PDA

View Full Version : WBC-anyone going?

soxwon
12-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Ill be in orlando the final week of the WBC,
ill prob try to buy an individual game ticket from someone.
Staying at the Seralgo in Buena vista.
anyone else going?

illini81887
12-29-2005, 09:21 AM
I wouldnt waste my $ buying into this piece of **** put out by Bud

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I wouldnt waste my $ buying into this piece of **** put out by Bud

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Madvora
12-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I can't believe how many of you hate the WBC. What's wrong with it? I think it's cool as hell.
Are you just pissed that it's during spring training? I don't get it... what's so bad about watching a little extra baseball on TV?

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I can't believe how many of you hate the WBC. What's wrong with it? I think it's cool as hell.
Are you just pissed that it's during spring training? I don't get it... what's so bad about watching a little extra baseball on TV?

Do a search for the billion posts on it. But to summarize: Mike Piazza playing for Italy, mandatory pitch counts, and possible restrictions on innings played for position players = not the game of baseball. It's all about lining Unclue Bud's pockets.

SOXintheBURGH
12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm so indifferent towards the WBC. The way I figure, I get to watch awesome players play when normally I wouldn't. Yeah, if Buehrle gets injured I will commit murder. I get it.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2005, 01:20 PM
I won't waste my time watching one pitch, one at bat, one inning of that garbage.

Lip

HomeFish
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I might go just to anger Lip.

Chicken Dinner
12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Kind of funny that they can't tell you who's on the rosters but they can sell tickets.

SoxRox
12-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm with Madvora. The more baseball - the better.

I think it will be fun to watch. Especially if the Cubans play. I saw them play an exhibition against Baltimore at Camden Yards in 1999 and let me tell ya those guys can play ball.

-SoxRox

chaerulez
12-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Do a search for the billion posts on it. But to summarize: Mike Piazza playing for Italy, mandatory pitch counts, and possible restrictions on innings played for position players = not the game of baseball. It's all about lining Unclue Bud's pockets.

Add to the fact it's okay for him to play for Italy but it's a big deal if A-Rod wants to play for the DR. Then Cuba can't play because of politics. Puerto Rico now threatens to drop out as a host. And I'd like to point out the brackets/divisons are set up to basically ensure USA has an easy time to at least make it to the finals. Which from a business standpoint makes plently of sense, the most money will come from American citizens that spend it.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm with Madvora. The more baseball - the better.

I think it will be fun to watch. Especially if the Cubans play. I saw them play an exhibition against Baltimore at Camden Yards in 1999 and let me tell ya those guys can play ball.

-SoxRox
Then perhaps that's how an international competition should be organized. Perhaps have the World Series champs play the Japanese Champs, Cuban Nationals, etc. at the end of October, rather than having SOME MLB stars dispersed among their "national" teams while others do not play.

illini81887
12-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Kind of funny that they can't tell you who's on the rosters but they can sell tickets.
and they are also pretty expensive as well

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Add to the fact it's okay for him to play for Italy but it's a big deal if A-Rod wants to play for the DR. Then Cuba can't play because of politics. Puerto Rico now threatens to drop out as a host. And I'd like to point out the brackets/divisons are set up to basically ensure USA has an easy time to at least make it to the finals. Which from a business standpoint makes plently of sense, the most money will come from American citizens that spend it.

A-Rod simply used that as an excuse not to play. I applaud him for that. PR has already dropped out as a host. As an American terrotiry, they cannot host Cuba. It's a mess. Which is no surprise b/c Unclue Bud is in charge.

SoxRox
12-29-2005, 09:51 PM
There are a lot of great baseball players in the world that never make it into the US system of baseball. They are considered some of the best in their own countries. Why not give them the stage? I applaud the idea of the WBC and I am looking forward to seeing the talent that's out there.

Japan, Mexico, Italy, Cuba, Australia, China, etc... Bring 'em on!

Some of us here can appreciate a good ball player no matter where they come from or what uniform they wear.

-SoxRox

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Some of us here can appreciate a good ball player no matter where they come from or what uniform they wear.

-SoxRox

It's wrong of you to imply that those of us against the WBC do not appreciate good ball players.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2005, 10:36 PM
The potential effect this may have on the WHITE SOX far outweighs any 'made up' event that mearly genrates more money for Bud and his friends.

Buehrle, Garcia, Vasquez and Iguchi do not need to play one more inning then they have to especially for some made for TV exhibition that does nothing for their TEAM. The season is long enough (and there's a big difference getting the feel back on your curve ball on March 3rd then trying to actually throw the damn pitch with break against say Vlad Guerrero on March 3rd....a BIG friggin' difference.)

Lip

SoxRox
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Ilsox, I did not mean to disparage anyones appreciation of baseball. Just making a point for the "world view", I guess.

Lipman makes a good point about the readiness of the US players. Will they be more prone to injury? Will they press to keep up with teams that have been playing for months already? The seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere. The Australians might be finishing up their season come March.

-SoxRox

scope1200
12-30-2005, 12:51 AM
I will be at the semi-finals and finals in San Diego

:)

gowhitesox
12-30-2005, 10:23 AM
I'll be watching it on TV.