PDA

View Full Version : Useless Fact

TheKittle
12-24-2005, 04:35 AM
The White Sox became the third team since 1980 who won a WS after moving into a new stadium.

The conditions of this was using the stadiums that teams used in 1980.

Expansion teams didn't count.

Teams playing in renovated/ renamed stadiums didn't count. (Angels for example)

The other two teams were the Twins (The Met to the Dome) and the Blue Jays (Exhibition Stadium to Skydome)

Including the Astros, three teams came close,

Braves (Fulton County to Turner Field) They won the 95 WS at Fulton County. Lost the 99 WS.

Indians (Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs) Lost 95 and 97 WS.

EDIT: The Giants also came close when they lost the 2002 WS because Dusty Baker is an idiot.

batmanZoSo
12-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Useless, I think not. On the contrary, I think it's a very pertinent point you make. And it is well taken, sir! :D:

We ****ing rule.

voodoochile
12-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Useless, I think not. On the contrary, I think it's a very pertinent point you make. And it is well taken, sir! :D:

We ****ing rule.

I concur, the gist of that point is (and it's a great gist, btw)...

The Sox are World Champions!!! :cool:

TheOldRoman
12-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I thought about that a couple of months ago.
Of all the hyped-up retro ballparks that took the world by storm, their combined World Championship total is ZERO. Arizona is the only team that won a title in a new park, but they were an expansion team, and the park isn't really all that retro, anyway.
USCF may not have a brick exterior, it may not have weird outfield dimensions, it may not be located right off the lake, but it will be housing a World Series Trophy forever.
I guess we can settle for that.

batmanZoSo
12-24-2005, 09:55 AM
I thought about that a couple of months ago.
Of all the hyped-up retro ballparks that took the world by storm, their combined World Championship total is ZERO. Arizona is the only team that won a title in a new park, but they were an expansion team, and the park isn't really all that retro, anyway.
USCF may not have a brick exterior, it may not have weird outfield dimensions, it may not be located right off the lake, but it will be housing a World Series Trophy forever.
I guess we can settle for that.

But seriously, this World Championship was just a mite bittersweet without that brick exterior and various other faux-brick work we had all so vehemently hoped for in offseasons past. :cool:

TornLabrum
12-24-2005, 10:07 AM
At least when we won it some of the seats were green!

C-Dawg
12-24-2005, 11:36 AM
The White Sox became the third team since 1980 who won a WS after moving into a new stadium.

The conditions of this was using the stadiums that teams used in 1980.

You could leave the Twins off the list if you choose, say, 1985 instead of 1980 as your cutoff year. Then you could say the Sox were only the second team in the past 20 years to win a WS after moving to a new ballpark.

Lip Man 1
12-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's another useless fact and is very telling about how dominant the 2005 Chicago White Sox were in the post season.

Only two teams in the history of major league baseball have ever:

* Led their league or division 'wire to wire'
* Finished with the best record in their league
* Swept the World Series

The two clubs were the 2005 White Sox and the 1927 Murderers Row Yankees.

Think about that one for a second.

Lip

MarySwiss
12-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's another useless fact and is very telling about how dominant the 2005 Chicago White Sox were in the post season.

* Swept the World Series

Lip

That's even more impressive when you consider that they had no offense and choked the entire month of September! :cool:

TheDarkGundam
12-24-2005, 01:28 PM

* Swept the World Series

Lip

Yeah, but we'll be the first to have done it twice in a row!:cool:

Brian26
12-24-2005, 06:45 PM
The stat that still boggles my mind is this:

The Sox won 16 of their last 17 games. That includes playing in the World Series, ALCS, ALDS and against the on-fire wild card runner-up Indians.

TheVulture
12-24-2005, 09:13 PM

* Swept the World Series

Lip

Excuse me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the Sox lead the entire AL wire to wire as well as the division?

DenverSock
12-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Excuse me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the Sox lead the entire AL wire to wire as well as the division?
I believe so. Not only that they nearly led MLB wire to wire but surrendered that in late July to the Cards, who did not show up to the WS.

:redface::redface:

Lip Man 1
12-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Vulture:

My first comment was 'league' or division.

Brian:

Yep one of the best of all time only the 1970 Orioles closed with a better rush, they went 18-1.

Lip

batmanZoSo
12-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Vulture:

My first comment was 'league' or division.

Brian:

Yep one of the best of all time only the 1970 Orioles closed with a better rush, they went 18-1.

Lip

Let's not get bogged down in semantics. The fact is, was, and remains--we ****ing rule.

Lather, rinse, repeat. :cool:

chisoxfanatic
12-25-2005, 11:04 PM
At least when we won it some of the seats were green!

I think we should make a point to get the Sox to change all seats to teal! :D: