PDA

View Full Version : Pennant Fever Grips South Florida (not)

Fenway
12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I really feel for what is left of the Marlins fanbase

MIAMI --Infielder Pokey Reese and right-hander Joe Borowski agreed Thursday to one-year contracts with the Florida Marlins.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/12/29/marlins_sign_pokey_reese_joe_borowski/

HotelWhiteSox
12-30-2005, 08:24 AM
I heard Miguel Olivo signed there too

downstairs
12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
I think the whole concept of "baseball in Florida" will be seen as one of the biggest failed experiments in sports history.

That is, until they move one of the Florida teams to Las Vegas... which 10 years down the line will be seen as the biggest failed experiment in sports history.

ilsox7
12-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I really feel for what is left of the Marlins fanbase

MIAMI --Infielder Pokey Reese and right-hander Joe Borowski agreed Thursday to one-year contracts with the Florida Marlins.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/12/29/marlins_sign_pokey_reese_joe_borowski/

I saw their new manager at The Drake last week. Almost went up to him to give him my condolences. I will say this, the Marlins are doing a fire sale the way you should do it. They will be loaded in 3 years, if they have a home.

SoxSpeed22
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
That is, until they move one of the Florida teams to Las Vegas... which 10 years down the line will be seen as the biggest failed experiment in sports history.http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/xfl.jpg"Really?"
I think at this point, Loria> Phelps.

downstairs
12-30-2005, 12:57 PM
http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/xfl.jpg"Really?"
I think at this point, Loria> Phelps.

Ok, point taken. :cool:

Garland_IS_God
12-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I actually liked the XFL. Maybe cause it was another football league and I can't get enough of football.

dakuda
12-30-2005, 02:13 PM
I actually liked the XFL. Maybe cause it was another football league and I can't get enough of football.

PLus, season tickets were only $150. We had four, 3rd row, 55 yard line. Tailgating was cold (except for once when I think it was pretty nice out), but it was still a good time.

lumpyspun
12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
I think the whole concept of "baseball in Florida" will be seen as one of the biggest failed experiments in sports history.

That is, until they move one of the Florida teams to Las Vegas... which 10 years down the line will be seen as the biggest failed experiment in sports history.

The Marlins won 2 world series in a 6 year span. I won't really argue that the Devil Rays are probably a failed experiment, though. Let's all just be grateful that the Sox weren't the ones to try baseball in Tampa/St. Petersburg.

cubhater
12-31-2005, 06:24 AM
I grew up in South Florida and could tell that baseball wouldn't last there. There are too many northeastern transplants with loyalties to the Yanks, Mets, Red Sox, etc. to fully embrace the new kid on the block.

Look at the fire sale after their first WS title. How would we, as Sox fans, feel if JR decided to blow up our 2005 team and go with one of the lowest payrolls in the league this upcoming season? Granted that was under the Huizenga (sp) ownership, but moves like that can't help but plant a seed of distrupt toward ownership.

Pro Player/Dolphin/ Robbie Stadium or whatever they call it nowadays is great for football but a dump for watching baseball. Joe Robbie, when he owned the Dolphins, constantly fought with the city of Miami over the Orange Bowl lease or trying to get financial help with a new stadium until he took initiative and used his own money to build it himself. Loria (and I'm not defending him) is getting railroaded by local and state government in his quest for a new stadium.

Basically now, you have an owner who threatens to move his club unless he gets a new stadium and will put out a cheap product, officials who don't want to fund it, and losing support from a small, dwindling fan base.

MLB should contract the Marlins and Rays and put a team in Orlando.

FedEx227
12-31-2005, 12:22 PM
I didn't mind the XFL either, it didn't help that some of the games were just overall BAD, but I think people just gave up on it way too quickly. The first ratings made people go nuts at the possibilities then people just assumed that bad games were all the XFL had to offer. Now Rashaan Salaam and Will Avery have to find new places to run :(

The NFL got a little bit out of the XFL though, mainly the "SkyCam".

gowhitesox
12-31-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't think it will be long before the Marlins are out of Florida. Sad story.

MiamiSpartan
01-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Baseball in Florida was not a failed experamint. MLB creaming themselves over Huizinga's money when there was not a ballpark plan in place was what caused the failure.

wdelaney72
01-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I didn't mind the XFL either, it didn't help that some of the games were just overall BAD, but I think people just gave up on it way too quickly. The first ratings made people go nuts at the possibilities then people just assumed that bad games were all the XFL had to offer. Now Rashaan Salaam and Will Avery have to find new places to run :(

The NFL got a little bit out of the XFL though, mainly the "SkyCam".

The XFL would have worked if Vince McMahon had nothing to do with it. I was all excited leading up to the first game. Once I realized it was WWF part 2, I never watched again.

Three things about the XFL I liked:
1) No coin toss. Race to the ball to determine opening possession
2) No extra points.
3) ...and this is my biggest NFL gripe... The ground COULD cause a fumble. I'm sorry, but holding on to the football as you hit the ground should be a requirement of maintaining possession.

cubhater
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
2) No extra points.
3) ...and this is my biggest NFL gripe... The ground COULD cause a fumble. I'm sorry, but holding on to the football as you hit the ground should be a requirement of maintaining possession.

And no fair catches on punts!:cool:

I agree with you on #3 too.

soxfanatlanta
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
MLB should contract the Marlins and Rays and put a team in Orlando.

I agree with you about the contraction part, but Orlando? It just would not work. O-town can barely support the Magic, let alone a baseball team; you would add one more item to the sad list of failed experiments in FL.

Contract the two teams, and move it to Portland (Charlotte could not support a MLB team either, IMO).

My $.02

cubhater
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree with you about the contraction part, but Orlando? It just would not work. O-town can barely support the Magic, let alone a baseball team; you would add one more item to the sad list of failed experiments in FL.

Contract the two teams, and move it to Portland (Charlotte could not support a MLB team either, IMO).

My $.02

Orlando biggest detriment, just like South Florida and Tampa, is that it has a large transient population with allegiances to other teams. It's biggest assest is it's central location and convenient for fans in Tampa and the Space Coast who wish to check out a game.

Unfortunately, baseball and tourist season don't go hand in hand there. It'd be a great family vacation to catch the Sox and see the attractions but the weather is BRUTAL during the summer.

Guess I'll change my original comment and state baseball wouldn't last long in Orlando.

Tekijawa
01-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Contract the two teams and move them to Billings, give that part of the US something to cheer for! The Ball park could take up most of Montana with foul poles in Idaho and North Dakota, South Dakota could house the HR porch and Wyoming would get centerfield and there would be a little nook in Nebraska. The could call themselves the lumberjacks and their uniforms would be plaid! In the Expansion draft Johnny Damon would be their first pick and he would be required to grow all his hair back! They would serve hot dogs with pancakes as the bun! and would take warm up swings with Axes!

It would be great!

soxfanatlanta
01-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Contract the two teams and move them to Billings, give that part of the US something to cheer for! The Ball park could take up most of Montana with foul poles in Idaho and North Dakota, South Dakota could house the HR porch and Wyoming would get centerfield and there would be a little nook in Nebraska. The could call themselves the lumberjacks and their uniforms would be plaid! In the Expansion draft Johnny Damon would be their first pick and he would be required to grow all his hair back! They would serve hot dogs with pancakes as the bun! and would take warm up swings with Axes!

It would be great!
(Must...resist...temptation...urgah! no...use)

Great idea! I have your team mascot already picked out...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c5/Lumberjack_Song.png/180px-Lumberjack_Song.png

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day!

getonbckthr
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Its quite simple in my eyes. Get rid of the Rays and Marlins Ship the Brewers to the AL Central, send either Cleveland or Detroit to the AL East. With the players in the Tampa and Fla organizations throw them into a pool and have a draft with the remaining 28 teams, with the order being completely random opposed to using records. Set this up for after the 2007 season (almost like a threat!) At the same you tell the Nationals and Twins as well as the cities that by that time hey must have a concrete plan for a stadium and a future in those cites. If they fail to do so relocation is guarenteed withthe Twins moving to Portland and the Nationals to Vegas. For the 2008 season the league would be more competitive and if these 4 teams fail to comply with the league realignment could look like this:
AL
East:NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR,CLE/DET
Central:SOX,KC,, DET/CLE,TEX,MIL
West:POR, OAK,SEA, LAA
NL
East:NYM,ATL,PHI,PITT
Central:STL,CHI,HOU,CIN,COL
West:SD,ARI,Vegas,SF,LAD

Hangar18
01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Its quite simple in my eyes. Get rid of the Rays and Marlins Ship the Brewers to the AL Central, send either Cleveland or Detroit to the AL East. With the players in the Tampa and Fla organizations throw them into a pool and have a draft with the remaining 28 teams, with the order being completely random opposed to using records. Set this up for after the 2007 season (almost like a threat!) At the same you tell the Nationals and Twins as well as the cities that by that time hey must have a concrete plan for a stadium and a future in those cites. If they fail to do so relocation is guarenteed withthe Twins moving to Portland and the Nationals to Vegas. For the 2008 season the league would be more competitive and if these 4 teams fail to comply with the league realignment could look like this:
AL
East:NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR,CLE/DET
Central:SOX,KC,, DET/CLE,TEX,MIL
West:POR, OAK,SEA, LAA
NL
East:NYM,ATL,PHI,PITT
Central:STL,CHI,HOU,CIN,COL
West:SD,ARI,Vegas,SF,LAD

I suggested the exact same thing, FOLD MARLINS & DEVILRAYS, Brewers back to AL

PKalltheway
01-10-2006, 12:05 AM
The Marlins have the worst fans in all of sports. If anybody is still mad over what they did after the 1997 World Series, I have three words for you. Get over it! You won another title already! You have had contenders for the past three seasons! There is nobody else to blame for this fire sale other than the fans. The Marlins have had contenders and nobody went to see them. They can't get a new stadium, so why blame Loria for giving up? Pathetic, just pathetic. They deserve to lose their team.

elrod
01-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I went to a Marlins game in April 2005. The crowd was pretty poor, but then again the Sox don't exactly sell out in April either. However, it was 84 degrees, so weather wasn't an excuse. The reasons the Marlins don't do well is that the stadium is way up on the North end of Dade County, not near anything. And there is very little marketing of the team. Everybody was into the Miami Heat. And they all love the Dolphins. But nobody cared about the Marlins.

Putting a new stadium in South Beach, or just across the causeway from South Beach would definitely change things. But after suffering four major hurricanes, Florida doesn't exactly have the cash for a new ballpark. Loria should invest in one himself.

MiamiSpartan
01-10-2006, 06:15 AM
April and May are the only times in the year where weather is not an excuse. The rest of the season, it basically sucks all summer long...and then you have those pesky hurricanes...
Don't get me wrong, I agree that the population down here has not supported the team.
I'm just saying the ballpark plan should have been in place before bringing the team down here...

Hangar18
01-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm just saying the ballpark plan should have been in place before bringing the team down here...

Werent Jerry Reinsdorf and Bud Selig part of the Expansion Committee?

longshot7
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
The XFL would have worked if Vince McMahon had nothing to do with it. I was all excited leading up to the first game. Once I realized it was WWF part 2, I never watched again.

2) No extra points.

I disagree. It could have worked if it was LESS sports and MORE wwe. If all of the football games were taped in advance, and the season unfolded onscreen like a reality TV show, with the outcomes not known, but following the players, cheerleaders, management, etc off the field during their week, it could have been a hit. Like a REAL version of that show Playmakers.