PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Bowl Game?

danman31
12-27-2001, 04:51 PM
I know most of the posters here didn't like the idea of the Fire playing at Comiskey(or whatever it's called), but I'm watching the Seattle Bowl(at Safeco Field) and I'm wondering what you guys think of a bowl game at Comiskey.

:reinsy
"If I make money I like it!"

CLR01
12-27-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by danman31
I know most of the posters here didn't like the idea of the Fire playing at Comiskey(or whatever it's called), but I'm watching the Seattle Bowl(at Safeco Field) and I'm wondering what you guys think of a bowl game at Comiskey.

:reinsy
"If I make money I like it!"

Couldn't happen with out some changes to the park.I dont think Comiskeys dimensions could support a true football field. Besides, if you want a bowl game in chicago take it somewhere football belongs, Soldier Field.

RedPinStripes
12-27-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Couldn't happen with out some changes to the park.I dont think Comiskeys dimensions could support a true football field. Besides, if you want a bowl game in chicago take it somewhere football belongs, Soldier Field.

I agree.

doublem23
12-27-2001, 11:41 PM
Safeco has a dome.... That, and I don't see to many teams (or their fans) jumping on the opprotunity to fly to Chicago in mid-December.

There are too many bowl games as it is.

Daver
12-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

There are too many bowl games as it is.

Yeah but each one is an investment oppurtunity.

Nellie_Fox
12-28-2001, 02:23 AM
First off, I don't want football players tearing up the turf at Comiskey any more than I want soccer players doing it. That said, are there any northern cities without domes hosting bowl games? There's a reward for you kid; go to Chicago at the end of December and freeze your patooties off.

FarWestChicago
12-28-2001, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
First off, I don't want football players tearing up the turf at Comiskey any more than I want soccer players doing it. That said, are there any northern cities without domes hosting bowl games? There's a reward for you kid; go to Chicago at the end of December and freeze your patooties off. Did you learn the word "patooties" in grad school? :smile:

Nellie_Fox
12-28-2001, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Did you learn the word "patooties" in grad school? :smile: lol...No, but I have learned to use euphemisms for words that might get me in trouble if a sensitive student complained to the dean about a hostile classroom environment! I think it's a good idea here on the board as well, where there may be very young children logging on.

FarWestChicago
12-28-2001, 02:36 AM
lol...No, but I have learned to use euphemisms for words that might get me in trouble if a sensitive student complained to the dean about a hostile classroom environment! I think it's a good idea here on the board as well, where there may be very young children logging on. Tell me about it. I have learned to use different terminology at work and here than I do in real life. Well, I was using my normal language at work Wednesday. It was a rough day. :smile:

Spiff
12-28-2001, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Tell me about it. I have learned to use different terminology at work and here than I do in real life. Well, I was using my normal language at work Wednesday. It was a rough day. :smile:

Everything is not going as planned huh?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2001, 10:58 AM
Will Seattle continue to hold their bowl game in Safeco Field after the new stadium for the Seahawks is completed? I'm pretty sure that stadium is designed for football only.

I'm confused why Seattle would start playing a bowl game when they don't have their football stadium ready. Have there been construction delays for the Seahawks' new facility?

As for playing football at Comiskey, I'm sure the size of the playing field can accommodate it. As Fire soccer fan Halamadrid pointed out, even a soccer field could be fitted into Comiskey. They are just as long and much wider than American football fields.

A bowl game at Soldier Field would be the perfect spot if it had a dome. Does anybody else remember the old College All-Star exhibition game they used to hold there each July against the previous season's NFL champion? What a joke that was!

:gulp:

danman31
12-28-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Will Seattle continue to hold their bowl game in Safeco Field after the new stadium for the Seahawks is completed? I'm pretty sure that stadium is designed for football only.
They are moving the game to the Seahawks new stadium next year, but if by some odd reason someone came up with a Chicago bowl game next year they would have to go somewhere else than Soldier Field...

doublem23
12-28-2001, 12:47 PM
That said, are there any northern cities without domes hosting bowl games?

The Humanitarian Bowl is in Boise, Idaho.. No dome, but kickass blue turf!

doublem23
12-28-2001, 12:49 PM
lol...No, but I have learned to use euphemisms for words that might get me in trouble if a sensitive student complained to the dean about a hostile classroom environment! I think it's a good idea here on the board as well, where there may be very young children logging on.

Won't someone think of the children? :)

Nellsin
12-28-2001, 01:15 PM
Does anybody else remember the old College All-Star exhibition game they used to hold there each July against the previous season's NFL champion? What a joke that was!

:gulp:

Sure do. I was working summers at the McCormick Inn hotel (long gone) in the 70's when the Dolphins stayed there -- they came to town to play the College All-Stars at Soldier Field. Twice, I think. The games were indeed a joke but it was cool meeting Csonka and all those guys if only to give them their room keys. I realize I am dating myself badly here but there's no use trying to hide my agedness anyway. :cool:

CLR01
12-28-2001, 05:46 PM

I'm confused why Seattle would start playing a bowl game when they don't have their football stadium ready. Have there been construction delays for the Seahawks' new facility?

As for playing football at Comiskey, I'm sure the size of the playing field can accommodate it. As Fire soccer fan Halamadrid pointed out, even a soccer field could be fitted into Comiskey. They are just as long and much wider than American football fields.

The Seattle Bowl has been played there since 1998; it was originally the Oahu Bowl. The bowls co owners both want the game to be moved to the new Seahawks stadium when it is complete.

As for Comiskey, you could probably squeeze in the actual football field, 120 by 53.3 yards, or 360 feet by 160. It would definitely be a tight fit, plus, im not sure about this, i would think a safety zone is required from the end of the end zone to the start of the seating to help prevent serious injury from players running into walls and falling into the dugout. Soccer would not need that buffer and with the current dimensions they would have no more than a few feet.

ode to veeck
12-28-2001, 06:01 PM
the winter argument: why would anyone play football outdoors in chicago at the end of the year? --the pros do it, but nonetheless, its a key point here--might be hard to compete with the likes of warmer locations, even those not quite in LA, AZ, or Hawaii or Florida,

--e.g., silicon valley bowl, which is played in San Jose State's "smaller than some high school stadiums" Spartan Field". Temperature delta to Chicago right now is more than 40 degrees, and even though we're in the middle of a three day monsoon here, it ought to be a pretty good game with two of the top NCAA offenses having a points scoring contest, nod to Fresno with the (Mich St) D a sieve when healthy, worse when not

--needless to say, Comiskey probably could fit a football field and sideline, and seat a lot more fans, but could you interest schools in planning to play there if they've got any kind of choice (including staying home)

--then you have to ask, will you get fans to go, especially without local teams' presence

--as for myself, I really love seeing football played outdoors in winter weather--really miss those outdoor Vikings games in the early winter--how bout the bears-giants playoff games from'63 or '85--I remember our bus boys (who had season tix) sitting at the bar drinking coffee in their winter coats for about 6 hours after the 85 game-they never did get warm that night

doublem23
12-28-2001, 06:20 PM
The Seattle Bowl has been played there since 1998; it was originally the Oahu Bowl. The bowls co owners both want the game to be moved to the new Seahawks stadium when it is complete.

The Oahu Bowl was played in Honolulu last year... This is the first year the Oahu/Seattle Bowl has been in Seattle.

CLR01
12-28-2001, 06:31 PM

The Oahu Bowl was played in Honolulu last year... This is the first year the Oahu/Seattle Bowl has been in Seattle.

My bad, i didnt read the entire history page.

Soxheads
12-28-2001, 06:39 PM

Last year, Boise State played at home in that bowl game. Blue turf is kick-azz!

Daver
12-28-2001, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Blue turf is uglier than a mud fence,plain and simple.

CLR01
12-28-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Doublem23

What is so special about blue turf? It sounds like it would be an ugly sight.

doublem23
12-28-2001, 08:30 PM
What is so special about blue turf? It sounds like it would be an ugly sight.

I can't speak for 'Heads, but my post should have read:

The Humanitarian Bowl is in Boise, Idaho... No dome, but kickass blue turf!

Soxheads
12-28-2001, 08:38 PM

I can't speak for 'Heads, but my post should have read:

The Humanitarian Bowl is in Boise, Idaho... No dome, but kickass blue turf!

What's wrong with the blue turf? Its a nice change from green.

Daver
12-28-2001, 08:51 PM

What's wrong with the blue turf?

It's uglier than a bald coon dog with rabies.

Huisj
12-30-2001, 08:26 PM
The only bowl game for outdoors in chicago would be the toilet bowl--a new bowl where they punish the two worst teams in college football by making them go play in the cold wind and snow of chicago in december. don't think it's going to happen though.

Daver
12-30-2001, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
The only bowl game for outdoors in chicago would be the toilet bowl--a new bowl where they punish the two worst teams in college football by making them go play in the cold wind and snow of chicago in december. don't think it's going to happen though.

That's a great idea,you could call it the The Ty-dee Bowl and get Clorox or someone like that to sponsor it.

:)

Jerry_Manuel
12-30-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
That's a great idea,you could call it the The Ty-dee Bowl and get Clorox or someone like that to sponsor it.

I've heard the "new" Soldier Field called the "Toliet Bowl" a few times already. If you've seen the computer designs of it, it does in fact look like a toliet. Strange.