PDA

View Full Version : Millwood Signs with Rangers

Fredsox
12-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Poor Injuns.... http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13489985.htm

Frater Perdurabo
12-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Good for the Rangers. Millwood replaces Kenny Rogers at the top of their simply awful rotation, so now they are "breaking even" compared with last season.

Millwood - Adam Eaton - Vicente Padilla - Kameron Loe - Juan Dominguez

Seeing the Rangers pathetic staff (even with Millwood in it) makes me glad I'm a Sox fan and grateful KW has done such a good job stockpiling arms.

jerrykrause4pres
12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
think this will put an end to the Garland to Texas suspicion???

Fredsox
12-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I can hear Boston and Cleveland fans already saying that they didn't really need Millwood anyway as their starting pitching is fine with what they have now.

I agree, their pitching is just fine......

Fenway
12-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Millwood came to Fenway on Friday but the word is he wanted 5 years from Boston.

Way it looks now White Sox could run away and hide with the Central in 06

SoxSpeed22
12-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Good, Boston doesn't get him.

Fredsox
12-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Millwood came to Fenway on Friday but the word is he wanted 5 years from Boston.

Way it looks now White Sox could run away and hide with the Central in 06

There's also the piece about KW gaining more leverage in trade talks with other teams. Any other fully qualified starting pitchers out there besides Garland and Contreras? Every day we get closer to spring training and every day the asking price goes up.

buehrle4cy05
12-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Excellent move by Texas, but one starter can't cure that team. It's a start.

kittle42
12-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Excellent move by Texas, but one starter can't cure that team. It's a start.

Maybe Chan Ho Park is available.

Fenway
12-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I am shocked the Yankees were not sniffing around. Their rotation is nothing to write home about

Dat Funky Motion
12-26-2005, 06:28 PM
The deal is somewhere around 5 years, $52-$55 million

The Rangers' initial offer was 3 years, $30 million+

Way to much money!! The Rangers will never learn!

Frater Perdurabo
12-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Texas still needs more pitching. Adding Jon Garland would be an excellent move for them; a sinkerball pitcher is exactly what the Rangers need.

I'd go with Randar's deeppink idea to offer Garland for Mark Teixeira, with each team getting a 72-hour window to negotiate a long term contract with the player they plan to acquire. If either side cannot come to terms with the player they plan to receive (Garland with Texas or "Big Tex" with the Sox), the deal's off. However, if the sticking point is KW's inability to come to terms with Teixeira, or if the Rangers reject/laugh at the initial offer, I'd "settle" for Hank Blalock, with the Rangers still getting 72 hours to try to ink Garland.

In any case, either Blalock or Teixeira would make Joe Crede expendable, and he could be dealt for bullpen help.

doublem23
12-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I am shocked the Yankees were not sniffing around. Their rotation is nothing to write home about

Yeah, but how much do they already have invested in that ****ty rotation?

Tragg
12-26-2005, 07:07 PM
think this will put an end to the Garland to Texas suspicion???

I would hope - they are only a pitcher or two away from being contenders.

DVsoxfan
12-26-2005, 07:14 PM
I thought those morons said they werent gonna offer 5 year contracts to pitchers anymore...hmmm...great pitcher and a good pickup for the rangers but not at that price. much like w/ the blue jays and burnett/ryan the extra years they gave him are gonna come back to hurt them

cwsfannick
12-26-2005, 07:17 PM
5 year wow. That is probably two years more than any other team was willing to offer. Once again Boras takes the Rangers for a ride.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2005, 07:17 PM
it's 5 years, $60 million, just been confirmed by WGN radio.

I deleted my previous message so nobody confuses the numbers. I thought 5 years, $55 mill for sure, but I guess the Rangers wanted to get this thing done ASAP and didn't mind spending the extra $5 mill. Good for them.

Fredsox
12-26-2005, 07:28 PM

So it logically follows that the Rangers think Millwood is just as valuable as Konerko is to the White Sox. If I ever need an agent I'm hiring Boras.

spiffie
12-26-2005, 07:51 PM
So it logically follows that the Rangers think Millwood is just as valuable as Konerko is to the White Sox. If I ever need an agent I'm hiring Boras.
Or, logically it follows that since the asking price for a pitcher who can lead the AL in ERA seems to be settling in around 10-12 million a year in this market, and that the Rangers desperately needed some pitching, they went out and filled a gaping hole.

The difference between Millwood and what was left in the market at this point was quite a large gap. He would have gotten that deal with Mother Teresa as his agent. And it's not overpriced when that's become the new price. All the more reason to be glad KW got Freddy on the cheap with that deal.

soxfanatlanta
12-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Good move by Texas, but man, 4 years @12 mil a pop! (The 5th can be voided). With that kind of money flying around, Garland's trade value could not get much higher this off season, IMO. Too bad for Cleveland...too bad.

