PDA

View Full Version : Where is PK on the USA roster?

Juice16
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Why hasn't Paulie been mentioned on team USA? Has anyone heard if he said he would play?

CHIsoxNation
12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Why hasn't Paulie been mentioned on team USA? Has anyone heard if he said he would play?

I didn't know he was even asked to play.

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Hopefully sitting at home!

I think 4 Contributions to this Sham are enough!

INSox56
12-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Agreed...I hate this WBC crap more than anything. We lose the majority of our rotation and an infielder already. I can't wait for someone to get hurt in one of the games to see the fallout from it. Garbage...

chisoxfanatic
12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm sure he was asked...He probably just turned the opportunity down, since he just had a son with his wife and would like to spend some time with his family before starting a title run. I mean, the season was 3 weeks longer this past year, so he's just trying to make up some time.

Paulie will be back and ready to play to defend the title that is OURS! :D:

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
He decided the smarter thing was being with his teammates in Tuscon which is exactly where Buehrle, Vasquez, Garcia and Iguchi should be.

Screw that WBC farce.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Totally agree...this whole thing is a waste of freakin' time.

bighurt2719
12-29-2005, 10:01 AM
the WBC is much more important to the central american nations than to us, since all they care about is...*mod edit: I have no idea what I am talking about here.* its going to be a huge deal when dominican republic plays venezuala, for example. we (the USA) probably wont win it. the whole point of the tournament is to make baseball more of an internationally recognized sport. i think it will accomplish this in other countries where baseball does not have the foothold it does here. however, no one in the US is going to start following baseball from the WBC.

thats my take.

skottyj242
12-29-2005, 10:23 AM
In my opinion the WBC is just a reaction to baseball not being in the Olympics anymore. I think it would be a great tournament if held every couple of years with no major leaguers, just kids trying to make a name for themselves. I know I would watch. Am I going to even be able to watch this? Last I heard there was no television contract.

Milw
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
I guess I'm the only person who's really excited about the WBC, eh?

The Wimperoo
12-29-2005, 02:25 PM
They already have Mark Teixiera and Derrek Lee.

:hawk

Where would he play?

BigHurt35
12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
I think it could be a pretty interesting tournament.

In soccer the World Cup is always the most anticipated and exciting event. Granted the international aspect is stressed more in soccer, but it is the same sort of idea. Clubs also face the same issues with guys they are paying huge money to getting injured while playing for their country, and screwing the club. This still does not detract from the interest in the World Cup, as seeing the best from all countries is always going to be exciting.

That said, players tend to retire from international play as they get older and start making more money in soccer. I can see the same transition with this after a few times through. It will suck if a White Sox player gets injured, but every team is in the same boat. Just be happy that the Sox are good enough that they have four players representing them.

chaerulez
12-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I think it could be a pretty interesting tournament.

In soccer the World Cup is always the most anticipated and exciting event. Granted the international aspect is stressed more in soccer, but it is the same sort of idea. Clubs also face the same issues with guys they are paying huge money to getting injured while playing for their country, and screwing the club. This still does not detract from the interest in the World Cup, as seeing the best from all countries is always going to be exciting.

That said, players tend to retire from international play as they get older and start making more money in soccer. I can see the same transition with this after a few times through. It will suck if a White Sox player gets injured, but every team is in the same boat. Just be happy that the Sox are good enough that they have four players representing them.

There is a huge difference between the WBC and World Cup. Soccer has a world governing body in charge of the World Cup and international events. It's called FIFA. You've probably heard of it, there's a video game with the same name. Yes the World Cup does generate money for FIFA, but the whole system is more organized and structured and the people involved have a geniune interest for the game. There are no debates about what country a player will play for. There are no countries telling other countries they can't play. There's nothing that limits how much a player can play. It probably works for soccer because there are so many different leagues in soccer and all the great known teams are spread all throughout Europe.

I've said this many times over and over again. This is why FIFA and the World Cup works. This is why the WBC doesn't. Bug Selig and MLB are in charge of this and making up the rules as they go along. It's kind of like if the World Cup was run by the English Preimer League. It would seem like there would be a conflict of interest now wouldn't it? The idea behind this is good, but a lot of the best players in the world aren't even playing. You can't say that about the World Cup. There is no question all the best players will play unless its due to injury. A-Rod not playing is like David Beckham not playing.

StockdaleForVeep
12-29-2005, 06:31 PM

The same reason how a certain 40 hr 1st base sox player wasnt in the hr derby in 04 yet sosa was? Oh and that 1st base player finished second in the majors in hr's too

Daver
12-29-2005, 11:01 PM
He has the best place on the roster.

Left Out.

TDog
12-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm sure he was asked. ....

I'm not.

