PDA

View Full Version : Quotes of the Year...

scottjanssens
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
A selection of Quotes of the Year from Baseball Prospectus:

"I don't think they have the team to go to the World Series now."
--Magglio Ordonez, on his old team, the White Sox (Chicago Sun-Times)

"Doing the relieving thing, I don't have enough time to think of things like that. Although I know that one of the White Sox players, I heard, is using some sort of atomic bomb in his jockstrap."
--Ryan Dempster, responding to White Sock Mark Buehrle's allegation that a Cub has been cheating

"Most of these guys have never been in this situation, but I have. And I have to lead them. You might want to go to your room, call your mom and cry. But when you come to the ballpark and put on the uniform, you have to be a man. I have 30 men to lead."
--White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, a few days before his team clinched the AL Central (Chicago Sun-Times)

"After games, I go home and watch Venezuelan soap operas. Before I'd watch 'Baseball Tonight.' Now I can't watch it anymore."
--Guillen, on not being able to watch baseball highlights down the stretch (MLB.com)

"You cannot buy a World Series ring on the streets. Ask Alex Rodriguez, he's got millions of dollars and no rings. That's why I say, 'God bless Derek Jeter. He's got a lot of money and a lot of rings.'"
--Guillen (Los Angeles Times)

"Yes, he offended everyone in the Bay Area."
--Giants manager Felipe Alou, when reminded that A.J. Pierzynski is a more offensive catcher than the defensive-minded Mike Matheny (Sacramento Bee)

"He worries after just one game of 0-for-4. I went 0-for-4 every day and didn't worry."
--Guillen, on Scott Podsednik’s worrying (Chicago Sun-Times)

"It's tough for me to talk about hitting when you are a real bad hitter. I have my philosophy. And I think my philosophy is not one that would help a lot of people."
--Guillen, on the paradox of being a mediocre hitter enforcing his personal hitting philosophy (Chicago Tribune)

"Everybody has his own way to hit. My philosophy is to keep your head down and swing. And I don't think too many people can do that. That's what I did all my career, keep my head down and swing and get lucky."
--Guillen

"That's manly. Journey is manly. Why is Journey not manly? I heard Joe Theismann say on the radio that Journey was his favorite group, and Theismann was pretty manly, wasn't he?"
--White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, when asked why they didn't choose a song that's manlier than "Don't Stop Beliving" by Journey (MLB.com)

SOXPHILE
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
-"....OUT !! OUT !! That's a White Sox winner, and a World Championship !"

-John Rooney, 10/26/05

Fred Manrique
12-28-2005, 02:13 PM
That interview Dan Patrick did with AJ and Mark discussing "Don't Stop Believeing" was one of my favorite pieces of radio ever. Absolutely hilarious... I'm not a big Dan Patrick fan anymore (he's condescending and mean to nearly everyone) but that was great.

SOXintheBURGH
12-28-2005, 02:17 PM
:hawk
"Joe! Crede! YEEES!!"

SOXSINCE'70
12-28-2005, 02:17 PM
:rooney
"Jose Contreras gave up 2 runs in the 5th inning to fall behind,3-2.
He has been tough,tough,tough since then.A swing and a ground ball to Konerko;
He has it,steps on the bag....The White Sox win the pennant!They win the pennant! "

chisoxmike
12-28-2005, 02:21 PM
:everett:
"Ya'll can shut up now, shut yo mouths!"

"Chicago...SOUTH SIDE!"

SOX ADDICT '73
12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
"Oh, come on. What are you doing? You've got to be kidding me. What are you doing Brian Gorman? Are you nuts? Are you nuts? You have got to be...That is total BS. They drill Iguchi last night ... Pierzynski gets drilled … aw, I'll tell you. That is absolutely BS from a veteran umpire...I'll tell you. Some of these umpires have no clue, absolutely no clue. And evidently, he's one of them...The only guy who doesn't know what's going on is the guy behind the plate...That is so bad. For a veteran umpire … that's so much BS, it's unbelievable...(Buehrle's streak) was ended by an inept call possibly by an inept umpire."

downstairs
12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
"Oh, come on. What are you doing? You've got to be kidding me. What are you doing Brian Gorman? Are you nuts? Are you nuts? You have got to be...That is total BS. They drill Iguchi last night ... Pierzynski gets drilled … aw, I'll tell you. That is absolutely BS from a veteran umpire...I'll tell you. Some of these umpires have no clue, absolutely no clue. And evidently, he's one of them...The only guy who doesn't know what's going on is the guy behind the plate...That is so bad. For a veteran umpire … that's so much BS, it's unbelievable...(Buehrle's streak) was ended by an inept call possibly by an inept umpire."

Ding!

I absolutely vote for this one above all others.

I still use parts of this every day... somebody does something dumb and I yell... "Are you NUTS?!??!"

SoxSpeed22
12-28-2005, 03:38 PM
"Oh, come on. What are you doing? You've got to be kidding me. What are you doing Brian Gorman? Are you nuts? Are you nuts? You have got to be...That is total BS. They drill Iguchi last night ... Pierzynski gets drilled … aw, I'll tell you. That is absolutely BS from a veteran umpire...I'll tell you. Some of these umpires have no clue, absolutely no clue. And evidently, he's one of them...The only guy who doesn't know what's going on is the guy behind the plate...That is so bad. For a veteran umpire … that's so much BS, it's unbelievable...(Buehrle's streak) was ended by an inept call possibly by an inept umpire."I think this wins. Some more best of Hawk...
"He dropped the ball! Damn!"
"You don't win 96 games by accident, you don't win 96 games by luck, you win 96 games 'cuz dammit, you are good!"
And you could throw in this one,
"If a fan comes down on the field, we'll beat him down."

scottjanssens
12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Um, guys, it's not a poll. You'll also note the originals were all quotes from printed interviews or stories. It's kind of apples and oranges with everything else quoted here.

EastCoastSoxFan
12-28-2005, 03:48 PM
:rowand
"No way.....no way.....NO WAY....."

SOX ADDICT '73
12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Um, guys, it's not a poll. You'll also note the originals were all quotes from printed interviews or stories. It's kind of apples and oranges with everything else quoted here.
Mods, please change the thread title to read "Quotes of the Year...from Printed Interviews or Stories." :wink:

Iwritecode
12-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Mods, please change the thread title to read "Quotes of the Year...from Printed Interviews or Stories." :wink:

:tealtutor:

:tealpolice:

buehrle4cy05
12-28-2005, 04:33 PM
"We need to develop an attitude of **** the other team."

MsSoxVixen22
12-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Ding!

I absolutely vote for this one above all others.

I still use parts of this every day... somebody does something dumb and I yell... "Are you NUTS?!??!"

Hawk gets my vote too. Now I don't feel so bad for saying"Are you NUTS??!" all the time!:tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
"That ball hit deep into left center field.
Way back,stretch,he looks up....you can put it on the boarrrrrd,
yyyyyessss!!! A 2 run homer by AJ Pierzynski,his 10th,and the Sox
score 4 runs in the bottom of the ninth and they win it,5-3!!"

-AJ Pierzynski's game winning 2 run homer, 6/18/05

SOX ADDICT '73
12-28-2005, 04:48 PM
:tealtutor:

:tealpolice:
Thanks, fixed it...I knew that color didn't look right...:redface: