PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Montage from ESPN 1000

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I just listened to it again... to hear Rooney call the last out of the World Series just gives me chills and almost brings me to tears... what a wonderful year we just witnessed!

I don't think I appreciated Rooney enough when he was here. Does anyone have, or can they make, a DVD with Rooney and Farmer instead of the Fox anouncers? That would be great to watch the game and have Rooney and Farmer on...

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2005, 03:46 PM
I've been watching Comcast's re-telecasts of the 2005 playoffs and I agree it's a real shame they don't have Rooney's call. Listening to Tim McCarver is like fingernails on a chalkboard. His whining about the umpires in the ALCS is utterly ridiculous. Thank God I had the TV volume turned down last October... I couldn't have handled the Fox (or ESPN) announcers.

McCarver just goes on and on... as though any of those disputed calls could have saved Scioscia and the rest of his dopes from Anaheim from getting four straight complete game efforts dropped on their head. Yeah Tim, I guess Paul Byrd was supposed to pitch the Angels to the pennant all by himself... if only for the umpires!

:kukoo:

ssirish317
12-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I actually recorded all 4 World Series games with Rooney and Farmer doing the call. The audio is maybe a half a second off the picture, but the only time you can tell is when you hear the snap of a pitch hitting the catchers glove just before it gets there.

SOXSINCE'70
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I've been watching Comcast's re-telecasts of the 2005 playoffs and I agree it's a real shame they don't have Rooney's call. Listening to Tim McCarver is like fingernails on a chalkboard. His whining about the umpires in the ALCS is utterly ridiculous. Thank God I had the TV volume turned down last October... I couldn't have handled the Fox (or ESPN) announcers.

McCarver just goes on and on... as though any of those disputed calls could have saved Scioscia and the rest of his dopes from Anaheim from getting four straight complete game efforts dropped on their head. Yeah Tim, I guess Paul Byrd was supposed to pitch the Angels to the pennant all by himself... if only for the umpires!

And Joe Buck is any better?? My God,did you hear him call Crede's
GW double in game 2 of the ALCS??
To Paraphrase:
"That ball hit to deep left field,it's off the wall (heavy sigh),
the White Sox win (heavier sigh)."He truly sounded dissapointed that
God Forbid,the Sox had won the game.
Jeez,what would have happened if the Sox had played
"Creepy Cardinal Nation"??:D: :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
And Joe Buck is any better?? My God,did you hear him call Crede's
GW double in game 2 of the ALCS??

Yeah, Buck is pretty bad, too. I guess I'm more irritated by McCarver because he is the color guy and he has a large amount of discretion to choose what "color" he describes. Buck pretty much has to stick to describing the play-by-play action. In other words, Buck has fewer opportunities to piss me off.
:wink:

But I agree Buck's call of Crede's GWRBI to end Game 2 is awful. It's not like A.J. Pierzynski ran across homeplate when Josh the Busher tossed away the ball. Ozuna still had to steal second, and Escobar still had to serve up that cookie to Crede -- who dutifully smashed it against the outfield wall -- and all of this with 2 out.

Buck's call of that play is a joke.

Blob
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
I watched game 2 of the World Series, on TV, for the first time yesterday. After Pods GW homer, the best Tim could say is "How do these things happen??" Like he was upset the Sox won.

And I love his quote about Lidge just before Pods hit the homer, "No, he doesn't have a bad taste still in his mouth after Pujols hit the homer the other night." His quote after the homer, "The taste is there now!"

Your awesome, buddy...*****

FarWestChicago
12-30-2005, 06:44 PM

:kukoo:McCarver was so bad I think he made Berman look good. :o:

y2j2785
12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
McCarver was so bad I think he made Berman look good. :o:

I cant stand the Fox announcers or the ESPN announcers unless its a day game and they got Steve Stone announcing.

Corlose 15
12-30-2005, 07:52 PM

Hey now, lets not get crazy. McCarver sucks but in no way is he worse than that sack of goo. I mean I really enjoyed listening to a Red Sox fan describe the Sox pounding their favorite team.

If you guys are looking for more crappy calls, how about when El Duque strikes out Damon in Boston, or when Renteria grounds out to end the series? :puking:

Berman sucks.:angry:

Corlose 15
12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
The only people I like at ESPN are their secondary announcers like Sciambi, Thorne, etc. I think Jon Miller is outstanding.

DaleJRFan
12-30-2005, 07:56 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/05/47Psn9Y3.jpg

"OH NO!!!! Everybody is going to be safe..."

Reminds me of....

:santo

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOO!!"

Corlose 15
12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/05/47Psn9Y3.jpg

"OH NO!!!! Everybody is going to be safe..."

Reminds me of....

:santo

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOO!!"

Exactly, no need to be objective when you work for ESPN.:rolleyes:

Since this is about Rooney though I think I should mention that "Hocus Pocus says Hernandez!!" was an outstanding call by Rooney.

santo=dorf
12-30-2005, 08:13 PM

No way.

After the Sox SWEPTED the defending champions, the best Berman could come up with was "The Red Sox's dream to repeat is over!"
:angry:

FarWestChicago
12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
No way.

After the Sox SWEPTED the defending champions, the best Berman could come up with was "The Red Sox's dream to repeat is over!"
:angry:Yes, but what you and the other McCarver apologists are missing is Berman is a Red Sox fan. You have to expect some bias. What the hell was your boy McCarver's excuse? :?:

Brian26
12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
No way.

:angry:

After re-watching some of the games, you have to give Berman props for recognizing and pointing out how great the Sox crowd was and also talking about the history of the team. He even went out of his way to recognize Ken Harrelson and said he wished he could be there on the broadcast. That was a pretty classy move. I know he did the same for Remy and the Red Sox announcers, but it seemed like a humble attempt on his part to say the hometown announcers really should be there in the postseason.

RadioheadRocks
12-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Since this is about Rooney though I think I should mention that "Hocus Pocus says Hernandez!!" was an outstanding call by Rooney.

You bet! Was so glad they included it in the highlight clip montage on the SOX PRIDE DVD... I still get chills down my spine when I hear that call!

santo=dorf
12-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes, but what you and the other McCarver apologists are missing is Berman is a Red Sox fan. You have to expect some bias. What the hell was your boy McCarver's excuse? :?:

Hey he's not my boy.

I thought he was getting paid to be the comical senile old man in the booth.

McCarver wins the "tallest midget" contest between he and Berman, but it's not by much. I guess if McCarver was the play-by-play guy instead of the color man, he would have more opportunities to make ridiculous or completely bias comments.

FarWestChicago
12-30-2005, 09:45 PM
I thought he was getting paid to be the comical senile old man in the booth.OK, then I guess he was doing an OK job if you toss in biased. :redneck

TornLabrum
12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey now, lets not get crazy. McCarver sucks but in no way is he worse than that sack of goo. I mean I really enjoyed listening to a Red Sox fan describe the Sox pounding their favorite team.

If you guys are looking for more crappy calls, how about when El Duque strikes out Damon in Boston, or when Renteria grounds out to end the series? :puking:

Actually I kind of enjoyed hearing all three games as Berman saw his team's chances dwindle to nothing. Biased call? You bet, and it's so much fun when the person with the bias is on the losing end.

AWhiteSoxWinner
12-31-2005, 09:22 AM
I thought John Rooney called great games during the entire playoffs. He brought an excitement that no one else could. I have always preferred the radio team to the tv team and for pure entertainment value, I feel losing Rooney is like losing a favorite player on the team. I will never forget the Podsednik walk off call in game two of the World Series while my dad and I were watching the game on tv or the last inning of game four as well. I would suggest picking up the Sox Pride DVD because in the bonus section there is the Podsednik call, the "the White Sox have won the pennant...they won the pennant" call, the game one Jenks call striking out Bagwell and an edited bottom on the ninth inning call of all three outs in game four. I am definetly going to miss his calls next season. I think he is the best in the game.:whiner:

roylestillman
12-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Had to join to post my favorite Buck memory - Congratulating all the Stockyard workers on the Southside (previously defined by Fox as south of Madison "Avenue") on the Sox winning. Rooney will be missed.

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Had to join to post my favorite Buck memory - Congratulating all the Stockyard workers on the Southside (previously defined by Fox as south of Madison "Avenue") on the Sox winning. Rooney will be missed.

I'm sure there are still people alive who worked at the stockyards. Buck is probably so familiar with the South Side, he thinks the yards are still there.

Chitown Hitmen
12-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Yea, but you jus have to think it's kind of funny when Chris Berman goes like "WHOOP" OR HOW EVER HE DOES IT.

soxinem1
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
My favorite Buck line was his:

'Hi, I'm Joe, and this is Tim' line. Like he was stripping for the audience! And his Southside tribute including Madison Avenue made him look like a cub fan.

Radio announcers are usually better, because after all, they know you may not be WATCHING the game.

My great Aunt who is 87 listened to Rooney and Farmer while watching and actually got a kick out of hearing Konerko's slam and Pods GW HR before the TV had it.

If they had a pro like Jon Miller call the game on TV it would have been much better, at least he's more objective in his broadcast, and Joe Morgan is the perfect color guy, who I believe actually said once on the radio 'I see the White Sox winning it all now' after Game 4 of the ALCS.

I though Rooney was a class act to the end. He kept his enthusiasm through the entire season even after he knew he wasn't coming back. Many a night I was in the garage working on my antiques during the season and felt like I was there watching, I sure hope whoever takes over has some of the same charisma as John.

Maybe next year he'll be calling a White Sox winner again if he does the broadcast for a Sox-Cards Series!

