PDA

View Full Version : Da Mayor Likes Our Chances In 2006

whitesoxwilkes
12-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Just bumped into Hizzoner in the lobby of my building. Walked over and shook his hand (my coworkers were kinda shocked I just strolled over) and told him I was a fellow Sox fan. He looked right at me and said "I think we've got just as good a chance next year."

So we've got that going for us.

:bandance:

INSox56
12-27-2005, 04:23 PM

All I can think of when you said that is Caddyshack.....LOL

mike squires
12-27-2005, 04:26 PM
I shook The Fabulous Moolah's hand once.:redneck

DumpJerry
12-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Better yet, I've had Cub fans tell me the same thing.

batmanZoSo
12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Just bumped into Hizzoner in the lobby of my building. Walked over and shook his hand (my coworkers were kinda shocked I just strolled over) and told him I was a fellow Sox fan. He looked right at me and said "I think we've got just as good a chance next year."

Den I like ar chances..:thumbsup:

whitesoxwilkes
12-27-2005, 05:14 PM
All I can think of when you said that is Caddyshack.....LOL

Big hitter, the Mayor.

MUsoxfan
12-27-2005, 05:14 PM

...which is nice

34rancher
12-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Big hitter, the Mayor.
'Hey, Mayor, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

INSox56
12-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Big hitter, the Mayor.

LMAO NICE!

MarySwiss
12-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Geez, I hope youse guys realize that youse are quoting Bill Murray, who---IIRC--took his lumps over his apparently windsock-like allegiances.

Personally, I always liked the guy. Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, it's usually something unusual.

Lee Harvey, you are a madman!

Theanticub
12-27-2005, 11:31 PM

I work at the Chicago Board of Trade.., walked out of my building, and walked south on what would be la salle., saw him walking into the Chicago board Options Exchange. I asked him, "(this was right before game 1 of the world series) Anxious for the series to start?" He said, "No, anxious for the celebration to begin."

hsnterprize
12-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Me and my 3-year-old son went to the Rally Monday before the ALDS vs. Boston. Mayor Daley was signing autographs after all the ceremonies were done. I'd talked with him before because I used to cover City Hall for my radio station's news department. When I got close to him, I asked him, "Are you going to tell Cubs fans to 'get a life' and support our team like you told Sox fans to do with the Cubs a couple of years ago?" He just laughed.

soxwon
12-28-2005, 07:30 AM
I shook The Fabulous Moolah's hand once.:redneck

i had a drink with moolah and mae young then we went .......
oh its that dream again lol

whitesoxwilkes
12-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I work at the Chicago Board of Trade.., walked out of my building, and walked south on what would be la salle., saw him walking into the Chicago board Options Exchange. I asked him, "(this was right before game 1 of the world series) Anxious for the series to start?" He said, "No, anxious for the celebration to begin."

Classic!

I work in the tower behind the CBOE, that's where I saw him yesterday.

Baby Fisk
12-28-2005, 09:31 AM

I can't decide if you are Truman Capote or Forrest Gump for all the celebrity encounters and historic events you keep mentioning you were at. :cool:

The Deacon
12-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Big hitter, the Mayor.

- Long

daveeym
12-28-2005, 10:57 AM
I work at the Chicago Board of Trade.., walked out of my building, and walked south on what would be la salle., saw him walking into the Chicago board Options Exchange. I asked him, "(this was right before game 1 of the world series) Anxious for the series to start?" He said, "No, anxious for the celebration to begin." Daley's cool, he's always out and about. He's often just walking around the loop on nice summer mornings before the morning rush. He'll wave to you if you catch his eye or shake your hand if you go up to him.

I was with a bunch of future inlaws at Wicked last night and at intermission we were telling them how we ran into Daley coming out of the bathroom during the intermission at the Lion King the year before. They asked about his body guards. I just laughed and said I've never seen Daley out and about with body guards. It's his town, he doesn't need em.

soxfan13
12-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I work at the Board of Options HIS HONOR works out at the LaSalle Club which is in the tower behind us

Beauty35thStreet
12-28-2005, 06:17 PM
This thread is ridiculous :D:

I work at the Board of Options HIS HONOR works out at the LaSalle Club which is in the tower behind us

Realist
12-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Close encounters with Da Mayor? Okay, I'll throw my story into the ring.

