PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Huge 3-way possibly in the works (Cubs/Bal/Oak)

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Cubs Acquire:
Miguel Tejada
Barry Zito

Orioles Acquire:
Mark Prior
Felix Pie
Todd Walker

Atheletics Acquire:
Brian Roberts
2 O's prospects

I heard this from my cousin who said he has read it on a couple of message boards and both boards said that it was being reported during ESPN1000 updates today.

JUribe1989
12-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Absolute steal for the Cubs if true. I hope to God it's not true.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Absolute steal for the Cubs if true. I hope to God it's not true.

I don't know about that. Zito might end up being a one-year rental. Even if he's not, he's been struggling lately AND he's a flyball pitcher who will probably get rocked at Wrigley.

JUribe1989
12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't know about that. Zito might end up being a one-year rental. Even if he's not, he's been struggling lately AND he's a flyball pitcher who will probably get rocked at Wrigley.

I was really hoping for Prior-Tejada straight up because that's a bad trade for the Flubs IMO.

soxfan1983
WOW

wow:o:

ilsox7
Doubt it's true as it'd be an absolutely awful deal for the O's. Then again, it is the O's.

JUribe1989
12-24-2005, 05:55 PM
I haven't seen mention of this on rotoworld or Foxsportsnet or any of the normal reliable sources.

HomeFish
12-24-2005, 06:04 PM
The only way the Cubs don't win the World Series if that trade goes through is if we win the AL and stop them there.

FarWestChicago
12-24-2005, 06:04 PM
The only way the Cubs don't win the World Series if that trade goes through is if we stop them there.:roflmao:

ilsox7
12-24-2005, 06:05 PM
The only way the Cubs don't win the World Series if that trade goes through is if we win the AL and stop them there.

:rolling:

You forgot to use teal, dude.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 06:15 PM

with what rotation??? If Zito/Hudson/Mulder couldn't get it done, what makes you think Zambrano/Zito/Wood or Maddux will?

I don't care how much offense the Cubs will have, it still won't be near as good as the Yankees lineup and how did the Yankees lineup do in the playoffs 2 months ago?

The Cubs will still be the 2nd best team in their division even if this trade does go down.

soxfan1983
12-24-2005, 06:16 PM

:canseco yea,,,, and i was clean of steriods during baseball career...... dude, nothing the cubs do will get them to the playoffs. if they ever do, it will be the end of the world

Daver
12-24-2005, 06:18 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only if Tejada is going to put up 15 wins as a starting pitcher.

Optipessimism
12-24-2005, 06:18 PM

What??

They might have enough to win either the wildcard or division if they are really lucky (simply because the Cards should be a bit weaker), but they don't have enough pitching to go anywhere. Zito + Zambrano is a nice 1-2 punch, and they may be able to do some sneaking in the overall crappy NL, but best case scenario for the Flubs is the AL continues its dominance and improves to 12-0 in the WS over a 3 year span.

Then again, its the Cubs, so they probably will choke at the end of the season no matter what. But, it would be kind of nice to see their fans get their hopes up so high as far as going to the Series, only to be swept into tears as they watch the South Side parade once again. That would be the ULTIMATE kick on the balls.

**EDIT: Just my opinion, but I think the BrewCrew is going to be a big thorn in everyone's side in the NL Central. GO BREWERS!!!

ilsox7
12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
But, it would be kind of nice to see their fans get their hopes up so high as far as going to the Series, only to be swept into tears as they watch the South Side parade once again. That would be the ULTIMATE kick on the balls.

Nope. The Cub is an insignificant part of the baseball world. Meanwhile the Sox are World Champions. It's a much bigger kick in the balls when your team is a 4th place team and the crosstown team is a World Champion. Not that I would know how that feels.

kevin57
12-24-2005, 06:27 PM
It sure is a gang-buster trade, but I don't think it improves the Cubs by much. Oh, their line-up would be much stronger, but as has been said, pitching, pitching, pitching. Maddux is a HOF, and he's still got quality starts in him, but he's no spring chicken.

