PDA

View Full Version : How did you first find WSI?

SOecks
12-29-2005, 09:14 AM
A buddy of mine emailed all our Sox and Cub friends a bunch of posts from the original "You Write Tomorrow's Cubune Headline" thread and I thought it was hilarious. So naturally I came here to see what this site was all about and found a great place to lurk and/or talk Sox baseball.

Even better was when I found the WSI Chat in early August. Nothing adds to the natural drama of baseball than being in a chat room with a bunch of different people, dark clouds, and regular fans predicting what is going to happen next and what Ozzie should do. How did you come to be here at WSI?

skottyj242
12-29-2005, 09:20 AM
A friend of mine works baggage claim at the ariport and overheard Kenny Williams talking about this site so that's why I joined up.

Iguana775
12-29-2005, 09:21 AM
i was at WSI WAY back in the day when they were on rivals.

SOecks
12-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Rivals?

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
I believe I found this site through Yahoo. It was a 3 or 4 years ago. I was just looking for White Sox sites besides WhiteSox.com and I found this and another site called Sox Addict which did not appear to be too active and I think is long gone now. I used to come here and read the columns on the front page for a long time before I really started checking out the message board.

Crede_Fan
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Found it when someone posted the link on the Sox Pride Blog. Best site I've found in a long time!

ChiFabulous1
12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/home.htm

Iguana775
12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Rivals?

rivals was a sports network. it went away but came back.

Fred Manrique
12-29-2005, 09:27 AM
I think I heard Dahlgren mention it in a post game one Sunday and I checked it out.

manders_01
12-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Desperately searching the internet for a message board so I could contact fans in Denver to watch the play-offs with. Been coming back ever since.

BTW - glad this thread was started, I had no idea there was a chat room on here! :D:

doctor30th
12-29-2005, 09:30 AM
After having a fight with a whole bunch of posters on ESPN message boards about how they thought Pookey Reese was a better player than Ray Durham; A Wise poster on there named Davers referred me to this sight. Who knew after all the arguments he and I had on there that he'd actually point me here.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 09:36 AM
For many years I lived a lonely existence as a Sox fan far away in another country. Then Al Gore created the Internet. Then George Bova created WSI. Then one day I did a google search and found this place. It was less a less sordid way of meeting like-minded people than the dating sites. My life is complete now.

scottjanssens
12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
I sat next to ChiSoxFanatic during Brandon McCarthy's home debut.

mpshans
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
My brother in law is Dr. Crawdad

He has Sox on the brain all the time and 4,000 posts since Nov 01 to boot

Thats a lot of time on this site. Not wasted time, just time

jshanahanjr
12-29-2005, 09:45 AM
I think WSI had a booth 6 or 7 years ago at Soxfest and were handing out info.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Buddy of mine told me about the site regarding the Armour Park article on the main page. Joined that same day after reading the message boards for 3 hours.

Erik The Red
12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I used the google.

SoXPriDe33
12-29-2005, 09:52 AM
I remember searching on google for a White Sox bias site because I was sick of ESPN giving no love to the White Sox while they dominated the MLB, and I found WSI...the best baseball site I've ever found.

PAPChiSox729
12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Someone on the AOL Message Boards mentioned WSI. I lurked for a few months but then finally decided to join last January.

soxfantim
12-29-2005, 09:56 AM
If I recall, I believe it was on a link at the old sox web site before MLB took things over.

LongLiveFisk
12-29-2005, 10:14 AM
I just went to Yahoo.com and typed something like "White Sox fan site", because I was really sick of the trolling at mlb.com.

Hangar18
12-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I met the founder and spiritual leader of this site, PHG, at SOXFEST way back when .........

ElevenUp
12-29-2005, 10:44 AM
When KW signed Iguchi, I did a Google search to learn more about the guy and stumbled upon the best fan website ever ceated.

The Wall
12-29-2005, 10:48 AM
I heard about WSI from (the one man we all want to replace John Rooney) Dave Wills.

Here's to Dave :gulp:

Please come backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk atleast to do UIC Flames games

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
ESPN (a/k/a the Troll Board) - spring/summer of 2000

then

Rivals.com - summer 2000

then

WSI - July 2001

tebman
12-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I was trolling for info and pictures of Old Comiskey some years ago and found the "Memories of Old Comiskey Park" pages on the site. Found the message boards some time later and lurked for nearly a year before registering.

The rest, as they say, is history. This site is head and shoulders above other common-interest boards, and for that we owe a tip o' the cap to the mods, whose diligence and good humor make it work.

Hangar18
12-29-2005, 10:58 AM
I heard about WSI from (the one man we all want to replace John Rooney) Dave Wills.

Here's to Dave :gulp:

I think its cool that Wills was lurking here for a while, and knows most of the posters by screen-name :cool:

spawn
12-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I did a search on the battle between Reinsdorf and the Moron, and happened across an article from here regarding it.

fledgedrallycap
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I remember searching on google for a White Sox bias site because I was sick of ESPN giving no love to the White Sox while they dominated the MLB, and I found WSI...the best baseball site I've ever found.

Very similar, about 3-4 years ago I was in a corporate training course downtown which was boring as hell; but we did have an internet connection. Thus, I decided to search for White Sox news since it was during the winter and I'm sure hot stove news was on my brain and came across WhiteSoxInterace.com and has been a daily staple to at least paruse the threads ever since.

chisoxmike
12-29-2005, 11:09 AM
It was a match made in heaven...

I think I found it from a cubs suck web site someone told me about back in the day.

There was a FAQ part and one of the questions went something like "Yo, why don't you have a dope White Sox site?" The answer was "We do." with the link...

History was made.

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Some friends told me about it in 2001.
I've been here ever since.Love the site and
all the posts and articles.:cool: :cool:

MisterB
12-29-2005, 11:28 AM
I used to peruse the Sox newsgroup on usenet. In early '02 someone (DrCrawdad, IIRC) posted that this was a great Sox website. He was right. :thumbsup:

DenverSock
12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
I was searching for some information on the Sox early in the 2005 season, came up with a link to here. IIRC, Joh Kass column, signed up but lurked for a while.
:lurkers

Also signed up at SoxTalk but never did any thing there.

:thumbsup:

The Dude
12-29-2005, 11:37 AM
A friend of mine Konerko05 sent me some funny KingXerxes hawk parodys early in 2002 and I instantly was a lurker and then eventually member. Thanks dodge!:redneck

lumpyspun
12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I was deployed to Iraq and missed the entire 2004 season (I watched about 4 ESPN televised games on Armed Forces Network). When I got back I was a bit out of touch with the goings on of the team and did a Google search to find any and all information before opening day. I love when you can pinpoint the beginning of an addiction down to a single moment in time.

Cubsuck_a_lot
12-29-2005, 11:44 AM
i was listening to a game on the radio early in the '04 season when rooney started fawning about this "totally biased" SOX website, and were laughing about some comments and how hard-core the members were. i checked it out later when i was searching for info on the team and haven't turned back since. i dont post much, but reading the articles and the posts are enough to keep me informed and entertained throughout the workday.

Dan Mega
12-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Found it through a web search. I was having an argument with a Cubs fan at work who was convinced that Kerry Wood had multiple 20 game winning seasons.:o:

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Found it through a web search. I was having an argument with a Cubs fan at work who was convinced that Kerry Wood had multiple 20 game winning seasons.:o:

If by "multiple" he meant "0," he would have been right.

:o:

irish rover
12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
well he could be right also if he is talking about simulated games

HomeFish
12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I heard Dave Wills mention it on the post-game show.

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 12:11 PM
well he could be right also if he is talking about simulated games

If baseball gave out Cy Youngs for "simulated games",
Wood and Prior would win every year,hands down.:D:

goofymsfan
12-29-2005, 12:14 PM
I've been a member of the M's board since 2000 back when it was not controled by MLB. I follow Scotty to what ever team he ends up on and got tired of all of the trolling that goes on on the MLB boards. The past two years I had found an independant Brewers site that I really enjoyed. Then when Scotty became a Sox I had to resort to the MLB site until someone mentioned this site. I've been here since then :D: , even after I was thought to be a troll. :o:

I've found this to be a very nice place to talk baseball, even non-Sox baseball and spend more time here than I do on the M's site.

Hendu
12-29-2005, 12:31 PM
I originally came across WSI in 2003 when the deal was announced with US Cellular. I was trying to find more details on the proposed renovations of the ballpark, and my friend (who isn't a member) sent me a link to the site.

I immediately bookmarked WSI and came here for breaking news and rumors re trades & acquisitions. Finally, last May I decided to register and start contributing.

RowanDye
12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
For many years I lived a lonely existence as a Sox fan far away in another country. Then Al Gore created the Internet. Then George Bova created WSI. Then one day I did a google search and found this place. It was less a less sordid way of meeting like-minded people than the dating sites. My life is complete now.

:roflmao: Al Gore...

I found the site through the message boards on the White Sox MLB site. Great info, discussion, conspiracy theory, etc. and as mentioned the chatroom is fun during games

soxgirl98
12-29-2005, 12:43 PM
My husband (pinwheels3530) would be on this site for hours at a time so I decided to check out what's the big deal needless to say I've been hooked ever since. I'm not big on posting but I love to read what's going from all the true fans!

AZChiSoxFan
12-29-2005, 12:46 PM
A friend of mine works baggage claim at the ariport and overheard Kenny Williams talking about this site so that's why I joined up.

CLASSIC!

Palehose13
12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I was a regular on the whitesox.com messsage board (WinUgly was my name there). A lot of the regulars started leaving because of the trolls and they either went here or to soxtalk. I checked out both and decided that I liked it here. :D:

skobabe8
12-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I sat next to ChiSoxFanatic during Brandon McCarthy's home debut.

I have personally seen ChiSoxFanatic spread the word.

I stumbled across WSI desperate for baseball during spring training of '04. Tis' was the most beautiful site these eyes have ever seen.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-29-2005, 01:00 PM
co-worker mentioned it

skobabe8
12-29-2005, 01:02 PM
co-worker mentioned it

Who's your co-worker, if you dont mind me asking?