ChiSoxPatF
12-30-2005, 01:29 PM
I was excited for this WBC since it gives some relevance to preseason games UNTIL all the Yankees players decided they'd "rather just sit out." If ALL the stars in baseball were required to play, then at least EVERYONE is at a risk. Its horse**** that both Matsui and ARod happen to decide they'd rather not play.

ilsox7
12-30-2005, 01:30 PM
I was excited for this WBC since it gives some relevance to preseason games UNTIL all the Yankees players decided they'd "rather just sit out." If ALL the stars in baseball were required to play, then at least EVERYONE is at a risk. Its horse**** that both Matsui and ARod happen to decide they'd rather not play.

It's a very smart move by them. I hope our players follow their lead.

Jjav829
12-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not.

Neither am I. Unless Mark Teixeira or Derrek Lee declines, Konerko probably won't be asked to participate.

Lip Man 1
12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Add Posada and Johnson to the list...and it's not by chance by the way that they said 'no.'

Lip

krispoulin
12-31-2005, 02:10 PM
With all the negativity in this thread regarding the WBC I'm beginning to wonder if there are any actual baseball fans on this site. I don't see how any fan could argue against a tournament made up of the world's best players? (Well, except Cuba's, but that's a different argument...) It's gonna be a blast - sit back and enjoy it. Baseball is supposed to be fun. Remember?

Chitown Hitmen
12-31-2005, 02:14 PM

I'm glad he isn't in it. Another chance gone for Paulie to get injured this season.

Lip Man 1
12-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Kris:

I love baseball that actually counts for something. A glorified exhibition series WITHOUT ALL the best players, with altered rules and bogus eligibility/ citizenship requirements that does nothing except line Selig's pockets is a useless farce.

I've been passionately following the White Sox for 45 seasons now...I guess I'm not a baseball fan.

Lip

FarWestChicago
01-01-2006, 02:08 AM
With all the negativity in this thread regarding the WBC I'm beginning to wonder if there are any actual baseball fans on this site.Since you don't like the people here, why not just leave and not come back. :?:

Chitown Hitmen
01-01-2006, 10:06 AM
With all the negativity in this thread regarding the WBC I'm beginning to wonder if there are any actual baseball fans on this site. I don't see how any fan could argue against a tournament made up of the world's best players? (Well, except Cuba's, but that's a different argument...) It's gonna be a blast - sit back and enjoy it. Baseball is supposed to be fun. Remember?

Yeah, it's going to be fun, until Paul Konerko, Albert Pujols, Miguel TEjada, or Derrek Lee gets injured, and miss out the whole season, and we don't need Paulie injured. He was our most productive hitter last year, and if we lose him, Jermaine will probably take that job. And if we aren't actualy baseball fan's, why would we be wasting our time here? Maybe some of the people in here may be not actual baseball fan's, but they have a right to post here still and there's nothing you can do about it. And like that one person said, if you don't like us people in here, just leave.

SoxFan64
01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
There is a huge difference between the WBC and World Cup. Soccer has a world governing body in charge of the World Cup and international events. It's called FIFA...

I've said this many times over and over again. This is why FIFA and the World Cup works. This is why the WBC doesn't. Bug Selig and MLB are in charge of this and making up the rules as they go along. It's kind of like if the World Cup was run by the English Preimer League. It would seem like there would be a conflict of interest now wouldn't it? The idea behind this is good, but a lot of the best players in the world aren't even playing. You can't say that about the World Cup. There is no question all the best players will play unless its due to injury. A-Rod not playing is like David Beckham not playing.

IIRC the World Cup when it started in 1930 did not get the best teams from Europe to play.

Give Bud some credit dor trying something to help expand the game.

Are there problems with the WBC in its first run -- yup. But I am not ready to condemn the whole process.

Now it is time to duck as the salvos will be a coming. :o:

dcoroni
01-02-2006, 05:59 AM
This is not football, where someone gets hurt every game!! This is baseball. I am looking forward to this. Any chance I get to root for my home COUNTRY, I'm in! I don't necessarily(dsp) like the timing, but I think it should be fun.

P.S. dsp = drunken spelling

Chitown Hitmen
01-02-2006, 10:02 AM
This is not football, where someone gets hurt every game!! This is baseball. I am looking forward to this. Any chance I get to root for my home COUNTRY, I'm in! I don't necessarily(dsp) like the timing, but I think it should be fun.

P.S. dsp = drunken spelling

Yeah, your right......it's a game where thay CAN hget hurt every game.

dcoroni
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, your right......it's a game where thay CAN hget hurt every game.

But rarely do!

Chitown Hitmen
01-02-2006, 01:06 PM
But rarely do!

Dude, they rarely do as you say right? but it does happen so it has CHANCE. I'm not saying he will or will not, I'm just saying in a way what if Paul Konerko get's hurt in the WBC, when he doesn't need to play in it. He need's to play in the regular season and post-season so he can help us.

Chitown Hitmen
01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm not.

And he was asked, I read on one site, but he refused, so he can spend time with his family.

krispoulin
01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Since you don't like the people here, why not just leave and not come back. :?:

Woo! That hurts. There's obviously some sort of misunderstanding going on here. I certainly did not say that I don't like the people on this site. I don't know the people here - just that they are fellow passionate White Sox fans and that's why I've been reading it for years. What I did say was this: "With all the negativity in this thread regarding the WBC I'm beginning to wonder if there are any actual baseball fans on this site."