Tragg
12-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Cubs Acquire:
Miguel Tejada
Barry Zito

Orioles Acquire:
Mark Prior
Felix Pie
Todd Walker

Atheletics Acquire:
Brian Roberts
2 O's prospects

I heard this from my cousin who said he has read it on a couple of message boards and both boards said that it was being reported during ESPN1000 updates today.

Isn't Zito a 1 year rental?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 06:53 PM
:canseco yea,,,, and i was clean of steriods during baseball career...... dude, nothing the cubs do will get them to the playoffs. if they ever do, it will be the end of the world

If i ever become the GM of the Cubs (God forbid!), they will make the World Series. Why, you ask? Here are the moves I would've made...

(Disregard all moves made by Jim Hendry and assume the season just ended...)

- Let Glendon Rusch go (if Maddux wasn't around, he would make a solid # 5)
- Pull off the same Juan Pierre trade
- Trade Patterson and a little cash ($1.5 mill to cover half of Corey is owed) for Ron Villone (instead of overpaying Eyre)
- Sign Chad Bradford, 2 years, $4.5 mill (instead of overpaying Howry)
- Sign Kevin Millwood, 4 years, $46 mill
- Sign Rafael Furcal to the 5 year, $52.5 million deal he wanted
- Sign Benji Molina, 4 years, $32 mill (is that too much?)
- Trade Michael Barrett and Ronny Cedeno (no use for him, Furcal locked up for 5 years) to Arizona for Shawn Green ($8 mill in '06 and $10.5 mill in '07).
- Trade Kerry Wood ($12.5 mill) and Todd Walker ($2.5) to Texas for Alfonso Soriano ($7.5) and Chris Young (was traded for Adam Eaton, I'm sure they would trade him for Wood) [saving $7+ mill here]

Line-up
1) CF - Juan Pierre
2) SS - Rafael Furcal
3) 1B - Derek Lee
4) 3B - Aramis Ramirez
5) 2B - Alfonso Soriano
6) RF - Shawn Green
7) C - Benji Molina
8) LF - Matt Murton

Rotation
1) Carlos Zambrano
2) Mark Prior
3) Kevin Millwood
4) Chris Young
5) Greg Maddux

Bullpen
Ryan Dempster
Chad Bradford
Ron Villone
Todd Wellemeyer
Roberto Novoa
Michael Wuertz
Jerome Williams
Rich Hill

In the end, I'd add about $30 million in salary (which is just about what the Cubs had in mind coming into the offseason). I know it's not this easy to just make these moves happen, but anything can be happen if you try hard enough. Also, don't forget how easy it is to talk free agents into coming to play for the Cubs. I don't get it, I don't see it, but there's something that seems to attract some of these guys. And if you can't tell by all the moves I'd make, I think the current Cubs squad SUCKS.

SoxSpeed22
12-24-2005, 06:59 PM
The A's would really whiff on this one, if it's even true. The Cubs get a former MVP and a former Cy Young winner. (in the same year:o:) This would leave them with...
Zambrano
Zito
Maddux
Wood/Rusch
Williams.
The National League is very wide open this year, because St. Louis is only getting older, same with Houston, Milwaukee is rising, but are not there yet. Anybody can come from the east. I'm not even going to touch the west. This rotation is not very bad, and the offense might be more consistent. Either way, whoever comes out of the NL gets crushed by the White Sox.
EDIT: WhiteSoxFan84, you missed Tekijawa's thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62007&highlight=Cubs+fix+team) about your post.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 07:04 PM
The A's would really whiff on this one, if it's even true. The Cubs get a former MVP and a former Cy Young winner. (in the same year:o:) This would leave them with...
Zambrano
Zito
Maddux
Wood/Rusch
Williams.
The National League is very wide open this year, because St. Louis is only getting older, same with Houston, Milwaukee is rising, but are not there yet. Anybody can come from the east. I'm not even going to touch the west. This rotation is not very bad, and the offense might be more consistent. Either way, whoever comes out of the NL gets crushed by the White Sox.

