PDA

View Full Version : Just something to think about....

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 01:48 PM
This is VERY pre-mature as this may not happen until 2009, but with all the trade talks that Mark Prior has been involved in (and will be involved in), you have to think his future with the Cubs doesn't look too bright. He will either get traded eventually or leave just because he will be upset with the Cubs for even entertaining the thought of trading him.

This makes me wonder, do you think Kenny Williams would go all-out in trying to bring this guy to the southside? Yes, I know he's injury-prone, but his main injuries have been very fluky (running into Marcus Giles & getting hit by a line-drive), they weren't really "Kerry Wood injuries" (constant elbow/shoulder pain).

Now, Kenny has never overwhelmed any free agent into coming to the Southside. Heck, the White Sox haven't overwhelmed any high-profiled free agent to come to chicago since Albert Belle. I'm not counting Paul Konerko, not because he isn't high-profiled, but because of the fact that he played in Chicago his whole major-league career and that he won the World Series here.

I think this would be Kenny's biggest inidividual move of his career (assuming Prior establishes himself as a reliable, healthy, and dominant starter by 2009) if he can bring Prior to the White Sox and have him join the likes of Brandon McCarthy (Mark Prior II), Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, and Freddy Garcia.

kittle42
12-28-2005, 02:02 PM
This is VERY pre-mature as this may not happen until 2009

Is it April yet?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Is it April yet?

Man invented calendars to answer such mysterious questions. Get one. Preferably the White Sox World Series Champions one.

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 02:04 PM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

MLB isn't ready for the 7 man rotation!

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
:hawk

"Where's he gonna play?"

MLB isn't ready for the 7 man rotation!

Contreras might be gone after this season unless we re-sign him. He'll surely be gone by 2009. Vazquez will surely be gone by the season after next (if we don't deal him this offseason, during the 2006 season, or next offseason).

I hate to say this, but there's a good chance Buehrle will be gone after next season (or is he signed through the 2007 season?) as both he and Garcia are free agents and I think Garcia will more than likely stay but Buehrle maybe a little difficult to keep around. I hope not because I love the guy, but his price will be very, very high. The guy has a career record of 85-53, 3.63 ERA, 1172.2 IP in 5 full season (234 IP+/season!), has been very healthy, is left-handed, is very young (turns 27 before Opening Day), and is a great clubhouse/promo guy.

If we lose Buehrle, I hope not, then KDub will be even more inclined to get Prior (not season or even the next - just to clarify things).

Baby Fisk
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
If we lose Buehrle, I hope not, then KDub will be even more inclined to get Prior.
I don't think Kenny is inclined to get Prior in the first place. Right now he is building the 2006 team.

Uncle_Patrick
12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I believe the Buehrle is signed through 2007.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't think Kenny is inclined to get Prior in the first place. Right now he is building the 2006 team.

I'm speaking in terms of looking ahead, not what Kenny is doing right now, rather what he might do when the situation arises. I know the situation has not arose yet, but we are not Kenny Williams and we do have the freedom and time to look ahead and try to see what can happen.

The first line I wrote was "I know this is VERY pre-mature". If you're going to restate that over and over in your own words, go for it. I just got the idea of Prior wanting to leave the Cubs and why not stay in Chicago, just move south 7 miles.

Cubsuck_a_lot
12-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I believe the Buehrle is signed through 2007.

yeah, marks signed thru 07, along with freddy. buehrle was quoted in the Cubune today. he was at a sportswriters convention in StL, and he said he wanted to stay witht he SOX for his entire career, and then, once again, gave a shout out to his Cardinals saying even if it were for one game at the end of his career, he would love to pitch for the Cards. nothing new, but at least its a recent quote about him wanting to stay in chicago. take it for what its worth...

Uncle_Patrick
12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't think there is any indication of Prior "wanting" to leave the Cubs. He's on the trading block because the Cubs know that its going to take offering up someone like Prior or Zambrano to make a blockbuster deal and, frankly, Zambrano has proven more reliable, and therefore more valuable, to the Cubs organization.

Kenny is going to make a push for whatever the Sox need. If, in 2009, the Sox need another starter and if Prior has proved himself to be the consistent ace he was touted to be, then maybe Kenny goes after him. But those are big "ifs".

