PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios?

Professor
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
From rotoworld.com

Alex Rios is batting .190 with a 14/2 K/BB ratio in 42 AB in the Puerto Rican League.
The Jays may yet attempt to upgrade from Rios in right field, possibly by using Shea Hillenbrand as trade bait. While Rios has been quite the disappointment, his ability to be a solid defensive center fielder still leaves him with quite a bit of upside. Dec. 26 - 3:24 pm et

I wonder if Rios would cost the Sox much? If not, he might be worth getting to give B.A. some competition for CF. If nothing else, he is a very good defender.

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 03:15 PM
From rotoworld.com

I wonder if Rios would cost the Sox much? If not, he might be worth getting to give B.A. some competition for CF. If nothing else, he is a very good defender.

isn't jerry owens going to be giving anderson competition for the starting centerfield position???

Professor
12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
isn't jerry owens going to be giving anderson competition for the starting centerfield position???

Yes. But Rios has spent a couple of years playing in the show. Just insurance with major league experience...that is all.

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes. But Rios has spent a couple of years playing in the show. Just insurance with major league experience...that is all.

i hear ya... but if you want experience, why not look at eric byrnes who is a poor man's aaron rowand..... i think he would be a great addition to the team and bring the same intensity to the outfield as rowand did.

one thing that i feel everyone keeps forgetting is that at the end of the season ozzie said he wanted another speedster (everyone thought it was pierre).... they didnt resign willie... so maybe he was thinking about owens for the centerfield job. or perhaps there's another deal in the works to get someone... perhaps carl crawford??? that would be nice (wishful thinking though). put him second in the lineup. WOW! i hate speculating though, because with KW you never know what he is going to do.

NonetheLoaiza
12-26-2005, 03:43 PM
If the Jays don't want him, why would the World Champion White Sox need him?

beckett21
12-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Rios at age 24 has a lot more upside than Byrnes at 29.

While Rios numbers were not extrordinary by any means last season, Byrnes numbers were atrocious. .226 BA with an OBP of .294. Yuck.

I'm not really making an argument for either of them, but Rios has a much higher ceiling. I wouldn't mind if the Sox got him as some insurance. Byrnes has overachieved his whole career. Not a bad characteristic, but he is very limited in the talent department IMO.

I could live with Byrnes as a backup OF if I had to, but hypothetically between the two of them I'd definitely go for Rios. I'd probably rather just stick with our own farmhands rather than pick up Byrnes. Rios is a definite sleeper.

KRS1
12-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Rios at age 24 has a lot more upside than Byrnes at 29.

While Rios numbers were not extrordinary by any means last season, Byrnes numbers were atrocious. .226 BA with an OBP of .294. Yuck.

I'm not really making an argument for either of them, but Rios has a much higher ceiling. I wouldn't mind if the Sox got him as some insurance. Byrnes has overachieved his whole career. Not a bad characteristic, but he is very limited in the talent department IMO.

I could live with Byrnes as a backup OF if I had to, but hypothetically between the two of them I'd definitely go for Rios. I'd probably rather just stick with our own farmhands rather than pick up Byrnes. Rios is a definite sleeper.

Definitely right here, the only thing that stopped Alex from being in the majors at age 21 was that fight or whatever it was with his crazy teammate in winterleague a few years back. He was thought of as a phenom for a while there, and I think he could be a terrific player once he makes up for all those major AB's he missed out on.

Chisox003
12-26-2005, 04:19 PM
This is one of those rare What's the Score suggestions that is actually desirable/do-able...

I've liked Rios for a few years, and he reminds me a lot of Jermaine Dye, just needs to develop some power (which, if you put him in the Cell, might happen quickly)

Wonder what it would take to get him, but I sure wouldn't mind making him our 4th OF

buehrle4cy05
12-26-2005, 05:27 PM
If you bring in Rios and he doesn't start, IMO you have a better backup outfielder than Borchard. Maybe for him, competing with Owens and Anderson would spark him to have a good spring training and season.

batmanZoSo
12-26-2005, 05:32 PM
What about Armando Rios? I heard he's a good utility man with a lot of upside. :o::wink:

beckett21
12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
What about Armando Rios? I heard he's a good utility man with a lot of upside. :o::wink:
I was wondering when someone was going to say that.

:puking:

Alexis >>> Armando :D:

rowand33
12-26-2005, 05:58 PM
i hear ya... but if you want experience, why not look at eric byrnes who is a poor man's aaron rowand..... i think he would be a great addition to the team and bring the same intensity to the outfield as rowand did.

one thing that i feel everyone keeps forgetting is that at the end of the season ozzie said he wanted another speedster (everyone thought it was pierre).... they didnt resign willie... so maybe he was thinking about owens for the centerfield job. or perhaps there's another deal in the works to get someone... perhaps carl crawford??? that would be nice (wishful thinking though). put him second in the lineup. WOW! i hate speculating though, because with KW you never know what he is going to do.

When did people decide that Eric Byrnes was good? I remember on another thread when I described him as a poor man's rowand... that wasn't meant to be a good thing.

He's no prize... the guy put together an ok season in 2004 and followed it up with an awful one last year.

He couldn't hit in Coors for God's sake.

Just because a player hustles doesn't mean we should pick him up.

People, please... stop with the Eric Byrnes talk.

Tragg
12-26-2005, 07:06 PM
If we can get him for nothing, fine. But the Rangers, and Blue Jays are not teams we need to be dealing serious talent to at this time.

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 07:13 PM
When did people decide that Eric Byrnes was good? I remember on another thread when I described him as a poor man's rowand... that wasn't meant to be a good thing.

He's no prize... the guy put together an ok season in 2004 and followed it up with an awful one last year.

He couldn't hit in Coors for God's sake.

Just because a player hustles doesn't mean we should pick him up.

People, please... stop with the Eric Byrnes talk.

i just like him and think he would be a good fit with this team.

Banix12
12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not too thrilled about Rios. I get a Corey Patterson vibe off of him. Toolsy OF with some speed and a little power but he doesn't walk and strikes out a ton.

I'd take him but I wouldn't give up a ton for him. Though certainly he would be a better 4th OF option than anything the sox currently have. Buerhle4cy05, I just don't agree with you that Borchard would be a better 4th OF. Borchard is a 27 year old player who has never shown an ability to hit major league pitching, Rios is 24 and has a .273 avg in two seasons with the Blue Jays. Borchard hasn't hit over .270 since AA.

buehrle4cy05
12-26-2005, 09:43 PM

He signed my mitt once...