Maddux, SUCKS! He's a # 5 at best. I'd start Williams ahead of him. Rusch will be decent, nothing better than a # 4. Williams.... fluke. That leaves you with Zambrano, who is a horse if he stays healthy, and Zito, who would probably get rocked in Wrigley and has been very shaky lately (25-24, 4.16 ERA, last 2 seasons) and is starting to look like a # 3 (at best). Kerry Wood we won't even mention because he'll either suck or get injured quickly. If you go into a season and count on this guy being your # 2 or # 3, you are in trouble. So without a real # 2 and with Zambrano still being young and inexperienced, do you really think this rotation will be that good?

gbergman
12-24-2005, 07:06 PM
steal for the Cubs, but this would only make them a wild card contender in my book

SoxSpeed22
12-24-2005, 07:14 PM
do you really think this rotation will be that good?I never said anything about 'good', I said 'not bad.' Which in the National League might be good enough, or 'not bad' enough. Look at the rotation Atlanta had last year, that allowed them to win 90 games. Smoltz, Jorge Sosa and Tim Hudson were the only ones who had an ERA under 4. If the Cubs get just enough pitching, they can be a wild card contender, just not a good one.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Smoltz, Jorge Sosa and Tim Hudson

Smoltz = HOFer
Hudson = possible HOFer
Sosa = phenom

That's one of the best 1-3s in the game.

I wasn't arguing with your previous point, just stating that the Cubs rotation is WEAK. Not "not bad", because it is.

LongLiveFisk
12-24-2005, 07:17 PM
All I can say is that there must be some kind of rift between the Cubs and Prior for his name to be coming up in trade rumors so often. I mean, this is a guy that was supposed to be "untouchable" not too long ago.

SoxSpeed22
12-24-2005, 07:24 PM
just stating that the Cubs rotation is WEAK. Not "not bad", because it is.You are correct about no real #2. The Cubs can't do that kind of patchwork that Atlanta or St. Louis did.

Brian26
12-24-2005, 07:31 PM

Give me a break. Honestly, you're a scrubs fan, right?

kittle42
12-24-2005, 09:45 PM
This whole thread = :rolleyes:

SouthSideLove
12-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Of course this 3-way trade between the Cubs/O's/A's is purely speculation, but there is no way on God's green earth that the Cubs are making that deal happen. For one, the Cubs would never give away Prior for anything, because they've placed that "golden arm" of his on a pedestal. Secondly, I don't know why everyone believes that Miguel Tejada is going to be traded. Yeah, its speculation. Yes, it's fun to dream of him one day donning a Sox uniform. But let's be realistic, the O's ain't giving up Tejada. As for the A's, Zito is not even making that much money. He's not up for Free Agency until after 2007, he's only making $5.6 million, which makes him a cheap Cy Young contender for the A's. So let's stop spreading rumors about this 3-way trade. If it happens, I'll be the first to eat my words, but I ain't counting on it.

Banix12
12-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Cubs Acquire:
Miguel Tejada
Barry Zito

Orioles Acquire:
Mark Prior
Felix Pie
Todd Walker

Atheletics Acquire:
Brian Roberts
2 O's prospects

I would have to see the prospects the Orioles would be sending, one would probably be Hayden Penn I would have to think. My big question here is what do the Athletics need with Brian Roberts when they already have Mark Ellis. I could see all three of these teams getting together on a deal but something smells funny about this particular deal.

RKMeibalane
12-24-2005, 10:05 PM

You are really trying my patience, young one.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I would have to see the prospects the Orioles would be sending, one would probably be Hayden Penn I would have to think.

I heard the names Hayden Penn, Bernie Castro, and Brandon Fahey. This might all be BS but Castro perfectly fits the A's system (41 steals, 47 attemps in AAA).

voodoochile
12-24-2005, 11:32 PM

Why do you post here? I mean it's obvious where your heart lies. Go find some flubbie fans and root with them for whatever you blue clad loser fans root for...