SoxSpeed22
12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
After finding out about 'Cubs suck' sites, I figured that wasn't for me, after one of the users there mentioned this site making an outstanding ode to the '04 Cubs, I decided to check this place out, I liked it and joined in January of '05 and have liked it since.

PicktoCLick72
12-29-2005, 01:05 PM
I remember finding it through facebook somehow. It was posted on one of the sox fan groups I was in.

soxinem1
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
My brother's bro-in-law mentioned it to me years ago, he used to always send me these knee deep comments which sounded like conversations we had, and since we are both cub haters too it was good to go to a 100% pro-Sox site.

But once Paulie re-signed and it became obvious Big Frank was gone, I felt it was time to let my feelings known to true Sox fans, as I know most of them felt the same way I did. It was then I made my first posting.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Sick of the trolls at yahoo, I knew a better White Sox message board was out there somewhere (I know you're out there somewhere). Googled White Sox message board last offseason and here I am. And I lived happily ever after. The End.

MsSoxVixen22
12-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I think I first came across WSI when I did a search for White Sox wallpapers. Sounds kinda stupid I know. WSI came up and when I found this site I was like WOO-HOO! I signed up the same day and I've been hooked ever since!

IronFisk
12-29-2005, 01:46 PM
My memory doesn't always serve me well, but I'm pretty sure I signed up in 1999, when this site was in it's early stages. I found it through a web search on metacrawler - a nice site before google took off. That was before rivals, etc. I remember vividly hanging on this site through the 2000 season and the division title. I was under another name, which was being confused with someone else, so I changed it in 2002.

Those "rivals" days weren't that good. The format was boilerplate for all teams, so nothing unique. I know it was done to get some more server space, but I'm happy they were able to do this, and retain WSI's unique "feeling".

batmanZoSo
12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I heard about it in the summer of 2001 through people at the official site message boards where I posted for a few years before coming here. I would just lurk occasionally at first, but when the MLB boards turned to crap I just quit going there and came here.

chisoxfanatic
12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
After MLB took over all teams' websites (taking away their individuality in the process :angry: ), someone posted a link to this site on the message board at chisox.com. I came over immediately, as I did not wanna have to deal with those cookie-cutter boards. I like that WSI is not part of a message board "ring," plus the baseball talk over here is MUCH more intelligent.

Here's to WSI!

Kuzman
12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
My Old Geography teacher in high school. Bout 3 or 4 years ago he gave me a link to this place. Been addicted ever since.

dpbyron
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I found it right before it went to Rivals. I found it the day after the "Glorious Sweep" of that other team in 1999.

The thing I remember the most about Rivals was the trolls from the Cubs board (CubSteve?) and some trolls from the Indians board.

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM

then

Rivals.com - summer 2000

then

WSI - July 2001

Same here.

I have to thank FWC for being the first one to find the site on Rivals and saving us all from the troll board. :cool:

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Those "rivals" days weren't that good. The format was boilerplate for all teams, so nothing unique. I know it was done to get some more server space, but I'm happy they were able to do this, and retain WSI's unique "feeling".

Compared to what else was out there at the time, the Rivals days were pretty damn good. I think we all loved the fact that we were safe from trolls.

Especially Supertroll. :o:

kittle42
12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
My cousin overheard Kenny Williams discussing WSI on his cell phone at O'Hare.

dpbyron
12-29-2005, 02:34 PM
My cousin overheard Kenny Williams discussing WSI on his cell phone at O'Hare.

:o: Hmmm.... Is he Otis? :cool:

leens01
12-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I was at Sox Fest in 2002 and WSI was handing out cards. I would look on here to find out what the reaction of fans was to some of the news, but when I tried to sign up, it wouldn't let me for some reason. Then, this season it finally worked for me! I was glad to find Sox fans to talk to, even though I don't post that often, because all of my friends are Cub fans. We have just learned to disagree.

TheKittle
12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I did a search for bitter, angry, jealous, White Sox fans and WSI came up.

Palehose13
12-29-2005, 02:54 PM
:o: Hmmm.... Is he Otis? :cool:

No. He's Tony.

whitesoxfan1986
12-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I found the site in march after I had recently joined a Bears board to talk about the upcoming NFL draft. I thought that if there was a board to talk about Da Bears then there had to be a board to talk about the White Sox. I was motivated to find a Sox site after getting crap from the globs of Flub fans in my relative area. I wanted to talk intelligent baseball with other Sox fans, instead of arguing with delusional Flub fans. There are very few Sox fans that I know personally, but a lot of people I know root for the sCrUBS

TornLabrum
12-29-2005, 03:12 PM
I was here before the Rivals days when the closest thing to a message board seemed to be "rate the Comiskey Park food." I actually contributed a few items to that.

I got a whole lot more active from posting a little while after the ESPN bunch came over and really got the message boards going.

Oh, and for the person who would like Dave Wills to do UIC Flames games: He is...on TV...Comcast Sports Net.

Harry Chappas
12-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Steve Dahl mentioned that his kid was on here all of the time. Since that time, I've been a frequent visitor, but rarely post.

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 03:32 PM
I really don't remember. I either googled or read about it somewhere. But finding it was like finding water after wandering for months in the desert! :D:

woodenleg
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I went to WSI a bunch of times when I wanted to read the stories on Old Comiskey, Sox history, and look at the great pictures. I thought it was the best-looking team site on the 'net, and chock full of things I could actually remember. Great to refresh my memory esp. with regard to old players and seasons. It was great because so many of my friends are not from the south side and don't remember the old teams. I remember finding that page on Falstaff - the beer of champions, and I knew it was the real deal!

It took a while before I realized they had a message board. I joined when we were all fuming about the collapse of the 2003 season - I needed to commiserate.

Realist
12-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Living with your folks... living with your folks... the beginning of the end... drab, dead yesterdays shutting out beautiful tomorrows... hideous, stumbling footsteps creaking along the misty corridors of time... and in those corridors I see figures... straaange figures... weeeird figures: Steel 186, Anaconda 74, American Can 138, Google White Sox fan sites.

Chisox003
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
A friend of mine told me about it, last year on December 20th, 2004

Why do I remember this, I don't know. But I joined that same day. I really didn't try to hard to think of a creative name, because I thought I would either A)Lose interest quickly, or B)Get banned before I had a chance to lose interest. In fact, a few of my first posts (About the first 500 or so :redface: ) are really, really dumb.

Oh well. Here we are a year after I joined, and following our first championship in 88 years. Coincidence? I think not.

mccoydp
12-29-2005, 03:58 PM
I Googled it in 2003, lurked for over a year, then registered.

ChiSoxGirl
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
I heard about it from tstrike2000 a few years ago and lurked for a long time. I remember laughing hysterically at the picture I used to see in the game recaps of Manuel sitting on the chair that was on fire, which almost got me to register. Then I went to SoxFest last year and saw a bunch of people in the Hyatt bar with what looked like usernames on name tags, and it looked like they were having a great time. Putting the two together, I registered just a couple days after SoxFest in January. Can't wait to hang out with you guys at the Hyatt bar next month!

TornLabrum
12-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I heard about it from tstrike2000 a few years ago and lurked for a long time. I remember laughing hysterically at the picture I used to see in the game recaps of Manuel sitting on the chair that was on fire, which almost got me to register. Then I went to SoxFest last year and saw a bunch of people in the Hyatt bar with what looked like usernames on name tags, and it looked like they were having a great time. Putting the two together, I registered just a couple days after SoxFest in January. Can't wait to hang out with you guys at the Hyatt bar next month!

Maybe this year I won't have a cold and will feel like heading down to the bar rather than taking room service (although the chicken soup is great) and crashing early.

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 04:16 PM
In fact, a few of my first posts (About the first 500 or so :redface: ) are really, really dumb.

Don't worry. Most of mine are the same way. (including this one) :D:

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Pretty simple. I just Googled "hot new band" and "sweet licks" and, voila, WSI!

SOecks
12-29-2005, 04:19 PM
I'd just like to change my username but too much hassle. I rushed into making it because I wanted to post and don't think it makes much sense to anyone else. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 04:20 PM

I remember seeing you at the last 2 or 3 Soxfests. I think it's your hair color that really makes you stand out. I also remember you at the bar last year and wondering if you were a member or not.

It's kind of funny when you've been to a few Soxfests in a row you start to see the same people ever year. I'm betting that taller guy with the silver hair will be there again this year. Ever see him?

There's also one other guy I see all the time that seems to always be wearing a Sox home jersey tucked into a pair of blue jeans. He's usually with a girl that I can't tell if it's his daughter, girlfriend or wife.

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Pretty simple. I just Googled "hot new band" and "sweet licks" and, voila, WSI!

Man, you've really got to read ALL the threads on this site to keep up with the inside jokes...

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Maybe this year I won't have a cold and will feel like heading down to the bar rather than taking room service (although the chicken soup is great) and crashing early.

I wondered why you weren't there...

ChiSoxGirl
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM

You had a cold... I had a sinus & upper respiratory infection! But... I was not about to let that stop me from having a good time! :cool: Good to know the Hyatt's chicken soup is good, though!

ChiSoxGirl
12-29-2005, 04:27 PM
I remember seeing you at the last 2 or 3 Soxfests. I think it's your hair color that really makes you stand out. I also remember you at the bar last year and wondering if you were a member or not.

It's kind of funny when you've been to a few Soxfests in a row you start to see the same people ever year. I'm betting that taller guy with the silver hair will be there again this year. Ever see him?

There's also one other guy I see all the time that seems to always be wearing a Sox home jersey tucked into a pair of blue jeans. He's usually with a girl that I can't tell if it's his daughter, girlfriend or wife.

You've seen me at the last few SoxFests? Chances are, I've seen you, but just didn't know it. I know I've seen Hal before- usually at the WCSF table downstairs. My hair color makes me stand out, huh? I've heard that before....