There is this GAME, called baseball, that I think we all may be guilty of taking a little too seriously sometimes. A number of posts make great points about the WBC and its potential effects on the MLB season, and almost none of those posts considered the possibility, however slight, that this could actually be good for baseball.

All my original post meant is that I, for one, am choosing to remain optimistic, a fan of the GAME, and plan on enjoying the WBC games.

Elvisfan1977
01-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Amen!

dcoroni
01-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Dude, they rarely do as you say right? but it does happen so it has CHANCE. I'm not saying he will or will not, I'm just saying in a way what if Paul Konerko get's hurt in the WBC, when he doesn't need to play in it. He need's to play in the regular season and post-season so he can help us.

I understand what you are saying, but as a soccer fan and rugby player I LOVE the world cup events. As I said before the timing stinks (Playing during spring training,) but if baseball could become an international event or game I think it would be fantastic.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Baseball already is an international game. Baseball is played in most of Latin America, some South American countries, the Caribbean, Japan, Australia, South Korea, Taiwan, Canada and Mexico.

That isn't enough for you?

Lip

CHIsoxNation
01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I understand what you are saying, but as a soccer fan and rugby player I LOVE the world cup events. As I said before the timing stinks (Playing during spring training,) but if baseball could become an international event or game I think it would be fantastic.

Baseball is already an international sport. Players from all over the world come to the United States to compete in major league baseball. It's no secret that if you want to make the most money and play against the best competition in the world you must come play in the states.

IMO - I couldn't care less whose country is better than whose in a one month tournament. Besides, a lot of the players in MLB are deciding not to play this spring and will not risk their health for something that doesn't count for anything.

I enjoy watching the world cup soccer games but this baseball thing is just stupid. I'll take seeing the White Sox win the world series over the US winning the world baseball cup any day.

DaleJRFan
01-04-2006, 05:19 PM
For anyone who is interested, here is the list of players participating in the WBC:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/051205wbcplayers.html

krispoulin
03-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Baseball is already an international sport. Players from all over the world come to the United States to compete in major league baseball. It's no secret that if you want to make the most money and play against the best competition in the world you must come play in the states.

And here we are, at the final game, with exactly 2 major leaguers on the the teams' rosters...

Taliesinrk
03-20-2006, 10:43 AM
And here we are, at the final game, with exactly 2 major leaguers on the the teams' rosters...

ahhh yes.. the irony.

in defense though.. i'm not sure the U.S.A. had many major leaguers show up to play for their team either...

Iwritecode
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM

Right, because a single-game elimination tournament during Spring Training when most major league pitchers are just starting to build up their arm strength and the hitters are just starting to get their timing back proves who has the best team.

There's a reason the playoffs are at the end of the season and go in rounds of 5 or 7 games...

Flight #24
03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
IMO - I couldn't care less whose country is better than whose in a one month tournament. Besides, a lot of the players in MLB are deciding not to play this spring and will not risk their health for something that doesn't count for anything.

IMO it's not so cut & dry. It's year 1, and the US didn't make the final round. Plus, from what I read, the players were VERY into representing their country, even the american ones. That's from non-MLB sites like ESPN, etc, and included comments from guys who "wished they were there".

I don't think you can call it a success or failure after year 1. Let's see what happens next go-around, when you may well have more participation and public interest in the early games to see if the US can provide a better effort. From the early returns, I'd bet it goes MUCH better next time around.

Complaints so far seem to me to be eerily similar to the moaning & wailing when the wildcard was introduced. I'm not a fan of the injury factor, but the rules in place seem to have worked well from that perspective, and injuries happen in ST just as easily. I guess bottom line is that I don't have a personal bias against ideas that grow the revenue base of baseball, so I don't mind it.

lumpyspun
03-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I just don't understand how any baseball game can be taken seriously when there is a limit to how many pitches a pitcher can throw! What is this, Little League? I understand the reason, but if you are going to have this tournament you might as well not make it half-ass.

cleanwsox
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Well, the final two teams show up something:

Japan has been in spring training for a full month before the WBC and does Cuba ever really stop playing baseball?

I have a feeling if this thing was in November, you'd see a better fight from the teams with the major-leaguers.

krispoulin
03-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Right, because a single-game elimination tournament during Spring Training when most major league pitchers are just starting to build up their arm strength and the hitters are just starting to get their timing back proves who has the best team.

I'll assume that should have been in teal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[/QUOTE]There's a reason the playoffs are at the end of the season and go in rounds of 5 or 7 games...[/QUOTE]

To sell more commercials on TV?

drewcifer
03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I just don't understand how any baseball game can be taken seriously when there is a limit to how many pitches a pitcher can throw! What is this, Little League? I understand the reason, but if you are going to have this tournament you might as well not make it half-ass.
I totally agree, but this is how it will be unless it's moved to the end of the regular season (or even post playoffs).

It's basically pointless for the US to even participate if it'll continue to be held pre-season.