PDA

View Full Version : Are The Sox Committed?

XplodingScorbord
12-28-2005, 03:08 PM
What do you think? Is the White Sox organization from the top down committed to being the #1 baseball team in this town? It sure seems so, based on the recent signings, Jon Garland being the latest.

We have our pitching staff locked in (barring trade/injury/whatever) for the next two years, if I'm not mistaken. The core position players are signed as well. Someone in the "Garland Signs" thread speculated that the Sox may be trying to build a dynasty-type team that competes year in and year out.

Your thoughts? Is this just the beginning of making the other team in town irrelevant?

Mods, if this belongs elsewhere, my apologies.

chisoxmike
12-28-2005, 03:23 PM
What do you think? Is the White Sox organization from the top down committed to being the #1 baseball team in this town? It sure seems so, based on the recent signings, Jon Garland being the latest.

We have our pitching staff locked in (barring trade/injury/whatever) for the next two years, if I'm not mistaken. The core position players are signed as well. Someone in the "Garland Signs" thread speculated that the Sox may be trying to build a dynasty-type team that competes year in and year out.

Your thoughts? Is this just the beginning of making the other team in town irrelevant?

This post has been flagged.

lostletters
12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
The White Sox are very committed. I think Jerry Reinsdorf knows he can have a Yankees/Braves type legacy once he had the right general manager and manager in place. He actually wants a legacy. He knows if he can sustain a playoff caliber club for years he can have on of the most popular franchises in baseball. He also recognizes his mistakes, and unlike some people, he has learned from them.

Unlike the Marlins. Red Sox and Diamondbacks, this is not a one shot thing for Jerry. They know they HAVE too put a competitive product on the field year in and year out in order to maintain success in Chicago. Sox fans like winners, and they support winners financially.

Optipessimism
12-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Unlike the Marlins. Red Sox and Diamondbacks, this is not a one shot thing for Jerry. They know they HAVE too put a competitive product on the field year in and year out in order to maintain success in Chicago. Sox fans like winners, and they support winners financially.

The Sox always put a competitive product on the field in terms of a team that could best the Cubs W-L record and in terms of contending in the AL Central. But, that hasn't worked so well and I think JR realizes that in order to take this city and increase our stronghold on the burbs we need to be favored as one of the top 2-3 teams to win it all every single year.

Ozzie and KW make a terrific team, along with Herm and Cooper, Raines, Cora (I know lots of people can't stand some of his decisions but I like the way he gambles more often than not), etc. We have the staff, we have the players, we have the money, so there's no reason why JR wouldn't want to keep winning it all.

MsSoxVixen22
12-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Are the Sox Committed? Hell yes!! I see the beginning of a dynasty with the team and its about damn time! I am eagerly anticipating the '06 season!

Frater Perdurabo
12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Chat room fans laughed at me when I said the Sox were trying to position themselves on the 90s Atlanta Braves model - locking up the starting pitching, developing postion player prospects and filling them into the lineup or trading them to fill holes. Well, that's exactly what they are doing!

:supernana:

Flight #24
12-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Kenny knows that frontline pitching wins, that D & "grit" usually come relatively cheap, and that offense can be manufactured. So he's locked his team into stud pitching and if he has to down the line, will fill in lesser offensive players knowing he can still contend.

2006: Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy-->6 solid to stud pitchers locked in
2007: Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy-->5 solid to stud pitchers locked in
2008: Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy - resign one of Buehrle/Garcia and find a vet/rook #5 -->3 solid to stud pitchers, and likely to resign 1 more at a decent price
2009: Buehrle/Garcia, McCarthy - 2 locked in, but lots of flxibility to resign Garland/Vazquez and/or call up youngsters.

He's positioned this team perfectly for the short and medium term. And with the A-AA arms, the long term ain't so shabby either.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-28-2005, 04:39 PM
What do you think? Is the White Sox organization from the top down committed to being the #1 baseball team in this town?

I have to disagree. They are committed to being the #1 baseball team in baseball. The cubs are not even close to being on the radar.

It's Time
12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Not only are they committed, they are serious about knocking out the Cubs and might accomplish it by mid-season. As it stands right now, the White Sox have a HIGHER payroll then the Cubs (Hangar18???). They realize they have a chance to own this town and more importantly, own the baseball world.

KW and JR deserve TOP kudos for not only a title, but for getting RIGHT back to work on another title. That's how you command respect.

FedEx227
12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Yea number one baseball team in Chicago... been there, done that. Cubs aren't even in the same tier as us these days.

Kenny N Tha Crew are building a team to be number one in baseball.

And like the previous poster said, this is very much what Atlanta did. Lock up the starting pitching, move around the position guys, but not enough to mess anything up, and just get ready for upcoming prospects, etc.

Kenny is on fire these past two years.

kwolf68
12-28-2005, 04:52 PM
You bet they are committed. Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen do not tolerate losing and losers. They will be the cornerstone of a dynasty type team over the next 5 years. I believe the Sox can win another World Series, maybe 2 within the next 4 years and should enter next year as the prohibitive favorite to win it all.

Although, with expectations come great disapointment. With all of us expecting to win, anything less than a World Title Could be a letdown. Me personally? First step...ALCentral Title. Let's go get it (errr, KEEP IT) boys. :supernana:

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 07:02 PM
They have realized that cutting corner's, and doing things half assed didn't amount to squat.

The name of the game is acquiring talent, as much of it and by any and all means.

They are to be applauded and commended for taking an ultra-aggresive approach. They will find that they will win on the field, in the stands and make more money then they know what to do with.

A big thumbs up to the organization!!!

Lip

Dan Mega
12-28-2005, 07:07 PM
A first step would definitely be a division title for next season. Who is going to compete, Cleveland? After losing their ace? Detroit, Minnesota, KC? Ha, right.

I just hope people remember that overconfidence kills. The eternal pessimist in me won't go away until the Sox win 3 straight championships

Palehose13
12-28-2005, 07:24 PM
The front office is absolutely committed. Now it is on the players to perform once again. KW has this team set up to be a dominant force for a few years and with the way Kenny works, I imagine that he is going to keep it up for the rest of his career. Of course, I am sure that the guaranteed money from season ticket sales helps to raise the budget. Way to step to the plate, Sox fans!

miker
12-29-2005, 01:38 PM
JR and company were probably committed from day one. Like every business endeavor, they were restrained by the amount of money they had to invest and quite a few missteps along the way.

They seem to have learned from their earlier mistakes and have now enterred a time where the Sox will be in serious contention for years. This should stimulate and grow the fan base...which leads to larger crowds and...you guessed it, more money!

They get return on their investment, we get a winning baseball team.

It is a fine time to be a White Sox fan. Enjoy it while it lasts.

jdm2662
12-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Yes, they are committed and should reach the minimum eight-peat...

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2005, 02:38 PM
I believe they are committed. JR's tasted the championship and I'm sure he liked enough to want to go back for more. Like him or not, anyone who watched JR accept that World Series trophy and/or saw Konerko give him that ball at the parade could see that this meant more to him than simply a financial opportunity or some sort of ego boost.

I think that the Sox are committed to showing all of baseball that the 2005 White Sox were no fluke. I think their plans for being the #1 team extend far outside of Chicago.