PDA

View Full Version : Sox coaches, future managers???

FireMariotti
12-29-2005, 12:28 AM
With all the accolades that have been graced upon the entire White Sox organization as a result of the WS championship, one group that I believe has not gotten enough recognition nationally or locally is the assistant coaches. Coop probably got the most recognition, and deservedly so, for the masterful job his pitchers did in the post-seasons Of course, they all played an integral role in bringing the title to the south side, any Sox fan will tell you that

Tim Raines did a helluva job improving the running habits of this team, and it shows in both the SB and Extra Base stat boxes.
Harold’s influence is not as noticeable since he’s always on the bench, but being Ozzie’s right hand man, he must have had some say in the managerial decisions Ozzie made.
Joey is by far one of the most underrated base coaches in the game (idk if base coaches are even rated). I like to think of him as the anti-Wendell Kim, aggressive minus the stupidity
Coop’s work speaks for itself.
Walker did an excellent job overhauling a couple guy’s swings, mainly Crede’s, and that paid off at the end.
Even the Caveman deserves accolades since his group was rock solid the entire season.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wanna lose any of these guys any time soon. But down the road, which of the above named do you see as having the greatest chance at becoming a major league manager.

Personally, my vote goes for Joey. IIRC, Ozzie himself once said that Joey was an even smarter baseball man than him. That’s credentials right there! He’s also got great baseball instincts, evidenced by his uncanny ability to get a beat on a ball and send a man home at the right time.

What do you guys think?

Banix12
12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
I don't know. I've seen plenty of instances were Cora was way too aggressive for his own good. Like just about 75% of the time he waived Pauly or AJ around third on a close play. But I don't mind really. I tend to prefer the basecoaches a bit more aggressive.

I'd say Cora is the most likely because he has managing experience. But I mostly think he is the most likely because I think Baines, Walker, Raines and Cooper have very little interest in becoming managers. Raines seems like the only one who would consider it really.