PDA

View Full Version : What if this trade never happend

gr8mexico
12-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Just looking thru the internet I found this. I hope you guys enjoy I know I did.:bandance:
Now, with one hour to go before the trading deadline, in his narrow office above home plate at Yankee Stadium, where the walls are lined with the color-coded names of every big-league player, Cashman finds himself on the verge of moving erratic pitcher Jose Contreras to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for right-hander Esteban Loaiza.

Just before hustling downstairs to the clubhouse to talk to Contreras—whose contract gives him the right to block the deal—Cashman makes another call on his BlackBerry. It’s to one of his best friends in baseball, San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers. “What’s up, dude?” Cashman asks, constantly panning for useful information. “I’m talking to the White Sox,” Towers says, “about getting Loaiza and spinning him off to Boston to get us Derek Lowe.”

Uh-oh. Losing out on Loaiza would be disappointing, but not fatal. Losing him to the Red Sox, on the other hand—in Steinbrenner’s world, that’s a hanging offense. Cashman hangs up, speed-dials Kenny Williams. The White Sox general manager says Contreras remains his first choice. Hmmm.

Contreras signs off on the trade, and with one minute to go before the deadline, Anthony Flynn, a Yankees aide, faxes in the official documents. “Conversation, man, that’s key,” Cashman says. “Just stay communicating; you might get lucky. It’s that old principle: One man’s **** is another man’s ice cream.” http://www.nymag.com/nymetro/news/sports/features/9611/index.html

RallyBowl
12-30-2005, 07:31 PM
So, when's Cashman expecting his ice cream? Isn't it in Oakland now?

Further proof that KENNY WILLIAMS IS THE ****ING MAN!

Fredsox
12-30-2005, 08:02 PM
What a great story. KW played Cashman like a flute and the beauty of it is the Yankee fans don't conceive of it for a second.

VivaOzzie
12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Best friend or not, I don't think as a GM you go telling your plans to another GM. It's just plain stupid. Unless there was some kind of alterior motive, reverse psychology thing. I don't buy the part about Towers calling Cashman...

SouthSide_HitMen
12-30-2005, 08:36 PM
After the Yankees were upset by the Florida Marlins in the 2003 World Series, Steinbrenner froze out Cashman, ignoring the GM’s opinion that the team needed to get younger and focus on strengthening its pitching staff. The Marlins had a speedy young leadoff man, Juan Pierre, who made the Yankees’ offense look ponderous. So Steinbrenner went about getting his own fast leadoff hitter, signing free agent Kenny Lofton—even though, at 37, Lofton was slowing and the Yankees had nowhere to play him in the outfield. Cashman was kept in the dark. In fact, Towers, the Padres general manager, knew more about the Yankees’ interest in Lofton than Cashman did. “I asked him, ‘Cash, are you guys on Lofton?’ He said, ‘****, I don’t know. I guess. I haven’t heard,’ ” Towers says. “That makes it tough as a GM—not knowing who your team is after.”

Can't imagine Jerry doing that to Kenny Williams. There isn't enough $ in the world to work for Steinbrenner

infohawk
12-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder who the Sox would have acquired from the Padres? Brian Giles??? After all, he was in the last year of his contract and the Padres were not assured of keeping him. One of the team's needs in 2004 was a corner outfielder with a power bat to replace the injured Ordonez. Frank was out, too. KW had wanted Giles for some time.

gr8mexico
12-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder who the Sox would have acquired from the Padres? Brian Giles??? After all, he was in the last year of his contract and the Padres were not assured of keeping him. One of the team's needs in 2004 was a corner outfielder with a power bat to replace the injured Ordonez. Frank was out, too. KW had wanted Giles for some time. I hope someone has the chance to ask KW @ SoxFest. If I have a chance @ soxfest I'm going to ask him

SouthSide_HitMen
12-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Is Krause a Reinsdorf plant?

Then there are the stray characters Steinbrenner collects as advisers, from Jerry Krause, the former Chicago Bulls general manager

Brian26
12-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I hope someone has the chance to ask KW @ SoxFest. If I have a chance @ soxfest I'm going to ask him

If the player is still active in the league, I highly doubt KW will say who it was. Tampering is a delicate issue.

Brian26
12-30-2005, 10:04 PM
So, when's Cashman expecting his ice cream? Isn't it in Oakland now?

Further proof that KENNY WILLIAMS IS THE ****ING MAN!

I think Kenny should send some thanks to Towers too.

Fenway
12-30-2005, 10:16 PM
and Lowe was stuck on the Red Sox instead of going to San Diego and wound up pitching his heart out in the playoffs.

So KW helped the Red Sox win the 2004 Series :smile:

soxinem1
12-30-2005, 11:01 PM
What a great story. KW played Cashman like a flute and the beauty of it is the Yankee fans don't conceive of it for a second.

Not only that, but they gave us money too so that Contreras could help pitch us to the WSC!!!

Thanks, George!!

RKMeibalane
12-30-2005, 11:03 PM
After the Yankees were upset by the Florida Marlins in the 2003 World Series, Steinbrenner froze out Cashman, ignoring the GM’s opinion that the team needed to get younger and focus on strengthening its pitching staff. The Marlins had a speedy young leadoff man, Juan Pierre, who made the Yankees’ offense look ponderous. So Steinbrenner went about getting his own fast leadoff hitter, signing free agent Kenny Lofton—even though, at 37, Lofton was slowing and the Yankees had nowhere to play him in the outfield. Cashman was kept in the dark. In fact, Towers, the Padres general manager, knew more about the Yankees’ interest in Lofton than Cashman did. “I asked him, ‘Cash, are you guys on Lofton?’ He said, ‘****, I don’t know. I guess. I haven’t heard,’ ” Towers says. “That makes it tough as a GM—not knowing who your team is after.”

Can't imagine Jerry doing that to Kenny Williams. There isn't enough $ in the world to work for Steinbrenner

The Yankees are finished. They will remain a competitive team for several more seasons, but eventually they will find themselves back at the bottom of the AL East, as they were in 1990 and '91. Steinbrenner has money, and he's an excellent motivator of his employees and players, but he's a poor judge of talent. And don't get me started on his ego. When an owner completely shuts out his GM- the man who's supposed to pull the trigger on trades and free-agent signings- that's never a good sign. The more Steinbrenner meddles in Cashman's affairs, the worse things will get in New York.

SOXSINCE'70
12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
So KW helped the Red Sox win the 2004 Series :smile:
A happier ending: after helping the Blow Sawx win in '04,Williams tells
Gagglio to take a hike,trades Carlos Lee For Scott Podsednik and the
now departed Luis Vizcaino,signs FA's Jermaine Dye ( he took less
money to come here because he believed the Sox were a playoff team),
so called "clubhouse cancer" AJ Pierzynski,RP Dustin Hermanson,
SP Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, 2b Tadahito Iguchi,acquires
Geoff Blum in a trade at the deadline,and helps the WHITE SOX
win the '05 WS.:cool: :cool:

RetireWoodys28
12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Does anyone honestly believe this story? Think about it: If Towers really wanted to move on a deal that involved sending Loiza to Boston, why would he confide in the GM of Boston's biggest divisional rival? I don't care how close the two are, I don't see how this part of the story makes any sense whatsoever. I really want to believe this article because it makes KW look even more brilliant, but a GM is generally going to know which other GMs are talking to what other teams about which players, don't you think?

Chitown Hitmen
12-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Estaban didn't do well with the Yankees I don't think when we shiiped him off to them. Jose sucked with us I'm not sure I think he did. But this yea? Yankees don't got Esteban, Nat's do, and we keep Jose, and has his best year (in only 3 seasons)