Tekijawa
12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I haven't figured out why he'll be available in 2009 yet... can someone fill me in? I thought that he was only locked up through 2007 with his wierd contract...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I haven't figured out why he'll be available in 2009 yet... can someone fill me in? I thought that he was only locked up through 2007 with his wierd contract...

He's arbiteration eligible until the 2009 season when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. I don't know exactly why, considering 2008 will be his 7th year in the big leagues and you are only arbiteration eligible your first 6 years, but I've heard it all over the radio, newspapers, internet.

DumpJerry
12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Contreras might be gone after this season unless we re-sign him. He'll surely be gone by 2009. Vazquez will surely be gone by the season after next (if we don't deal him this offseason, during the 2006 season, or next offseason).

I hate to say this, but there's a good chance Buehrle will be gone after next season (or is he signed through the 2007 season?) as both he and Garcia are free agents and I think Garcia will more than likely stay but Buehrle maybe a little difficult to keep around. I hope not because I love the guy, but his price will be very, very high. The guy has a career record of 85-53, 3.63 ERA, 1172.2 IP in 5 full season (234 IP+/season!), has been very healthy, is left-handed, is very young (turns 27 before Opening Day), and is a great clubhouse/promo guy.

If we lose Buehrle, I hope not, then KDub will be even more inclined to get Prior (not season or even the next - just to clarify things).
I have my nominee for Head Dark Cloud 2006. Congrats Fan84!

Tragg
12-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Mark Buehrle was and continues to be the most important player for KW to sign.
I thought we had Vasquez for 3 more years; can't see how he's that valuable if we have him for only 2 more years, especially considering the player we had for only 1 more year is considered of "no value" by many.

delben91
12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Mark Buehrle was and continues to be the most important player for KW to sign.
I thought we had Vasquez for 3 more years; can't see how he's that valuable if we have him for only 2 more years, especially considering the player we had for only 1 more year is considered of "no value" by many.

Yeah, since Vazquez demanded a trade, after the last 2 years of his contract expire, he becomes arbitration eligible for a year. So the Sox have control over him for 3 years.

As for the original post, only Sox fans could find a way to worry about 2009 in the offseason following a world series victory.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I have my nominee for Head Dark Cloud 2006. Congrats Fan84!

You will be alone in that campaign. I'm one of the more optimistic White Sox fans alive.

Brian26
12-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I think this would be Kenny's biggest inidividual move of his career.

A.) I've got a problem with any Sox fan who salivates over an injury-prone Cubs pitcher.

B.) I could name a dozen pitchers off the top of my head that I'd rather have before Prior.

C.) KW's biggest career move was winning the World Series.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-28-2005, 10:41 PM
A.) I've got a problem with any Sox fan who salivates over an injury-prone Cubs pitcher.

B.) I could name a dozen pitchers off the top of my head that I'd rather have before Prior.

C.) KW's biggest career move was winning the World Series.

a) i know talent when i see it, what can i say. if he was on the red sox, yankees, angels, etc., all of you guys would be drooling at the thought of picking him up. but love is blind, and some of us are choosing to let our love for our sox blind us from seeing what mark prior can be when he's healthy (how did he do against us at the cell earlier this year? 6 shut out, 1 hit innings first first game back?)
b) i would love to see that list. try to be unbias and realistic if you can, i know its hard, but just try it. forget "DOZENS", if you can name 10 starting pitchers you'd choose over Prior to have on your squad (think long term, we dont want one year rentals) that make sense, ill be shocked.
c) winning the world series wasn't an INDIVIDUAL move. it was a bunch of moves that all went our way and eventually led to him winning the world series. no one single move led to the world series, so it's not his biggest individual move because it doesn't qualify.

Brian26
12-28-2005, 10:52 PM
b) i would love to see that list. try to be unbias and realistic if you can, i know its hard, but just try it. forget "DOZENS", if you can name 10 starting pitchers you'd choose over Prior to have on your squad (think long term, we dont want one year rentals) that make sense, ill be shocked.

