PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox remind me of...

JohnTucker0814
12-29-2005, 09:28 AM
The Atlanta Braves of the 90's. They built a solid franchise that was able to sustain winning for over a decade. The core of their team was Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. I think the Sox are building a team very similar, Buehrle, Garcia and Garland. They had very good hitters, but never a "superstar" on offense. They play a very team oriented game and have players playing "their role". I can't help but be very very excited for the next 5 years of White Sox Baseball. I've been a fan my entire life (30 years) and never thought I would actually see us win the series.

Do you guys see this similarity as well?

Dan Mega
12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
10 straight division titles would be nice, but none of it means anything to me without the rings.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-29-2005, 09:46 AM
The Sox remind me of..

World Series Champions looking to build a dominance not seen in this town for some time.

bighurt2719
12-29-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/fatalbert.gif
School in the summatime! Hey hey hey!

mweflen
12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
The Atlanta Braves of the 90's. They built a solid franchise that was able to sustain winning for over a decade. The core of their team was Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine. I think the Sox are building a team very similar, Buehrle, Garcia and Garland. They had very good hitters, but never a "superstar" on offense. They play a very team oriented game and have players playing "their role". I can't help but be very very excited for the next 5 years of White Sox Baseball. I've been a fan my entire life (30 years) and never thought I would actually see us win the series.

It's a bit of a leap, given our one straight years of dominance, but a nice bit of a leap to ponder :smile:

MERPER
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
MARK IT DOWN... Garcia will not be here past 2007 when his current deal runs out.... your future Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz is actually going to be Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy

mandmandm
12-29-2005, 04:37 PM
MARK IT DOWN... Garcia will not be here past 2007 when his current deal runs out.... your future Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz is actually going to be Buehrle, Garland, McCarthy

Ozzie is family, he has a tone of money, and I am guessing he will take a discount to stay a Sox player for the rest of his career. Unfortunately, Burehrle on the other hand...

SoxSpeed22
12-29-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/fatalbert.gif
School in the summatime! Hey hey hey!:dtroll:
Saying our team has no class.
If they can build a pitching core, this becomes a team that wins consistently and wins lots of World Series titles. And they remind me of the Anti-Bears of the 80's, making proper personnel moves in order to keep winning rather than keeping the same core and not replacing broken pieces.

batmanZoSo
12-29-2005, 05:37 PM

The Sox remind me more the 90s Yankees. The 90s Braves were more of a one-dimensional team that relied on the "big three" and the three-run homer. I liken them to the A's of a few years ago and possibly the 70s Oriole teams from what I know about them. The thing about the Braves and those A's teams is that (with '95 as the one exception) they couldn't get it done in the playoffs. Over the long season, that formula works out, but in a short series where runs are at a premium and opposing pitching is much better, it doesn't. The Yankees won with ease and no one could even touch them come playoff time. Every game would be close, but no series was a contest in the end with the Yankees either sweeping or surrendering maybe a game. Sounds a lot like the '05 Sox.

cwsfannick
12-29-2005, 05:40 PM

Kenny Williams has mentioned in the past he has great admiration for and I may butcher his name John Scherholz.