PDA

View Full Version : WFAN and WEEI both reporting Tejada trade close

Fenway
12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
If radio reports are to be believed something BIG is coming down maybe as soon as tonight.....

It started on a baseball blog in New York but then Gammons confirms the names out there and said " everybody wants it done except Mrs. Benson"

Mets would send Heilman and (Kaz) Matsui (and $5 million) to Tampa Bay for Lugo. Then New York would send Lugo, Kris Benson, Brian Bannister and Victor Diaz to Baltimore for Tejada, and then send Tejada to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez."
12.28.05, GothamBaseball.com Rumor Mill

MRKARNO
12-28-2005, 03:51 PM
If this is true, then maybe the Garland and others for Tejada deal was a lot more realistic than was initially thought...

One has to believe that Garland signing an extension and this rumored deal coming out today have to be related.

Uncle_Patrick
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
Is Anna Benson OK with moving to Baltimore?

Dick Allen
12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
**** Mrs. Benson.

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
You'd think that Baltimore would actually want to get something in return for Tejada... I wonder how many Season ticket holders would request a Refund if this happens?!?!?!

Fenway
12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
You'd think that Baltimore would actually want to get something in return for Tejada... I wonder how many Season ticket holders would request a Refund if this happens?!?!?!

I think the Orioles have already conceded they are no better than 4th in the East with Toronto making a run.

DumpJerry
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know it will happen in .003 seconds), but isn't Benson with the Royals now as of about a month ago?

NU Nish 13
12-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Mets would send Heilman and (Kaz) Matsui (and $5 million) to Tampa Bay for Lugo. Then New York would send Lugo, Kris Benson, Brian Bannister and Victor Diaz to Baltimore for Tejada, and then send Tejada to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez."

You have got to be KIDDING me. I understand that the Orioles are going to be in a fight to the death with Tampa for 4th in the AL east, but what sense does it make to have an MVP like Tejada, who is under contract for the long term, end up within your own division to terrorize Baltimore 19 times a year for years to come?!!?!?!!?! Benson is an average pitcher, Victor Diaz isn't even a regular, Lugo is no more than a utility player, and I know nothing about Bannister...but if pitching is what Baltimore seeks, I don't see how even this trade would be the answer...Camden is going to be empty for years to come...and yes, the Red Sox have holes, but look out if Tejada replaces Ramirez in that lineup...Boston could be a better team without all that drama and buddies Ortiz and Tejada mashing the AL together

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 04:10 PM
I think the Orioles have already conceded they are no better than 4th in the East with Toronto making a run.

But still, is that any reason to send off your only Star? If they do this then it could move them behind TAMPA... Unless their Ultimate goal is to move out of Baltimore and away from the NAT's then this really doesn't make any sence?!?!?!? I would also think that there are a large list of teams ahead of them that would get the nod to move before they would?!?!?!

Uncle_Patrick
12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know it will happen in .003 seconds), but isn't Benson with the Royals now as of about a month ago?

No, I believe that did not end up happening.

NUCatsFan
12-28-2005, 04:19 PM
**** Mrs. Benson.
I believe a long line has already formed for that.

Seriously, though, it seems like the Mets are giving up an awful lot for Manny. Sounds like there are a number of guys on there that are with the big league club. Do they have enough to fill in the gaps?

MRKARNO
12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
The one thing that really makes me question the validity of this rumor is that it involves 3 teams in the same division. That seems highly out of the ordinary, let alone the fact that there are four teams in on this chain reaction of deals.

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 04:25 PM
The one thing that really makes me question the validity of this rumor is that it involves 3 teams in the same division. That seems highly out of the ordinary, let alone the fact that there are four teams in on this chain reaction of deals.

Mets.... not the Yankees!

WSox8404
12-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I believe a long line has already formed for that.

Seriously, though, it seems like the Mets are giving up an awful lot for Manny. Sounds like there are a number of guys on there that are with the big league club. Do they have enough to fill in the gaps?

Is it just me or does it really seem like the Mets are becoming the Yankees? Spend, spend, spend, and spend some more. They are filling their roster with big name, big money guys. I am not saying this never works, but it seems like the new age of baseball is going to see a lot more teams like the White Sox win more often then not. I don't know but it seems like the Yankees and Mets should reexamine how they run business.

Iwritecode
12-28-2005, 04:28 PM

Tampa Bay is still in the AL East...

