PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day (Year)??? 12/28

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
"I'm probably the only guy in Chicago who doesn't have the luxury of relishing in the sentimentality of what happened last season, the defeatist attitude that we'll always be Chicago's second team doesn't fly with me." -- Kenny Williams to the Chicago Tribune.

God I love that attitude!

Lip

QueerGirrl
12-28-2005, 06:07 PM
That is awesome!!! :gulp: :KW You rock brother!

Daver
12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
"I'm probably the only guy in Chicago who doesn't have the luxury of relishing in the sentimentality of what happened last season, the defeatist attitude that we'll always be Chicago's second team doesn't fly with me." -- Kenny Williams to the Chicago Tribune.

God I love that attitude!

Lip

I have been saying, on these very forums, for years, if Jerry would commit to building a winner, he would control the fanbase of the city. Chicago will back a winner, if the Sox even come close to repeating, it will reflect at the gate for years to come.

chisox77
12-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I love that attitude as well, because settling for second team status would have never resulted in a World Series Championship in the first place. The White Sox are on top of the Baseball World - why should we settle for second place in our home - we deserve a spot at the HEAD OF THE TABLE, AND WE WANT SECONDS ON EVERYTHING!!!

batmanZoSo
12-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I have been saying, on these very forums, for years, if Jerry would commit to building a winner, he would control the fanbase of the city. Chicago will back a winner, if the Sox even come close to repeating, it will reflect at the gate for years to come.

No doubt about it. This is not "just a cubs town," and it hasn't always been that way despite what most people are led to believe. The gates are already reflecting that Chicago will support a winner. And like you say, if we continue on a nice run--even if we don't win the big prize again, but have it within reach--the tides will turn in favor of the Sox.

Palehose13
12-28-2005, 06:28 PM
You gotta love Kenny. I really enjoy his interviews. He will say it like it us, but when asked about future moves will always state that he isn't going to say anything that might mess up any potential deals. He definitely has a pair.

Brian26
12-28-2005, 06:34 PM

I just mentioned this in the Garland thread. Everyone's giving KW major props now (and I'm not saying they are undeserved), but the underlying credit deserves to go to Reinsdorf for allowing the payroll increase. These type of signings have not been established practice for quite some time. These signings have kept the championship buzz going all winter, and this will translate to increased ticket sales and hopefully more revenue next year. Everything on paper is looking great. Hopefully the team gets off to a decent start, and all will be well.

downstairs
12-29-2005, 08:32 AM
I just mentioned this in the Garland thread. Everyone's giving KW major props now (and I'm not saying they are undeserved), but the underlying credit deserves to go to Reinsdorf for allowing the payroll increase. These type of signings have not been established practice for quite some time. These signings have kept the championship buzz going all winter, and this will translate to increased ticket sales and hopefully more revenue next year. Everything on paper is looking great. Hopefully the team gets off to a decent start, and all will be well.

Sure, somewhat JR's doing... but its a chicken-and-egg thing. He can now allow the increase because he knows the money will come back. Why? Because they're a *real* winning team now, and will soon own the third largest market in baseball.

tebman
12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
No doubt about it. This is not "just a cubs town," and it hasn't always been that way despite what most people are led to believe. The gates are already reflecting that Chicago will support a winner. And like you say, if we continue on a nice run--even if we don't win the big prize again, but have it within reach--the tides will turn in favor of the Sox.
In looking for stories on Garland's contract, I found today's article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051228soxgarland,1,5169643.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) on the Tribune's website. In it were these words from KW, elaborating on what he said at the top of this thread:

"...White Sox general manager Ken Williams issued warnings to both Jose Contreras and the Cubs that things are changing now that the World Series trophy resides on the South Side..."

"...And on the subject of the Cubs, Williams believes wrapping up his starters for several years will give the White Sox a chance at what he called 'sustained success' and the possibility of overturning Chicago's longtime baseball 'culture.'"

I have these "It's A Wonderful Life" visions in my head of hastily-called meetings at the Tribune, with an officious executive muttering like Mr. Potter, "The White Sox and their scruffy fans have been a boil on my neck long enough -- McPhail, get in here!"

I wonder how the Empire will respond. More sushi in the concession stands? An Abercrombie & Fitch gift shop in the ballpark? It'll be fun to watch.

DenverSock
12-29-2005, 11:40 AM

What a refreshing attitude. :thumbsup:

The Deacon
12-29-2005, 11:43 AM

I agree. All the SOX have to do is make regular trips to the playoffs for the next few years. This is the exact formula the Angels followed and now they compete STRONGLY with the Dodgers.

