PDA

View Full Version : Matsui to sit out World Baseball Classic

Fenway
12-27-2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getsp.pl5?sb20051228a1.htm

"I have decided not to join up with the national squad. I know that it would be ideal to play for both club and country, and I understand that (Japan manager) Sadaharu Oh and the fans were hoping I would do that," said Matsui in a statement.
"But the reason I decided to go to the United States was to try and become a world champion with the Yankees, and I fear that chasing two goals might get in the way of that dream," he said.

ondafarm
12-27-2005, 11:01 PM
What a chump!!!

SOX ADDICT '73
12-27-2005, 11:03 PM
First Pay-Rod and now Matsui - Steinbrenner must be leaning on his boys pretty hard to back out. If any other nations were counting on Yankees to fill out their WBC rosters, they'd better forget it.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Big surprise eh?

Lip

ilsox7
12-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Take note, Sox players. Hell, copy and paste his statement into a press release ASAP.

MUsoxfan
12-28-2005, 01:23 AM
This is one thing I have to admire Steinbrenner for. As an owner I certainly wouldn't want my multi-million dollar players playing for a sham of an event at the risk of them getting hurt. I wish JR and other owners would do the same

RKMeibalane
12-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I support Matsui's decision to sit out the WBC. The same goes for Alex Rodriguez, and any other player who decides not to participate. As members of the New York Yankees, the first priority of these players is their franchise, not to Bud Selig's Springtime Masturbation Fest.

White Sox players should be paying attention. I would hate to see the Sox repeat hopes dashed because of any injury suffered in an exhibition tournament that counts for absolutely nothing. The World Series matters. Bud Selig's ego doesn't. The man is a pathetic fool, and he can be replaced.

HomeFish
12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Well aren't you guys a bunch of cynics.

The popularization of baseball internationally is, for the long-run, extremely healthy for the game. In just the last two years we recieved impact players from a talent source that has previously been untapped for MLBers (Japan), we know about that first-hand. Bud Selig should be praised, not faulted, for trying to create more Japans, more Dominican Republics, more Venezuelas. Even if that doesn't succeed, he should be praised for at least taking care of the international sources of MLBers and at least keeping them at their current levels. If baseball begins to lose popularity as a sport for atheletes to enter in those countries, MLB will suffer.

I don't see anything wrong with what Bud Selig is doing here. There are no events comparable to the WBC and I think the WBC could very well spark interest or at least maintain interest at current levels.

Before you start yelling "Olympics" at me, realize that baseball will -always- be overshadowed at the Olympics, because it is not the only sport there, and that furthermore because the Olympics occur during the summer they will never attract the same sort of talent that the WBC is attracting. Something integrated with MLB and the MLB schedule is the way to go.

ilsox7
12-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Well aren't you guys a bunch of cynics.

The popularization of baseball internationally is, for the long-run, extremely healthy for the game. In just the last two years we recieved impact players from a talent source that has previously been untapped for MLBers (Japan), we know about that first-hand. Bud Selig should be praised, not faulted, for trying to create more Japans, more Dominican Republics, more Venezuelas. Even if that doesn't succeed, he should be praised for at least taking care of the international sources of MLBers and at least keeping them at their current levels. If baseball begins to lose popularity as a sport for atheletes to enter in those countries, MLB will suffer.

I don't see anything wrong with what Bud Selig is doing here. There are no events comparable to the WBC and I think the WBC could very well spark interest or at least maintain interest at current levels.

Before you start yelling "Olympics" at me, realize that baseball will -always- be overshadowed at the Olympics, because it is not the only sport there, and that furthermore because the Olympics occur during the summer they will never attract the same sort of talent that the WBC is attracting. Something integrated with MLB and the MLB schedule is the way to go.

Except, of course, the sole purpose behind this farce is money. It has nothing to do with the "internationalization" of the game.

HomeFish
12-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Except, of course, the sole purpose behind this farce is money.

Money is ultimately the sole purpose behind many, many things in our society, Major League Baseball included. Every player on the 2005 White Sox was in it for the money, every team is in it for the money. Baseball exists as a means of generating profits.

Internationalization will ultimately translate into profits for MLB; overseas merchendise sales, overseas broadcasting, and, heck, even the money that fans will pay to see an increased number of superstars and the results of a larger talent base for the game. Moreover, the WBC can popularize the game worldwide even if that is not the reason Bud Selig brought it into existance. Things can have unintended consequences, and I would argue that structurally the WBC is very capable of sport popularization.

ilsox7
12-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Money is ultimately the sole purpose behind many, many things in our society, Major League Baseball included. Every player on the 2005 White Sox was in it for the money, every team is in it for the money. Baseball exists as a means of generating profits.