Sweet merciful crap we're a White Sox fan site. Grow some freaking stones man. Put the blue rock down or go find someone who cares...:?:

2400 posts of trolling I swear... Why do we let this clown keep posting?

SOXBOY
12-24-2005, 11:33 PM
The O's need pitch so why would they not take Zito and Prior.Tejada for Prior and prospects doesn't cut it.The O's i think would want payback for Sosa trade and would want Big Z and Zito in the 3-way deal.

Banix12
12-25-2005, 12:04 AM
I heard the names Hayden Penn, Bernie Castro, and Brandon Fahey. This might all be BS but Castro perfectly fits the A's system (41 steals, 47 attemps in AAA).

It's complete BS. There absolutely, positively no way that the Orioles will trade Bernie Castro as part of this deal.

That's because he signed a contract to play with the Washington Nationals two months ago.

Anyway, stealing doesn't make him fit perfectly in to the A's system. The A's frown upon stealing, at least they did in Moneyball. The A's only stole 29 bases all last season and they have a few guys who could really swipe bases if they wanted to.

I could see them going after Penn but I wouldn't see that as a player they would covet enough to make him worth Zito. But right now it would seem to me the last thing the A's need is middle infield help. They seem pretty set with Ellis and Crosby for the next few years. So why acquire Fahey and Roberts?

Fuller_Schettman
12-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Why do you post here?

It's gotta be the patron status.

DaveIsHere
12-25-2005, 12:28 AM

Not to be rude, but I have wondered that myself...............do the right thing and give us all a Christmas present to remember:D:

santo=dorf
12-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Give me a break.

The Cubs are a lock for the Championship yet the defending Champions are involved in an "if" statement?!?!?

I'm surprised you bother mentioning the Sox going to the World Series considering you were ready to hand the division over to the Twins after they traded for Castillo. :rolleyes: I bet Tony Bautista seals the deal for the Twins winning the division eh Sox fan?

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

SoxFan76
12-25-2005, 01:44 AM
This whole thread = :rolleyes:

Yep.

Gotta love the off-season.

Jjav829
12-25-2005, 01:53 AM

:roflmao:

I swear, sometimes I think you are just an act. Just some non-Sox fan on here trying to screw with us all.

But hey, the Cubs would be a lock with Zambrano, Zito, and uh, well, let's see...15 starts from Wood, 7-8 good starts from Rusch and Maddux, Jerome Williams for a few starts. Did I miss anyone?:rolleyes:

kittle42
12-25-2005, 02:31 AM
The O's need pitch so why would they not take Zito and Prior.Tejada for Prior and prospects doesn't cut it.The O's i think would want payback for Sosa trade and would want Big Z and Zito in the 3-way deal.

This post is perfect for this thread.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2005, 03:32 AM
I don't believe this rumor is true. I just heard it and it sounded like it had legit roots and just wanted to share it with everyone incase it winds up being the real deal.

I just don't understand why the Orioles would trade Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts, and two prospects for Prior, Pie, and Walker. I think they can land the trio from the Cubs for just Tejada and the two prospects.

JorgeFabregas
12-25-2005, 09:17 AM
I don't know about that. Zito might end up being a one-year rental.

Isn't Prior also on the last year of his contract?

kevin57
12-25-2005, 10:23 AM

I heard that he has three years left on his contract.

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2005, 11:03 AM

:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,see the mods.Possible board violation.":roflmao: :roflmao:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-25-2005, 02:00 PM

Any team that has him has control of him until the 2009 season. He has one-year left on his current deal and 2 more years of arbitration.

soxinem1
12-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Hope it does happen. Zito can beat the Sox with a broken arm, and we will not be facing the cubs in the WS next year anyway, so make the deal!!

Banix12
12-25-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't believe this rumor is true. I just heard it and it sounded like it had legit roots and just wanted to share it with everyone incase it winds up being the real deal.

I just don't understand why the Orioles would trade Miguel Tejada, Brian Roberts, and two prospects for Prior, Pie, and Walker. I think they can land the trio from the Cubs for just Tejada and the two prospects.

I don't believe that the specifics of this trade are true. I mostly don't buy the two 2nd basemen moving, Walker and Roberts, and as I said before I would have to know more about the Orioles prospects to buy the A's end of the deal (I would have to imagine that the A's would rather have some of the Cubs pitchers like Hill or Guzman, I also know they would like to get a power hitter, preferably right handed).

I can't buy the specifics of this deal as you had them laid out when you heard the rumor but I can buy the idea of these three teams getting together to work something out.

Whitesox029
12-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Cubs Acquire:
Miguel Tejada
Barry Zito

Orioles Acquire:
Mark Prior
Felix Pie
Todd Walker

Atheletics Acquire:
Brian Roberts
2 O's prospects

I'd say that's nowhere near the truth. That sounds like three teams got together and said "Now how can we make the Cubs the best they can possibly be this year?"

soxfan1983
12-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I'd say that's nowhere near the truth. That sounds like three teams got together and said "Now how can we make the Cubs the best they can possibly be this year?"

i agree...

that is not true.

but i disagree that it will "make the Cubs the best they can possibly be this year" even if it did go through, they will still not make the playoffs because they are the Cubs, plain and simple :)

WhiteSoxFan84
12-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Now here's a new twist to the rumored 3-way...

According to two industry sources, there were preliminary discussions between the Orioles, Cubs and Oakland Athletics on a three-way deal that included Tejada, Orioles lefthander Erik Bedard, Prior and Oakland ace Barry Zito heading to new homes. The Birds would get Zito and Prior, the Cubs would get Tejada and the As would add Bedard. But that type of complex trade takes time and is at best a longshot.

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/12/25/columns_sports/jim_williams/001_col_williams.txt

Sox are also mentioned as being one of the at least 7 teams seriously interested in Tejada.

mrwag
12-27-2005, 09:01 AM
If the O's get Zito and Prior, I'd say they are the winners in this deal. We all know now what wins championships (pitching), and you cannot have enough of it. If they could pull that deal off, I could see them contending next year.

The Cubs look to be trying to add a "star" to their lineup, to bring fans in. That's fine, but I'd rather be looking to see what it takes to have fans in those seats come October. Tejada and their starting rotation without Prior ain't gonna do it.

Crede_Fan
12-27-2005, 09:32 AM
If the O's get Zito and Prior, I'd say they are the winners in this deal. We all know now what wins championships (pitching), and you cannot have enough of it. If they could pull that deal off, I could see them contending next year.

If this is how it plays out, then the East is going to be a really tough division.
1. Yankees
2. Jays
3. Orioles
4. Red Sox
5. D-Rays
Unless Boston makes something big happen, I don't see them in the top 3.

Hangar18
12-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Cubs Acquire:
Miguel Tejada
Barry Zito

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I remember saying something about ZITO ending up a Cub, and I was Tinfoiled off the thread. Where do these things start?

FarWestChicago
12-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I remember saying something about ZITO ending up a Cub, and I was Tinfoiled off the thread. Where do these things start?No, you were Flubsessed off the thread. Your Flubsession and tin foiled paranoia are two different afflictions.

Flight #24
12-27-2005, 11:18 AM
FWIW, AM1000 reports that an "official trade proposal" has been made from the Cubs to the O's of Prior+Rich Hill+Patterson for Tejada+Bedard. Apparently to date these discussions had not included an actual proposal for the O's to accept/reject.

Which would the O's prefer: Prior+Hill+Patterson or Garland+Tejada? If I'm KW I give 'em the option of a straight Garland-Bedard swap, but I think they'd probably take the Cubs offer since they'd control al the players involved for longer.
EDIT: Alternatively, would they prefer Garland+Uribe+Bedard if the Sox were to offer? It's likely a downgrade on the SP from Prior to Garland when factoring in reliability v. length of contract, but Uribe>Patterson and Bedard>Hill.

daveeym
12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Give me a break. Honestly, you're a scrubs fan, right? I think another private thread for Homefish needs to be started.

kittle42
12-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I remember saying something about ZITO ending up a Cub, and I was Tinfoiled off the thread. Where do these things start?

