PDA

View Full Version : Olivo signs with the Fish

rmusacch
12-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Marlins signed catcher Miguel Olivo, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
Olivo, who is joining his fourth team in a year and a half, will compete with Josh Willingham for the starting job behind the plate. He hasn't played well in the Dominican Republic, but he did hit .304/.341/.487 in 116 AB after joining the Padres last season. It's improved defense that the Marlins will want to see in spring training. Olivo has all of the tools, but neither the Mariners nor the Padres were impressed at all by his glovework.

Chitown Hitmen
12-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Don't hate me, but I think this kid is a real bad player. Besides defense though, he can't hit too good. He won't last longer than 10 years at this rate of his playing.

SoxSpeed22
12-30-2005, 06:50 PM
He may be an AAAA player, which should work just fine on the Marlins this year. Good luck Miguel.:gulp:

delben91
12-30-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing that's a rotoworld comment in the first post. But I agree with the sentiment, Olivo does seem to have all the tools, and deserves a chance to try to put it all together. He's definitely in a completely pressure free situation down with the Marlins, and I think Girardi will be an excellent tutor for a young catcher. If he's ever going to click, that's the scenario I can picture it happening in.

MUsoxfan
12-30-2005, 06:51 PM
The minute he starts hitting well, the Marlins will probably dump him

y2j2785
12-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I never really was a big fan of olivo...but good luck with the Fish :redneck

WinOrDyeTrying
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Is it too late to trade him back for Garcia?

Chitown Hitmen
12-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Is it too late to trade him back for Garcia?

Probably, and I wouldn't bet on they will do it. Horrible trade anyways lol.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, I can think of at least one ex-WSIer who will now have to split time between following the Mariners and Marlins to discuss what an idiot KW is for trading Olivo and Jeremy Reed.

That's Jeremy. Not Jimmy.

:wink:

The Racehorse
12-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I kinda liked the kid and his throwing arm... hated his adventures on the basepaths.

MO, good luck in South Beach, FLA/Las Vegas/Portland! :gulp:

Daver
12-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, I can think of at least one ex-WSIer who will now have to split time between following the Mariners and Marlins to discuss what an idiot KW is for trading Olivo and Jeremy Reed.

That's Jeremy. Not Jimmy.

:wink:

As of 5:00 PM CST Jimmy Reed was still dead.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
As of 5:00 PM CST Jimmy Reed was still dead.

What do Jimmy Reed and Jeremy Reed have in common?

Right, neither can hit the curve.

:redneck

RKMeibalane
12-30-2005, 11:53 PM

As we speak, Jeremy is probably compilling statistics to prove why Miguel Olivo is a superior hitter to Miguel Cabrerra. He's probably also pushing for the Marlins to trade Cabrerra to Seattle in exchange for Jeremy Reed.

goofymsfan
12-31-2005, 02:57 AM
I kinda liked the kid and his throwing arm... hated his adventures on the basepaths.

MO, good luck in South Beach, FLA/Las Vegas/Portland! :gulp:

You forgot Albequerque:wink:

StockdaleForVeep
12-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Don't hate me, but I think this kid is a real bad player. Besides defense though, he can't hit too good. He won't last longer than 10 years at this rate of his playing.

Thanx for freddy, check is in the mail

Soxfanspcu11
12-31-2005, 03:46 AM
You forgot Albequerque:wink:

"You know me, occasionally I'll be quirky. I'll be quirky? Albuquerque!"

That being said, Olivo will always hold a special place in my heart, (albeit a VERY small piece) for hitting his grand slam against the Cubs in '03 at the Urinal. I'll never forget being at work on that hot summer day and going crazy with the one other Sox fan that worked with me, while being surrounded by my dejected Cub fan co-workers. It was a thing of beauty!:smile:

StockdaleForVeep
12-31-2005, 04:36 AM

That being said, Olivo will always hold a special place in my heart, (albeit a VERY small piece) for hitting his grand slam against the Cubs in '03 at the Urinal. I'll never forget being at work on that hot summer day and going crazy with the one other Sox fan that worked with me, while being surrounded by my dejected Cub fan co-workers. It was a thing of beauty!:smile:

I used to have parts of my heart reserved for Manos and lee for their work durin the cubs\sox series always, but then somethin happened. Uribes dive in the stands and overall great defense despite my disgust for his swing and pods walk off homer brought our team a world series. I think that would deject your co workers even more

soxtalker
12-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Marlins signed catcher Miguel Olivo, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
Olivo, who is joining his fourth team in a year and a half, will compete with Josh Willingham for the starting job behind the plate. He hasn't played well in the Dominican Republic, but he did hit .304/.341/.487 in 116 AB after joining the Padres last season. It's improved defense that the Marlins will want to see in spring training. Olivo has all of the tools, but neither the Mariners nor the Padres were impressed at all by his glovework.

I still remember how tearful Olivo was right after being told that he'd been traded from the Sox. He seemed to have lots of promise, but, after the trade, it came out that the Sox pitchers just didn't feel comfortable with him behind the plate. Seems like the problems have only increased. Such a shame.

goofymsfan
12-31-2005, 09:12 AM

No problem being quirky. It's one of those cities I can't seem to ever spell correctly.

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Olivo will always hold a special place in my heart, (albeit a VERY small piece) for hitting his grand slam against the Cubs in '03 at the Urinal.It was a thing of beauty!:smile:
That was off Abe Lincoln (I mean Matt Cement,no I mean
Matt Clement)IIRC.2 years later,it was yet another thing
of beauty to see the RIGHT Sox light up his brillo chinned
kiester for 6 runs in 3+ IP on their way to a 14-2 victory!!:cool:

Chicken Dinner
12-31-2005, 05:36 PM

Add Borchard to that list.