PDA

View Full Version : New article on contraction

ma-gaga
12-28-2001, 10:32 AM
Another article from Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20011227daily.html).

There is a certain 'unfairness' about baseball. Both in revenue (yankees vs royals), and with contraction. It is handcuffing 4 teams from making deals during the offseason. It is killing their (MLB's) public image even worse than I dreamed possible.

Right now I cannot imagine a worse-case off-season. This quasi-limbo sucks. Then again, I'm a bit biased...

:) oh well, here's hoping for a miracle.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2001, 11:35 AM
That's a pretty sad article. I happen to agree with all of the writer's points, too. If there is baseball played in 2002 (a big "if"), MLB has ensured that it will be a bad joke played on the fans in Minnesota and Montreal. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy: destroy whatever fan base is left in these markets by handcuffing the marketing efforts of those teams. If not getting contraction in 2002, Selig and the owners will get their way in 2003 or soon thereafter.

The real joke is letting Loria buy another team, especially Florida. What has this guy proven besides his inability to get anything positive done on behalf of his franchise? Now that he is done ruining what was left of the Expos, Loria is sure to drive the Marlins straight into the ground, too. Maybe that is Selig's real plan?

I'm shocked to learn Huizenga is still collecting stadium revenue from the Marlins. This is the first I've heard this reported. Apparently there still is money to be made on baseball in South Florida--just as long as you don't own the team.