One day years ago I was working as hotel security at the Congress Hotel. Da Mayor was to be doing a luncheon and press conference in the Gold Room that day. Suddenly I gotta call over my radio of disturbance in front of the hotel. I ran up the stairs from the basement, turned the corner at near top speed right by the former flower shop, and wammo! There I was heading straight at da Mayor. He was a few steps ahead of his body guards or whoever those two big guys were, and he was also moving along at a pretty good clip.

We both slammed on the breaks and were suddenly nose to nose. I had to take a step back to even recognize who he was. Thank gawd we were both able to stop on a dime 'cause I was 6' 260lbs. and if would have slammed head on, the impact of the collision would have only been out done by me being torn limb from limb by the bodyguards trying to untangle us.

Da mayor safely made it to his conference and I was able to stop the homeless guy in front of the hotel from selling his Street Wise newspapers to a bunch of pidgeons picking at stuff on the sidewalk - A happy ending.

HomeFish
12-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I think its telling that when Daley hosted the National Conference of Mayors in 2005, he took them to a Sox game. He spread them out all over the stadium. I sat next to the mayor of a small town in Mississippi in the Lower Reserved seats in right field.

Of course, the Sox lost in a blowout. It was that Jose Contreras start against Arizona. Must have been a bit embarassing for the guy.

Blueprint1
12-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I think its telling that when Daley hosted the National Conference of Mayors in 2005, he took them to a Sox game. He spread them out all over the stadium. I sat next to the mayor of a small town in Mississippi in the Lower Reserved seats in right field.

Of course, the Sox lost in a blowout. It was that Jose Contreras start against Arizona. Must have been a bit embarassing for the guy.

Not really there are 162 regular season games. One game doesnt really make a season. I bet the guy saw the sox win it all in october.

dlee120
12-28-2005, 07:43 PM
i wanna share my story too...

My younger brother graduated infantry training the same time as his son at Fort Benning Georgia. My brother knew his son, so at his graduation ceremony I had my bro introduce me to his son pat...in turn i got to shake the Mayors hand and get a picture with him. It was a neat experience. It didnt occur to me to talk baseball with him, which shoulda been my first thought. It was very early in the baseball season, April 15th was the day i believe.

side note - he had surpisingly soft hands.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Wait wait...I got one too....

I was driving south down LSD with a co-worker on a way to a customer location. I was driving(WS Champs frame, bumper sticker on the rear window, LaSalle Bank giveaway banner in rear passenger windows). A black Lincoln was in the center lane, moving along....we got up next to it (driver's side), and it was Da Mare....he was reading something, looked up, his driver beeped at us, and he smiled and gave the thumbs up. Which, of course, I happily reciprocated.

bighurt2719
12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
sloth from the movie goonies lives in bangor, MI. i never saw him or shook his hand, but there it is.

Baby Fisk
12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Mayor Daley visited Toronto earlier this year (http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsrel.nsf/0/d96be4b403fdaf188525700600609871?OpenDocument). On that day, there was no crime in Toronto, the retail economy set a single-day profit record, pollution was eliminated and everyone fell in love. After Mayor Daley left, the skies darkened and no birds sang.

(This thread is about to go Chuck Norris!)

Siestaclaud
12-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Gotta share my mayor Richie story too.....

Game 2 WS - Raining -
We sit in section 139 Row 31 - Mayor sits in 138 Row A or something like that.
After the game everyone was filing out and my 11 year old son and I headed down the stairs toward the field to soak in the celebrating closer to the field (we do that after almost every game). Out of the corner of my right eye I saw that I was literally standing next to the mayor. I pulled out my cell phone and his body guard said "go ahead, he has been taking pictures with people all day"!

Instead, I called my dad who had been at my house the last 48 hours watching my 3 other kids so I could go to the WS. I said "dad, hold on a second someone wants to say HI!" I then tapped the mayor on the shoulder and said "Your Honor, could you please say hi to my dad who is home babysitting my kids so I can be here? His name is Pete!" Richie took the phone from my hand and said "HEY PETE - RICH DALEY HERE! WHAT A NIGHT! GO SOX!". And just like that he handed the phone back to me!

WHAT A GUY! That was an incredible moment after an incredible night!

Claudiahttp://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/ap_photo/20051003/all/l1586475.jpg