PaleHoseGeorge
12-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I though Rooney was a class act to the end. He kept his enthusiasm through the entire season even after he knew he wasn't coming back. Many a night I was in the garage working on my antiques during the season and felt like I was there watching, I sure hope whoever takes over has some of the same charisma as John.....
Rooney and the garage just go together, don't they? Also Rooney and the backyard deck, Rooney and the vegetable garden, and Rooney and the quick trip to White Hen for a gallon of milk.

I'm going to miss that guy...

FarWestChicago
12-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Rooney and the garage just go together, don't they? Also Rooney and the backyard deck, Rooney and the vegetable garden, and Rooney and the quick trip to White Hen for a gallon of milk.

I'm going to miss that guy...That makes two of us. I've been getting MLB radio for years. Last season I went with the total package. I missed Rooney whenever I watched the video feed. Rooney was just flat out the best. :cool:

soxinem1
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM

Working on 30-40 year old hobby cars and John mixed like beer and brats. Funny I always got more into my work with a good 'double' game as I often referred to them, Sox win, and six or seven chirps by John and Ed on a cub loss. Stuff for the ages!!

THE_HOOTER
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM

My sentiments exactly.

To me, he was the voice of my team----something will be missing next year.:(:

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 11:03 AM
My sentiments exactly.

To me, he was the voice of my team----something will be missing next year.:(:

One thing I'm afraid won't be missing is extra sleep. Fifteen minutes of Farmio is about as effective as a couple of Lunestras.

krispoulin
12-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Like my signature says, I really am going to miss Rooney. Due to work scheduling, I wasn't able to watch most of the second half of the season on TV, but had to listen on the radio. No regrets. Rooney brought me into the park, called a clear and descriptive game in a neo-classic style, and made it even more exciting to be a White Sox fan.

The Cardinals' fans don't know how lucky they are yet.

FedEx227
12-31-2005, 02:07 PM
I think Jon Miller is outstanding.

LOL... has anyone heard Boers and Bernsteins impression of Jon Miller's calls? Hilarious!

Bobbo35
12-31-2005, 03:02 PM

That had to have been the worst broadcast I have ever heard. It was so one sided it was sickening.
When I was watching the rebroadcast of game Two (was at that game) I like when McCarver was talking about how Brad Lidge would never let that happen to him again when Pujols smacked that homerun. Those were the last words as PODS jacked the game winner off of him. It was awesome to hear because he ate his words.

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm sure there are still people alive who worked at the stockyards. Buck is probably so familiar with the South Side, he thinks the yards are still there.

You should ask him where Grandstand and Jimbo's are located.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 03:18 PM
LOL... has anyone heard Boers and Bernsteins impression of Jon Miller's calls? Hilarious!
My personal favorite was Bernstein doing Vin Scully's
imitation of Hawk.I know it was in 2004,but it was funny to me.:D:

duke of dorwood
12-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Losing Rooney gives me the same feeling I got when Lloyd Petit left the Blackhawks. The Hawks were fortunate to find Pat Foley-but it still was never as descriptive as Petit.

Just one word-"Desceminated"

RetireWoodys28
12-31-2005, 05:39 PM
I don't have cable, so if I'm at home or in the car I've always listened to Rooney. Even when the game is on WGN or 26, I turn down the TV audio and listen to Rooney. It's not that Hawk bothers me, I just love the way Rooney calls a game. Case in point: I listened to (didn't watch) AJ's walk-off HR against the Dodgers, and I was jumping up and down before the ball even left the park. Rooney put me there, it was closer to being in the ballpark than if I'd watched it happen on TV.I like when McCarver was talking about how Brad Lidge would never let that happen to him again when Pujols smacked that homerun. Those were the last words as PODS jacked the game winner off of him. It was awesome to hear because he ate his words.Yes yes! I believe the precise call went a bit like this...

BUCK: Do you, sir, buy into the theory that people said with regard to Lidge: It would have been nice to get Lidge in the game in game 6 in St. Louis in the NLCS, to get that taste out of his mouth* of the Pujols homerun?
MCCARVER: I don't think that taste is there.
BUCK: Podsednik hits one to DEEP right-center field...
(a few moments of irritating chit-chat later...)
MCCARVER: HOW DO THESE THINGS HAPPEN?!?!?

It's staggering to think about how much LESS rewarding a feeling like winning the WS would be, were it not so devastating to dimwits like Berman and McCarver. Priceless.

*BTW, I found this to be quite a delightful mutilation of the English language of the part of Mr. Joe Buck. Say what you will about Berman (you're right!), but at least his sentences resemble sentences when you try to type out *** he's talking about! I'm sure Joe's dad would be so proud...

soxinem1
01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
My personal favorite was Bernstein doing Vin Scully's
imitation of Hawk.I know it was in 2004,but it was funny to me.:D:

Rooney fans should recall that he did a pretty good Vin Scully himself almost daily!!