitcher. The key for the Sox would be to retain the $$$ from the Yankees/DBacks, which would enable them to give Jose his $11-12M and only pay $9.

But this is extremely unlikely to happen. In fact, the only way I see it even remotely possible is if ticket sales are so strong that they're looking at potential sellouts for most of the year.

Tragg
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
What could make a ton of sense would be to send Vazquez+Uribe+prospects, giving the O's 3 years of a market rate pitcher.
I like it except for the "and prospects" part; it seems to me that V and U comprise a pretty solid price themselves.
I'm sure most teams would prefer McCarthy; then don't do the deal if they won't compromise - it's not like we have a SS problem.

Flight #24
01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I like it except for the "and prospects" part; it seems to me that V and U comprise a pretty solid price themselves.
I'm sure most teams would prefer McCarthy; then don't do the deal if they won't compromise - it's not like we have a SS problem.

Prospects meaning some of our A-ball pitchers, maybe even a guy like Broadway. Remember, the O's supposedly turned down Prior+Rich Hill, so Vazquez+Uribe would probably require something more with some solid long-term potential.

The Deacon
01-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Trade prospects. Trade them all! Who was the last good one we traded away??
I'm confident KW wont trade the ones that will actually pan out like Anderson and McCarthy

KyWhiSoxFan
01-02-2006, 09:49 PM
If Phil Rogers was right ... This trade was supposed to have taken place by December 31. So, obviously, he wasn't right.

SOecks
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't want Tejada anyway, but isn't the reason the O's turned down the Cubs offer was because Bedard was a requirement? Baltimore wouldn't part with him so no deal.

jehosaphat
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I The question is, would Baltimore take him or would they insist upon McCarthy?

I love BMac, but I'd be shocked if Balt insisted on him in a trade for Tejada. Talk about a unproven commodity - BMac has had a few good games, Tejada is a perenial MVP candidate.

That said, I'd just as soon see them trade Vasquez. I'm sentimental for the pitching staff that won in 2005.