PDA

View Full Version : Sox Pride DVD Review

sox1970
12-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Just watched the Sox Pride DVD yesterday for the first time. Overall, I liked the coverage up until the Sox got to the playoffs. You can tell they worked very hard on the regular season stuff, which is great. I would have like to see more highlights of the playoff/WS games. The runtime was 1:05. They could have added 10 more minutes and had a lot more postseason clips. They left out the play when Juan Uribe went into the stands in the 9th inning of Game 4. That's bad. Also, their bonus parade/rally coverage was weak. At least show Paulie giving the ball to Reinsdorf.

DannyCaterFan
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I could not agree more. I just got the video for Christmas. It was good, but edited way too short. The extras are great though.

HotelWhiteSox
12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I think it's because they want you to buy the World Series DVD, which focuses more on the postseason and gives some quick regular season highlights.

I'll have to pick it up as I only got the World Series DVD one for Christmas (enjoying it very much so far - only annoying thing is how they have to throw the Flubs in the opening ad right away, now I've learned to be quick to hit the 'Title' button), but I saw the Sox Pride one on Comcast and enjoyed it. I agree the playoff coverage was short, but I assumed it's so people pick up the other one as well.

VenturaFan23
12-27-2005, 11:42 AM
They left out the play when Juan Uribe went into the stands in the 9th inning of Game 4. That's bad.

That's exactly what I thought when they showed game 4. I agree with everyone else, a lot of regular season and they sped up with the playoffs. It was still great though. Also, was it me or did we see too much of Takatsu? :?:

SOXSINCE'70
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Both DVD's are excellent.:cool: The "Sox Pride" DVD doesn't go into as
much detail on the WS,but stresses the regular season.The WS
DVD (which I just bought at Best Buy with a gift card) is very
in depth on Post Season play.The "Extras" are good on both DVD's,but the
fact that they trimmed a verse from "Let's Go Go Go,White Sox" on the
"Pride" DVD ticked me off.I would have liked to have seen the
whole 1959 WS film on the "WS" DVD (they only spotlight game 1)
as well.The film was only 23 or so minutes. But once again,
that's just me.I'm a nitpicker.

mike squires
12-27-2005, 11:55 AM
DOes it show Frank's return and the late inning comeback on Memorial day? How about A.J's homerun against the Dodgers to beat them??? I want to get out to Best Buy and see if they have it here in Champaign, but it would be a waste of time. I'll bet you anything they don't have it.

doublem23
12-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll echo the sentiments expressed. Even though there is some overlap of film, for the most part, the Sox Pride DVD is better for the regular season and the World Series DVD is better for the play-offs. Some of the extras are tremendous, too. The Jumbotron Opening sequence on the Sox Pride DVD, the "Go Go-Go White Sox music montage."

Well worth it, IMO. Shell out some cash and support your World Champs. :thumbsup:

SOXSINCE'70
12-27-2005, 12:03 PM
DOes it show Frank's return and the late inning comeback on Memorial day? How about A.J's homerun against the Dodgers to beat them???

No to question #1,yes to question #2.

mrwag
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I've not watched my World Series DVD yet (kids eating up too much time), but I did get to watch the Sox Pride. I loved it. If you like the Sox at all, you need to get it. No question.

NonetheLoaiza
12-27-2005, 01:35 PM
DOes it show Frank's return and the late inning comeback on Memorial day? How about A.J's homerun against the Dodgers to beat them??? I want to get out to Best Buy and see if they have it here in Champaign, but it would be a waste of time. I'll bet you anything they don't have it.

When I was down there for school, I called up, and they told me that they didn't have it because 'we are in the St. Louis market'. I was kind of confused, but nothing in Champaign really has Sox stuff.

StockdaleForVeep
12-27-2005, 03:13 PM
When I was down there for school, I called up, and they told me that they didn't have it because 'we are in the St. Louis market'. I was kind of confused, but nothing in Champaign really has Sox stuff.

Thats the pain of bein down here, my mum lives in granite city, next to collinsville and its all cardinal or cub stuff, because thats the demographic of fans here. There is a sports store in town and its 95% cardinals, and the rest of other teams but they have cubs and not sox. I asked one time, they claim its cuz the owners of the store are cub fans

jamesto
12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Just went looking for Sox Pride today and Best Buy does not have it. Best Buy only has the World Series dvd. Borders on north prospect does have lots of the Sox Pride dvd including stacks right by the registers. It was marked at $19.99, but rings up at the promotional price of $14.99! They have the World Series dvd too.

EJ

DumpJerry
12-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Blah blah blah.....both DVD's feature the Chicago White Sox sweeping the World Series! That fact alone makes them the greatest DVD's ever released!:D:

BTW, I think Amazon is selling the Sox Pride DVD.

mike squires
12-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Just went looking for Sox Pride today and Best Buy does not have it. Best Buy only has the World Series dvd. Borders on north prospect does have lots of the Sox Pride dvd including stacks right by the registers. It was marked at $19.99, but rings up at the promotional price of $14.99! They have the World Series dvd too.

EJ

I think I'll be strolling over there tonight. Thanks a lot.

And welcome aboard. May yo not become as addicted as I am!

MUsoxfan
12-27-2005, 05:53 PM
The only thing I was really disappointed in the disproportionate time they spent on the 6 Cub games that we split. I think emphasizing the Twins and Indians games would have been a little more meaningful

DumpJerry
12-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I think I'll be strolling over there tonight. Thanks a lot.

And welcome aboard. May yo not become as addicted as I am!
Don't worry Mike, Jamesto joined in June, 2004 and waited until today to make his first post. Methinks James is a very patient man.....

Crede_Fan
12-27-2005, 06:08 PM

EJ

Saw it at Walmart yesterday for $12.99. The one I was at had a ton of them. They were at the register displays, but not in the electronic dept.

mrwag
12-28-2005, 09:08 AM
The only thing I was really disappointed in the disproportionate time they spent on the 6 Cub games that we split. I think emphasizing the Twins and Indians games would have been a little more meaningful
I felt the same way. I was thinking that the Cubs games were a nice jab, but they shouldn't have spent so much time on them and should have focused on our real rivalries within the division and some of the big games. I would have even liked to have seen how JG handled the Angles, which is when I think he really showed his maturity and how he became a real pitcher.

Baby Fisk
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
BTW, I think Amazon is selling the Sox Pride DVD.
Unless I'm a complete imbecile, I can't find it on Amazon. :(: I dread having to order from MLB.com again (they botched one of my post-season orders).

The Deacon
12-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Unless I'm a complete imbecile, I can't find it on Amazon. :(: I dread having to order from MLB.com again (they botched one of my post-season orders).

amazon doesnt have it, Borders does though...

mike squires
12-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Saw it at Walmart yesterday for $12.99. The one I was at had a ton of them. They were at the register displays, but not in the electronic dept.

Damn, last night I went ahead and bought it at Borders for 16. Went to Wal Mart afterwards and saw it for 13. I guess it's only a few box once tax is considered but it still makes me mad. Video is nicely done. I agree with a lot of the sentiments posted. It seemed a little rushed at times. It is still a must have for any Whitesox fans.

MasQbellesa
12-28-2005, 02:47 PM
I got mine on Christmas morning...saw it that afternoon. Was a little disappointed that they didn't interview any of the Latino players or Iguchi. I would have loved to hear their perspective too. If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading that some of the other videos omitted them also. Too bad, but overall...it was fun reliving those games.

MUScholar21
12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I got mine on Christmas morning...saw it that afternoon. Was a little disappointed that they didn't interview any of the Latino players or Iguchi. I would have loved to hear their perspective too. If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading that some of the other videos omitted them also. Too bad, but overall...it was fun reliving those games.

That really stuck out to me too, but after I thought about it I'm not sure it would have had the same effect as hearing it straight from the players mouths, no buffer.

Was I the only one who got chills watching it (I only have the Sox Pride at the moment)? My eyes welled up the same way they did after Game 4 in Houston was over right at the beginning. Then, watching the player intros, I was just about bouncing off the walls waiting for April 2. I think every time I am craving baseball until then, I'm just going to put those on again.

StockdaleForVeep
12-28-2005, 05:18 PM
If u cannot find the sox pride dvd, simply do a search for it online, u will find large respository of credible online sellers, most for decent prices

Hangar18
01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
I like the MLB one better. The extras on the SOX PRIDE disc left something to be desired. For instance, the intro montage they play before games ...with all the hilites with the soundtrack Pirates of Carribbean playing, is replaced by some cheesy soundalike song. thumbs down.
That intro the SOX play is one of the coolest things ive ever seen ......
and the music suits it perfectly. Wish that was on there ......

Baby Fisk
01-03-2006, 09:42 AM
For instance, the intro montage they play before games ...with all the hilites with the soundtrack Pirates of Carribbean playing, is replaced by some cheesy soundalike song. thumbs down.
There must have been an issue with licensing for use of the music.

soxfan1983
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
one thing i wish they wouldve included on either dvd was the team singing "Don't Stop Believing" or even have that music in the background. i love that song.