SouthSide_HitMen
12-28-2005, 04:28 PM
But still, is that any reason to send off your only Star? If they do this then it could move them behind TAMPA... Unless their Ultimate goal is to move out of Baltimore and away from the NAT's then this really doesn't make any sence?!?!?!? I would also think that there are a large list of teams ahead of them that would get the nod to move before they would?!?!?!

Peter Angelos is guaranteed a $365 mil selling price (he bought the club for less than 1/2 that twelve years ago). Viva Las Vegas!

Fred Manrique
12-28-2005, 04:29 PM

1. Tampa
2. Boston
3. Baltimore

Fenway
12-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Is it just me or does it really seem like the Mets are becoming the Yankees? Spend, spend, spend, and spend some more. .

The Mets are spending because they are starting their own TV network in March and they need a splash.

http://www.sportsnetny.com/about.asp

They also are going after the Hispanic market in New York and making the fans feel welcome, something the Yankees have not done.

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Tampa Bay is still in the AL East...

Forgot about them... I don't think they'd make out in the deal either though. Honestly this deal would only help the Redsox... If I can see that I can't see how 3 other GM's would miss it, the Met's would benefit on paper... but If Manny thinks Bostons pressure is too much then what's he going to do on the Mets with a larger ball park, a LF that is more than 14 sqft and an extreemly over paid roster?

It makes you appreciate Kenny so much more!

WSox8404
12-28-2005, 04:33 PM
The Mets are spending because they are starting their own TV network in March and they need a splash.

http://www.sportsnetny.com/about.asp

They also are going after the Hispanic market in New York and making the fans feel welcome, something the Yankees have not done.

Ahh, hence the big Hispanic names. Makes sense, but still, if they get Manny what is their payroll looking like....ouch.

getonbckthr
12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
**** Mrs. Benson.
I wish I could.

NUCatsFan
12-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Is it just me or does it really seem like the Mets are becoming the Yankees?

Either the Yankees or the Rangers (NHL edition)

Fenway
12-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Ahh, hence the big Hispanic names. Makes sense, but still, if they get Manny what is their payroll looking like....ouch.

Mets can spend freely for 2006 as they won't be subject to the luxury tax as per the CBA

Under the labor contract, the Yankees and Red Sox will be the only teams subject to the luxury tax next year and both will pay at a 40 percent rate on the amount over the threshold, which rises to $136.5 million. The collective bargaining agreement expires next December, meaning the sides could negotiate new rules for 2007 and beyond.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2268025

WSox8404
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Mets can spend freely for 2006 as they won't be subject to the luxury tax as per the CBA

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2268025

No kidding. I thought that the luxury tax was for every team every year. How did this come to be anyway? I now know it is in the CBA but how did it come to pass?

Banix12
12-28-2005, 04:53 PM

You have got to be KIDDING me. I understand that the Orioles are going to be in a fight to the death with Tampa for 4th in the AL east, but what sense does it make to have an MVP like Tejada, who is under contract for the long term, end up within your own division to terrorize Baltimore 19 times a year for years to come?!!?!?!!?! Benson is an average pitcher, Victor Diaz isn't even a regular, Lugo is no more than a utility player, and I know nothing about Bannister...but if pitching is what Baltimore seeks, I don't see how even this trade would be the answer...Camden is going to be empty for years to come...and yes, the Red Sox have holes, but look out if Tejada replaces Ramirez in that lineup...Boston could be a better team without all that drama and buddies Ortiz and Tejada mashing the AL together

Brian Bannister, 24 years old, right handed starting pitcher
He split time between AA Binghamton and AAA Norfolk last season.
2005 AA /18 Starts, 9-4 record, 109 IP, 91 Hits, 11 HR, 27 BB, 94 K
2005 AAA/ 8 starts, 4-1 record, 45.1 IP, 48 Hits, 0 HR, 13 BB, 48 K

Lugo would be a downgrade at SS, no question about that, but Diaz and Benson are both upgrades on the players they had last season and Bannister is one of their top pitching prospects. He was ranked #9 in the system when the baseball america top ten came out. With the Delgado trade taking away some of those prospects I think he is around 6 or 7 now. He's also going to be ready to come up soon.

So I don't think it would be a horrible deal for the Orioles. Lugo can hold the position for a year or so. Diaz is cheap power. Benson can at least be better than what they had and Bannister might be pretty good.

Other than all this happening in one division, it makes sense. Though maybe the Orioles think they can afford to give up Tejada to the Red Sox as long as Manny is out of the American league

HotelWhiteSox
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I could've sworn I read that Benson was traded like a month ago, right before his wife opened her mouth again

dickallen15
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
**** Mrs. Benson.

In my dreams, I do.

Fenway
12-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I could've sworn I read that Benson was traded like a month ago, right before his wife opened her mouth again

she was last seen at the Mets Christmas Party

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2005-12/20966488.jpghttp://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2005-12/20966593.jpg

Mr. Met looks happy

SOXintheBURGH
12-28-2005, 06:02 PM

I remember that too. I was totally convinced that he was dealt to Kansas City. :?:

dickallen15
12-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Unless Angelos has decided to give up trying to win, the Orioles could do much better than this. Diaz is a journeyman. Lugo is average, Benson is not all he's cracked up to be and Bannister is still just a prospect, and not even a top 5 in the organization prospect. Looks like a whole lot of nothing for a perrienial MVP candidate.

Tragg
12-28-2005, 06:11 PM
If radio reports are to be believed something BIG is coming down maybe as soon as tonight.....

It started on a baseball blog in New York but then Gammons confirms the names out there and said " everybody wants it done except Mrs. Benson"

12.28.05, GothamBaseball.com Rumor Mill That's a weak package for Tejada.
That's also getting full value for Ramirez, which was doubtful they'd be able to get - Boston ought to throw at least Marte to Baltimore as well.

Banix12
12-28-2005, 07:20 PM
That's a weak package for Tejada.
That's also getting full value for Ramirez, which was doubtful they'd be able to get - Boston ought to throw at least Marte to Baltimore as well.

I think certainly if this trade goes through I think it is pretty safe to say that all the Prior for Tejada trade rumors were complete BS. Because definitely that trade seems to be more attractive.

Though maybe the Orioles think this trade might be more attractive because Bedard would stay around. Who knows? The Orioles front office is such a joke I would believe any trade, no matter how rediculous.

If the Prior/Hill/other (Patterson or other hitter) trade for Bedard/Tejada rumor went down the Orioles rotation is
Prior
Rodrigo Lopez
Bruce Chen
Daniel Cabrera
Rich Hill
backed up by Hayden Penn or John Maine in the minors.

If they go with this rumor the Orioles rotation is
Benson
Bedard
Lopez
Chen
Cabrera
backed up by Bannister, Hayden Penn, or John Maine

I really prefer the Prior rumor if I'm the orioles, so if they go with this 4 team trade I gotta think all this Cubs/Orioles talk has been idle chatter.

Jjav829
12-28-2005, 09:38 PM
The Orioles are going to trade Tejada for Lugo, Benson, Bannister and Diaz? :roflmao:

Riiiiiiiight......I won't hold my breath waiting for this one to happen. :rolleyes:

I think the Sox have a better chance of landing him for Uribe + a starting pitcher + a prospect.

Optipessimism
12-28-2005, 09:54 PM

Nothing that complicated ever gets done, although it does sound like a ridiculous Mets trade.

I'm just wondering why, if the Mets are so smart, they aren't targeting one of our starters or Barry Zito? Why not get some STARTING PITCHING???

spiffie
12-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Nothing that complicated ever gets done, although it does sound like a ridiculous Mets trade.

I'm just wondering why, if the Mets are so smart, they aren't targeting one of our starters or Barry Zito? Why not get some STARTING PITCHING???

Off hand I can't think of a single thing I would want from the Mets in exchange for any of our pitchers. Unless they want to trade Contreras for Beltran and pick up 75% of Beltran's salary.

Banix12
12-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Off hand I can't think of a single thing I would want from the Mets in exchange for any of our pitchers. Unless they want to trade Contreras for Beltran and pick up 75% of Beltran's salary.

Agreed, the excess on their roster doesn't really match up with any of the white sox needs. Any trade the sox would seem to make would have to be for Prospects. The only guys I would want of their current roster would appear to be players they would never trade like David Wright.

Fenway
12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
latest word from Baltimore

In other news, the Orioles are on the brink of abandoning their effort to trade disgruntled shortstop Miguel Tejada, who has expressed a desire to leave Baltimore because the team has not done enough to improve itself during the offseason.

"There is absolutely no deal we find acceptable to trade this very special player to another team," an Orioles official said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/12/28/orioles_reach_agreement_with_of_burnitz/