Internationalization will ultimately translate into profits for MLB; overseas merchendise sales, overseas broadcasting, and, heck, even the money that fans will pay to see an increased number of superstars and the results of a larger talent base for the game. Moreover, the WBC can popularize the game worldwide even if that is not the reason Bud Selig brought it into existance. Things can have unintended consequences, and I would argue that structurally the WBC is very capable of sport popularization.

Well, I guess I just don't see how Mike Piazza taking the field for Italy and facing, say, MB in an AB and having MB pulled from the game mid-AB b/c he had reached his pitch count level is going to do any good for the game of baseball.

Maybe if we were actually showcasing baseball it could work. But since this farce isn't even the game of baseball, I don't see how it can do any good.

lumpyspun
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
As far as I'm concerned the WBC already exists, its called the Little League World Series. Let that event "internationalize" the sport. Those kids are there for the fun and excitement of it and get more out of it then our major leaguers will.

RKMeibalane
12-28-2005, 12:27 PM

And I suppose the Cubs are in it "for the love of the game," right? Give it up. Your act is way past old.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Reinsdorf would never do anything to insult his close friend Selig so that's why he didn't order the Sox players to sit out. (Even though he should have in no uncertain terms....the Sox players first obligation is to their franchise and their fan base.)

It is not worth the risk however small of Buehrle, Garcia, Vasquez or Iguchi getting hurt over this farce.

If something is going to happen let them get hurt in a game that counts or preparing in an enviroment where the team trainers and manager are around to monitor things.

Lip

Fenway
12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Steinbrenner has no problem taking money from Japan in the form of big ads in right field and selling Yankees games to TV outlets there.

HomeFish
12-28-2005, 02:51 PM
And I suppose the Cubs are in it "for the love of the game," right?

Eh?

every team is in it for the money.

MasQbellesa
12-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Ticket sales are not what they thought they were going to be. Still plenty of "cheap seats" available in Anaheim. Do you guys think that they'll sell out? I think that as big name players drop out...so will interest. We'll see.

HomeFish
12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I actually like the idea of using the Little League World Series as a way of popularizing baseball. But remember that youth sports doesn't always translate into adult sports. Otherwise we'd be a soccer superpower.

The issue with the Olympics and with other international baseball events (indeed, international sporting events in general) is that they lack legitimacy because the best players in the world do not compete. The WBC is the first to break that. I think that's why it has so much potential.

ondafarm
12-28-2005, 07:49 PM
. . . The issue with the Olympics and with other international baseball events (indeed, international sporting events in general) is that they lack legitimacy because the best players in the world do not compete. The WBC is the first to break that. I think that's why it has so much potential.

It's the first sport that most Americans are familiar with that does this. Rugby definately pulls in the top players, soccer does as well. Basketball is unique in getting second or third rate players on the USA squad typically.

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 08:22 PM
And the best players in the world are NOT competing in this farce either are they? Anyone see how many great players have said 'no?'

This is as bad as the All Star popularity contest farce.

Lip

ilsox7
12-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I actually like the idea of using the Little League World Series as a way of popularizing baseball. But remember that youth sports doesn't always translate into adult sports. Otherwise we'd be a soccer superpower.

The issue with the Olympics and with other international baseball events (indeed, international sporting events in general) is that they lack legitimacy because the best players in the world do not compete. The WBC is the first to break that. I think that's why it has so much potential.

We are actually in the process of becoming a super power in the socer world. We just missed out on a top 8 seed at this World Cup. And we've also been ranked in the top 10 in the world on a consistent basis the last few years.

HotelWhiteSox
12-29-2005, 07:14 AM
A lot of the league's best players come from countries other than the U.S. There's no need for it to become more international, they shouldn't force it on countries like Italy who don't care about the sport, just like many Americans don't like the idea of having soccer forced on them. Both sides don't fully understand the respective sports, it's not something you learn in 3 hours. Even if you did want to broaden the horizon though, it's obvious that the goal of this is money for Uncle Bud. If he set this up on the basis of pride, he's an idiot because everyone knows the U.S. won't take the title. The respective countries probably already know/follow good players from their own countries, so unless people get wowed by an opposing player, I doubt this would work as intended anyways. Not to mention all the eligibility holes, people not participating, how managers will be under tight scrutiny to not over work players, this has disaster written all over it and I think the All Star Game is a great comparison.

HomeFish
12-29-2005, 11:23 AM
It's the first sport that most Americans are familiar with that does this. Rugby definately pulls in the top players, soccer does as well. Basketball is unique in getting second or third rate players on the USA squad typically.

Ok, that just strengthens my point that baseball will be inherently overshadowed at the Olympics, because it will -never- attract top players in baseball. Again, look at when the summer Olympics typically are and when the MLB Season is. Not gonna happen.