PDA

View Full Version : Few MLB Signings and Trade Rumor

y2j2785
12-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Per Rotoworld.com

Right-hander Jason Johnson will sign a one-year deal with the Indians, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
Not that we're turning into Jason Johnson fans, but how do Scott Elarton and Brett Tomko get two years deals worth at least $8 million and Johnson has to settle for one year? He's averaged 198 innings with an ERA of 4.62 over the last three years. Elarton isn't even close and Tomko only beats the ERA because he's been in the NL. Johnson's arrival means there will be no competition for the final spot in Cleveland's rotation. It also would seem to rule out a Coco Crisp trade, as the Indians no longer need a starting pitcher

Cardinals agreed to terms with outfielder Juan Encarnacion, who had been with the Marlins, to a three-year, $15 million contract.
If GM Walt Jocketty had the money to go this far on Encarnacion, couldn't he have signed Reggie Sanders for $10 million over two years? Encarnacion will probably fade back to his 2002-03 level of .270/.320/.450, which wouldn't make him a quality corner outfielder. The Cardinals appear to be looking at a lineup of: SS David Eckstein, 2B Junior Spivey, 1B Albert Pujols, CF Jim Edmonds, 3B Scott Rolen, RF Encarnacion, LF Larry Bigbie/So Taguchi and C Yadier Molina.

Cardinals agreed to terms with second baseman Junior Spivey, who had been with the Nationals, to a one-year, $1.2 million contract.
That's the right choice. Spivey probably won't be promised the starting job, but he should be the regular second baseman and he might get a chance to bat second. At $1.2 million, he's a bargain. The Cardinals will likely now use Hector Luna in a utility role along with Deivi Cruz. There shouldn't be room for Aaron Miles on the roster

The Diamondbacks and the Blue Jays are on the verge of a finalizing a Troy Glaus deal, a person familiar with the talks told ESPN's Peter Gammons.
The Diamondbacks would receive Orlando Hudson and Miguel Batista and send a prospect back to Toronto. There's still no indication that Glaus is willing to waive his no-trade protection and head to Toronto, where he'd probably be a DH unless something could be worked out.

And some information on a former Sox player...

First baseman-outfielder Jeff Liefer, who spent time on Cleveland's bench last season, has agreed to a deal with the Seibu Lions of Japan.
Liefer, 31, hit .196 with a 15/1 K/BB ratio in 56 at-bats for the Indians and was removed from the 40-man roster at the end of the season.

caulfield12
12-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Per Rotoworld.com

And some information on a former Sox player...

Well, if the Indians have truly decided to cast Millwood adrift, then this is a huge positive for the Sox. We've always done really well against Johnson.

This leaves their rotation as...

Sabathia
Lee
Westbrook
Byrd
J. Johnson

Byrd might be a bit of an upgrade over Elarton, but Johnson is DEFINITELY a step down from Millwood. Net loss...and they still have yet to replace Howry...they had to re-sign an aging Wickman instead of Hoffman...and Nomar Garciaparra got away as well.

That leaves Thomas and Piazza as the last big bats out there on the market.

maurice
12-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Byrd is a good junkballer when he's on, but you never know if he'll stay healthy.

I still don't understand why anybody would want Glaus with his contract.
AZ would have to send me a huge sum of $$$ to take him off their hands.

ChiSoxRowand
12-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Joe Mays also signed with the Royals today.

soxinem1
12-23-2005, 09:53 PM

print those playoff tickets!!!

In all seriousness, I remember when this guy gave the Sox FITS!!!

Crede_Fan
12-24-2005, 05:58 AM

The Royals are making alot of changes just to be in last place in '06.

ondafarm
12-24-2005, 10:25 AM
First baseman-outfielder Jeff Liefer, who spent time on Cleveland's bench last season, has agreed to a deal with the Seibu Lions of Japan.
Liefer, 31, hit .196 with a 15/1 K/BB ratio in 56 at-bats for the Indians and was removed from the 40-man roster at the end of the season.

Mr Liefer should enjoy playing for the Lions. Their power alleys are pretty short and the park is generally conducive to piddling home run hitters looking like really good homerun hitters. I doubt he'll like the turf though.

jackbrohamer
12-24-2005, 10:39 AM
The Royals are making alot of changes just to be in last place in '06.

I don't understand what KC is doing. If their farm system can't produce guys any better than Paul Bako, Doug Mientkiewicz & Joe Mays the organizition is sicker than I thought. They are throwing a lot of money (for them) at truly marginal ballplayers.

SoxFan76
12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
I don't understand what KC is doing. If their farm system can't produce guys any better than Paul Bako, Doug Mientkiewicz & Joe Mays the organizition is sicker than I thought. They are throwing a lot of money (for them) at truly marginal ballplayers.

But at least they're making an effort. I mean all these players they've picked up are better than what they had.

RoobarbPie
12-24-2005, 11:03 AM

I hope they're all short term contracts because a lot of those guys are older and past that late 20's prime....

KC can't really follow the model that the Dodgers have intended to use of signing good players to shorter contracts (Furcal, Nomar) because their minor league system isn't deep and has pretty much sucked the last decade. I think LAD is waiting for all that potential to break through and they don't want to block positions like LAA does... KC - doesn't matter what they do.

buehrle4cy05
12-24-2005, 12:41 PM

I guess they don't realize that giving an A for effort doesn't get you out of last place.

munchman33
12-24-2005, 01:17 PM

The Royals are very thin on talent. Very thin. From the majors all the way down.

The best they can do for now is acquire major league talent. It may not be the best major league talent, but it's something.

They may not be competitive down the stretch, but they'll be in a lot of ballgames. And that means a lot to fans.

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I remember when this guy gave the Sox FITS!!!

With the Twins,when didn't he give the Sox fits??:dunno: :dunno:
A pitcher who,at one point, had an 8-2 record against
the Sox has to be a guy who concerns you.He definitely
apeears to have the Sox' number.

MHOUSE
12-25-2005, 02:40 AM
If I were a KC fan I'd rather see Dougie M. and Reggie Sanders and Grudzielanek playing than some of the other guys they've sent out there. These are guys who wouldn't start anywhere else (maybe a healthy Sanders) so they get a chance to play everyday and the team has more experience than fielding a bunch of AA and AAAA players with not much talent. Dejesus is a solid CF, but Gotay, Teahan, Buck, those guys who were supposed to be top prospects but have really fizzled so far. Some of those they got for Beltran or other midseason trades of free agents to be. Lots of good players got their start in KC, but ran off to the big $$ and KC got little return. (Beltran, Dye, Damon, etc.)