1. Mark Mulder
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Roy Oswalt
4. Dontrelle Willis
5. Bartolo Colon
6. Roy Halladay
7. Tim Hudson
8. Johan Santana
9. Josh Beckett
10. Barry Zito

Off the top of my head.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2005, 02:49 AM
1. Mark Mulder
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Roy Oswalt
4. Dontrelle Willis
5. Bartolo Colon
6. Roy Halladay
7. Tim Hudson
8. Johan Santana
9. Josh Beckett
10. Barry Zito

Off the top of my head.

ill give you oswalt, halladay, santana right off the bat.

maybe dontrelle (if he keeps it up, definately going to give you dontrelle)

pedro should not be on that list because i said THINK LONG TERM, and you didn't.

not colon (how did he do for u in the ALCS last year? oh that's right! his fat ass couldn't make it to the mound)

hudson..... close call, but id give prior the slight edge. prior, 25, hudson, 30. prior, .640 career winning %, hudson, .688. prior, 3.24 career era, hudson, 3.33. you have almost the same exact pitcher here but one is 5 years younger.

josh beckett? see hudson but even hudson is better than beckett. so if i think prior > hudson and hudson > beckett, that about says it all.

zito? are you an a's fan in hiding? 27 years old. 3.50 career era, .619 career winning %. prior > zito.

mulder? ill make this one quick, Hudson > Zito > Mulder.

Out of the 10 you named, 3 (halladay, santana, oswalt) ill give you hands down. MAYBE 4 (dontrelle), 5 if i really stretch it (hudson).

Pureone
12-29-2005, 03:24 AM
1. Mark Mulder
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Roy Oswalt
4. Dontrelle Willis
5. Bartolo Colon
6. Roy Halladay
7. Tim Hudson
8. Johan Santana
9. Josh Beckett
10. Barry Zito

Trying to be unbiased here:

I would take Prior over Mulder and Pedro no problem.
Oswalt is a better pitcher.
Willis is a better pitcher if he pitches like he did this year. Colon is a better pitcher.
Halladay is just as good as Prior.
I would take Prior over Hudson and Zito, and Beckett just sucks.
Santana is the best pitcher on your list.
----------
Back to being biased...

Vazquez over Prior!

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 04:20 AM
ill give you oswalt, halladay, santana right off the bat.

maybe dontrelle (if he keeps it up, definately going to give you dontrelle)

pedro should not be on that list because i said THINK LONG TERM, and you didn't.

not colon (how did he do for u in the ALCS last year? oh that's right! his fat ass couldn't make it to the mound)

hudson..... close call, but id give prior the slight edge. prior, 25, hudson, 30. prior, .640 career winning %, hudson, .688. prior, 3.24 career era, hudson, 3.33. you have almost the same exact pitcher here but one is 5 years younger.

josh beckett? see hudson but even hudson is better than beckett. so if i think prior > hudson and hudson > beckett, that about says it all.

zito? are you an a's fan in hiding? 27 years old. 3.50 career era, .619 career winning %. prior > zito.

mulder? ill make this one quick, Hudson > Zito > Mulder.

Out of the 10 you named, 3 (halladay, santana, oswalt) ill give you hands down. MAYBE 4 (dontrelle), 5 if i really stretch it (hudson).
Dontrelle has had more recent success than Prior, is younger, and is left-handed. I take him hands down over Prior.

Pedro is a better pitcher than Prior and will probably be for 2-3 more years. Tough to compare the two b/c predicting anything beyond a couple of years out isn't even worth it. But it is even more risky with Prior b/c he has experienced both freakish injuries and chronic injuries, so that is a major red flag to long-term success.

Hudson has been a better pitcher than Prior throughout his career. There is really no disputing that. Over the last 5 years, Hudson was terrific in the AL. Prior has thrown over 170 innings once in his career. Hudson has done that each of the last 6 years and the results were anywhere from dominant to very good. Part of being a good pitcher is actually being able to take the mound on a regular basis. Last year, Hudson's first in the NL, he put up very similar numbers as Prior. Hudson had the better ERA, while Prior had the better WHIP. Prior's big advantage over Hudson is his age, which only means something if he his healthy, which is a risk.

