PDA

View Full Version : Glaus to Toronto

doublem23
12-27-2005, 09:17 AM
It's being reported on ESPN, Glaus to Toronto in exchange for Orlando Hudson and Miguel Batista.

OK, so I've been a fan of what the Jays have been trying to do, but I don't 100% get this one. They've got Koskie at 3B, Hinske at 1B, already acquired Lyle Overbay this off-season, and have Shea Hillenbrand who plays 1B and 3B primarily. And they gave up a solid middle infielder to get another corner guy. :?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2270112

Professor
12-27-2005, 09:26 AM
It's being reported on ESPN, Glaus to Toronto in exchange for Orlando Hudson and Miguel Batista.

OK, so I've been a fan of what the Jays have been trying to do, but I don't 100% get this one. They've got Koskie at 3B, Hinske at 1B, already acquired Lyle Overbay this off-season, and have Shea Hillenbrand who plays 1B and 3B primarily. And they gave up a solid middle infielder to get another corner guy. :?:

I agree. Strange move. Unless they are trying to stockpile corner infielders like the WS have done with starting pitching? Rather have the latter than the former. There are rumors of Hillenbrand being moved for an outfielder; but that still leaves 4 players with only three spots in the lineup...?

Flight #24
12-27-2005, 10:36 AM

Watch them deal Koskie/Hillenbrand for a reliever now. That type of trade is much easier to make than one for a big bat. Glaus is a significant upgrade to Koskie/Hillenbrand. Now they can keep one of the latter 2 as a reserve and trade whichever brings more in return.

Rotation: Halladay - Burnett - Chacin - Lilly - Towers with Ryan as the closer
Lineup: Catallanotto leads off with a solid OBP, then they have a middle of the order of Wells, Glaus, Overbay.

Right now, the Jays look like the 2d place team in the ALE, possibly #1 depending on how the pitching turns out for them and the Yanks. IMO While Ricciardi's overpayed for guys and driven the entire market higher, on a talent level, he's done well, and he just made a nice "domino" move by signing BJ Ryan and trading Batista/Hudson for a corner IF upgrade. It's a KW-like move. Yeah, he's locked in some big salaries, but unless the market comes down (unlikely), I wouldn't be surprised if 2 years from now those salaries don't look as ridiculous.

Randar68
12-27-2005, 10:47 AM

OK, so I've been a fan of what the Jays have been trying to do, but I don't 100% get this one. They've got Koskie at 3B, Hinske at 1B, already acquired Lyle Overbay this off-season, and have Shea Hillenbrand who plays 1B and 3B primarily. And they gave up a solid middle infielder to get another corner guy.

I'd be somewhat surprised if Glaus isn't the primary DH at this point.

Flight #24
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM

FWIW - he had Toronto on his no-trade and reportedly agreed to waive it because they agreed to let him play 3B. I'm sure they're figuring that relatively quickly he'll realize that he's healthier and more effective at DH.

doublem23
12-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I agree, but that still leaves them with four players to fill 2 spots.

Jjav829
12-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Strange move for the Jays. I figured Glaus would DH with Koskie at 3rd, but if what Flight said is true, maybe the Jays will split 3B/DH duties between the two to help them both stay healthy.

I would think Hinske and Hillenbrand would be moved now. The Pirates are desperate for a 3B. They might be desperate enough to play Hinske or Hillenbrand there on a regular basis.

Baby Fisk
12-28-2005, 10:06 AM
This move is baffling. Unless Ricciardi really has his mojo going this off-season ala Kenny Williams and plans to move Hinske or Koskie (or both) in a deal for another pitcher? :?:

Lip Man 1
12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Toronto has brought in some good people, major on field changes. It would be nice to see someone other then New York, Boston break the logjam in the East.

Lip

Baby Fisk
12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Toronto has brought in some good people, major on field changes. It would be nice to see someone other then New York, Boston break the logjam in the East.

Lip
Come on Lip, aren't you waiting breathlessly to see if the Red Cubs can bounce back from their shocking elimination to the no-name White Sox last year? Surely the rest of America is!

(I bought my Jays season pass last week. Six games against the defending World Champions! :smile: )

RichFitztightly
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
(I bought my Jays season pass last week. Six games against the defending World Champions! :smile: )

Yeah, but the rest of the time you have to watch the Blue Jays.:wink:

Chisox003
12-28-2005, 03:17 PM
You know, for all the Shea Hillenbrand bashing, the guy had an excellent year in '05. .291, 18 HR's, 82 RBI, 91 runs, 36 doubles ... Put him somewhere between Vernon Wells, Glaus, Koskie and Overbay and that's a pretty dangerous lineup if you ask me.

I think Hinske's the odd man out here, guess we'll see.