PDA

View Full Version : Guillen ecstatic to visit Venezuela

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Beloved manager enjoys giving back to native country

CARACAS -- Jose Luis Silva froze in his tracks on Estadio Universitario's concourse and immediately put out his right arm, simultaneously stopping and accidentally splashing his three children who were trailing him with his soda.
It was Saturday in the city. The Silva family was visiting the stadium, home of the Caracas Baseball Club, to catch a game between their beloved Leones and Tiburones de La Guaira when Jose nonchalantly looked to his right and caught a glimpse of a patriot signing a baseball.
"Mira! Es Oswaldo Guillen!" he pointed with delight. "Look! It's Ozzie Guillen!" is the version heard stateside, most often in the Windy City.

In the United States, Guillen is the manager of the World Series Champion Chicago White Sox. In Venezuela, he is the country's champion.
"Oswaldo Guillen was a great player when he played for the Tiburones and he always played every winter here, and for us that is special," Silva, 42, said. "For us, he was an idol.

Now as manager and all that he has done, oof, he is a symbol of Venezuela. He represents us to the world. We are so proud. My kids admire him. We all admire him here for what he means to us."
"Oof" is Spanish slang, sometimes used like "wow," and seemingly always used simultaneously with a one-handed gesture that resembles a motion made after touching something hot.

Talk about Guillen to the people of Venezuela and the "oofs" drop like crazy.
See Guillen in the World Series? Oof, how could I miss it?
Oof, what a job Guillen did with the White Sox!

Linkster
(http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051222&content_id=1286771&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

SouthSide_HitMen
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051222&content_id=1286771&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Mod edit: You reprinted about 1/3 of the article here. Articles on mlb.com are copyrighted by them. PLEASE read the post at the top of this column on what every WSI user should know, particularly the portion about "fair use" of copyrighted material. A third of an article goes beyond the bounds of fair use.

Ok, sorry - it was a long article.

Guillen tries. He jokes with fans as they stream by him, but he is more business-like than usual. He is careful not to spend too much time with one fan because he sees the long line and does not want to miss anybody.
Besides, it's raining.

"I do this because of the love they give back to me," Guillen said. "It's not easy to do this because Venezuela is in a real difficult time right now. There is lot of bitterness, and a lot of different opinions and different ways of thinking. There are a lot of individuals working for different reasons. This is something positive for people who need it."

FielderJones
12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
A third of an article goes beyond the bounds of fair use.
:DJ
Yeah, hyperlinks are not rocket surgery.

FarWestChicago
12-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Mod edit: You reprinted about 1/3 of the article here. Articles on mlb.com are copyrighted by them. PLEASE read the post at the top of this column on what every WSI user should know, particularly the portion about "fair use" of copyrighted material. A third of an article goes beyond the bounds of fair use.Sheesh, all that for a duplicate post no less. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
12-30-2005, 09:48 PM
:DJ
Yeah, hyperlinks are not rocket surgery.

Nor are they brain science.

Daver
12-30-2005, 09:51 PM
If anyone mentions a math quiz I'm locking this thread.

:)