PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox fans living in dreamland

A. Cavatica
12-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Because it's the holidays, I got to see my wife's family today...and they're Red Sox fans. (Not obnoxious ones. I wore my World Series Champions hat, and they were deferential.)

I'm amazed how high their expectations still are, even though their team looks destined for third place. My brother-in-law said he read in the Globe that the Mets were dying to trade Carlos Beltran for Manny but the Red Sox were reluctant. (:redneck) And my nephew was confident that they could acquire Torii Hunter for a discard like Matt Clement. (:tongue:)

Neither one knew anything about Jeremy Reed, who IMHO is a more realistic replacement.

Neither one knows why they traded Renteria, because Julio Lugo is the most realistic candidate to replace him, and nobody's excited about Lugo. My brother-in-law thinks they will get Lugo and Huff from TB, and Huff will replace Manny in left. But they also need a first baseman.

He also thinks the Sox will get Kevin Millwood, trade for a new closer (Lidge?) and clear out all the players who have worn out their Boston welcomes.

So, summing up, Boston will turn Manny, Clement, Wells, and Foulke into Millwood, Beltran or Hunter, Huff, Lugo, a first baseman, and Lidge. Simple!

I don't see them being able to trade Foulke right now, unless they eat salary or take an overpaid player back. We already know it's nearly impossible to trade Manny. Wells is only worth a prospect. Clement figures to have some value, and they have some other trade bait (Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Youkilis, a couple of overrated pitching prospects) but I think the 2006 Red Sox are going to have a bunch of holes.

SoxSpeed22
12-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Would anybody else shed tears if Clement for Hunter happened?

chaerulez
12-24-2005, 10:19 PM
The Renteria trade is really going to back fire if they can't get rid of Marte or find a major league ready SS to replace him. They traded him away like he was virtually nothing, saying that his 30 errors had a lot to do with it. A lot of his errors were throwing errors, and a better 1B could've prevented a lot (Kevin Millar is about as bad as they come defensively). Maybe because he wasn't as aggressive he was on the basepaths had something to do with it, but I think his reduced stolen base totals are more of a refelction on the organizaton's "moneyball" type ball playing.

A. Cavatica
12-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I forgot to mention that some family members actually long for the return of Dave Roberts. The Sox (White) could maximize value from a guy like that, but the Sox (Red) don't steal bases.

kevin57
12-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Because it's the holidays, I got to see my wife's family today...and they're Red Sox fans. (Not obnoxious ones. I wore my World Series Champions hat, and they were deferential.)

I'm amazed how high their expectations still are, even though their team looks destined for third place. My brother-in-law said he read in the Globe that the Mets were dying to trade Carlos Beltran for Manny but the Red Sox were reluctant. (:redneck) And my nephew was confident that they could acquire Torii Hunter for a discard like Matt Clement. (:tongue:)

Neither one knew anything about Jeremy Reed, who IMHO is a more realistic replacement.

Neither one knows why they traded Renteria, because Julio Lugo is the most realistic candidate to replace him, and nobody's excited about Lugo. My brother-in-law thinks they will get Lugo and Huff from TB, and Huff will replace Manny in left. But they also need a first baseman.

He also thinks the Sox will get Kevin Millwood, trade for a new closer (Lidge?) and clear out all the players who have worn out their Boston welcomes.

So, summing up, Boston will turn Manny, Clement, Wells, and Foulke into Millwood, Beltran or Hunter, Huff, Lugo, a first baseman, and Lidge. Simple!

I don't see them being able to trade Foulke right now, unless they eat salary or take an overpaid player back. We already know it's nearly impossible to trade Manny. Wells is only worth a prospect. Clement figures to have some value, and they have some other trade bait (Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Youkilis, a couple of overrated pitching prospects) but I think the 2006 Red Sox are going to have a bunch of holes.

What are those Boston folk putting in their holiday eggnog to come up with this..."fantasy land"? :redneck

The Dude
12-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Nobody ever said one has to be baseball smart to be a Red Cubs fan!:redneck

LuvSox
12-24-2005, 10:59 PM
What are those Boston folk putting in their holiday eggnog to come up with this..."fantasy land"? :redneck

Boston Red Cubs

pearso66
12-24-2005, 11:28 PM
If I was Boston, I would quit looking for a 1st baseman. You put either Lowell or Youkillis at 1st, and the other at 3rd. Or you see what value there is for Youkillis, maybe they could send him with clement, for Hunter + someone else, and throw Marte out at 3rd.

KRS1
12-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey rumor has it the Sawx are looking to get Willie Harris, if that doesnt put them over the top then I dont know what will.

DSpivack
12-25-2005, 03:25 AM
If I was Boston, I would quit looking for a 1st baseman. You put either Lowell or Youkillis at 1st, and the other at 3rd. Or you see what value there is for Youkillis, maybe they could send him with clement, for Hunter + someone else, and throw Marte out at 3rd.

I'd try to deal Youkilis for a decent/average SS and start Marte. Marte/Lowell seems a better option than any.

