PDA

View Full Version : Jason Johnson Signs With Cleveland

NSSoxFan
12-26-2005, 02:34 PM
THIS is the team that is supposed to win the Central in '06?

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2271587)

:o:

Corlose 15
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Cleveland-Millwood-Elarton+Byrd+Johnson=White Sox 2006 ALC Champions.

If course since this is the Sox it could still bite us in the arse but I have a feeling things have changed. :cool:

Scottiehaswheels
12-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Cleveland-Millwood-Elarton+Byrd+Johnson=White Sox 2006 ALC Champions.

Johnson had a 5.54 ERA vs the '05 Sox and Byrd had a 4.86 vs. the Sox including playoffs...

Meanwhile.... Millwood had a 1.32 ERA vs. '05 Sox and Elarton was 5.14 vs Sox...

With our improved offensive capabilities, Indians are gonna hopefully hurt more from not signing Millwood/Elarton than they might think... especially if they don't fill those holes in right, 1B...

MERPER
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Indians sign former Tigers pitcher Jason Johnson to a 1-year deal...

This means they have replaced Scott Elarton and Kevin Millwood with Paul Byrd and Johnson.... is it just me, or have they taken a step backward here?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm a little more concerned about the Royals.

santo=dorf
12-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Maybe this will keep homefish from the edge. Johnson's road stats 2005:
3-9, 6.66 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, .510 SLG% against :o:

Johnson sucks.

HomeFish
12-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Johnson's road stats 2005:
3-9, 6.66 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, .510 SLG% against :o:

Johnson sucks.

And this guy is not very much removed from being Detroit's opening day starter. In which role I bet he put up very similar stats.

You can't rule out the Indians just yet. Injuries happen, players have unexpected career years. Sometimes 25 players have an unexpected career year at the same time.

But if you're gonna worry right now, worry about the Twins. Worry about Luis Castillo and Cy Santana, not Jason Johnson and the black hole where Bullet Bob Howry used to be.

NSSoxFan
12-26-2005, 03:56 PM
But if you're gonna worry right now, worry about the Twins. Worry about Luis Castillo and Cy Santana, not Jason Johnson and the black hole where Bullet Bob Howry used to be.

We'll let you do the worrying...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2005, 04:08 PM
And this guy is not very much removed from being Detroit's opening day starter. In which role I bet he put up very similar stats.

You can't rule out the Indians just yet. Injuries happen, players have unexpected career years. Sometimes 25 players have an unexpected career year at the same time.

You mean like the Indians whole line-up did last year?

Luis Castillio worries you? Give me a break. Johan Santana is a given, he dominates every team, especially us. But you're going to throw Castillio at me? What's he going to do, steal 1st, 2nd, 3rd, home, and our World Series trophy when we're not looking? The Twins worried me last year until the season started. Then we saw what they had and knew they sucked.

Here's how I see the AL Central shaping out if all rosters were to remain as is...
1) Sox
2) Tribe
3) ROYALS
4) Tigers
5) Twins

I like how the Royals are assembling a line-up full of veterans that just love to play the game. They will probably be REALLY bad the first month as Buddy Bell gets the team together. But after that, they should be a team that busts ass every game.

MHOUSE
12-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Johnson has pitched on bad teams his whole career: Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Detroit. Pitching with a solid defense and a good offense behind him, Johnson might be able to post better W-L numbers and ERA. Solid one-year signing for Cleveland, but it doesn't worry me at all. Sox will be in first place for the entire (second) season.

delben91
12-26-2005, 05:21 PM
You mean like the Indians whole line-up did last year?

Luis Castillio worries you? Give me a break. Johan Santana is a given, he dominates every team, especially us. But you're going to throw Castillio at me? What's he going to do, steal 1st, 2nd, 3rd, home, and our World Series trophy when we're not looking? The Twins worried me last year until the season started. Then we saw what they had and knew they sucked.

Here's how I see the AL Central shaping out if all rosters were to remain as is...
1) Sox
2) Tribe
3) ROYALS
4) Tigers
5) Twins

I like how the Royals are assembling a line-up full of veterans that just love to play the game. They will probably be REALLY bad the first month as Buddy Bell gets the team together. But after that, they should be a team that busts ass every game.

I just can't put the Royals higher than 4th. I realize 2 of the Twins' starters are rookies, but from what I saw of Liriano and Baker last year, they've both got talent. They finish higher than the Royals on the strength of their rotation alone.

And while neither team will likely be an offensive juggernaut, I still give the Twins the edge based on Castillo, Mauer, Hunter and Lew Ford.

SoxSpeed22
12-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Luis Castillio worries you? Give me a break. Johan Santana is a given, he dominates every team, especially us. But you're going to throw Castillio at me? What's he going to do, steal 1st, 2nd, 3rd, home, and our World Series trophy when we're not looking? The Twins worried me last year until the season started. Then we saw what they had and knew they sucked.Castillo will probably end up as the #2 hitter, I'd be aware of him, because he's a slap hitter and in the Hump Dome, that can add up to lots of 1st and 3rd, nobody out situations. As much as I'd like for the Twins to finish last, it cannot happen. Cleveland would be our biggest challenge, at least their September schedule is not as soft as it was last year. Just don't let the reporters scare you with their hype about Cleveland, as they did with Minnesota last year.

ondafarm
12-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Johnson does not scare me, the Sox handled him pretty well last year. I do know a few diabetics who are proud that Johnson is able to play relatively unimpeded by his diabetes.

brewcrew/chisox
12-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I guess Shapiro wins GM of the year again