Jurr
01-03-2006, 09:16 PM
A part of that video that you've gotta love is when Hawk is talking about Podsednik's walk off and he throws in that jab...."Remember the light hitting outfielder we traded Carlos Lee for????"

Classic.

RadioheadRocks
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
One thing on the DVD that puzzled me for a while was at the beginning of the playoffs segment. Right before we hear Ozzie's quote, "Don't be happy just to make the playoffs... win this thing!" there was another Ozzie quote that was nearly indecipherable, almost sounding like it was recorded backwards! I wonder if anyone else thought the same thing.

Anyway upon really close listening I finally discovered that it was Ozzie saying, "We won 99 games already, can we win 11 more?"

SOecks
01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I have both and think the MLB one is way better. The narrator for the MLB DVD (Michael Clark Duncan?) is much better IMO compared to Hawk on the Sox Pride one. There was something just a lot more timeless and dramatic in the sights, sounds, and production of the MLB DVD. Hawk just sounds a bit too cheesy and homerish to me for a DVD like this. They're both great though.

soxinem1
01-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I liked them both, but Hawk's homerism made the 'Pride' one a little better, the MLB one is a little scripted.

We are a fortunate group of fans here to be able to have a discussion on which World Series video we liked better.

MAN, I LOVE THIS!!!!

IronFisk
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
We are a fortunate group of fans here to be able to have a discussion on which World Series video we liked better.

MAN, I LOVE THIS!!!!

Amen bro!

Both compliment each other, and methinks this was the intent. I too wasn't too thrilled with the "extras" on Pride - maybe showing the ACTUAL rally would have been nice - I mean, DVD's are spacious, no?

I also agree about those cubs comments - just WAY too much emphasis. IMO - they should've dramatized the hell out of that tribe run - making the playoffs look even sweeter (if that's possible).

VeeckAsInWreck
01-05-2006, 09:21 PM
I have both and think the MLB one is way better. The narrator for the MLB DVD (Michael Clark Duncan?) is much better IMO compared to Hawk on the Sox Pride one.

(In Bill Lumbergh Voice)

Umm Yeah.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one"

Michael Clark Duncan couldn't pronounce Tadahito's last name. Listen carefully and you will hear him say "Oguchi" instead of Iguchi.

Hawk did fine, but I do think that Sox Pride totally ignored how Sox fans voted to get Pods in the All Star game.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I like the MLB one better. The extras on the SOX PRIDE disc left something to be desired. For instance, the intro montage they play before games ...with all the hilites with the soundtrack Pirates of Carribbean playing, is replaced by some cheesy soundalike song. thumbs down.

Did they released more than one version of Sox Pride? Or are you comparing Sox Pride to the World Series DVD? :?:

Kilroy
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought that both the DVD's were good. I liked having Michael Clark Duncan's big voice do one, and I enjoyed having a reason to listen to Hawk's voice in January. In both cases, I thought that the drama of the games was lost in the brevity.

I really enjoyed all the behind the scenes bits like Blum talking about how he hoped he might get into the game that he ended up hitting the game winner... ect.

I also really liked seing the Big Hurt show up fairly prominently because he's missing in a lot of the pix and memorabilia.

And it both were a hard reminder of players that I hope we don't miss too much next year, specifically Rowand and El Duque. Mostly Rowand...

ChiSoxLifer
01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I loved them both. Same great ending.

Can't touch this! Hoorah!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Did they released more than one version of Sox Pride? Or are you comparing Sox Pride to the World Series DVD? :?:

YES, Im comparing SOX PRIDE vs the WORLD SERIES DVD by mlb productions

Hangar18
01-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I also agree about those cubs comments - just WAY too much emphasis.

WHEW!! Glad I didnt produce SOX PRIDE or that wouldve been roadhoused too, hehheh

Baby Fisk
01-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I love the extras on the SOX PRIDE DVD. By the end of the "additional season highlights" extra, there's enough adrenalin coursing through me that I want to put my fists through a wall.

The music on the extras isn't that bad, but I agree it lacks a certain something without the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack.

Another good instrumental pulse-pounder is on the Batman Begins soundtrack. Anyone who has it, play track 10 at high volume while watching the highlights. You'll want to put your fists through a wall!

kittle42 moment: White Sox Chairman identified as Jerry Reindsdorf during one of his interview clips.

manders_01
01-12-2006, 10:17 AM
The WS DVD was AMAZING!!! I was cheering through the whole thing and I think I cried more at the DVD then I did when we won the actual game!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

If anyone is still undecided about this purchase, I think is soooooo worth it!