Clement for Hunter? Both are average-to-slightly above average guys, so I don't see that as a bad thing.

He wants out and nobody wants him, but the Red Sox would be stupid to trade him. There aren't many hitters like him, and they can't get equal value in a trade.

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Or "Fantasy Island".But I can't find Mr.Rourke or Tatoo anywhere.:D: :D:

DumpJerry
12-25-2005, 07:17 PM
It'll be fun watching the GM by committee work this one out....

Fenway
12-25-2005, 07:39 PM

I'm amazed how high their expectations still are, even though their team looks destined for third place.

Haven't you figured it out? Red Sox fans are insane :D:

This sums it up best

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Nation,
We were angry that Johnny gave in to New York’s temptation;
Our Red Stockings were hung when Damon took the dare,
(After Manny told him to get the hell out of here);

The GMs were nervous all snug in their beds,
While visions of an irate Larry Lucchino danced in their heads;
And Edgar in Columbia, with his new Braves cap,
Had just settled down for his annual winter's nap;

When down in the Crown Royal room there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed as it must be some pressing matter;
Away to the tube, turning NESN on in a flash,
I saw the whole GM committee, Charles trying to make a big splash;

Larry stands up to speak, no time for hello,
He’s reporting “Manny to the Mets” is finally a go;
We get a No. 1 prospect, that’s the whole deal,
Now there’s a hole in left field, this all seems unreal;

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a guy in a gorilla suit, and John Henry in the rear;
He stepped out of his costume, looked ready to attack,
This is the big moment, Theo Epstein was back;

More rapid than Roberts his ops guys they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:

"Now, Kapstein! now, Hoyer! now, James and Cherington!
On, Lajoie! on Shipley! on, Jauss and O’Halloran!
To the top of the list! Time to make some calls!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

Players leaving in droves, after the Series flag fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, they take to the sky,
Can Theo trade Wells and poor Matt Clement?
Losing faith in our genius? And his money well spent?

More holes than Swiss cheese, and no idea how to fill ‘em
The fans upset, and miss Manny, Mueller, and Damon;
So down to spring training to Ft. Myers they flew,
With the roster full of boys, and old free agents too.

And then, in a twinkling, he came to the mound,
The prancing and pawing of this new throwing hound,
Laying his finger aside of the seam,
No blisters now thanks to Stan’s Rodeo Cream

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
He went into his windup; then turned with a jerk,
As he threw out his hand, and was coming around,
Down towards home plate, the ball took off with a bound;

He threw like the old Rocket, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment, Beckett was starting to click;
His heater’s mid-nineties, the curve ball has bite,
Let’s mark him down for nine innings a night!

With some new guy in center, A fill-in at short,
A no-name at first, forget run support
But then just like before, Papi let the ball fly,
‘Tek threw out base stealers, hit long drives through the sky,
Lowell had the old stroke back, when he hit ‘em they flew,
They all batted around, Alex Cora too;

I sprang to my feet, to the team gave a whistle,
They circled the bases, Josh threw another missile;
The good times were back for our rebuilt ballclub,

"NO MATTER WHO LEAVES BOSTON, PENNANT FEVER STILL GRIPS HUB"

SOXSINCE'70
12-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Please pardon me while I vomit.:puking:

Deuce
12-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Its more likely that there is a Santa Claus than the Wrong Sox winning the pennant in 2006.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-26-2005, 03:20 PM
...He also thinks the Sox will get Kevin Millwood, trade for a new closer (Lidge?)...
We don't need a seventh starter, and I like Bobby Jenks just fine, thanks.

Nitpicking here, but I believe that on this site "the Sox" refers only to the White Sox. When talking about that other team, choose from any of the following: Boston, Sawx, Red Cubs, Red Flubs, Wrong Sox or Red Sox.

A. Cavatica
12-26-2005, 05:53 PM
We don't need a seventh starter, and I like Bobby Jenks just fine, thanks.

Nitpicking here, but I believe that on this site "the Sox" refers only to the White Sox. When talking about that other team, choose from any of the following: Boston, Sawx, Red Cubs, Red Flubs, Wrong Sox or Red Sox.

Yes. Nitpicking. It's clear from the context, the 'Red' is unnecessary in this case.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Yes. Nitpicking. It's clear from the context, the 'Red' is unnecessary in this case.
Yes. Admittedly nitpicking. It's the first word in the non-teal portion of my post. And your overall context is a White Sox fan site, populated with people who are tired of the national media referring to them as "the Sox" and us as "Chicago AL". The "Red" may not be necessary, but it is appreciated. :cool:

TornLabrum
12-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Yes. Admittedly nitpicking. It's the first word in the non-teal portion of my post. And your overall context is a White Sox fan site, populated with people who are tired of the national media referring to them as "the Sox" and us as "Chicago AL". The "Red" may not be necessary, but it is appreciated. :cool:

Give the media more credit! Rarely do I see us referred to as "Chicago AL" as you assert. Most often I see us referred to as CHW, short for "Chicago Whites" I assume. So to them, we have no "Sox" in our name. Otherwise they would use the more appropriate CWS.