I see that guy with the silver hair EVERYWHERE!!!!! Word on the street is that he's some kind of collector, but he always manages to get himself in front of me in line, no matter what line I'm in! :rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
12-29-2005, 04:31 PM
You've seen me at the last few SoxFests? Chances are, I've seen you, but just didn't know it. I know I've seen Hal before- usually at the WCSF table downstairs. My hair color makes me stand out, huh? I've heard that before....

I see that guy with the silver hair EVERYWHERE!!!!! Word on the street is that he's some kind of collector, but he always manages to get himself in front of me in line, no matter what line I'm in! :rolleyes:

My Ncorgbl sense is tingling...:?:

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Why would a part owner of the White Sox have to stand in line?

ChiSoxGirl
12-29-2005, 04:37 PM

HUH??? :?:

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM

My picture is in a couple of the core of the core photos in the gallery. I'll say something if/when I see you this year.

I don't know if the guy is a collector or not because I usually don't see him with a backpack full of stuff. I hate the people that take up 10 square feet while in line because they have to go through their stuff to figure out what they want to get signed. You just know they're getting this stuff signed and then selling it...

illini81887
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
I think i did a google search for whitesox message boards or Scout.com whitesox section forum talked about WSI

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I cannot believe this thread. I was just thinking a few minutes ago why no one has ever started a thread about finding WSI. At least one that I ever saw. Then I check back in and almost dropped when I saw this.

I was at Soxfest and WSI had a booth. I stopped and talked to a fellow(I think it was George) and a young man behind the table and they were going back and forth about the Royce Clayton or Jose V. debate. Who should be playing? They asked for my vote. Of course, I voted for The Stashe!
When I was talking to George(I think) he had asked if I had been to the site and I had indeed already been on but never to the message boards. He was surprised. I use to just go and read the articles and participate in the polls on the front page.
Well, 20,000 hits later, here I am. :gulp:

TornLabrum
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
You had a cold... I had a sinus & upper respiratory infection! But... I was not about to let that stop me from having a good time! :cool: Good to know the Hyatt's chicken soup is good, though!

Well, after sitting in the booth most of the day and hearing my voice fade to almost nothing, I thought discretion was the better part of valor.

As for the chicken soup you get from room service, you get both a matzoh ball and a kreplach.

WinningUgly!
12-29-2005, 04:49 PM
It's all West's fault. :D:

Palehose13
12-29-2005, 04:50 PM

:roflmao:

Daver
12-29-2005, 05:00 PM
You can all blame Voodoo for steering me to WSI when it was still part of Rivals, if not for that you would not be bored to tears by whatever I post.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Most importantly, does M & M Guy go to Soxfest?

MasQbellesa
12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Google. 'nuf said. You'll find anything there!

batmanZoSo
12-29-2005, 05:12 PM

We could make a 10 page thread on Ncorgbl-related Chuck Norris jokes. All in teal. Who's with me?! :cool:

hose
12-29-2005, 05:22 PM
WSI had a booth at Sox Fest

Then Al Gore created the Internet. Then George Bova created WSI....:rolling:

The Racehorse
12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I can't remember exactly... most likely a result of a google search on the 'White Sox' back in 2002.

SoxEd
12-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Started rooting for the Sox in mid-2003.

Got heartily sick of the superfluity of trolls on the Official board in about one week.
Googled 'Promised Land'.
Found WSI, lurked for a bit, and then took the plunge.

Have been subjecting you to the diseased ramblings of an ill-informed foreign mind ever since.
(Sorry.)

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I found the WSI Old Comiskey tour on a google search and eventually found the forum. I lurked for about a month and then I finally registered to whine about obnoxious Yankee fans in attendance at a White Sox vs Yankees game. :smile:

PKalltheway
12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Found it under yahoo. I was looking for pictures of Old Comiskey for a school project and I found that this site had great pictures of Old Comiskey. I went surfing on the site a little more, found that it was pretty cool (considering that I was a Sox fan and had really nobody to share my opinions with about the White Sox) and bookmarked it!

johnny_mostil
12-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I found it because I've known George and TL through the WHITESOX mailing list for about ten years. I remember the day I got an email telling me it was going to start up...

JohnBasedowYoda
12-29-2005, 06:54 PM
i think i actually heard about it on a pre or post game with dave wills.

but i can't really remember

TheDarkGundam
12-29-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/home.htm
Same here.

doublem23
12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Way back in the old high school days, I was sitting in some asinine computer class (I think we were learning how to use MS Word), so naturally rather than do the assigned work, I just messed around on the internet. Found the old site (pre-Rivals, man), and I lurked a little bit during the Rivals days, but didn't officially join until WSI disaffiliated itself from the Rivals network.

Wow, it probably has been 6 years now.

MarySwiss
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Started rooting for the Sox in mid-2003.

Got heartily sick of the superfluity of trolls on the Official board in about one week.
Googled 'Promised Land'.
Found WSI, lurked for a bit, and then took the plunge.

Have been subjecting you to the diseased ramblings of an ill-informed foreign mind ever since.
(Sorry.)

Oh, please! There is nothing diseased about a guy who roots for the White Sox.

Love ya!

kevin57
12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
I found out about WSI at this years "Core of the Core" game in September.

