PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Else Noticed This?

MarySwiss
12-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Ya know, if you live outside the Chicago area, wearing Sox--or to a lesser extent, Bears--garb has become almost a kind of "secret handshake" that admits you to a special club.

Incident #1: I mentioned in another thread that last week I was out shopping--wearing one of my World Series Champions T-shirts, of course!--and I spotted a kid in full Sox garb. He was visiting from Chicago for Christmas and we had a nice chat.

Incident #2: Just a couple of days ago, Jim (MrMarySwiss) and I were out to breakfast with another couple who hail from Pittsburgh. They told us they'd met a guy who had on the WS locker room cap. Don (the husband) mentioned that he had a friend who had that same cap, and congratulated the Sox fan on the season. (Which I thought was really nice on his part, considering that during the Bears loss to the Steelers, I referred to the "Terrible Towels" as stupid hankies! Okay, I had had a few beers! But if we meet the Steelers in the Super Bowl, I am not responsible for my conduct!)

Incident #3: Yesterday, Jim and I went out to lunch. Jim had on his Bears sweatshirt. As we were leaving, the manager came up and said, "Go, Bears!" Turns out he was from the South Side and a Sox fan.

I cannot wait until spring training gets here!

delben91
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah, where I live it's Yankees or nothing at all it seems. But I find that whenever I'm walking around with anything bearing the Sox logo, I get comments on it.

Had a guy the other day say, "Ah, champs at last, that has to feel good."

Most of the time that's the sentiment, though I have had a few guys ask if I was just a frontrunner. I quickly set them straight. :cool:

TomBradley72
12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
I was up in the middle of nowhere...Elberta, MI....having breakfast at a diner...wearing a WSox WS Champs hat....woman walks in with a White Sox sweatshirt...we quietly high five and say "Go Sox".....I've been going up there for 20+ years....have never seen another Wsox hat or shirt.

ChiSoxLifer
12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
I was at the Bulls/Lakers game a few weeks back. There was a lot more White Sox hats than that northside team. Plenty of high fives, thumbs up, and people pointing at White Sox logos and raising the #1 finger.

maurice
12-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Ya know, if you live outside the Chicago area, wearing Sox--or to a lesser extent, Bears--garb has become almost a kind of "secret handshake" that admits you to a special club.

This has always been true, but the number of Sox hats used to be much, much lower. For example, I was on St. Thomas in the U.S.V.I. for about 30 seconds when a total stranger came up to me and said "Nice hat. Go Sox!"

It's also fun to be in another city when the Sox are in town. Lots of Sox fans like to travel with the team . . . it just doesn't receive any media coverage.
:mad:

SouthSideHitman
12-30-2005, 06:53 PM
I was in Madison Wisconsin in November and when I went out to Potbelly's, I stepped up to the counter in my White Sox hat and the guy there said, "Hey, a White Sox fan! Congratulations for the new World Champions!" and he had the whole staff give me a little ovation, it was so sweet.

Chitown Hitmen
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Well, I was in Chicago, at a restraunt, and these two waiters yelled "Go Konerko" because I had his jersey on. It was pretty funny.

MarySwiss
12-30-2005, 06:58 PM
This has always been true, but the number of Sox hats used to be much, much lower. For example, I was on St. Thomas in the U.S.V.I. for about 30 seconds when a total stranger came up to me and said "Nice hat. Go Sox!"

It's also fun to be in another city when the Sox are in town. Lots of Sox fans like to travel with the team . . . it just doesn't receive any media coverage.

Correction, Maurice: It just didn't. Until now. We are witnessing a new era. And it's about damn time!

Edit: Omigod! Reminds me of an old movie, Wild in the Streets, and its hit song, "Nothing Can Change the Shape of Things to Come."

vegyrex
12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I have an uncle who lives in Texas. I called him a couple nights ago and he tells me some guy approached him at the mall and asked about the White Sox jacket he had on. Its a jacket I use to own but I gave it to him cause it didn't fit me anymore.
That guy told my uncle to name his price :o:
He REALLY wanted that jacket. :cool:

But my uncle turned him down. He was afraid I would be hurt if he sold it. I told him next offer he gets SELL, SELL, SELL!! :D:

I figure if he can get $$$ for a 12 year old jacket, what the hell, go for it. :smile:

WinOrDyeTrying
12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm in Detroit. People are too busy mugging you to notice what jersey you are wearing.

MarySwiss
12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I have an uncle who lives in Texas. I called him a couple nights ago and he tells me some guy approached him at the mall and asked about the White Sox jacket he had on. Its a jacket I use to own but I gave it to him cause it didn't fit me anymore.
That guy told my uncle to name his price :o:
He REALLY wanted that jacket. :cool:

But my uncle turned him down. He was afraid I would be hurt if he sold it. I told him next offer he gets SELL, SELL, SELL!! :D:

I figure if he can get $$$ for a 12 year old jacket, what the hell, go for it. :smile:

Depends on whether he's a serious Sox fan. I have a Sox jacket that is at least 20 years old. And I live in Arizona, where you almost never have to wear a jacket. But my Sox jacket is GOLD. And I wouldn't trade it for any price. (Unless it was something ridiculous. I mean, after all, we're not Cub fans!)

soxrme
12-31-2005, 01:30 PM
I picked my daughter up at O'Hare last week. It was so great to see all the Sox hats and sweatshirts being worn by people of all ages and nationalities. There were probably one of two of the other team and that was it. Woodfield stores were selling Sox stuff like crazy.ITS ABOUT TIME:bandance: :bandance:

MarySwiss
12-31-2005, 01:44 PM

I have a tough decision to make soon. I'm seriously considering going to see the Sox play the Cubs in spring training--at HoHoKam. Normally I wouldn't be caught dead there (a) because I don't believe in giving money to the Cubs organization, and I hate everything Cub, and (b) that park is a nightmare to get to, park near, and get out of.

However, I kinda like the thought of showing up in my Konerko WS Champs jersey and locker room hat. I'm betting I won't be the only one in WS garb! :tongue:

Another thing that will be interesting is to see how things are at Tucson Electric Park for the Sox-Cubs game. Usually you see quite a few people there in Cubs gear. I'll bet there will be a lot fewer of them this year! And that'll be nice!:cool:

Fenway
12-31-2005, 02:10 PM
In the past week I have seen a number of people wearing White Sox clothing in the St Pete area.

I have yet to see ANYBODY with a Devil Rays hat ( except the mascot at the mall )