Your argument for Colon makes zero sense. Here, you discount him b/c he was injured for the ALCS, yet Prior gets a pass for missing significant time each of the last 2 years? You need to be consistent with your arguments. In fact, it's ridiculous to discount Colon based on his ALCS injury. The guy has thrown 200+ innings every year since 1998, with the exception of 2000, when he threw 188. He had bad/average years in 2001 and 2004, but otherwise has been very good in the AL.

You are also off on Zito. His career ERA is .26 higher than Prior's, yet he has pitched his entire career in the AL. Also, he has pitched more than 200 innings each of the last 5 years. Being left-handed is also an advantage as good lefties are scarce.

Mulder is an interesting comparison. Again, the big thing he has going for him is that he takes the mound every 5th day. He has also had 1 or 2 dominating years. And last year, his first time in the NL, he put up similar numbers to Prior. Being left-handed, again, is an advantage. Probably a toss-up b/c Prior has shown no ability to stay healthy.

Beckett is probably the best comparison amongst this group to Prior. They are the same age, have similar results over a similar time frame, and neither has been able to consistently throw 200+ innings. I'd put Beckett and Prior in the same category: potentially great stuff, but no proof yet they can take the mound every 5th day.

The biggest problem you have arguing for Prior against most dominant pitchers in MLB is that Prior simply has not shown he can stay healthy. Two of his injuries have been freak, but others have been the type that could become or already are chronic. While he usually has terrific "stuff" that means absolutely nothing if he is not dependable. Prior needs to string together 2 seasons being injury-free and also dominating to be considered one of the top pitchers in the game. The bottom line is that Prior has the potential to be an ace, but has yet to show he can do it. I value those who have shown they can be an ace over time rather than those with the potential.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Beckett is probably the best comparison amongst this group to Prior. They are the same age, have similar results over a similar time frame, and neither has been able to consistently throw 200+ innings. I'd put Beckett and Prior in the same category: potentially great stuff, but no proof yet they can take the mound every 5th day.

Beckett and Prior are the same two pitchers?

Beckett's career winning %: .547 (7 games over)
Prior's career winning %: .640 (18 games over)

Prior's career ERA .24 points better.

Both are the same age.

Best Regular Seasons
Beckett, 2005: 15-8, 3.37
Prior, 2003: 18-6, 2.43

When Prior is dominant, he owns the opposing team. And he does it start after start after start. Prior is usually dominant everytime he's out there with the exception of when he's injured or the one in five starts in which he's human. Beckett? I hardly see him as dominant. He's good and I love what he did in the playoffs in 2003, but put Prior in the same situation and he may have done the same if not better. Heck, that postseason, Prior was better!

Pedro is a better pitcher than Prior and will probably be for 2-3 more years. Tough to compare the two b/c predicting anything beyond a couple of years out isn't even worth it. But it is even more risky with Prior b/c he has experienced both freakish injuries and chronic injuries, so that is a major red flag to long-term success.

I think Pedro's future depends on how he does this year. I don't think he has 2-3 years left in him, I hope he does though. I really like watching this guy pitch and I love his personality. He's had a tremendous career, but just like Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson, he can go from Cy Young to done in one year. Johnson went from 16-14, 2.60 ERA with the Diamondbacks in 2004 (would've won 25 games if he was on almost any other team) to 17-8, 3.79 ERA last year with the Yankees. Many will argue he still had a great year, numbers wise, but he had too many games where his age started to show. Now, yes, Johnson is 42 and Pedro is "34" (I'll give him 39 at the very least), but if you were to ask me who I'd rather have at the top of my rotation for the next 2-3 years, Prior or Pedro? I'd take Prior.

Your ONLY argument is health and yes it is a huge concern, BUT, at the sametime, you are pretty much saying that if Prior didn't have health issues, he'd be the best pitcher in baseball. If all you're going to throw at me is health, if he overcomes that problem in the next couple of years, in YOUR eyes, he will be the best pitcher in the game. We shall see.

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 04:59 AM
First, I don't pay much attention to W-L when evaluating a pitcher, mainly b/c that relates directly to the team they play on.

As for Beckett, his ERA is slightly worse than Prior's (.22). Beckett also has a better 2005 and has proved he can win the big game in the playoffs (if that counts for anything). They are similar pitchers IMO b/c they both have the stuff, but neither has been healthy.