Flight #24
12-26-2005, 08:29 PM

I deleted my previous message so nobody confuses the numbers. I thought 5 years, $55 mill for sure, but I guess the Rangers wanted to get this thing done ASAP and didn't mind spending the extra $5 mill. Good for them.

Ouch. The price of Garland just got settled. Based on age, etc he's pretty well settled into the Burnett/Millwood ballpark, which is basically $11M per on a 5-yr deal. Even at a "in case I get hurt" preseason discount, that's easily 4/$40.

ondafarm
12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Millwood is a good pitcher. Locking him up for that long is a good deal for Texas and for Millwood. I'm glad Millwood is out of the ALCD.

I think Texas will still be looking to upgrade their rotation which is still poor. I think Texas may still be in the market for Graland.

Fredsox
12-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Or, logically it follows that since the asking price for a pitcher who can lead the AL in ERA seems to be settling in around 10-12 million a year in this market, and that the Rangers desperately needed some pitching, they went out and filled a gaping hole.

The difference between Millwood and what was left in the market at this point was quite a large gap. He would have gotten that deal with Mother Teresa as his agent. And it's not overpriced when that's become the new price. All the more reason to be glad KW got Freddy on the cheap with that deal.

Nah, I don't buy it. Millwood ain't that good and neither is Tom Hicks. I think Hicks just fell under the Boras Express again. He's telling himself that "it's the market" but this owner has an absolute track record of paying more than someone is worth and Boras is just coming back for more. If Millwood was really worth that kind of money do you think the Red Sox or the Dodgers would've flinched at paying it? Doesn't make sense.

doublem23
12-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't think it was the money as much as the years. 5 years? Even if the last can be voided, that's an awfully long contract for a guy who's has a rep as being injury-prone (IIRC).

fquaye149
12-27-2005, 12:23 AM
This deal is a laff-riot.

It's hard to believe that we're only one year removed from Millwood's Philly debacle.

Well..at least Ballpark at Arlington isn't a bandbox...:rolleyes:

ChiSoxRowand
12-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Rotoworld is also saying the Rangers are gonna sign Brian Anderson.

Brian Anderson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=5152) - S - Royals (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&majteam=KC)

The Rangers are expected to sign left-hander Brian Anderson before the winter is over, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.
Anderson is recovering from Tommy John surgery and figures to miss at least the first month of the year. After returning, he could go into the rotation, depending on how the pitchers ahead of him are doing. Dec. 27 - 12:24 am et
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13490548.htm)

fquaye149
12-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Rotoworld is also saying the Rangers are gonna sign Brian Anderson.

insert centerfield joke here

DaleJRFan
12-27-2005, 03:41 AM
insert centerfield joke here

nah, rather... "insert BAD starting pitcher joke here"

The Deacon
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM
After his sub-par 2006 performance, the Rangers will be looking to dump Millwood and his salary around All-Star break 2007.
Its actually good to see the Rangers sign a decent pitcher. I have to give them credit for trying and realizing their needs. Something the Orioles havent figured out yet.

Fred Manrique
12-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Texas still needs more pitching. Adding Jon Garland would be an excellent move for them; a sinkerball pitcher is exactly what the Rangers need.

I'd go with Randar's deeppink idea to offer Garland for Mark Teixeira, with each team getting a 72-hour window to negotiate a long term contract with the player they plan to acquire. If either side cannot come to terms with the player they plan to receive (Garland with Texas or "Big Tex" with the Sox), the deal's off. However, if the sticking point is KW's inability to come to terms with Teixeira, or if the Rangers reject/laugh at the initial offer, I'd "settle" for Hank Blalock, with the Rangers still getting 72 hours to try to ink Garland.

In any case, either Blalock or Teixeira would make Joe Crede expendable, and he could be dealt for bullpen help.

Not to start up the rumors and all that again, but I would be shocked if the Rangers would give up Teixeira for any price, let alone only Garland. "Where's he gonna play?" I am not sure, but we could CERTAINLY make room for Big Tex.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-27-2005, 09:19 AM
One of these seasons, does not belong:

2005 - Cleveland - 192 IP, 2.86 ERA, 1.219 WHIP
2004 - Philadelphia - 141 IP, 4.85 ERA, 1.461 WHIP
2003 - Philadelphia - 222 IP, 4.01 ERA, 1.252 WHIP

$60 mil for his Age 31-35 seasons seems a tad high. Look for his numbers to balloon in Arlington.

If healthy - 2006 - Texas - 190 IP, 4.37 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

caulfield12
12-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Where are you going to play Teixeira?

caulfield12
12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
nah, rather... "insert BAD starting pitcher joke here"

Hey, if any old fifth starter is getting $4-5 million per year in this market, Brian Anderson is worth a look. He's a lefty and has had some very competent seasons, including pitching for the World Champion D-Backs team.

He's a high quality individual and a great team guy. The White Sox would have been better off with Anderson as insurance than Tim Redding IMO.

Fenway
12-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Red Sox can't close Millwood deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/27/sox_cant_close_millwood_deal)

The meeting last Friday between agent Scott Boras, pitcher Kevin Millwood, and the Red Sox lasted until 3 or 4 in the morning, as the sides discussed how to bring the American League's 2005 ERA leader to Boston.

Red Sox lose out on Millwood (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118749)
By Tony Massarotti
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/images/redSox/millwoodsm12262005.jpgRoughly a week after the Red Sox lost Johnny Damon to the New York Yankees, the teamís contingency plans are continuing... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118749)]

SouthSide_HitMen
12-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Red Sox can't close Millwood deal (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/27/sox_cant_close_millwood_deal)

The meeting last Friday between agent Scott Boras, pitcher Kevin Millwood, and the Red Sox lasted until 3 or 4 in the morning, as the sides discussed how to bring the American League's 2005 ERA leader to Boston. ( var lastMod = "12/27/05"; var today = new Date(); var year = today.getFullYear(); year = year + ""; var today = today.getMonth() + 1 + "/" + today.getDate() + "/" + year.substr(2,2); if (today==lastMod) document.write("Today's Globe"); else document.write("Boston Globe"); Today's GlobeBoston Globe)

Red Sox lose out on Millwood (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118749)
By Tony Massarotti
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/images/redSox/millwoodsm12262005.jpgRoughly a week after the Red Sox lost Johnny Damon to the New York Yankees, the teamís contingency plans are continuing... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118749)]

Fenway - Does all seven of Boston's GMs have to sign off on a offer / deal before it is an official offer / deal? Maybe that is the issue with all of these free agent loses / near misses. LOL

Go White Sox!!!

DaleJRFan
12-28-2005, 03:19 AM
Hey, if any old fifth starter is getting $4-5 million per year in this market, Brian Anderson is worth a look. He's a lefty and has had some very competent seasons, including pitching for the World Champion D-Backs team.

He's a high quality individual and a great team guy. The White Sox would have been better off with Anderson as insurance than Tim Redding IMO.

From all accounts regarding Redding, he was signed to pick up ST slack for FG and MB pitching in the WBC. If he is successful ala Widger/Ozuna, maybe he makes the team as the 6th guy out of the bullpen.

Besides, Anderson is still recovering from Tommy John surgery and won't be ready to pitch until late May / early June. At that point, the Sox would have zero need for a career 5+ ERA starter with a BP fastball.

Fenway
12-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Fenway - Does all seven of Boston's GMs have to sign off on a offer / deal before it is an official offer / deal? Maybe that is the issue with all of these free agent loses / near misses. LOL

Go White Sox!!!

The situation there is a farce. The one thing they do know how to do is keep revenue coming in. Friend called me from the park this morning and told me they were running tours every 20 minutes because of the crowds. 2,000,000 took the tour this year ( talk about found money )

soxinem1
12-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Not to start up the rumors and all that again, but I would be shocked if the Rangers would give up Teixeira for any price, let alone only Garland. "Where's he gonna play?" I am not sure, but we could CERTAINLY make room for Big Tex.

Where, CF? He's too big to play 3B anymore (outgrew it, much like Thome did) and was below par defensively when he did play there.

soxinem1
12-28-2005, 11:46 PM
The situation there is a farce. The one thing they do know how to do is keep revenue coming in. Friend called me from the park this morning and told me they were running tours every 20 minutes because of the crowds. 2,000,000 took the tour this year ( talk about found money )

In 2003 they had a bullpen by committee. Result: DISASTER
In 2005 they had a INF by committe. Result: DISASTER
In 2006 they have a GM by committee. Result:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:d-5SA0CMlYYJ:upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Nuclear_fireball.jpg/250px-Nuclear_fireball.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Nuclear_fireball.jpg/250px-Nuclear_fireball.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_explosion&h=206&w=248&sz=16&tbnid=d-5SA0CMlYYJ:&tbnh=88&tbnw=106&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dexplosion%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D%26sa%3DG)

TheVulture
12-29-2005, 11:43 AM
. The White Sox would have been better off with Anderson as insurance than Tim Redding IMO.

Ah, remember the bad old days when we'd be arguing Anderson or Redding as our #3 pitcher?:violin: