PDA

View Full Version : Chris Rongey

soxfantim
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Just heard and it may have been reported here before, but just heard Rongey is the pre and psot game guy for next year. Isn't he a coob fan?

SOXPHILE
12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I was reading something about this on the Chicago Sports Fans message boards (Score670.com). I wasn't sure if it was credible or not. I've only heard him do updates. Haven't heard enough of him for an extended period of time to make a fair judgment, but he seems o.k. I'm just glad it's not this guy----------> http://670thescore.com/includes/news_items/3/23/pic_jesse_rogers.jpg

"Hey, that's not fair guys ! Give me a chance. I'm a Cub fan, but I'm really a fan of BOTH teams. Because, don't forget, Wisconsin is practically right over the border !"

soxfantim
12-29-2005, 10:03 AM
just think if he or north did it, both butcher the english language

FRITZ
12-29-2005, 10:11 AM
He's very much NOT a Cubs fan. I know that for a fact.

onenine19
12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Just heard and it may have been reported here before, but just heard Rongey is the pre and psot game guy for next year. Isn't he a coob fan?
Chris Rongey = Sox and Cardinals fan. He is originally from the St. Louis area.

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 10:14 AM

Rongey always struck me as a Cubs fan over the years. How do you "know for a fact" that he's not one?

SOXPHILE
12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Rongey always struck me as a Cubs fan over the years. How do you "know for a fact" that he's not one?

B & B have busted his Rongey's chops in the past for being from the St. Louis area, and being a part of "Creepy Cardinal Nation".

HotelWhiteSox
12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
I like him, much better than Jesse Rogers. I thought he was a Cubs fan too, but all the better if he's a Sox fan.

I don't know if he does more than updates right now, I don't listen that much lately, but I did hear his little thing during Boers and Bernstein mixing up The Iron Curtain and the Steel Curtain. "Finally, <insert name> died, the creator of the Iron Curtain..." I don't follow football so I don't know the guy's name, but he meant the Steel Curtain and for some reason he said 'finally' like he was waiting for the guy to die. Good stuff, he's going to hear that for a while.

SOXPHILE
12-29-2005, 10:28 AM
I like him, much better than Jesse Rogers. I thought he was a Cubs fan too, but all the better if he's a Sox fan.

I don't know if he does more than updates right now, I don't listen that much lately, but I did hear his little thing during Boers and Bernstein mixing up The Iron Curtain and the Steel Curtain. "Finally, <insert name> died, the creator of the Iron Curtain..." I don't follow football so I don't know the guy's name, but he meant the Steel Curtain and for some reason he said 'finally' like he was waiting for the guy to die. Good stuff, he's going to hear that for a while.

Yeah, that was funny. He was talking about Bud Carson. He took it in stride, and laughed too. Unlike Mike Norths' pool boy, who would have stammered and tried to defend and justify what he said, no matter how wrong he was, instead of just owning up to it.

Hangar18
12-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Whew, glad I didnt post that. Wait a second here, I thought Brian Dolgin
was going to follow the SOX over to the Score 670 to do the Pre/Post game?

anewman35
12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Why are people so concerned if he's a Cubs fan or not? If he's on White Sox broadcasts and is at all professional, he'll talk mainly about the White Sox, isn't that what matters?

HotelWhiteSox
12-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Whew, glad I didnt post that. Wait a second here, I thought Brian Dolgin

Nope, he's staying with AM1000 (the station employs the pre/post guys). I read he was doing something on AM1000, maybe Notre Dame related? I've heard him do updates too

Madvora
12-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Holy crap! I used to work on a sports show with Rongey at ISU. That's crazy

He is from St. Louis and is a Cardinals fan

CHISOXFAN13
12-29-2005, 11:10 AM

He's a close friend who grew up in Granite City and attended ISU. He's a life long Cardinals fan who became a Sox fan when he started working for the Score. Chris was the first to congratulate me when the Sox finished off Houston. I'm thrilled for him and can tell you all that he has been studying White Sox history for quite some time. I think he'll handle the job well.

I don't know where people got the impression he was a Cubs fan.

slavko
12-29-2005, 11:12 AM
We can live with it. Nice guy, positive attitude, good radio voice, hope he can develop a little passion for the team. I would have preferred a long-time fan, but at least it's not the pair of jokers mentioned above.

Mickster
12-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Easy, Chris. Just asking if you are a Sox fan......... :smile:

ChiSoxLifer
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Why are people so concerned if he's a Cubs fan or not? If he's on White Sox broadcasts and is at all professional, he'll talk mainly about the White Sox, isn't that what matters?

Uh, noooo! Why give a cubs fan the pleasure of broadcasting the White Sox? Would you want a cubs fan to attend a World Series game at the expense of a White Sox fan? Why not let a White Sox fan live his/her dream?

C-Dawg
12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Wait a second here, I thought Brian Dolgin

Rats, I had just grown to like Dolgin, after initially not caring for him after the departure of Dave Wills.

I'm sure if Rongey gets the job, Bruce LevineLine will test his patience on Opening Day, by interrupting the show with "breaking news" about some Cub being signed (poor Dolgin sounded like he'd been knocked off his bicycle when Bruce did it to him).

Lip Man 1
12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Just one question.....who?

Thank you.

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
12-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Rats, I had just grown to like Dolgin, after initially not caring for him after the departure of Dave Wills.

I'm sure if Rongey gets the job, Bruce LevineLine will test his patience on Opening Day, by interrupting the show with "breaking news" about some Cub being signed (poor Dolgin sounded like he'd been knocked off his bicycle when Bruce did it to him).

That'll be George Offman, everything is moving to 670 AM, Bruce Levine and Dolgin are employed by AM 1000

irish rover
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
agreed, Offman is a poor man's Bruce too all coob all the time

"towering line drive"

what a joke

CHISOXFAN13
12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Just one question.....who?

Thank you.

Lip

It's the pre/postgame host, not the freeking play-by-play job. Did you or anyone else for that matter know of Dave Wills before he started with the Sox?

That's what I thought.

C-Dawg
12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Did you or anyone else for that matter know of Dave Wills before he started with the Sox?

That's what I thought.

No, we're just all terrified of change LOL.

:cool:

anewman35
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Uh, noooo! Why give a cubs fan the pleasure of broadcasting the White Sox? Would you want a cubs fan to attend a World Series game at the expense of a White Sox fan? Why not let a White Sox fan live his/her dream?

I really couldn't care less if the pre/post game host is "living his dream", as long as they are good at what they do. 95% of the people currently connected with the White Sox (players, broadcasters, coaches, etc.) did not grow up as a White Sox fan, does that mean they shouldn't be connected with the team now?

chaerulez
12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
He's a close friend who grew up in Granite City and attended ISU. He's a life long Cardinals fan who became a Sox fan when he started working for the Score. Chris was the first to congratulate me when the Sox finished off Houston. I'm thrilled for him and can tell you all that he has been studying White Sox history for quite some time. I think he'll handle the job well.

I don't know where people got the impression he was a Cubs fan.

I never thought he came off as a Cub fan either. Maybe they heard him say something critical about the Sox and automatically you are a Sox hater or Cubs fan...

TornLabrum
12-29-2005, 03:21 PM
It's the pre/postgame host, not the freeking play-by-play job. Did you or anyone else for that matter know of Dave Wills before he started with the Sox?

That's what I thought.

As a matter of fact, I did. I first met him when he was doing play-by-play for the Kane County Cougars.

CHISOXFAN13
12-29-2005, 03:33 PM
As a matter of fact, I did. I first met him when he was doing play-by-play for the Kane County Cougars.

I should have worded that differently, I guess. I'm sure some were familiar with Wills, but he wasn't exactly a household name when he took the Sox gig. Same goes for Chris.

Regardless of who got this job, people were going to complain. I guess I should know better by now.

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
I'll clarify my earlier comment about Rongey seeming like he was a Cubs fan.

I just never got the impression that he cared about the Sox or Sox fans in his various roles at the Score; he always seemed to distance himself when discussing them, almost clinically in his approach. I can't recall the exact segments I'm thinking of, but a few years ago I remember thinking "Shut up, Cub fan" while listening to him.

The fact that he's a Cardinals fan first and foremost probably explains this. I naturally assumed that he was a Cubs fan, because, 99% of Score guys are either one or the other.

hose
12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Nope, he's staying with AM1000 (the station employs the pre/post guys). I read he was doing something on AM1000, maybe Notre Dame related? I've heard him do updates too

Les Grobstein does the pre and post game for Notre Dame on WLS-890 and btw he does an excellent job.

I really enjoyed Dolgin as he gained more experience doing the Sox games. The one thing he has trouble doing is cutting callers off and lets them ramble on a bit to much.

My all time favorite pre and post Sox hosts were Melton and Wills.

wdelaney72
12-29-2005, 07:07 PM
With the exception of Will's obsession / hatred for the North Side team, I loved Dave Wills. He was OBVIOUSLY a Sox fan and had a great radio voice. while I didn't care for Bryan Dolgin at first, he did improve and I've grown to like. I will miss him and his "Disco Inferno Red South Oak Dodge Neon".

Rongey will be fine. Add me to the list of people who are glad it won't be Jesse Rogers. Jesse seems like a nice guy, but he's not a very engaging radio personality.

Viva Medias B's
12-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I was thinking WSCR was grooming Lou Canellis for the pre/post job. Isn't Lou a big Sox fan?

Bobbo35
12-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Ya, but is he going to have that fan perspective that Willsy had?

slavko
12-30-2005, 12:30 AM
I was thinking WSCR was grooming Lou Canellis for the pre/post job. Isn't Lou a big Sox fan?

Last time I heard, Lou's uncle Nick owned a piece of the team. Seriously.

CLR01
12-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Wow....looks like I will continue to not listen to the pre/post game shows on the score.

thepaulbowski
12-30-2005, 08:31 AM

Yes, he his a Sox fan.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-30-2005, 12:50 PM

No! You new here :D: ?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-31-2005, 05:05 PM
I didn't see this reported anywhere yet, but I found this out during the Boers & Bernstein (Abbatacola & Goff) Show on Friday.

WSCR has handed the Pre- and Post-Game Show duties to Chris Rongey. He is a St. Louis Cardinals fan that said he will be a big Sox fan all year long except when the Sox play the Cardinals in inter-league play this season. Boy, sure does feel good to have our Pre and Post game guy cheering for us in 159 games this regular searon.

ChiSoxRowand
12-31-2005, 05:51 PM
I remember late in the 2004 season Rongey made a comment like this while doing the updates-"and now for the White Sox, I forgot about them." I think that's why some people think he's a Cub fan. Here is the thread about it. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40358)