Also, I never said Prior will be the best pitcher in the game if he is healthy. I said that is a MAJOR stumbling block he needs to overcome to even be considered amongst the best in the game. If he can actually throw 200+ innings 2 years in a row, and he puts up dominating numbers, then you have an argument that he is an ace. Until then, there is not much of an argument, IMO.

As for Pedro, who knows. He was great last year. He is getting old though, so it is tough to predict. Just as Prior has not put together any consecutive great seasons, so it is tough to predict what will come of him.

Bottom line is that health is a MAJOR concern with Prior. Until he shows he can take the rigor of a couple full MLB season and also produce at a dominating rate, he is not an ace.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2005, 05:09 AM
Bottom line is that health is a MAJOR concern with Prior. Until he shows he can take the rigor of a couple full MLB season and also produce at a dominating rate, he is not an ace.

I can completely agree with that.

If Prior can stay away from Marcus Giles on the basepaths (look at Rafael Furcal's reaction loool)...
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-07-12-inside-prior-gil.jpg

...and not get in the way of Brad Hawpe's line-drives...

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050527/050527_prior_hmed_2p.hmedium.jpg

...he can finally either prove himself as not only the best college pitcher ever, but also as one of the best MLB pitchers ever OR he can shut me up lol. If he takes the first route, I hope he does it outside of the Urinal and hopefully does it for the White Sox.

ilsox7
12-29-2005, 05:10 AM
My biggest concern with Prior is with his achilles and his elbow, both of which have shown problems over the last couple of years.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-29-2005, 05:16 AM
My biggest concern with Prior is with his achilles and his elbow, both of which have shown problems over the last couple of years.

Well, come on now man. He's only a few years removed from his days at USC near Balco. It takes a few years to have those things clear your system and for your body to not be dependent on them anymore. :D:

RallyBowl
12-29-2005, 12:30 PM
:crossdresser :whocares :bundy :threadblows:

And so does Prior.

santo=dorf
01-16-2006, 05:28 PM
1. Mark Mulder
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Roy Oswalt
4. Dontrelle Willis
5. Bartolo Colon
6. Roy Halladay
7. Tim Hudson
8. Johan Santana
9. Josh Beckett
10. Barry Zito

Off the top of my head.
no
yes
maybe
yes
maybe
yes
no
yes
absolutely not
not for USCF

I would take Felix Hernandez over Prior too.

Hangar18
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
The Messiah isnt going anywhere. He all but said to the Cubs at their convention that he will sign for any price, he wants to stay. Why wouldnt he? He was mobbed with mad love by the Chicago Media before he even threw a pitch and realizes he will NEVER have it this good and be the toast of the town as he is right now.

Ol' No. 2
01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Jeez. Did we run out of ideas for unfounded speculation threads for this year?:cool:

TomBradley72
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm speaking in terms of looking ahead, not what Kenny is doing right now, rather what he might do when the situation arises. I know the situation has not arose yet, but we are not Kenny Williams and we do have the freedom and time to look ahead and try to see what can happen.

The first line I wrote was "I know this is VERY pre-mature". If you're going to restate that over and over in your own words, go for it. I just got the idea of Prior wanting to leave the Cubs and why not stay in Chicago, just move south 7 miles.

A million things can happen by 2009.....pretty hard to predict what might happen with an injury prone/high potential pitcher and a team who's rotation is locked up for what KW is calling a three year window ('06-08)...

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 05:55 PM
no
yes
maybe
yes
maybe
yes
no
yes
absolutely not
not for USCF

I would take Felix Hernandez over Prior too.

loool, whattt???? put mark prior in safeco and watch his stats.

and what's your thinking behind this anyway? that prior's unproven? and hernandez is???

Dan Mega
01-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Santana is the best pitcher on your list.

Santana is the best pitcher on earth.

Chisox003
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM

and what's your thinking behind this anyway? that prior's unproven? and hernandez is???
Hernandez is 19 and hasn't battled a boatload of injuries.

I'd "gamble" on him over Prior in a heartbeat.

DaleJRFan
01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Beckett? I hardly see him as dominant. He's good and I love what he did in the playoffs in 2003, but put Prior in the same situation and he may have done the same if not better. Heck, that postseason, Prior was better!

:?: :o:

Keep digging, dude. I knew you were crazy when you argued with Ol No 2. No one argues with him and wins, no one.

Evidentially, you watched exactly NONE of the 2003 NLCS or the World Series. Beckett out-dualed Prior and also threw a shutout in Yankee Statium to win the ****ing World Series.

So you know talent when you see it, right??? Then tell me, how many shutouts does Prior have in the World Series?? :?:

Right, none. :cool:

santo=dorf
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Based on cost and potential. Guess what? Felix's ERA was lower on the Road than home last year. Look at the guy's stats before making a blind assessment.

King Felix's road stats: 2.37 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 4.33 GO/AO :o: , 8.31 K/9

Yeah, he's pretty good.

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
We sure get a little carried away on these boards sometimes. Can't we just be satisfied having one of the deepest rotations in the game without arguing ferociously about it?

I like the arms of both of these guys, but to get so happy over a 19 year old with four major league wins or another guy with bad mechanics who never spent a full season in the rotation is not worth it.

And for arguments sake, I would not trade Beckett or Burnett for ANY of the guys we currently have, including Vasquez.

Remember, you are fans of a World Champion, don't go bonkers over fantasy rotations.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
:?: :o:

Keep digging, dude. I knew you were crazy when you argued with Ol No 2. No one argues with him and wins, no one.

Evidentially, you watched exactly NONE of the 2003 NLCS or the World Series. Beckett out-dualed Prior and also threw a shutout in Yankee Statium to win the ****ing World Series.

So you know talent when you see it, right??? Then tell me, how many shutouts does Prior have in the World Series?? :?:

Right, none. :cool:

What's the biggest knock on Prior? Injuries. What's Beckett's biggest problem? Thanks. So you're going to take Beckett because of what he did in a one month stretch? Compared that stretch to Prior's stats that same time period, Prior was better. Put Prior in the W.S. vs. the Yankees and who knows what might have happened. But that argument is pointless because it was just a handful of games that one player was part of and the other wasn't.

Prior, 41-23, 3.24 ERA, 97 GS
Beckett, 41-34, 3.46 ERA, 107 GS

What were we arguing again? :?:

Based on cost and potential. Guess what? Felix's ERA was lower on the Road than home last year. Look at the guy's stats before making a blind assessment.

King Felix's road stats: 2.37 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 4.33 GO/AO :o: , 8.31 K/9

Yeah, he's pretty good.

There's one HUGE state you're leaving out, number of starts. I'm not doubting his potential. But don't confuse potential with performance (which so far he's been brilliant). And don't confuse success in a single season with long term success. If he does great this season like he did last season, I won't have an argument. But at the moment, I'll take Prior over Hernandez.

Chisox003
01-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Remember, you are fans of a World Champion, don't go bonkers over fantasy rotations.
We already do have a fantasy rotation....

soxinem1
01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
We already do have a fantasy rotation....

Okay, I'll clarify.

Don't get greedy, we already have a great rotation, let's leave it be.

santo=dorf
01-17-2006, 09:58 PM
There's one HUGE state you're leaving out, number of starts. I'm not doubting his potential. But don't confuse potential with performance (which so far he's been brilliant). And don't confuse success in a single season with long term success. If he does great this season like he did last season, I won't have an argument. But at the moment, I'll take Prior over Hernandez.

...and I clearly wrote "based on potential and cost" in regards to King Felix. I would take Prior over Felix for 2006 right now as well, but I might not be thinking the same thing before the 2007 season.

For the doubters who think Felix wouldn't be ready for our rotation in 2006 based on the number of games he pitched in, you all must not be ready to give McCarthy a shot either because he threw 17 innings less than Felix in 2006.

Tragg
01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
This makes me wonder, do you think Kenny Williams would go all-out in trying to bring this guy to the southside?

"All out"?
Lord, I hope not.

I prefer the current approach - get 5 high quality pitcher rather than get 1 reputed "great" (dubious with Prior) and 2nd rate stuff to fill spots 4 and 5.