PDA

View Full Version : Feder: Richard Roeper to write book about 2005 White Sox

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
From today's Feder column (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder291.html):

*Sun-Times columnist Richard Roeper has signed a deal with Chicago Review Press to write a book about being a lifelong White Sox fan in a Cubs town. Tentatively titled Nine Men In: How the 2005 White Sox Won the World Championship and Erased the Longest Curse in Sports History, it's due to be published in spring of 2007.

The description of the book and the title don't seem to really jibe; is the book about Roeper's experiences as a Sox fan, or the 2005 Sox team?

scottjanssens
12-29-2005, 11:44 AM
"Erased the longest curse"? The Sox don't have a curse. And even if they did, the Cubs' "curse" would be longer.

Fenway
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
"Erased the longest curse"?

EXCUSE ME
http://www.psychoholics.com/thoughts/billy.jpeg

chisoxmike
12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Uhhhh, Roeper is a Sox fan, he of all people should know we have NO curse.:?:

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Hopefully for Roeper that's a working title....he'd alienate alot of people by putting that C word in the title of the book. Drought, ok...Curse? No.

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Can I quote TL here??

:comiskey
"I told you there are NO CURSES!!"

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 12:12 PM
EXCUSE ME
http://www.psychoholics.com/thoughts/billy.jpeg
Technically, that garbage started in 1945.

Any book about the Sox and 2005 is welcome, but that title sucks ass. Spring of 2007, is that correct??? Seems an awfully long time to write & publish a baseball book and still be timely about it. The Sox will be 2-time champs by then...

The Deacon
12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
The only 'curse' the SOX had was playing third fiddle to the media darlings Cubs and Red Sox.
We were the cursed red headed step-child who got locked in the basement and forgot about.

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem as though EVERYBODY is writing a book about the 2005 White Sox?

I think I'll wait and write one about the 2006 White Sox, just to be different!

And that title does absolutely suck.

Besides, there already is a book about the experiences of lifelong Sox fans. It's called "Dedicated to..." :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Also,for the FYI of any Scum Times wonks who frequent this site,
this is the team that holds that "longest CURSE" distinction.
Hint:it's not the South Siders!!!!

:santo "Oh Nooooo!!!"
:nocubs

DenverSock
12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I suppose the "longest curse" crap is for PR purposes.

Dick Allen
12-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Lifelong Sox fan in a Cubs town? I really don't care for that description. I've been a Sox fan longer than he has, and it hasn't always been a Cubs town, if it ever really was. Cubs media maybe, not Cubs town.

MsSoxVixen22
12-29-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm not a big Roeper person-even if he is a Sox fan. There's just something about him that I don't care for. Why did he wait this long after the Sox won to write a book? And the title DOES suck!

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 12:29 PM
And the title DOES suck!
Yup. Any "lifelong Sox fan" wouldn't give a damn about so-called curses.

Shift
12-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Sox fans, unlike our crosstown rivals and BoSox fans, refuse to abet the 'curse' label. But it sure is self-perpetuating in the national media. That blowhard Chris Berman the other day dropped the 'c' word 2-3 times on ESPN's Year in Review show. It's annoying as all heck.

On the other hand, I sure am glad to have to refute the notion of the curse in the context of the White Sox World Series Championship.

BainesHOF
12-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I expect Roeper's book to contain absolutely no fresh insight. He writes a good column, but his movie reviewing is amateurish and I don't know what would make him think that he is in the position to write an interesting Sox book.

Roeper is Chicago journalism's version of Sheryl Crow. Both have a disturbing need to be everywhere.

rocky biddle
12-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Maybe I'm just optimistically twisting the title, but what if the curse being erased is the 'cubs town' bs? That's the only way I can see it being ok. Roeper's a pretty sharp guy so I wouldn't put this play on words past him. Hopefully it'll be about his experiences as a Sox fan living with the false media designation of Chicago as a cubs town, and how the 2005 White Sox erased that "curse."

