PDA

View Full Version : Re-sign Contreras, trade Vazquez at deadline

vafan
12-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Now that JG is back aboard, the Sox need to find an amicable number that they and Jose Contreras can live with on a 2-3 year extension. Given Jose's happiness here and the fact there aren't many Latin managers elsewhere, I expect that will happen relatively soon.

At that point, I believe the Sox should prepare and go into the season with Contreras, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez making up the rotation. McCarthy would help fill the bullpen slot El Duque would have filled had he still been here. We will have a great starting rotation, plus insurance in case any of our starters go down. And McCarthy's arm won't be taxed trying to pitch a full season in the rotation. Given his thin frame, that's probably a very good thing.

By midseason, however, things may look quite a bit different. Vazquez, if Coop has helped him return anywhere close to his Montreal form, will be a much more valuable commodity in trade than he is now. And McCarthy may be ready to step into a half-season role as our fifth starter.

Rather than trade now, I think the Sox would be better served to continue deepening their staff and be in a position to deal from strength next July, or keep all the guys if they are humming along and the offense isn't in need of a major boost.

Tragg
12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Now that JG is back aboard, the Sox need to find an amicable number that they and Jose Contreras can live with on a 2-3 year extension. Given Jose's happiness here and the fact there aren't many Latin managers elsewhere, I expect that will happen relatively soon.

At that point, I believe the Sox should prepare and go into the season with Contreras, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez making up the rotation. McCarthy would help fill the bullpen slot El Duque would have filled had he still been here. We will have a great starting rotation, plus insurance in case any of our starters go down. And McCarthy's arm won't be taxed trying to pitch a full season in the rotation. Given his thin frame, that's probably a very good thing.

By midseason, however, things may look quite a bit different. Vazquez, if Coop has helped him return anywhere close to his Montreal form, will be a much more valuable commodity in trade than he is now. And McCarthy may be ready to step into a half-season role as our fifth starter.

Rather than trade now, I think the Sox would be better served to continue deepening their staff and be in a position to deal from strength next July, or keep all the guys if they are humming along and the offense isn't in need of a major boost. Do you think we could get what we paid for him? Also, deadline deals don't net what they once did.
I sure wouldn't give any of them away. If the loot isn't serious, play him/them and pick up the draft choices.

ondafarm
12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
I say stack up and accumulate the pitching. I wouldn't be looking for a major trade deadline deal.

Frater Perdurabo
12-30-2005, 11:19 AM
I say stack up and accumulate the pitching. I wouldn't be looking for a major trade deadline deal.

Agreed. However, I would trade any of the six starters other than Buehrle for a player like Carl Crawford.

Optipessimism
12-30-2005, 11:32 AM
If anything I think we will be buyers at the deadline, not sellers. I already see KW making a deal to bring back El Duque for the postseason, in fact I'd wager almost anything that he at least seriously explores that.

There is no reason to trade one of our starters at the deadline unless we want prospects. But what would be the point of trading Vazquez? We already gave up our best prospect and a good middle reliever for him, so why would we essentially want to trade a prospect for another prospect? Dealing Contreras makes sense ONLY if he struggles mightily. If he performs well enough, who is to say that Jose shouldn't be resigned after the season at the expense of trading one of our other starters? If Jose turns in a full year similar to the second half of 2005, it makes no sense for us to get prospects for him because he could help us in the playoffs immediately. Even if he were to bolt for FA, we'd still get two top picks anyway.

But yeah, mark my word, El Duque back to the Sox in July or August for a couple midlevel prospects.

ilsox7
12-30-2005, 11:36 AM
If anything I think we will be buyers at the deadline, not sellers. I already see KW making a deal to bring back El Duque for the postseason, in fact I'd wager almost anything that he at least seriously explores that.

There is no reason to trade one of our starters at the deadline unless we want prospects. But what would be the point of trading Vazquez? We already gave up our best prospect and a good middle reliever for him, so why would we essentially want to trade a prospect for another prospect? Dealing Contreras makes sense ONLY if he struggles mightily. If he performs well enough, who is to say that Jose shouldn't be resigned after the season at the expense of trading one of our other starters? If Jose turns in a full year similar to the second half of 2005, it makes no sense for us to get prospects for him because he could help us in the playoffs immediately. Even if he were to bolt for FA, we'd still get two top picks anyway.

But yeah, mark my word, El Duque back to the Sox in July or August for a couple midlevel prospects.

I doubt El Duque will be back if we go into the season with JC and McCarthy. Assuming we go the whole season with 6 starters, our post season roster would involved moving the least effective starter to the bullpen along with McCarthy. There really would not be room for El Duque.

vafan
12-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm not saying we would have to trade Vazquez at the deadline, and we certainly wouldn't if any of our other starters was hurt.

The reason for my post was to counter the notion that Contreras should be traded now because we have enough starters. The better plan is to re-sign Jose and go into the season with McCarthy in the pen and the 5 horses in the rotation.

But, let's say that Brian Anderson tanks, or Jermaine Dye gets hurt, or Jim Thome's back flares up, or Joe Crede is hurt, or Pods pulls his hammy again, or .... whatever. The Sox may end up having major needs in the middle of the season.

At that point, if we've rehabbed Vazquez, the guy would have tremendous trade value and could net us whatever we need to fill our holes (if we have them). We would also have a better idea about trusting the 5th starter role to McCarthy.

Of course if the right deal isn't there, then there's no harm in keeping Vazquez and trading him next offseason. After all, he'll still have two more years with whatever club acquires him.

Just don't dump Jose. He's still our best postseason starter.

ShoelessJoeS
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM

Rather than trade now, I think the Sox would be better served to continue deepening their staff and be in a position to deal from strength next July, or keep all the guys if they are humming along and the offense isn't in need of a major boost.
I don't think you know how good Vazquez can be. If Coop can get him anywhere near his Montreal form, trading him would be the blunder of the year. If Coop can get him back to dominance like 2003, hoooolyyy ****....

beckett21
12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
With all due respect, I wish all the *trade Vazquez* speculation would just stop. It's not going to happen.

KW got him for a reason. That reason was not to trade him away.

He's going to be here awhile. Get used to the idea.

rowand33
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
You don't trade a good starting pticher at the deadline if you're in contention. You just don't.

The only teams looking to pick up good, expensive, starting pitching are teams in the playoff hunt looking to get better.

You don't make a team taht you might see at any point in the playoffs, be that the ALDS, ALCS, or World Series, better. You just don't.

Furthermore, I don't think we should be trading any of the 6. Worse case scenario we should let Jose walk after the season. Who cares if we don't get anything for him if he helps us win another world series?

You go into the season with this rotation:

Buehrle
Contreras
Garcia
Garland
Vazquez

you have BMac in the pen and there for injury insurance.

Remember in spring training when it looked like Buehrle was gonna miss a good chunk of time? I know that if I was in KW's shoes, I would be more worried about being prepared in case something like that happened then I would be about not getting anything for Contreras.

HotelWhiteSox
12-30-2005, 01:26 PM

Is that an offer to pay the salaries? :wink: