PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Tanner Interview

Lip Man 1
12-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Folks:

Merry Christmas to all! and as a present we hope that you enjoy the WSI Interview with Chuck Tanner.

I really enjoyed speaking with Chuck whom I admired a lot as a kid growing up a Sox fan. He still has that optimistic quality that made him so well liked by his players and he reveals some pretty amazing things....things that I have never heard or seen anyplace else about his days on the South Side.

I hope that the interview will either bring back some good memories or (for the younger set) add more historical information to the period of 1970-1975.

Oh my next phone interview is set for January 10th. I'll be speaking with a former Sox player from the late 50's / early 60's.

Lip

pdr
12-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Great interview. He made so much happen in such a short period of time. Wish there was a way to get him back in the organization, too.

Wsoxmike59
12-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Or at least get him back for a Soxfest appearance. The Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond years were some fun ones for me.

I'm 46 years old and I still think Dick Allen was the most dangerous hitter I ever saw wearing a White Sox uniform.

Frank Thomas would be my second pick in that category. That says a lot for Dick Allen and how good he was!

Medford Bobby
12-25-2005, 09:00 PM
:smile: Ditto that Tanner-Hemond era..it cemented my devotion to the Sox as a kid and indeed Dick Allen is STILL number 1 in my book with Big Frank following right behind. :cool:

IF the club had not had those good years between 1971 and 1974, we'd be seeing the Seattle White Sox all these years...........:o:

Wsoxmike59
12-25-2005, 09:20 PM
I can still see that great swing of his in my mind every time I close my eyes. Allen cocking the bat FW toward the pitcher and then whipping it through the strike zone and just crushing line drive after line drive.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/53290358.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=CA86DF673634365D08BA4EA325F3C736781CF461BB66 06AD

FarWestChicago
12-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Or at least get him back for a Soxfest appearance. The Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond years were some fun ones for me.

I'm 46 years old and I still think Dick Allen was the most dangerous hitter I ever saw wearing a White Sox uniform.

Frank Thomas would be my second pick in that category. That says a lot for Dick Allen and how good he was!Nobody hit the ball harder than Dick Allen, the master of the frozen rope. It's a miracle he never killed a pitcher. :o:

ondafarm
12-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Great interview Lip !!!

michned
12-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Ditto that Tanner-Hemond era..it cemented my devotion to the Sox as a kid and indeed Dick Allen is STILL number 1 in my book with Big Frank following right behind.

The early 70s was a great time to come of age as a Sox fan. I remember going to one of the clinics that Chuck speaks about at the end of the interview at Scottsdale Shopping Center (79th & Cicero). They gave each of us a team poster and there was a blank spot where you could glue a Polaroid shot of you with whatever player/coach was doing photos that day (got mine taken with Joe Lonnett). That poster is in Plexiglass to this day!

Ed

Maximo
12-26-2005, 06:49 AM
I have always listed Chuck Tanner as my favorite Sox manager......that could change with the way Ozzie has been working.......but Tanner resurrected the Sox during his tenure and helped to keep them here in Chicago.

As far as Dick Allen is concerned, I've said it before but he was "worth the price of admission all by himself".

DrCrawdad
12-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Folks:

Merry Christmas to all! and as a present we hope that you enjoy the WSI Interview with Chuck Tanner.

I really enjoyed speaking with Chuck whom I admired a lot as a kid growing up a Sox fan. He still has that optimistic quality that made him so well liked by his players and he reveals some pretty amazing things....things that I have never heard or seen anyplace else about his days on the South Side.

I hope that the interview will either bring back some good memories or (for the younger set) add more historical information to the period of 1970-1975.

Great interview Lip!

Certainly you deserve a press pass from the White Sox, if not for the commute from Idaho...

veeter
12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Great interview. I'm 38, so the Tanner (or red uniform) years, were my first Sox images. Tanner was always smiling. And I just remember Allen always wearing those red, long wool sleeves over his huge arms. They were just great times. Thanks for bringing Tanner's thoughts and comments to the forefront.

Brian26
12-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Nobody hit the ball harder than Dick Allen, the master of the frozen rope. It's a miracle he never killed a pitcher. :o:

It's strange. I was born in '72 and never saw Allen play. I don't think I've seen video of him other than one very short clip on a Sox game last year when they showed one of his homers. The camera angle was behind the plate, so I still couldn't get a read on his stance or how powerful his swing looked. I'm curious why more video of Allen doesn't exist. I know he didn't play with many winning teams, but it seems like a former MVP would be held in higher regard by the baseball media.

FarWestChicago
12-26-2005, 11:15 PM
It's strange. I was born in '72 and never saw Allen play. I don't think I've seen video of him other than one very short clip on a Sox game last year when they showed one of his homers. The camera angle was behind the plate, so I still couldn't get a read on his stance or how powerful his swing looked. I'm curious why more video of Allen doesn't exist. I know he didn't play with many winning teams, but it seems like a former MVP would be held in higher regard by the baseball media.I think it's safe to say he was the most feared hitter in baseball. Not feared as in, "OMG, Barry Bonds is hitting .678 and I have no chance of getting him out." I mean pitchers and third basemen hoping they survived the game. Dick Allen hit the most vicious line drives I've ever seen. :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
12-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Great interview as always Lip!

Lip Man 1
12-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Brian:

I actually am fortunate to have some TV video of Dick including both of his inside the park home runs at Minnesota on July 31, 1972. It's from WFLD-TV with Jack Drees doing the play by play.

The reason more TV video doesn't exist is because as stations converted from film to ENG (electronic news gathering equipment) much if not all of the stored material was thrown away.

MLB for example has no video of any kind from Catfish Hunter's perfect game in 1967 or Steve Carlton's 20 strikeout effort in 1972. Ironically when WGN moved into their 'new' studios on Bradley Place they threw out thousands of rolls of game footage of the Sox and Cubs from the 1950's and early 1960's. (They moved in 1962). No one knew anybody would want it and it cost a lot of money to build air conditioned store houses for these reels of film / tape. Allen played with the Sox at a time when stations were converting exclusively to tape so WFLD and WSNS dumped most of the Sox stuff. Some probably still can be found at the Chicago Museum of Radio and Television.

Regarding Dick himself and the media, may I suggest Craig Wright's exceptional six part bio of Dick which you can find here at WSI under WSI Interviews. It's about as good as it gets providing a historical look at his life, times and career.

Dick was an incredible player but his 'reputation' (fueled by a lot of incorrect information) hurt him tremendously and to be fair some of Dick's own actions were part of the 'resentment' against him by many.

I can tell you from personally seeing the man play including being present for the Sparky Lyle home run and the center field bleacher shot he was an exceptional talent.

Lip

BainesHOF
12-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Lip -

Congratulations on the great interview with Tanner. It brought back some of my very first Sox memories. I specifically remember attending a Sox banquet put on by the Olympic Savings & Loan Association in which I was about 7 and asked Chuck, "How come the Sox win so many games?" I broke up the entire room. Anyway, Tanner's teams were the first Sox ones I followed and they were fun to watch. It was great reading him talk about Dick Allen.

Great job!

wilburaga
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Lip:

Thank you for another enjoyable and informative interview. For anyone that suffered through 1968-1970, Chuck and Rollie were truly redemptive figures. And it's nice to see Dick Allen get some positive ink. What a player.

W

p.s. And thanks for the Peter Marshall/Joanne Dru connection. You're never too old to learn something new.

chisox77
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I enjoyed the Chuck Tanner interview, Lip.

I remember when the Pirates won the World Series in 1979, when Tanner was brilliant in allowing players like Stargell, Madlock, Moreno, Ott, Blyleven, and Garner to blossom into a championship team that was fun to watch - in a way, it was a more talented version of how the White Sox of the early 70s were built (Allen, May, Melton, Hermann, Wood, Bahnsen, etc.). I have some fond memories of the 1972 White Sox, probably one of the best second place teams ever because they were good, and fun to watch.

Chuck Tanner indeed saved the White Sox, and I loved those red pinstripe uniforms. In fact, Tanner started a trend for White Sox managers who began here, and eventually won the World Series (Bob Lemon with the Yankees, Tony LaRussa with the A's, and Jim Fregosi made it to the World Series with the Phillies, and former coach Jim Leyland eventaully won with the Florida Marlins). I've always been proud of the fact that the Sox had a decent track record by hiring some good managers (of course, Ozzie Guillen is the biggest success because he won for our team).

Dick Allen may have been the most talented player to wear a White Sox uniform, but he wasn't here long enough for me to place him ahead of Frank Thomas as the greates hitter I've seen on the south side. But Allen was special, no doubt about it. In fact, I give him credit for getting in Ron Santo's face whenever Santo tried to be the "heavy" in the Sox clubhouse.

Lip Man 1
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Chisox 77:

You need to read Carlos May's interview at WSI. May talks about how Allen lit up Santo on one occasion.

Lip

miker
12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
The reason more TV video doesn't exist is because as stations converted from film to ENG (electronic news gathering equipment) much if not all of the stored material was thrown away.

Ironically when WGN moved into their 'new' studios on Bradley Place they threw out thousands of rolls of game footage of the Sox and Cubs from the 1950's and early 1960's. (They moved in 1962). No one knew anybody would want it and it cost a lot of money to build air conditioned store houses for these reels of film / tape. Allen played with the Sox at a time when stations were converting exclusively to tape so WFLD and WSNS dumped most of the Sox stuff. Some probably still can be found at the Chicago Museum of Radio and Television.

Off-topic, but this is rather sad.:(: Unfortunately, it happens all too often in both baseball history and in other historic areas of study.

Baby Fisk
12-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Great job Lip! I love Tanner's mentality of not being "a company man" and running the team the way he wanted to. He's my favourite manager after Seņor Guillen.