PDA

View Full Version : Cuba offers to forfeit WBC winnings to Katrina victims

munchman33
12-23-2005, 12:49 PM
This will probably lead to Cuba's involvement in the tournament. The biggest qualm the government had was money going to Cuba. They'd be hard pressed to make a case against them now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269713 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269713)

Perhaps this WBC thing stands a chance now?

KRS1
12-23-2005, 01:05 PM
I cant wait til' noone buys those $60 tickets so they can just cancel this whole thing. This is just great now we have 4 of our starting staff in this crap if Cuba is indeed admitted.:angry:

itsnotrequired
12-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I cant wait til' noone buys those $60 tickets so they can just cancel this whole thing. This is just great now we have 4 of our starting staff in this crap if Cuba is indeed admitted.:angry:

Don't count on Contreras pitching for Cuba. I would imagine defectors are not looked upon too kindly.

DeadMoney
12-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Well, first I don't think this will get Cuba into the WBC with this "offer" and second (unless you have heard something that I haven't) the defectors (Livan Hernandez, El Duque, and Contreras) will not be allowed by by Castro or the Cuban gov. to play for their team.

munchman33
12-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, first I don't think this will get Cuba into the WBC with this "offer" and second (unless you have heard something that I haven't) the defectors (Livan Hernandez, El Duque, and Contreras) will not be allowed by by Castro or the Cuban gov. to play for their team.

The fact that money was going to Cubans was the only reason listed for denial by the U.S. government. I don't see any way they won't be allowed now.

Ol' No. 2
12-23-2005, 03:30 PM
The fact that money was going to Cubans was the only reason listed for denial by the U.S. government. I don't see any way they won't be allowed now.You must be kidding.

munchman33
12-23-2005, 06:01 PM
You must be kidding.

I'm not. The denial came by request of the treasury department.

I understand there's a million other reasons. But that was the reason given for denial. And it's been addressed. It would look terrible to deny them now, especially with that money going to U.S. citizens in need.