Flight #24
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
:worship: :KW

I wonder how the Empire will respond. More sushi in the concession stands? An Abercrombie & Fitch gift shop in the ballpark? It'll be fun to watch.

Oh my, I hesitate at the thought of consuming non-perishables like beer at the Urinal.......eating sushi served there?:puking:

slavko
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Bob Vanderberg (great old-time Sox fan) has a piece in the Trib today about the career and passing of Sandy Consuegra, who had a few great years with the Sox in the 50's. There is a reference to his sadness in turning on the TV after school one day and seeing the end-of-the-line Sandy, then with the Giants, trying to stop a Cub rally before 3,000 idlers in the stands, and giving up the winning hit to some cub bozo. Bob compares this to Sandy, a few years earlier, pitching in pressure packed games with full ballparks against the Yankees and others.

It's a Cub town my mammary appendage. The arrow's pointin up, UP, UP for the Sox.

DumpJerry
12-29-2005, 11:52 AM
I envision the 10:00 sports on TV starting in June or so will lead off each night with "yet another Sox victory" and talk about the Sox have done it again. Then the Cubs are relegated to the "in other baseball action today" section followed by "getting back to the Sox game today...." a story about something cute that took place at the game in the stands.

While the Cubs will sell out their tickets, their merchandise sales will plummet causing teeth gnashing at the Blue Tower. Sigh.

Kenny has certainly drawn the line in the sand.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
This is not "just a cubs town," and it hasn't always been that way despite what most people are led to believe.

I need some help here from Torn Labrum or Dan H;
IIRC,the Sox outdrew the lesser talented North side
team between about 1951 and 1967.Am I somewhat
correct??

Lip Man 1
12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
"People say Chicago is a Cubs town. That's garbage. It's a White Sox town too."--Chuck Tanner.

Lip

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Watch out, 1908's! The power of the White Sox is grrowwing!

cheeses_h_rice
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
correct??

Baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com) has all the historical attendance figures for both teams.

34 Inch Stick
12-29-2005, 01:46 PM

It have held here since the Thome signing that KW deserved the credit for this year and JR deserves it for 2006. KW is showing what he can do with a bigger budget now but it is JR that is changing his ways to create sustained excellence.

BainesHOF
12-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Let's get real here. Kenny Williams deserves way more credit for the World Series title than Reinsdorf, as do Ozzie, his coaching staff and of course the players, though Reinsdorf certainly deserves extra credit for hiring Williams.

This offseason is when Reinsdorf has really started to earn his stripes. I'd add that it's about time the Chairman is operating like the owner of a major-market team.

PaulDrake
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
correct?? Not to butt in on Cheeses who provided an excellent link but IIRC the Sox outdrew the Cubs every year between 1951 and 1967, except for 1958.

SOXSINCE'70
12-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Not to butt in on Cheeses who provided an excellent link but IIRC the Sox outdrew the Cubs every year between 1951 and 1967, except for 1958.

That pretty much sums it up.Thanks for your
help and to Cheeses for the reference link.:D:

Qdiddy
12-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Not only is KW doing whatever he can this off-season to help us repeat, but he really going after the throat and taking it to the Cubs and all the media bias reporters. Here's a nice piece from mlb.com

"Just as Williams wouldn't buy into the notion that his revamped squad couldn't win a championship in 2005, he also isn't satisfied with the theory that the White Sox will play second fiddle to the Cubs in Chicago. In order to accomplish that goal, Williams understands more titles will be needed.
"I not only wanted to get to the World Series, but I wanted to have sustained success," said Williams, who spoke of a projected increase in attendance figures for 2006 as one of the supports for the payroll increase. "It's a defeatist attitude that we will always be Chicago's second team. It doesn't fly with me.
"We must win again and then possibly win again after that to change the culture. Jerry has taken on a huge financial gamble to try to win it again. I'm hoping I'm right or someone will have a lot of answering to do, and that someone will be me."

Get'em Kenny!

K-Dub, just give him a lifetime contract already....Next!

ws05champs
12-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Not to butt in on Cheeses who provided an excellent link but IIRC the Sox outdrew the Cubs every year between 1951 and 1967, except for 1958.

According to my brother, who at 65 is 12 years older than me, Chicago was definitely a Sox town during that period. It was only after the Sox dumped WGN and switched to pay TV that the Cubs were able to outdraw the Sox.

mweflen
12-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't think JR deserves this much credit. He is being led by trends, not leading them. All this could have happened 5 years ago had JR pried open his miserly change purse.

That said, I'm happy and relieved that this franchise has finally taken a turn in this direction. I think we've at least joined the ranks of the Cards and Angels - teams which, while not absolutely busting the bank (i.e. NY, BOS, ATL), will spend in order to succeed.

Bobbo35
12-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Let's get real here. Kenny Williams deserves way more credit for the World Series title than Reinsdorf, as do Ozzie, his coaching staff and of course the players, though Reinsdorf certainly deserves extra credit for hiring Williams.

This offseason is when Reinsdorf has really started to earn his stripes. I'd add that it's about time the Chairman is operating like the owner of a major-market team.

Kenny Williams deserves the credit because how many people were blasting him for the offseason aquisitions he was making the past offseason. Who took the heat? KW

Fake Chet Lemon
12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I just mentioned this in the Garland thread. Everyone's giving KW major props now (and I'm not saying they are undeserved), but the underlying credit deserves to go to Reinsdorf for allowing the payroll increase.

The ONLY reason Reinsdorf is allowing the payroll to increase $20mildo is because Kenny earned Reinsdorf AN EXTRA $20 MILDO in the post-season last year by building a World Champion on a joke of a Reinsdorf budget compared to the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cardinals, Astros, Cubs, Angels, etc!

Kenny can spend that $20M and Reinsdorf keeps all the extra revenue that will be generated this year by new ticket sales and new corporate sponsorships. Please, let's not anoint Reinsdorf as a saint when Kenny IS THE GOD.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I have these "It's A Wonderful Life" visions in my head of hastily-called meetings at the Tribune, with an officious executive muttering like Mr. Potter, "The White Sox and their scruffy fans have been a boil on my neck long enough -- McPhail, get in here!"

You mean like this?

REINEMAN
Look, Mr. Fitzsimmons, it's no skin off my nose. I'm just your head ticket scalper. But you can't laugh off this Comiskey Park any
more. Look at it.

A buzzer is heard, and Fitzsimmons snaps on the dictaphone on his
desk.

SECRETARY'S VOICE
Congressman Hastert is here to see you.

FITZSIMMONS (to dictaphone)
Oh, tell the congressman to wait.
(to Reineman)
Go on.

REINEMAN
Ten years ago, a half-dozen fans are here and there.
There's the old ballpark, Sportsvision killed it in the eighties. Used to
go to ballgames there myself. Look at Comiskey today. 40,000 of the
greatest fans you ever saw. Twenty per cent attended by suckers who used to buy tickets from you. Your Wrigley Field, my dear Mr. Employer, is becoming passe. And are the local yokels making with those David and Goliath wisecracks!

FITZSIMMONS
Oh, they are, are they? Even though they know the Sunshine Boys haven't
made a billion dollars out of it.

REINEMAN
You know very well why. The Sunshine Boys are chumps. Every one of
those White Sox tickets are worth twice what they charge. If I
were you, Mr. Fitzsimmons . . .

FITZSIMMONS (interrupting)
Well, you are not me.

REINEMAN (as he leaves)
As I say, it's no skin off my nose. But one of these days this
bright young man is going to be asking Jerry Reinsdorf for a job.

Reineman exits.

FITZSIMMONS
The Chicago White Sox have been a boil on my neck long enough.

He flips the switch on the dictaphone.

SECRETARY'S VOICE
Yes, sir?

FITSIMMONS
Come in here.

mweflen
12-30-2005, 12:50 PM
The ONLY reason Reinsdorf is allowing the payroll to increase $20mildo is because Kenny earned Reinsdorf AN EXTRA $20 MILDO in the post-season last year by building a World Champion on a joke of a Reinsdorf budget compared to the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cardinals, Astros, Cubs, Angels, etc!

Kenny can spend that $20M and Reinsdorf keeps all the extra revenue that will be generated this year by new ticket sales and new corporate sponsorships. Please, let's not anoint Reinsdorf as a saint when Kenny IS THE GOD.

Ditto.

SOXintheBURGH
12-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Watch out, 1908's! The power of the White Sox is grrowwing!

*spits beer onto screen*

:) :roflmao: :rolling:

tebman
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
You mean like this?

< exemplary scene and dialog >

:thumbsup: :rolling: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Yes! That's it! Get Spielberg on the phone! This is a can't-miss! Boffo!

Ah, there are so many literary parallels we can make: Fitzsimons raging pathetically like King Lear through the lonely hallways of Tribune Tower is what comes to my mind.

It's good to be a Sox fan right now!