I had been posting at Soxtalk and bought a ticket for that game through them, when all of a sudden there were all these WSI guys. So, I've doubled my fun since then. :tongue:

jenn2080
12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
I googled something and found it. It was love at first site

gosox3072
12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
I heard about it in the summer of 2001 through people at the official site message boards where I posted for a few years before coming here. I would just lurk occasionally at first, but when the MLB boards turned to crap I just quit going there and came here.

What he said:rolleyes:

I believe it was RedPinStripes that told me about WSI.....The boards at Chisox.com were decent untill MLB took them over. I lurked for a while i think it was b/c i had a hotmail mail address and WSI didnt take them for a while......I still dont post a lot but im here like every day THANK GOD FOR WSI!!!!!!

soxwon
12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
my friend wsoxmike59 told me about it.

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Way back in the old high school days, I was sitting in some asinine computer class (I think we were learning how to use MS Word), so naturally rather than do the assigned work, I just messed around on the internet. Found the old site (pre-Rivals, man), and I lurked a little bit during the Rivals days, but didn't officially join until WSI disaffiliated itself from the Rivals network.

Wow, it probably has been 6 years now.

Similar story for me. Knew someone who knew about the pre-Rivals site. Obviously I didn't sign up for many years after.

FireMariotti
12-29-2005, 09:54 PM
I think the main sox page used to have a link to this site. Im pretty sure thats how I found it. If you type in White Sox on google, chances are a majority of the links are connected to this website.

Jjav829
12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I heard Dave Wills mention it on the post-game show.

And thus began WSI's hatred of Dave Wills...

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 09:57 PM
And thus began WSI's hatred of Dave Wills...

:rolling:

FedEx227
12-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Looking up some Nellie Fox info for a paper I wrote 2 years ago about the 1959 White Sox.

Been here ever since.

Somebody told me about Soxtalk before this, but being a long member of many forums and seeing the stupidity and lack of rules over at SoxTalk didn't really attract me at all, so I didn't post at any sox site until I stumbled upon this bad-boy.

Hey, is there gonna be a book about this thread?

thomas35forever
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
I remember I originally found this site while looking for info on old Comiskey Park some time ago. I re-discovered the site back in May while looking for more Sox sites. I explored it and I became hooked almost immediately. It's been in my favorites on AOL ever since.

Bobbo35
12-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I found out about WSI when I was in Minneapolis watching the Sox maul the twinkies this past season. I was going to the bathroom when I ran into Hangar and he told me to post on WSI.

StillMissOzzie
12-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I did a Google on something White Sox related several years ago. I lurked for a while, then signed on. Now I'm hooked!

SMO
:bandance:

Iwritecode
12-29-2005, 11:51 PM
I was going to the bathroom when I ran into Hangar and he told me to post on WSI.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all...

SpartanSoxFan
12-30-2005, 12:00 AM
www.google.com

slavko
12-30-2005, 12:34 AM

Think of it as Time Well Wasted.

Ron Rapoport mentioned WSI in a Sun-Times column and the rest is The History of Time Well Wasted.

StockdaleForVeep
12-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Whitesox.com banned html usage on the forums cuz of cub troll activity so u couldnt post pix or have sigs or anythin, that caused batman to flee here and i fell shortly after to cause more shenannigans

goofymsfan
12-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Whitesox.com banned html usage on the forums cuz of cub troll activity so u couldnt post pix or have sigs or anythin, that caused batman to flee here and i fell shortly after to cause more shenannigans

Thanks to those Cub trolls, they ruined all of the boards. The M's board Pre-MLB was cool...then the stupid cookie cutter *insert word of choice* came along and it's all gone down hill.

gowhitesox
12-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I was looking for a White Sox message board after the World Series and stumbled across this site in early November.

StockdaleForVeep
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Cause his close confidant Frank Thomas didnt have pull bein on the bench

I always envisioned a picture of him with his arm around Frank, but with a blue dot over his face to protect his identity, it would just fit his personality so well, and if ever talked, his voice would be dubbed by ricardo montelbon

"aye carumba!"

nebraskasox
12-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I was on Whitesox.com message boards and someone posted a messsage to the effect "check out this great Sox site." I checked it out and joined. Mostly I read the posts from other fans so I can keep tabs on what Sox fans are thinking. I have found the game threads are sometimes more up-to-the-minute than gameday on Sox.com. Even when gameday doesn't hang up, I usually check out the game thread for commentary.

delben91
12-30-2005, 04:13 PM

then

Rivals.com - summer 2000

then

WSI - July 2001

Yep, me too. I was in that same wave with cheeses and IWriteCode. But I was told of WSI by the famous DagoBeef. (Yeah, I've been around, contributing nothing, for THAT LONG).

buehrle4cy05
12-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I did a Google search looking for information on the Sox pursuit of Tadahito Iguchi in January, and this site was one of the first to come up. I joined on my birthday.

darklord23
12-30-2005, 04:38 PM
ChiWhiteSox1337 told me about this site, and I am glad he did. :D:

NSSoxFan
12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
You can all blame Voodoo for steering me to WSI when it was still part of Rivals, if not for that you would not be bored to tears by whatever I post.