No thread about Zito being a Cub has much basis in reality, anyway.

spiffie
12-27-2005, 11:32 AM
FWIW, AM1000 reports that an "official trade proposal" has been made from the Cubs to the O's of Prior+Rich Hill+Patterson for Tejada+Bedard. Apparently to date these discussions had not included an actual proposal for the O's to accept/reject.

Which would the O's prefer: Prior+Hill+Patterson or Garland+Tejada? If I'm KW I give 'em the option of a straight Garland-Bedard swap, but I think they'd probably take the Cubs offer since they'd control al the players involved for longer.
Problem is that they don't really seem like they (the O's) really want to give up Bedard. They seem willing to do so in the right deal, but they aren't interested in dumping him just to make a trade. Why would they trade him just to get one year of Garland (since it's unlikely he would be willing to sign an extension unless they severely overpaid, like 5/70)?

And it wouldn't surprise me to see the Cubs try to get Zito if they do the deal with BAL, since even with Bedard their rotation would be a black hole, and they might be willing to sell the farm to try and shore it up. Otherwise their rotation looks like:
Zambrano
Bedard
Rusch
Maddux
Williams
Wood?

They better get years of 360/60/200 from Lee, Ramirez and Tejada if they want to get to the playoffs with that rotation. And I think they know that, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them throw Pie, Guzman, Ohman, Dopriak, and Cedeno (or some combination of most of them) at Beane to try and get Zito so they have at least 2 respectable pitchers.

maurice
12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
So the Cubs are going to get a Cy Young award winner and a MVP SS for a talented but chronically injured pitcher, a recently injured and unproven prospect, and an IF that nobody wants? That's absolutely ridiculous. Why doesn't Hendry throw in Patterson, so he can get Roberts for the Cubs as well?

It's Time
12-27-2005, 03:58 PM
So the Cubs are going to get a Cy Young award winner and a MVP SS for a talented but chronically injured pitcher, a recently injured and unproven prospect, and an IF that nobody wants? That's absolutely ridiculous. Why doesn't Hendry throw in Patterson, so he can get Roberts for the Cubs as well?

Actually, he did throw in Patterson. Levineline says it's Prior, Hill and Patterson for Tejada and Bedard.

Fredsox
12-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Actually, he did throw in Patterson. Levineline says it's Prior, Hill and Patterson for Tejada and Bedard.

So if I'm the Orioles and Prior + Hill = Tejada, then I'm giving up Bedard for Patterson. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but I don't see the O's pulling the trigger on this at all. I just don't think its what they want.

It's Time
12-27-2005, 05:30 PM
So if I'm the Orioles and Prior + Hill = Tejada, then I'm giving up Bedard for Patterson. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but I don't see the O's pulling the trigger on this at all. I just don't think its what they want.

I think you are looking at this wrong. Prior for Tejada straight up, Patterson and Hill for Bedard. All in all, a pretty good deal for both teams.

beckett21
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
My $0.02, FWIW:

If the Cubs trade Prior, they will regret it.

No doubt in my mind.

bigfoot
12-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Will somebody help me out here? What is the fascination with Bedard? The stats on him, I find are mediocre at best. Plus arm woes? He's not a big guy, 6'-6'1"/192, every scouting report is that he has average "stuff" when he's healthy, which isn't that often. Doesn't last long into a game.

If the Blue Ursine want to deal for him, let them. I don't see the second coming of Ken Holtzman in Bedard.

He has that league minimum salary thing going for him. That's one plus.

Flight #24
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Will somebody help me out here? What is the fascination with Bedard? The stats on him, I find are mediocre at best. Plus arm woes? He's not a big guy, 6'-6'1"/192, every scouting report is that he has average "stuff" when he's healthy, which isn't that often. Doesn't last long into a game.

If the Blue Ursine want to deal for him, let them. I don't see the second coming of Ken Holtzman in Bedard.

He has that league minimum salary thing going for him. That's one plus.

Excellent #s at a young age/minimum salary, and from a lefty. He's recovered from the arm problems, his injury this year was a knee, IIRC. Could be chronic, but not your standard thing to worry about for a pitcher.

Excellent move for the Cubs, not so for the O's.

santo=dorf
12-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Patterson and Hill for Bedard

would be a terrible trade for the O's. Bedard is better than Hill (26 year old rookie next March) and Patterson is expensive garbage.

Palehose13
12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
It's gotta be the patron status.

:?:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-27-2005, 09:40 PM
If this is how it plays out, then the East is going to be a really tough division.
1. Yankees
2. Jays
3. Orioles
4. Red Sox
5. D-Rays
Unless Boston makes something big happen, I don't see them in the top 3.

Don't be so quick to think the Jays are THAT good. Second place in the AL East will probably require 88-95 wins. I don't see 88 wins in that Jays team.

gr8mexico
12-27-2005, 10:29 PM
670AM was saying that the Orioles & Dodgers are very interested in Jon Garland. I think the Orioles are very concerned with Prior's health and would like to have Garland instead. Do you think if they pulled of the trade with the Cubs they would turn around and trade Prior to the Sox for Garland. Because if there getting Hill and Patterson for Bedard that's a steal. I would rather have Prior guaranteed in the rotation then Garland. Maybe Joe Borchard and Garland for Prior or Casey Rogowski and Jon Garland for Prior and let the Sox pickup Prior's moving expenses.:tongue:

TDog
12-27-2005, 10:36 PM
670AM was saying that the Orioles & Dodgers are very interested in Jon Garland. I think the Orioles are very concerned with Prior's health and would like to have Garland instead. Do you think if they pulled of the trade with the Cubs they would turn around and trade Prior to the Sox for Garland. Because if there getting Hill and Patterson for Bedard that's a steal. I would rather have Prior guaranteed in the rotation then Garland. Maybe Joe Borchard and Garland for Prior or Casey Rogowski and Jon Garland for Prior and let the Sox pickup Prior's moving expenses.:tongue:

The Cubs chose Garland to be on their team before they picked Prior to be on their team, so obviously they thought more of Garland than Prior.

Flight #24
12-27-2005, 11:52 PM
FWIW, heard from an O's fan that they're all atwitter at a rumor that a deal has been agreed to where the Cubs get Tejada and 2 prospects including 1 pitcher, but not Bedard for Prior, Patterson, Hill.

Likely crap, but what the heck.

EDIT: Who the heck is "Tajada", anyway?

Tragg
12-28-2005, 12:24 AM
The cubs have their media outlets working overtime, hypothesizing somehow that by trading Prior and, oh, a todd walker and patterson, they'll end up with TEjada and Zito.
Ridiculous.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-28-2005, 01:44 AM
...Do you think if they pulled of the trade with the Cubs they would turn around and trade Prior to the Sox for Garland...
There is no pink deep enough for this post. :tongue:

peeonwrigley
12-28-2005, 02:41 AM
The Cub fans in my life have finally shut up with their "next year's lineup will be so awesome dude" crap. The last thing I want is them to land Tejada and/or Zito. As much as I like to see them lose, I like it a lot better when I don't hear anything about them. I hope their offseason is over so that I can get through the winter with as little Cubby fanfare as possible.

Blueprint1
12-28-2005, 03:17 AM
The Cub fans in my life have finally shut up with their "next year's lineup will be so awesome dude" crap. The last thing I want is them to land Tejada and/or Zito. As much as I like to see them lose, I like it a lot better when I don't hear anything about them. I hope their offseason is over so that I can get through the winter with as little Cubby fanfare as possible.

The media will keep them in the news all winter.

Hitmen77
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
According to the Chicago Cubs newsletter (a.k.a. the Tribune), the Cubs and O's are no longer actively talking about a trade.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-051227cubs,1,5263682.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed