PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie versus Kenny

100 Year Itch
12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
While much love has been extended toward KW for the World Championship, I would argue that Guillen's "vision" is the aparatus that defines this team.

Ozzie demanded slap hitters, good defense and aggressiveness on the basepaths to back-up quality pitching. A brilliant move in the post-steroid era of baseball.

Much props goes to Williams for getting it done.. but I think Guillen is the visionary of the team.

Thoughts?

HomeFish
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
Could it be that they work together and deserve to share credit?

Brian26
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
While much love has been extended toward KW for the World Championship, I would argue that Guillen's "vision" is the aparatus that defines this team.

Ozzie demanded slap hitters, good defense and aggressiveness on the basepaths to back-up quality pitching. A brilliant move in the post-steroid era of baseball.

Much props goes to Williams for getting it done.. but I think Guillen is the visionary of the team.

Thoughts?

I can't disagree. You hit the nail on the head.

SOXintheBURGH
12-31-2005, 01:38 AM
:ozzie
"Give me this."

:KW
"K."

StockdaleForVeep
12-31-2005, 02:55 AM

Thoughts?

He simply adopted what he saw that worked in florida for his first ring, speed infront, power in middle with amazing starting pitching.

StockdaleForVeep
12-31-2005, 02:56 AM
"Give me this."

"K."

Quite possibly the shortest ozzie quote ever

Nellie_Fox
12-31-2005, 03:03 AM
He simply adopted what he saw that worked in florida for his first ring, speed infront, power in middle with amazing starting pitching.There's a formula no one ever thought of before.

Soxfanspcu11
12-31-2005, 03:12 AM
It's really hard to say who deserves more credit. It seems as if these two feed off of each other. Kenny put the team together, but Ozzie made it go. It's as if Kenny is the architect, while Ozzie is the construction crew.

If Ozzie was not the manager, it's hard to say if Kenny's plan would actually work on the field.

If Kenny was not the GM, it's hard to say if a team could be assembled that could/would play Ozzie's style.

They both need each other and they go together perfectly. It is really quite amazing that they have only been working together for about 2 years and yet they have accomplished more in this short amount of time then most GM's and managers have EVER accomplished, and the future looks more bright every day.

Me and my friends made a sign that said, "Guillen/Williams in '08" but we forgot to bring it into the stadium for the game we made it for. And it's probably a good thing that we did because I completely forgot that Ozzie could never be president since he was not born in America.!:redface:

CaptainBallz
12-31-2005, 05:06 AM
It would be a ridiculous to put one too high above the other right now. Ozzie defines what he needs, KW gets it. Sealing the deal has, obviously, been KW's strongpoint. A hack GM loses Konerko/Garland, won't make big moves because of financial pressure above (*cough* Furcal *cough*), won't take the risks necessary to make a 'team' concept evolve. I think it's right to say that the concept is Ozzie's, but there's absolutely nothing that should be taken away from KW...

bigfoot
12-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Perhaps it's time for a Roland Hemond appreciation thread, too!? Anybody else think that he may have had a bit to do with the creation of this team?

The Racehorse
12-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Ozzie versus Kenny? ... what is this, Hit Parader magazine? :?:

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Ozzie versus Kenny? ... what is this, Hit Parader magazine? :?:
Struck me more as Tiger Beat or 16 magazine.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Chitown Hitmen
12-31-2005, 09:27 AM
I would give it to Keny, with-out him, we wouldn't have any of our new guys to play good with. But then Ozzie tell's him who to try and get and he like directs how they play, in this situation, small ball.

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 10:01 AM
There's a formula no one ever thought of before.

Obviously Ron Schueler, Jerry Manuel, Gene Lamont, and Terry Bevington never did.

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Perhaps it's time for a Roland Hemond appreciation thread, too!? Anybody else think that he may have had a bit to do with the creation of this team?

From what I understand, Roland travels around the farm system evaluating talent. At least that was the impression I got at the WCSF luncheon he attended in July from the dinner conversation he was having with others at the table while he was sitting next to me.

Palehose13
12-31-2005, 12:40 PM
"I make the ****ing line up!"

"And I deliver the roundhouse kicks that gets you the ****ing line up"

Bobbo35
12-31-2005, 03:15 PM
It's really hard to say who deserves more credit. It seems as if these two feed off of each other. Kenny put the team together, but Ozzie made it go. It's as if Kenny is the architect, while Ozzie is the construction crew.

If Ozzie was not the manager, it's hard to say if Kenny's plan would actually work on the field.

If Kenny was not the GM, it's hard to say if a team could be assembled that could/would play Ozzie's style.

They both need each other and they go together perfectly. It is really quite amazing that they have only been working together for about 2 years and yet they have accomplished more in this short amount of time then most GM's and managers have EVER accomplished, and the future looks more bright every day.

Me and my friends made a sign that said, "Guillen/Williams in '08" but we forgot to bring it into the stadium for the game we made it for. And it's probably a good thing that we did because I completely forgot that Ozzie could never be president since he was not born in America.!:redface:
That is why it is a team concept. This organization is so much different from others in the league because I think that they are on the same level. Example, on the other side of town Hendry and Dusty choke on your toothpick Baker do not have that chemistry and from that you have miscommunication.

It is awesome how this White Sox organization has come to be, gives me chills!!!

fquaye149
12-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes, it was Ozzie's idea to have a solid defensive lineup and great pitching. What a visionary!

KW gave him that lineup with a 65 million dollar payroll and bold, devastating offseason moves (Carlos Lee for, essentially, Pods, Viz, AJ, Iguchi, and El Duque anyone?)

Repeat: it does not take a genius to come up with Ozzie's vision for a team. It's a smart, uncommon decision, yes, but it's pretty commonly accepted that pitching wins games (although it took the White Sox to convince JOURNALISTS of that). However, to assemble great pitching like Kenny did, and has done again, exceeds even my wildest dreams.

Give Ozzie credit for helping to recognize what was wrong with the teams of old, but KW is responsible for our WS title. Period.

TheKittle
12-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Only one WSI would a question like this be asked. Who cares!!!! Enjoy the White Sox Championship!!!!!

Fake Chet Lemon
01-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Ozzie deserves a little more credit for his vision that he is getting here. The 3-run HR has been the American League model for most teams. So big props to Ozzie for setting Kenny straight, but Kenny did the heavy lifting. A lot of people come up with great ideas, but most of the ideas die. The secret is in the execution, therefore Kenny gets the lions share of the credit.