Daver, you have been my favorite poster going on six years now...

Chitown Hitmen
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I jus searched for "Whitesox Forums", and man am I glad that I found this site.

Daver
12-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Daver, you have been my favorite poster going on six years now...

You have rather low expectations.

:)

DaleJRFan
12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
My dad knows the dude who started this little web site... :redneck

TornLabrum
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
My dad knows the dude who started this little web site... :redneck

Then he knows my wife's cousin!

flo-B-flo
12-31-2005, 12:20 AM
John Kass
Roeper
Rappaport
reading

shbart
12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
I use to post on the White Sox newsgroup (along with Cavatica & Crawdad) and when it strated to die, I found WSI.

Soxfanspcu11
12-31-2005, 01:40 AM
I had my full of the Moronotti and Woody Paige types of the "journalism" world constantly ripping the Sox so I began to search the net for Sox "fan sites" where I could vent my anger about these types and I ran into WSI.

As you can tell, I joined this site right about the time the Sox went into their August slump, and thank god I found it. It was great to finally be around Sox fans and be at a place where I could finally find fans who were as dedicated and obsessed as I was.

My only regret is that I did not find it earlier. The fact that my "join" date of "August 2005" is displayed every time I post slightly upsets me because it makes me feel that some people may believe that I am a fair-weather or bandwagon type of fan, who only joined when the Sox were winning. But the truth is, I am 22 years old, been a Sox fan since 1990, and attended my first game in September 1991. Once I saw my first "live" game, I was hooked.

In 1994, my parents bought space on the scoreboard for my birthday and although it sounds silly, that cemented, without a doubt my allegiance to the southside. I was 11 years old at the time and it made my day, and I just knew at that time I would be a Sox fan forever.

I just wish I had known about this place during the Cubs magnificent run of '03, the taunts I had to endure during that time were brutal. Of course, when the inevitable collapse occurred, I had all the ammunition I needed.

But this site is seriously great, I don't go online that much, but after I check my email, I come here right away. Props to everyone who makes this site a reality! Thank you!

StockdaleForVeep
12-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Just curious, who is the longest member of the site thats NOT a mod\creator or here cuz of those reasons, like who came here out of the blue and been here for the longest. Hard to judge cuz i dont wanna have to check everyones profiles and post counts can be misleading, look at whats his face and his short lived tyrade on this site

Blueprint1
12-31-2005, 02:57 AM
Way back in the day on Rivals.com when i was posting about SIU basketball. I would just read the posts. Finally someone made me mad and I made a screen name. I also used to post back in the day around 1998 on the AOL Whitesox message board. Wow how did that sucK compared to this.

Railsplitter
12-31-2005, 08:37 AM
A link on Yahoo!

WinOrDyeTrying
12-31-2005, 08:53 AM
I think I just did a google search and found this place. It was back in the beginning of the 2001 season, I believe. I posted under some different names for a little bit. I mostly lurked untill this year, though. It sucks that I created this account this year, because it makes me look like a bandwagon fan. Oh well, Iv been a life long Sox fan (I am only 19, though). I know where my loyalties are :)

Glad I found this place though! :bandance:

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Way back in the day on Rivals.com when i was posting about SIU basketball. I would just read the posts. Finally someone made me mad and I made a screen name. I also used to post back in the day around 1998 on the AOL Whitesox message board. Wow how did that sucks compared to this.

Hey don't be so hard on BOBBYROSEBOWL (aka Aggravated White Sox Fan Bob from Lincoln Park). I just left the AOL group (where I was nsmf) this fall, and the only reason was because I don't have time for it and WSI. Same with Crawford's mailing list (except there some other circumstances made the decision to leave a lot easier).

TornLabrum
12-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Just curious, who is the longest member of the site thats NOT a mod\creator or here cuz of those reasons, like who came here out of the blue and been here for the longest. Hard to judge cuz i dont wanna have to check everyones profiles and post counts can be misleading, look at whats his face and his short lived tyrade on this site

I couldn't tell you what year it was, but it was in the pre-Rivals days. Most of the people there then were probably from Crawford's mailing list.

VenturaSoxFan23
12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Honestly I forgot how I found it, but I'm glad I did. :cool:

DieTrying79
12-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Did a web search in 2003, lurked here until June, 2005, when I took the blood oath and joined. Being a part of WSI really heightened my experience as a Sox fan during this amazing past season. I've also made some great friends here as well.

All Hail WSI!

1951Campbell
01-01-2006, 02:00 AM
I Googled a Sox fan site in '98, found the old site, and lurked for 5 years. Then I signed up.

Brian26
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
It's been so long I don't even remember. Somehow I stumbled across the old Rivals site in early 2000. Before that, I would occassionally read the AOL boards and rec.sport.baseball.whitesox.

Dibbs
01-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I used to visit the ESPN boards and never could stand them. A poster on that site said something alongs the lines of, "we all know the knowledgeable Sox fans are at WSI." I checked out this site and will never consider going anywhere else for White Sox news.