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Maybe I'm just optimistically twisting the title, but what if the curse being erased is the 'cubs town' bs? That's the only way I can see it being ok. Roeper's a pretty sharp guy so I wouldn't put this play on words past him. Hopefully it'll be about his experiences as a Sox fan living with the false media designation of Chicago as a cubs town, and how the 2005 White Sox erased that "curse."

Rocky, I never gave that a thought. You could be right. I mean, Roeper's GOT to know the Cubs' losing streak is the longest in MLB. Who doesn't know that?

The only thing is, even if that is what he means, anyone seeing that title would most likely jump to the same conclusion that most of us did. And unless you read the book, you'd never find out he was being facetious. So since the end result is the same--more people who don't know better buying into this stupid "curse" crap--I think it's still a cruddy title.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Rocky, I never gave that a thought. You could be right. I mean, Roeper's GOT to know the Cubs' losing streak is the longest in MLB. Who doesn't know that?

The only thing is, even if that is what he means, anyone seeing that title would most likely jump to the same conclusion that most of us did. And unless you read the book, you'd never find out he was being facetious. So since the end result is the same--more people who don't know better buying into this stupid "curse" crap--I think it's still a cruddy title.
Why would he bite the hand that feeds him?

And for the record, the Cubs have the longest losing streak, but not the longest curse. I'm not a curseologist, but I played one on TV. Here's a list of some present and recently-destroyed "curses"...

- Chicago (curse of the Black Sox, dating to 1919 WS)
- Boston (curse of the bambino, dating to 1920 sale of Babe Ruth)
- Chicago NL (curse of the billy goat, dating to 1945)
- Cleveland (curse of Rocky Colavito, dating to 1960)
- New York AL (curse of Don Mattingly, 1982-1995 inclusive and 2004 to present)
- St. Louis (curse of Keith Hernandez, dating to 1982)

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 04:52 PM

And for the record, the Cubs have the longest losing streak, but not the longest curse. I'm not a curseologist, but I played one on TV. Here's a list of some present and recently-destroyed "curses"...

That's just it though, BabyFisk. Who the hell ever heard of a "Curse of the Black Sox" even being mentioned before the media clowns started yammering on about it when they finally realized we were going to the playoffs? I sure never did.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 05:05 PM
That's just it though, BabyFisk. Who the hell ever heard of a "Curse of the Black Sox" even being mentioned before the media clowns started yammering on about it when they finally realized we were going to the playoffs? I sure never did.
Instead of focussing on the brilliant work by Kenny Williams (booooring!), or the excellent managing by Ozzie Guillen (boooooring!), the media latched onto the most simplistic crap they could, uh, latch onto: the Black Sox curse. Ooooo! Scary curse! Remember that atrocious pre-game intro that FOX broadcast before one of the World Series games? It went something like:

- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- not the Cubs!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Bill Veeck was a tacky madman!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- etc etc...

It was horrible. Anyway, my point to all this, I think, was that the black sox thing has been around for years, but was the easiest thing for the media to focus on. Just like their instantaneous recognition of a "white sox nation". :rolleyes:

I'll still read the book, tho, even though the title sucks.

Fenway
12-29-2005, 05:21 PM

You neglected your hometown and the Curse of Punch Imlach who said after he was fired by the Leafs and went to Buffalo in 1970, "The Leafs will never win the Cup again"

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Instead of focussing on the brilliant work by Kenny Williams (booooring!), or the excellent managing by Ozzie Guillen (boooooring!), the media latched onto the most simplistic crap they could, uh, latch onto: the Black Sox curse. Ooooo! Scary curse! Remember that atrocious pre-game intro that FOX broadcast before one of the World Series games? It went something like:

- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- not the Cubs!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- Bill Veeck was a tacky madman!
- Black Sox!
- Black Sox!
- etc etc...

It was horrible. Anyway, my point to all this, I think, was that the black sox thing has been around for years, but was the easiest thing for the media to focus on. Just like their instantaneous recognition of a "white sox nation". :rolleyes:

I'll still read the book, tho, even though the title sucks.

Yeah, I'll read it too. I like Roeper's writing style (usually). And about the ONLY thing I really hated about the playoffs was all that ridiculous crap that was constantly--well, it seemed that way--being spewed by ESPN/FOX.

What I'd really like to see is a John Kass Sox fan book. And Richard, if you're lurking, please consider exposing both the "Black Sox curse" twaddle and the equally abhorrent "White Sox nation" tripe as creations of a media that probably could not have named five starting White Sox players at the beginning--hell, middle!--of the 2005 season.

In a way, you gotta love this stuff. Helps us keep that chip on our shoulders.

[WARNING/Slightly Off Topic] MrMarySwiss and I went out for lunch today to the nearby Bahama Breeze. MrMarySwiss wore his Bears sweatshirt (that's right; if you live in Arizona, 72 is chilly!) and borrowed my '83 Sox cap. I must admit I was Sox apparel-less; I've been too busy to do laundry, so it's all dirty. Anyway, when we were leaving the restaurant, the manager said "Go Bears!" and asked if we were South Side or North. Turns out he was South, so he and I did some of that big-grin exchanging, and I told him about WSI. As we walked to the car, MrMary said, "Wow, you guys are everywhere." I smiled sweetly and said, "We always have been, but nobody ever noticed before."[/end Off Topic]

Bobbo35
12-30-2005, 01:46 AM
The only 'curse' the SOX had was playing third fiddle to the media darlings Cubs and Red Sox.
We were the cursed red headed step-child who got locked in the basement and forgot about.

That is exactly right!
:uribe:

Baby Fisk
12-30-2005, 09:19 AM
You neglected your hometown and the Curse of Punch Imlach who said after he was fired by the Leafs and went to Buffalo in 1970, "The Leafs will never win the Cup again"
I don't follow hockey, but it is inescapable where I live. Actually, the Maple Leafs are sort of like the Cubs of hockey. Every year they send out a bloated lineup of creaky, overpaid "stars", the media goes hogwild over them, they sellout every game, and then crash and burn long before the Stanley Cup final. And no one ever seems to get angry about their failures. It's mind-boggling.

Sorry, how did we get onto the Maple Laffs in this thread? :?:

Dick Allen
12-30-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't follow hockey, but it is inescapable where I live. Actually, the Maple Leafs are sort of like the Cubs of hockey. Every year they send out a bloated lineup of creaky, overpaid "stars", the media goes hogwild over them, they sellout every game, and then crash and burn long before the Stanley Cup final. And no one ever seems to get angry about their failures. It's mind-boggling.

Sorry, how did we get onto the Maple Laffs in this thread? :?:The Leafs won several Stanley Cups in the 60's, putting them miles ahead of the Cubs.

starboy0
12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Hopefully for Roeper that's a working title....he'd alienate alot of people by putting that C word in the title of the book. Drought, ok...Curse? No.

Could be too he has no control over the title. Often the publisher decides that.

I agree it should be more like "Nine Men in: How the Sox Won the 2005 WS"

MarySwiss
12-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Could be too he has no control over the title. Often the publisher decides that.

I agree it should be more like "Nine Men in: How the Sox Won the 2005 WS"

That's true, but that's usually a marketing decision. If the author makes a big enough deal about it, the publisher frequently backs down or at least tries to compromise.

I think your title says it all. And I cannot imagine why a publisher would think that adding that curse crap would make the book more marketable. In fact, as RedHeadPaleHoser said earlier, it may even alienate people.

Railsplitter
12-30-2005, 11:34 AM

It could be the publisher's title. They do have some input into the title.

DenverSock
12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
And I cannot imagine why a publisher would think that adding that curse crap would make the book more marketable. In fact, as RedHeadPaleHoser said earlier, it may even alienate people.

Unfortunately that curse claptrap may sell books nationwide even if it alienates some White Sox fans in Chicago.

TornLabrum
12-30-2005, 12:01 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not reading any book that contains the word curse in the title, let alone buying one.

Martinigirl
12-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I agree that it is most likely the publisher's description of a book that has not been written yet.

I actually like Roeper a lot. I think his columns are hilarious, and after seeing him at the Sox Pride screening, I know he truly is a Sox fan and understands all that that entails.

I am looking forward to it.

DenverSock
12-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Just what is the curse of Don Mattingly? How about the curse of Keith Hernandez? I've never heard of those. At least I'd heard of the curse of the Black Sox years ago, although I'll admit to never taking any curses seriously. This year is the first time I've ever heard of the curse of Shoeless Joe and every thing I'd ever heard about him leads me to believe that he loved the White sox and would never have cursed them. I thought he wanted to come back and play for them again after he was cleared.

Baby Fisk
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Just what is the curse of Don Mattingly? How about the curse of Keith Hernandez? I've never heard of those. At least I'd heard of the curse of the Black Sox years ago, although I'll admit to never taking any curses seriously. This year is the first time I've ever heard of the curse of Shoeless Joe and every thing I'd ever heard about him leads me to believe that he loved the White sox and would never have cursed them. I thought he wanted to come back and play for them again after he was cleared.

Again, despite my uncanny awareness of such things, I do not believe in curses! :redface:

The Don Mattingly thing could be little more than a coincidence of time. The Yankees won the WS in 1981. Then Mattingly came up in 1982 and the Yankees went on a huge skid, not making the post-season again until Mattingly's final season (1995). There, they got knocked out by Seattle and Mattingly retired. Lo and behold, the Yankees win the WS in 1996! And three more times after that. Then Mattingly returns to the Yankee dugout in 2004, and they hit the skids again! Coincidence or curse? You make the call!

The Keith Hernandez thing is propagated by a St. Louis sports journalist (can't remember the name) who claims that the Cards screwed themselves out of further post-season glory by dealing Hernandez after their 1982 championship. Take it for what you will.

DenverSock
12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
The Don Mattingly thing could be little more than a coincidence of time. The Yankees won the WS in 1981. Then Mattingly came up in 1982 and the Yankees went on a huge skid, not making the post-season again until Mattingly's final season (1995). There, they got knocked out by Seattle and Mattingly retired. Lo and behold, the Yankees win the WS in 1996! And three more times after that. Then Mattingly returns to the Yankee dugout in 2004, and they hit the skids again! Coincidence or curse? You make the call!

The Keith Hernandez thing is propagated by a St. Louis sports journalist (can't remember the name) who claims that the Cards screwed themselves out of further post-season glory by dealing Hernandez after their 1982 championship. Take it for what you will.

As for the St. Louis thing: "Sports Journalist" often= :dtroll:

This just fits into my theory that in order to fill airtime or newspaper white space people will write or say any ****.

Now as to Don Mattingly: You'd have me believe that a guy who loved the Yankees and the game so much he was known Donnie Baseball is a curse to the team he loves. As Nero Wolfe might say: "PFUI".

All curses are ****!

soxinem1
12-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Again, despite my uncanny awareness of such things, I do not believe in curses! :redface:

That's all BS with Mattingly. George overpaid some real scrubolas from 1982-95. Remember the 'Speed and Defense' Yankees of 1982? Or those 89-92 teams? They flat out sucked!

Nah, Donnie had nothing to do with that. Besides, who can complain about a 14 years curse on this board?

Frankfan4life
12-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Lifelong Sox fan in a Cubs town? I really don't care for that description. I've been a Sox fan longer than he has, and it hasn't always been a Cubs town, if it ever really was. Cubs media maybe, not Cubs town.I agree. The media is totally drunk on cubbie kool-aid and just can't help themselves.

soxinem1
12-31-2005, 11:42 AM
I agree. The media is totally drunk on cubbie kool-aid and just can't help themselves.

Amen to that!