A. Cavatica
01-01-2006, 08:24 PM
I found it most entertaining. :D:

Andy T Clown
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I was trolling for info and pictures of Old Comiskey some years ago and found the "Memories of Old Comiskey Park" pages on the site. Found the message boards some time later and lurked for nearly a year before registering.

The rest, as they say, is history. This site is head and shoulders above other common-interest boards, and for that we owe a tip o' the cap to the mods, whose diligence and good humor make it work.

My story also. I used the old scoreboard pictures for wallpaper, but now I use World Series pictures.:D:

Whitesox029
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Google search!

MrRoboto83
01-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Dave Wills promoting the site on White Sox post game shows back in 2003, didnt join the message board till 2004.

tick53
01-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I heard about WSI from my brother. I didnt have a computer at the time, but as soon as I got one, WSI was my first venture in cyberspace. First (and
only) chatroom asso

Soxski71
01-02-2006, 05:33 PM
A buddy of mine told me about it back to wards the end of the '04 season. Been coming here ever since, but just signed up a few months ago to be able to post and take part of some of the discussions. I read it everytime I'm on the web.

Britt Burns
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Still go there, but WSI is always the first site I check in the morning. Doesn't hurt that there's only been good news since, oh, I don't know, last April?

pauliemyhero14
01-07-2006, 01:29 AM
the way i found wsi was one day i was playing poker online and i started talking to a guy who was a sox fan and he told me about this website. i have been on this website every day for the last 3 months and i finnally decided to become a member like 2 days ago.

Sox record when im in attendence: 13 - 4

sox post season record when im in attendence: 5 - 1

Thank you whitesox for the having the world series back in chicago

KW u da man!!!!

Jim Thome= 40 + homers, 100 + rbi's

2006 future world series champions!!!!!!:D: :) :cool: :bandance:

MadetoOrta
01-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I heard about WSI literally the day of Game 5 of the cubs/Marlins NLCS. The dialogue after Game 5 hooked me for life. I've been looking for a place like this. I especially appreciate the mods for keeping this a class operation. I love this place. Good night.

mccombe_35
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
For years I was posting at sportsline.com (cbs). I was one of the very few White Sox fans fighting the battle on a message board full of Yankee / Red Sox / Cubs fans. A fellow ChiSox fan (Sleep - i think he has been banned from here) told me about this place about a year ago. I don't post much, but spend time here every day.

ode to veeck
01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
west told me I had to sign up or he'd break my legs

Dan H
01-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I found WSI when it was about five pages long in 1998. Don't remember how, just remember finding it.

Deuce
01-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Maurice turned me on to WSI... so you have him to blame. :redneck

Deuce

Malgar 12
01-07-2006, 08:19 PM
websearch when I was bored a couple years ago.

DrCrawdad
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM

I had a power supply problem here at the Crawdad hole and the tiny (but mighty) iMac got whacked. It was down for two weeks. So I had to go cold-turkey on WSI and all things White Sox related on the internet.

Thankfully, I am survived.

:gulp:

...Speaking of the Crawdad hole, has anyone ever noticed my interactive Crawdad icon? Run your mouse pointer over the Crawdad icon and give it a click.

DrCrawdad
01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Think of it as Time Well Wasted.

Ron Rapoport mentioned WSI in a Sun-Times column and the rest is The History of Time Well Wasted.

"Time I have wasted on the way..." Very appropriate for me to sing that.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/music/david-crosby/david-crosby-mugshot.jpg

Guillen13
01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I did a Yahoo! search on the Chicago White Sox and found this great site. I am so happy that I did. See you at SoxFest! I'll be the one :gulp:!!

tick53
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
:pudge My Brother Heard It From A Friend Of His Whos Son Runs A Fishing Charter Service. He Took Carlton Fisk Out
On The Lake One Day.

I Searched It Right Away, And Have Been Here Ever Since.

Handicaporowski
01-26-2006, 06:44 AM
I found it doing a search for pictures of old Comiskey. It took me a while to discover the message boards.

ChiSoxFan7
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
My brother was surfing it and told me to check it out. Glad i did.:cool:

OkStateSox
01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I just found it on Google moments ago.

LaHerdiaGrande35
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I did a google search like alot of these guys. Turns out it was one of the best google searches I've ever done.

Sox Fiend
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Hello one and all,

I have been a lurker her for years but I feel now I should start posting. This is a great thread to start with. I found out about this site when I got tired of all the trolls on the White Sox news group. I was mainly talking to Indians fans in the late 90's. Back when they were unbearble to talk to.

They thought they would sell out the Jake forever! Ha! Seems they forgot about the crowds that were under 1,000 in the 80's too. Just like Cubs fans.

Proud of the Sox in 2005 and all of my life.

jamokes
01-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Google search also.........I was looking for an old Sox Supporter, Otis or Robert Emmett....is his name and ended up here. Great site with great people and a great team!!!:smile:

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 08:53 PM
A lot of people on here seem to have found this site through Google, heck I probably did as well, but whatever you do, don't "google" Google, it makes your house explode, at least according to Conan.

pagansoxfan
01-27-2006, 11:01 PM
shockingly, a buddy of mine who is a flub fan reccomended this site to me. the best favor anyone has ever done.